Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-06-2019, 12:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default LOs from scratch

As I'm working on my LO for yesterday's birthday game, it got me wondering...

When you create a LO from scratch (without a template), do you create your own template first? For example, do you create squares (or whatever shape) and then clip things to them?

Or do you just wing it - adding papers & photos and then cropping them?

Or do you do something else?

Inquiring minds want to know
Old 02-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Great question! I don't create a template for myself unless I have a specific idea and the photos need to be a certain size. I make probably half my pages without a template, and I just wing it. Sometimes I'll open a photo, resize it how I like, and then instead of cropping, I'll create a layer underneath, draw a rectangle, shadow that, and then clip my pic to it. For ellies, I just wing that too.

Occasionally if I really love my page, I'll save it and then turn it into a template quickly, but nothing fancy.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:42 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

So glad I wasn’t the only one wondering! I started mine last night just by bringing pictures, papers and elements in. This is my first ‘from scratch’ page... I’m still getting the hang of it and use templates as my guides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley View Post
Great question! I don't create a template for myself unless I have a specific idea and the photos need to be a certain size. I make probably half my pages without a template, and I just wing it. Sometimes I'll open a photo, resize it how I like, and then instead of cropping, I'll create a layer underneath, draw a rectangle, shadow that, and then clip my pic to it. For ellies, I just wing that too.

Occasionally if I really love my page, I'll save it and then turn it into a template quickly, but nothing fancy.

Kelly: out of curiosity, why do you choose to make some of your pages without templates vs with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2019, 12:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlmurrell View Post
So glad I wasn’t the only one wondering! I started mine last night just by bringing pictures, papers and elements in. This is my first ‘from scratch’ page... I’m still getting the hang of it and use templates as my guides.
You can do it! Doing scraplifts are a great way to practice LOs without a template!
I've found that I feel much more comfortable at least creating blocks for the photos, and maybe papers as I'm scraplifting. Then add embellishments as they flow.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I make my own templates, usually. The whole process takes me so long that I love ready-made templates the most! I save all my own templates and use them again.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
You can do it! Doing scraplifts are a great way to practice LOs without a template!

I've found that I feel much more comfortable at least creating blocks for the photos, and maybe papers as I'm scraplifting. Then add embellishments as they flow.

Thank you for the encouragement! I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at the progress I made last night. Definitely a learning experience, but I’m loving preserving memories.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wing! Wing! Wing!

My original layouts are one background paper with a big photo+element+ journaling cluster on the page and paint behind it.

That's why I use templates because otherwise ALL OF MY PAGES would look like that.

My brain has zero ability to compose layout designs. ZERO.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I never make a template first, I'm firmly in the wing it category.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wing it also. That's why I'm with LeeAndra. My pages tend to look a like if I don't use a template.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
Wing! Wing! Wing!

My original layouts are one background paper with a big photo+element+ journaling cluster on the page and paint behind it.

That's why I use templates because otherwise ALL OF MY PAGES would look like that.

My brain has zero ability to compose layout designs. ZERO.
haha that's me too!! And not only will they all look similar but they are also the ugliest I've made so why would I do that to myself?!
Old 02-06-2019, 01:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually start with the elements first and florals and making my clusters. Then I will add pic/journaling card and then add paper layers at the end to see where they would best fit. This is if I'm just purely doing it on my own. If I'm doing a scraplift of a paper layout, I usually do the paper layers first or imitate the cutout (using shapes) and then add the elements and pic.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a winger. I've never thought to make my own templates first.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Kelly: out of curiosity, why do you choose to make some of your pages without templates vs with?
Hmmm..I guess it usually just depends on if I'm feeling creative or not! I am usually a challenge scrapper, so sometimes the prompt will give me an idea in my head, and so in those cases it's just easier to create my own rather than try to find a template to match my idea. Lots of times I don't have an idea though, so that's when I pull out a template (I love templates!!)

Just a couple other thoughts reading through this thread....

One thing I do a LOT when I'm not super happy with my page after making it is to select all layers except the background layer, then ctrl+t to transform it. I will just scale the whole thing down or up, rotate it, and move it around the page until I see something eye catching. It helps me a lot to do this!

When I scraplift, I like to save the layout I'm lifting and open it in PS. I then place it on top of my background paper and reduce the opacity way down so I can just barely see the photo spots, main ellie spots, etc. Sometimes I'll rotate it.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:07 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Hmmm..I guess it usually just depends on if I'm feeling creative or not! I am usually a challenge scrapper, so sometimes the prompt will give me an idea in my head, and so in those cases it's just easier to create my own rather than try to find a template to match my idea. Lots of times I don't have an idea though, so that's when I pull out a template (I love templates!!)

Just a couple other thoughts reading through this thread....

One thing I do a LOT when I'm not super happy with my page after making it is to select all layers except the background layer, then ctrl+t to transform it. I will just scale the whole thing down or up, rotate it, and move it around the page until I see something eye catching. It helps me a lot to do this!

When I scraplift, I like to save the layout I'm lifting and open it in PS. I then place it on top of my background paper and reduce the opacity way down so I can just barely see the photo spots, main ellie spots, etc. Sometimes I'll rotate it.

