Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-24-2020, 05:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Red face Keeping the Magic Alive... what have you done...?

Ok, what have you done to keep the magic alive?

Farrah posted about some old wrapping paper and it triggered the memory of my burning little leftover strips of paper from the SANTA roll so my kid didn't have any awkward questions. LOL!!!!

Old 12-24-2020, 09:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have to admit, my primary motivation for not wrapping gifts from Santa is so I don't have to worry about it! ... well, that and I'm a lazy wrapper. I'm good for about 10 gifts and I'm ready to move on. My husband actually paid my oldest son to wrap gifts this year (I still wrapped the ones from me) ... and he totally didn't follow my lead of using certain papers for family members ... and he used about 3x the amount of paper needed for each gift. It's actually pretty funny.

Christmas is always a bit weird for me since it's also my birthday. Ironically, I also share my birthday with my BIL and my SIL's sister. These days people go out of their way to avoid Christmas births, but those planned inductions weren't a think in the 70's, lol.

Anyway, to answer your original question. I haven't done anything too crazy. We put up our tree early this year and I have played a lot of Christmas music. I also brought our Elf on the Shelf out of retirement for Tyler (3). I forgot how much work it is to find a new spot for him every day! lol

Cheers to a wonderful holiday!
Old 12-24-2020, 09:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I have to admit, my primary motivation for not wrapping gifts from Santa is so I don't have to worry about it! ... well, that and I'm a lazy wrapper. I'm good for about 10 gifts and I'm ready to move on. My husband actually paid my oldest son to wrap gifts this year (I still wrapped the ones from me) ... and he totally didn't follow my lead of using certain papers for family members ... and he used about 3x the amount of paper needed for each gift. It's actually pretty funny.

Christmas is always a bit weird for me since it's also my birthday. Ironically, I also share my birthday with my BIL and my SIL's sister. These days people go out of their way to avoid Christmas births, but those planned inductions weren't a think in the 70's, lol.

Anyway, to answer your original question. I haven't done anything too crazy. We put up our tree early this year and I have played a lot of Christmas music. I also brought our Elf on the Shelf out of retirement for Tyler (3). I forgot how much work it is to find a new spot for him every day! lol

Cheers to a wonderful holiday!
I hear so many people that don't like to wrap, I remember my mom will leave me sometimes in front of the JCPenney wrapping counter because all I wanted to do was watch them wrap presents! LOL!! She would go and do her shopping and pick me up there at the end of her shopping spree. Loved watching the ladies do the fancy wrapping and the gorgeous complicated bows. I still love wrapping!
Was Tyler excited about the Elf? What's the Elf's name?

Old 12-25-2020, 12:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a 10 yr old so Santa is very real to him. I showed him the naughty nice list from the North Pole and he has been watching it daily. LOL

We have an elf on the shelf that my teenager who is 16 helps out with...we have a lot of fun with him (BOB).

We also celebrate Jesus's birthday with a cake, singing...this year because of COVID we did a family Christmas eve service in our home. We sang songs, read the Bible story, read several other small stories. Each person had a part (we did it with my in laws, sister in law, husband and her two boys). Hubby even put together a jeopardy game.

Over the last week or two we have watched a lot Christmas movies, went to see lights.
One fun thing that i am working on Scrapping is my husbands work sent letters to the kids in the families (if we signed up) from Santa. It came through the mail with "official letterhead" postage and everything. Even my 16yr old was a little confused. LOL It had an ornament from Santa and a personalized letter to the boys. If you baffle a 16yr old you are doing good.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:52 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The principal at our school 2 years ago told my son's class that he knew Santa was real because he found a hair from Santa's beard left in the milk glass. My son was so intrigued by this that I cut one of the gray/white strands from my head and put it in the milk glass
Old 12-25-2020, 12:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post
I hear so many people that don't like to wrap, I remember my mom will leave me sometimes in front of the JCPenney wrapping counter because all I wanted to do was watch them wrap presents! LOL!! She would go and do her shopping and pick me up there at the end of her shopping spree. Loved watching the ladies do the fancy wrapping and the gorgeous complicated bows. I still love wrapping!
Was Tyler excited about the Elf? What's the Elf's name?
Truth be told, I don't dislike wrapping, but I just have a short attention span I love getting wrapped gifts!

Our EOTS is Stan. He was named by my older boys when they were little. I gave Tyler an opportunity to rename him but he was coming up with names like "Elf" and "Tyler" ... so we renamed him Stan

Wishing you a very merry Christmas!

