Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-19-2019, 11:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Mental Health

We are having more hiccups with one of our sons, 20. He has serious mental health issues and refuses medication. I'm reading a book recommended by NAMI - I Am Not Sick I Don't Need Help. It is helpful to know that these issues are common, and there's tips on how to talk to your loved one to get them to a point where they might agree to treatment. Just wondering if others have been there and have any other suggestions. Unfortunately, the root of his problems are mental health related and there's only so much we can do if he refuses help. Sigh. Parenting adults is HARD sometimes!
Old 11-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Does he have a friend that he is close to that he would be open to talking to? Perhaps hearing it from someone other than family would help.. I'm not sure. Big hugs!
Old 11-19-2019, 12:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No advice but just wanted to send hugs and positive thoughts for you to find a way to help him.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I hope you find some way to help. Are there parenting groups on Facebook that could help with this? I feel like these days you can find groups for anything.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sending you hugs. Parenting adults IS hard. Our oldest daughter (my step) has some mental health concerns and refuses to take meds as well. Unfortunately she doesn't listen to any one.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Does he have a friend that he is close to that he would be open to talking to? Perhaps hearing it from someone other than family would help.. I'm not sure. Big hugs!
Thank you. He doesn't have many friends. He likes my sister and she tries to get through to him and has some success in some areas but she has told him he doesn't need medication. Not helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
No advice but just wanted to send hugs and positive thoughts for you to find a way to help him.
Thanks Rae!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I hope you find some way to help. Are there parenting groups on Facebook that could help with this? I feel like these days you can find groups for anything.
I hadn't thought of FB Lea! Duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kiana*~ View Post
Sending you hugs. Parenting adults IS hard. Our oldest daughter (my step) has some mental health concerns and refuses to take meds as well. Unfortunately she doesn't listen to any one.
I'm sorry you're going through similar Kiana. Hugs! I hope things go better there than they are here. I keep trying to remind myself to look at the bigger picture. He's doing better than a year ago. Big picture!
Old 11-20-2019, 02:21 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Hugs, Cindi! I am no help at all here, but really hoping you'll figure it out somehow.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:13 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I wish I was more of a help to you, but I just wanted to say I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I hope you get some answers and all the help both of you need. Hugs.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ask him if he got cancer or diabetes would he take medication for those things? People often forget that mental issues are often physical issues with actual chemical imbalances. Talking is great, but sometimes more help is needed. If surgery, chemo, getting a cast, etc. would make his life better for certain situations, maybe medication might make his life better with this condition.

I hope everything works out for him (and you)! (((HUGS)))
Old 11-20-2019, 08:04 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
Ask him if he got cancer or diabetes would he take medication for those things? People often forget that mental issues are often physical issues with actual chemical imbalances. Talking is great, but sometimes more help is needed. If surgery, chemo, getting a cast, etc. would make his life better for certain situations, maybe medication might make his life better with this condition.

This is what worked with my son. He's not an adult yet, 15, but 14 when we started medicine for his add/adhd. He had refused for 3 years to even try it. And now he sees how much it helps.

I pray and hope you are able to get him the help he needs.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 11-20-2019, 05:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post

I'm sorry you're going through similar Kiana. Hugs! I hope things go better there than they are here. I keep trying to remind myself to look at the bigger picture. He's doing better than a year ago. Big picture!
Thanks Cindi. Hugs back to you. She's 25 and on her own. We'll bring it up every so often, but for the most part, we just pray for her.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post

I've used that exact argument. Tried to explain that that with his brother's disease, too. Unfortunately it hasn't worked yet. Maybe someday!

That's awesome that your son has the awareness that the medication is helping him Stacy!
Old 11-20-2019, 11:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry, Cindi. As we've talked about before, our older son deals with mental health issues. Thankfully he is taking his m fine, but we can't get him to go to counseling.
It seems common for people with mental illness to neot take their meds.unfortunately that leaves those around them to deal.
Sending big hugs and keeping you in my prayers ❤️��
Old 11-21-2019, 10:31 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sending you a big hug and to let you know that my messages are open for us to talk privately about this and mental health matters! It's hard dealing with these "adult" children when it comes to mental health and sometimes you just need to know you aren't alone--and you aren't!

Inbox me here, but preferably on FB if you need/want to talk