Thank you for sharing Kelly! I’m still trying to find my way and what works best for me. What a great idea for scraplifting!

Old 02-06-2019, 03:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The thought has never really occurred to me to make my own templates! I do use shapes though to clip the papers to. I usually start with those, then my photo(s). Then I go through and find all the elements I think I'll want to use and drag them all onto my layout at once. Then I start placing them, clustering, etc, and adding/deleting elements as I go. The psychology nerd in me finds it fascinating how we all work differently to achieve the same type of result!
Old 02-06-2019, 03:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't start with a template but I generally do start with a photo(s) in mind and then open up a kit that will coordinate with theme/color (although color isn't too important b/c I can recolor in PS as needed).

I generally wing it, although may have a bit of a design idea in my head. As I add to the page I move things around and often find that even if I had a design idea, it generally morphs into something else as I go along.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

No! I just keep adding everything I want, where I want!

Old 02-06-2019, 03:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha View Post

Haha...you crack me up Ru!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 02-06-2019, 03:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I totally wing it! I have no ideas in my head whatsoever when I start a page. I have a photo and a kit and then I start dragging things on to the page from the kit and moving them around until I like what I see - so basically whatever elements, papers, etc are in a kit determine what direction my page takes!
Old 02-06-2019, 03:58 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Most of my pages (when I get a chance to scrap) are done from scratch and there really are no rules for me. I usually do not create a template first but I might make a few shapes I plan to clip my papers to.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
The thought has never really occurred to me to make my own templates! I do use shapes though to clip the papers to. I usually start with those, then my photo(s). Then I go through and find all the elements I think I'll want to use and drag them all onto my layout at once. Then I start placing them, clustering, etc, and adding/deleting elements as I go. The psychology nerd in me finds it fascinating how we all work differently to achieve the same type of result!
This is so intriguing to me that you pull all your ellies onto the page at once!! What program do you use to do that? I use my "place" shortcut for every ellie and place them one at a time.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

If I'm scraplifting sometimes I'll make a template based on the layout first. But, if I'm making a layout from total scratch, I wing it!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:33 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

When making a layout from scratch, how do you add the textured edges on your papers... stamped/scalloped/torn, etc (anything but the basic straight edge)?

Old 02-06-2019, 05:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I just wing the entire thing. I don't usually have an idea in mind when I start a page, I just start throwing stuff on a page until I get something that I like and can give me some direction.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
When making a layout from scratch, how do you add the textured edges on your papers... stamped/scalloped/torn, etc (anything but the basic straight edge)?

I find it easiest to use clipping masks or shapes and clip my papers/photos to them

Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana View Post
I find it easiest to use clipping masks or shapes and clip my papers/photos to them

I actually just bought those yesterday with this awesome sale... now to figure out how to use them.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

This and This. I wondered if it was'cheating' doing the layering in PSE, but I don't feel so bad owning up to it now someone else has! I just do the paper and photo blocks, the embellishing I do at the end so I just place things where they fit with everything else.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
This is so intriguing to me that you pull all your ellies onto the page at once!! What program do you use to do that? I use my "place" shortcut for every ellie and place them one at a time.

I do this too ... well I have PSE 11 which I believe is the last version of PSE to keep the photo bin. I won't upgrade until absolutely necessary because that photo bin is seriously the business - I open all embellies and they sit there for me to browse and just pull up onto the page where I want.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 02-06-2019, 06:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitysuet View Post
This and This. I wondered if it was'cheating' doing the layering in PSE, but I don't feel so bad owning up to it now someone else has! I just do the paper and photo blocks, the embellishing I do at the end so I just place things where they fit with everything else.
Haha! I think the main reason I place the page in there is because I don't have 2 screens, so it's frustrating to keep having to click back and forth to see the original layout. I'm like you as far as I mainly just use the page for the main layout of photos and big clusters or title. I really do my own thing once I have that part down.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I use this free script in Photoshop:
http://www.avbros.com/english/collector/index.html

You just open everything you think you might want to use on your page, create a new document for your layout, then run the script. It loads everything into your layout document, then you can just turn off the visibility for each layer until your ready to use it.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsashbaugh View Post
I usually start with the elements first and florals and making my clusters. Then I will add pic/journaling card and then add paper layers at the end to see where they would best fit. This is if I'm just purely doing it on my own. If I'm doing a scraplift of a paper layout, I usually do the paper layers first or imitate the cutout (using shapes) and then add the elements and pic.
Wow... really??? I don't think I could start with the elements! That would really throw me. I feel like the papers & photos kind of anchor everything else.
It's so interesting to hear how everyone else does it!
Old 02-06-2019, 08:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Interesting ideas! I've never thought to do either.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
The psychology nerd in me finds it fascinating how we all work differently to achieve the same type of result!
I was thinking the same thing, Kendall!! What works for one person may not work for someone else.

Oh my goodness, Ru! You're so funny!!!

Quote:
What program are you using, Kelley?