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 12-25-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We never did Elf on a Shelf, not sure if it was a thing when my guy was little (now 23).
I hate wrapping and will admit to using gift boxes and bags....we pass them back and forth through my little family . Matter of fact the gift from my brother and sil is a bag I recognize from last year, lol.

I am not a 'Christmas' person as in I don't get ready early etc. My tree was up and decorated on December 12 which is good for me, one year it was the 22nd . I do enjoy shopping for gifts for family and picking out something I think they will really enjoy. My nieces are going to be 19 so I get them cash/gift cards but always try to find something they will like that I can wrap. My favourite part of Christmas is when we all get together at my parents, sit down for dinner and just enjoy each others company. We have the Christmas crackers, read the corny jokes, and wear our paper crowns. After dinner is board game time, we get pretty loud for being 8 of us (this year only 4). Those are my favourite parts.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
I have a 10 yr old so Santa is very real to him. I showed him the naughty nice list from the North Pole and he has been watching it daily. LOL

We have an elf on the shelf that my teenager who is 16 helps out with...we have a lot of fun with him (BOB).

We also celebrate Jesus's birthday with a cake, singing...this year because of COVID we did a family Christmas eve service in our home. We sang songs, read the Bible story, read several other small stories. Each person had a part (we did it with my in laws, sister in law, husband and her two boys). Hubby even put together a jeopardy game.

Over the last week or two we have watched a lot Christmas movies, went to see lights.
One fun thing that i am working on Scrapping is my husbands work sent letters to the kids in the families (if we signed up) from Santa. It came through the mail with "official letterhead" postage and everything. Even my 16yr old was a little confused. LOL It had an ornament from Santa and a personalized letter to the boys. If you baffle a 16yr old you are doing good.
So many sweet memories, I love you baffled your 16 yr old.

Old 12-25-2020, 03:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
The principal at our school 2 years ago told my son's class that he knew Santa was real because he found a hair from Santa's beard left in the milk glass. My son was so intrigued by this that I cut one of the gray/white strands from my head and put it in the milk glass
BRILLIANT!!!! OMG... I could have done that! Seriously, such a cute idea!

Old 12-25-2020, 03:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Truth be told, I don't dislike wrapping, but I just have a short attention span I love getting wrapped gifts!

Our EOTS is Stan. He was named by my older boys when they were little. I gave Tyler an opportunity to rename him but he was coming up with names like "Elf" and "Tyler" ... so we renamed him Stan

Wishing you a very merry Christmas!
Sheri,
You have to make a page about the naming of the EOTS... I love that your little one tried to name him with his own surname. LOL!!!!

Old 12-25-2020, 04:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
We never did Elf on a Shelf, not sure if it was a thing when my guy was little (now 23).
I hate wrapping and will admit to using gift boxes and bags....we pass them back and forth through my little family . Matter of fact the gift from my brother and sil is a bag I recognize from last year, lol.

I am not a 'Christmas' person as in I don't get ready early etc. My tree was up and decorated on December 12 which is good for me, one year it was the 22nd . I do enjoy shopping for gifts for family and picking out something I think they will really enjoy. My nieces are going to be 19 so I get them cash/gift cards but always try to find something they will like that I can wrap. My favourite part of Christmas is when we all get together at my parents, sit down for dinner and just enjoy each others company. We have the Christmas crackers, read the corny jokes, and wear our paper crowns. After dinner is board game time, we get pretty loud for being 8 of us (this year only 4). Those are my favourite parts.
Paper crown? What do you mean? I've never heard of this and I am known to never lose an opportunity to wear a crown!

Old 12-26-2020, 01:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post
Paper crown? What do you mean? I've never heard of this and I am known to never lose an opportunity to wear a crown!
They are called Christmas Crackers, an English tradition. You each get one and pull it with someone else, they snap and one person is left with the end that holds a little cheap trinket, corny joke and a paper crown. It’s not Christmas unless we have put crackers . We all wear our crowns (I had a purple one last night), take turns reading our joke, admire each other’s cheap trinket, take photos in said crowns and laugh.

https://www.whychristmas.com/customs/crackers.shtml
Old 01-02-2021, 10:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids are 15 and 18 now so a lot of the 'magic' feels over.

None the less, Santa still came. I still found myself staying up late on Christmas Even to put Santa gifts in front of the tree. Santa doesn't wrap in our house so at least I don't have to worry about the paper!

When the kids were little, there was no lengths I wouldn't go through in order to keep them guessing and make it magical. Santa's sleigh bells on the roof after they'd gone to bed... Santa's footprints in the house... lots of elf magic for years... a Christmas angel, etc.