Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Am I being too critical?

Let me preface this by saying we used a photographer for the wedding that has been doing wedding photography in town since at least 2000 (that is when my mom met him). He has taken LOTS of our family photos and I always refer to him. He gave us a great deal when we booked back in February ... but seemed to be regretting it now that it is wedding time.

He always has super fast turn around (which is nice) and he tends to not do much post processing ... the photos look pretty natural (which is fine I can do my own). I am not even sure if he shoots RAW or not to be honest.

So leading up to the wedding day my "full day" coverage got cut to about 6 hours. He was not with us when I got my hair and make up done. Bill got ready at my parent's house, but there is none of him getting ready.

I made sure to ask him to take detail shots of the tables outside before guests arrived. All I have are a few table shots. Nothing close up of all my hard work ... like the water bottle labels and table number frames and the kid goodie bags. He didn't even take a pic of our sweetheart table

We also had set up a "photobooth" guest book area (I showed off our poster before the wedding). I had cute/fun/silly props and had told him that MORNING what my vision was. Literally all he did was take photos of the guests against the backdrop.

I have no formals of Bill and my In Laws they came late and while I was hidden away in my mom's room none got taken.

What I think is the worst part is that from 6 hours of coverage (and having a second shooter for a good hour or so for the ceremony and some of the reception) I only have 554 photos.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Oh Amber, I'm so sorry that he seemed less than willing to get the perfect pictures of the things you expressed as important. I hope your wedding was beautiful though girlie! You deserve it! Coming from someone who has NO wedding photos, I'd say it's ok to express your disappointment to him, but just try to happy with the ones you DO have in the end, can't go back in time and change it and dwelling on it will only make you more miserable - TRUST me
Old 09-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Bummmer.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:33 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

congratulations on your wedding! I am sorry you are disappointed in your wedding pics. That is awful. Is he willing to compensate you? I know those missing shots can't be re-done, but maybe he could do a session for the family pics that he missed to make up for it?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to SaraAmarie

Ugh! I soo know how it feels to get a dud for a wedding photographer. I am sorry you had to deal with it!!

My mom's uncle is a "professional" photographer. His wife is the sweetest thing and offered him up to do my wedding for free. I was excited- until he handed me 2 rolls of film after the wedding.. 2 freaking rolls of film. Wedding photography is a very sore spot for me. lol

Sorry you had that happen to you!

Blog etc.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My wedding photographer turned out to not be what I expected also. I went to a place that had tons of photos displayed all over their studio from the place I got married, so I figured they would be perfect. Well, they sent out some newer guy who I had never even met when booking. It was a cold day outside and he brought no gloves so his camera was cold and he didn't want to touch it much so most of the pictures were crooked. He didn't step one step to the side so all of my bridesmaids could be in the ceremony shots, instead I have a lightpole rather than the last 3 bridesmaids. He was quiet the entire time and owuld just whisper to me what he wanted and I had to get it together. But the biggest kicker of all to me and still burns me to this day is we had a horse and carriage there, they take pictures of it in front of this gorgeous old house on the property where we got married, he cut off the horse in every single picture. All I have is a horse's rear end! That was too much for me, I had to complain and was given money back. So yes, I can sympthasize with you on the wedding photo issue.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I am so sad for all of you
Old 09-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

You're all making me nervous for my wedding in a few weeks!

Amber, I think that if you're unhappy you should voice your disappointment. Especially if some of the instructions and desires were explained THAT MORNING. That, is inexcusable.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You have every right to be critical... it was your day. I, too, have a sore spot for my wedding photos. 5 years ago, with digital photos, still a new concept, I wanted a photographer to shoot with film... so I picked someone that has been in the area for decades and who a friend had. Went for the consultation and met with the photographer, told her what I wanted... then the day of the wedding, a different photographer was there... super unfriendly... and HER MOM came because she was at a wedding at a church down the block... so obviously, the photographer wanted to talk to her mom. Everything was such a pain to her... I wanted "artsy" photos... got one or two... and of the 150 photos that I did get... only a handful are nice ones. I didn't get a sunset shot, as promised... really nothing at the reception... yet she made sure that she (and her mom) got their free dinner...
Old 09-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

That's so terrible. Try talking to them to see if they can take some money off for you. That doesn't really help you at all with the pictures. I had something like that happen to me, too. My MIL was in charge of the photographer, he was supposed to be good. I had the opposite problem though, I know he took lots of pictures, but for some reason we didn't get them in the proof books. He said something went wrong with the cameras
Sorry again!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

that sounds terrible...I did my BIL's wedding {for free } and I know I didn't get alot of shots, but it was me and me alone so trying to get every shot was IMPOSSIBLE! ~ but if you PAID for it then I would say something, but also you should look at the contract you signed {if you signed one} because some times wedding photographs are NOT guaranteed...I know personally I would never shoot a wedding professionaly..too many things could go wrong or you could forget something, etc and it is not somwthignyou can go back an re-shoot....again, so so sorry

on a side note my SIL wanted to know if she should pay an amateur for $300 or just have me do them I explained to her way in ADVANCE that I might not get every shot and that shw would just have to be happy with what she got and I haven't heard that she was dissapointed.....
Old 09-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

with the deal I do not feel comfortable compaining to him OR asking for a refund. I am very greatful for the photos I got. I just really wish I had made the "shot list" that I was told I didn't need and been more assertive. I was just trying to be a "laid back" bride and not freaking out or being demanding. Guess that backfired on me

At least I had reminded my family & friends to bring cameras so they got a lot of pictures for me.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Amber, regardless of the deal he gave you, you should tell him that you're dissappointed. If you don't, he might do this again to another bride, and I know you don't want that to happen. Deal or not, if you explained something to him THAT MORNING, he should have made it happen. That's unacceptable.

You don't have to be mean or awful or whatever, you could simply write him a note and express yourself.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can't believe he didn't get the photos that you specifically told him you wanted. I think if I were a photographer, and I had a bride telling me these things, I would be writing them down to make sure I didn't forget anything.

I'm so sorry!!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Aw, you are not being too critical at all. That is totally atrocious! I'd be disappointed too! We didn't get too many table shots either, but only because my MIL didn't show up for our wedding party photos, so we spent the time immediately following our wedding reshooting all of the family photos, so the tables, etc .... were a mess by the time we made it to the reception. I would definitely ask for a discount or for a free session in the future. I'm so sorry! The photographer definitely needs to get the feedback!!!