Quote:
I do this too ... well I have PSE 11 which I believe is the last version of PSE to keep the photo bin. I won't upgrade until absolutely necessary because that photo bin is seriously the business - I open all embellies and they sit there for me to browse and just pull up onto the page where I want.
I totally agree, Suzanne!! I love the bin in PSE!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

Quote:

OMG! Why have I never thought of this??? Love it!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wing it all the way!!
Old 02-06-2019, 11:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Being a former template designer, I tend to create a template first without the elements--pretty much papers, photos, journal cards and title. You saw with my Love layout, I made that in to a template first because I had to do it without color in order for me to see how I was going to birth that layout without distractions.

But then there are those times, with like Studio Basic and sometimes Wendy, where I just wing it and start placing things left and right--you know, everything but the kitchen sink! It is with these ones, if I like the layout, I'll turn them in to templates for future use.

I guess it depends on the kit and how I'm feeling it. I'm strange, I'm sure!
Old 02-06-2019, 11:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

stamped - use brushes to make your stamps/edges on their own layers and then clip whatever you want to them.

scallop - make a scallop. Take your circle brush and adjust the spacing. Drag the brush to make a straight line (hold "control"). You'll have dots moving along the page. If you want a straight line on the one side, take the rectangle tool and make it the length of your scallop. Once evenly lined up, merge. Fill in any holes where the circles and rectangle meet.

torn - I have an action for that. I make whatever line (straight or not) and then run the action. It's from Atomic Cupcake, no longer in business. But there are plenty of designers who sell CU tears that you can purchase and add to your edges.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:42 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I am one of those who totally wing it, unless I am using template. I usually do paper and photos first, then elements, starting from the bottom up. So, I'll do the paint, scribbles first, before other elements.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I use Photoshop CC. I just highlight them all and drag them onto my layout all at once.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:57 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Here are a few tutorials that might be helpful, based on some of the questions that have come up in this thread.

This one explains how to use clipping masks:

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...lipping-masks/

This one focuses on making your own scalloped edges:

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...alloped-edges/

We have a whole tutorial section of the website that I've found extremely helpful over the years. You can use the search function if you're trying to find something specific.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm pretty much the opposite of everyone in that using templates makes scrapbooking HARDER for me. Scraplifts are fine because I feel so much more freedom, but something about a template feels like too many rules. I LOVE the final results, but the whole process is completely overwhelming to me.

My "winging it" looks something like this:

Choose pictures and kit
Background paper and all pictures applied
Find a photo flow that works for the page
Add some more papers shaped with layer masks
Add in journaling
find my favorite elements that will fit and bring them in
Place where they make sense.
Look for what's missing (need some more of this color there, need some more elements there, that paper was too busy try another, etc)
Add a date

Call it done and don't over-question myself. Done is better than perfect. I think templates bring out the inner-perfectionist in me
Old 02-08-2019, 03:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
Here are a few tutorials that might be helpful, based on some of the questions that have come up in this thread.

This one explains how to use clipping masks:

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...lipping-masks/

This one focuses on making your own scalloped edges:

https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/t...alloped-edges/

We have a whole tutorial section of the website that I've found extremely helpful over the years. You can use the search function if you're trying to find something specific.
Thanks for referencing these, Kendall!!
The tutorials are invaluable!!
Old 02-08-2019, 03:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glumirk View Post
Call it done and don't over-question myself. Done is better than perfect.
This is definitely a fantassic skill to have! I have yet to master it. LOL!! I will question even after I post a LO!!
Old 03-01-2019, 09:37 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
I totally wing it! I have no ideas in my head whatsoever when I start a page. I have a photo and a kit and then I start dragging things on to the page from the kit and moving them around until I like what I see - so basically whatever elements, papers, etc are in a kit determine what direction my page takes!
This is pretty much what I do. Invariably, I end up using only a few elements. I am a very simple scrapper. Although I have hundreds of templates, I really don't even think to use them. LOL That's probably because I started out as a paper scrapper. Also, when I started digital scrapbooking, I don't recall seeing any templates, so I had to wing it.

Why do you make your own template? Why don't you just crop photos and papers that you use into the size that you want? I have, though, clipped papers to papers I have cut because I change my mind.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I've always done this too, probably because I take a scrap lift a little too literal.
As for free scrapping I wing it unless I'm doing a pocket page if it's going to be a pocket layout I create a template first. I've really gotten into free scrapping with no template lately.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia Padilha View Post

What she said!

Old 03-02-2019, 02:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wing it. I love using templates if I'm not sure what I want my page to look like, but I spend forever on a template layout vs a wing it one. When I wing it, it just sort of forms as I make it and it's quicker than a template. Weird really.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:31 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I find it really difficult to scrap without a template anymore. Generally I'll end up making a template first (which I find easy, strangely enough) and then scrap a page with it, or I'll just use another designer's template. I think it feels like too much pressure when I start placing photos and such without a plan. Probably the perfectionist in me. LOL
Old 03-02-2019, 08:32 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I find more freedom within structure than I do in ENDLESS possibilities and options. My brain shuts down when there are too many choices, so I find templates extremely helpful. And I have no problem modifying them to suit my needs, so there is freedom there, too.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Interesting ideas! I've never thought to do either.
Brillant idea.