Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Thumbs down Shingles

Last Friday, the day after I got my flu shot, I started having pain on the right side of my neck and scalp. Like you get with a kink, but also sharp shooting pain every few minutes as well as some tingling and feeling hot in that spot. Then on Monday I felt some bumps at the base of my scalp, still hot and felt slightly swollen. A few days later the back of my head on the right side was swollen and felt tight as well as itchy with lots of bumps.

I got squeezed in to see my doctor on Thursday and she immediately dismissed it because of my age and where the rash is located. She didn't know what it was, but she just knew it wasn't shingles.

This morning I couldn't take it...I had to get a second opinion because I knew in my heart that it WAS shingles. The doctor on duty at the walk-in clinic just so happened to be my doctors husband so I thought it didn't look good for me. But, rather than saying "I think I have shingles", I just told him my symptoms and he's the one that suggested to me that it was shingles. Took one look and said "100%, it's shingles". I KNEW it was!! He gave me a prescription but it might not work well, if at all, because it's been more than 3 days since the breakout. At least I know I'm doing all I could do to help relieve it.

Now I'm on the search for a new doctor...one that actually listens to me! Anyone else have experience with shingles?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

My mom had them, they're terrible! I'm so sorry!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No experience with them but they sound awful, I hope you feel better soon!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I had them on my arm years and years ago. The doc gave me some wicked expensive pills, and we were newlyweds and poor, poor, poor. I remember scrapping up $10 a day for 2 pills. The pharmacy let us buy them 2 at a time. Crazy. Shows how old I am now! lol He also gave some topical lotion. I slept as much as possible and lots of fluids. No scars, and no relapses. The big thing my old town doc told me was to take it easy. Stress and exhaustion could cause relapses.

Living life to the fullest!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Hubby had them several years back. He said it was very painful. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Haven't had them (yet, anyway). Sounds very uncomfortable. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Banned

profile gallery

My grandmother had them and she said the pain was so awful. I hope you get lots of rest and heal up quickly!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My DH had them and unfortunately, it went all over 1/2 of his face. He had to take valtrex plus other meds. He didn't have pain, just intense itch. He was about late 20's at the time. The doctor was also in disbelief that it was shingles but there was no doubt.

My brother just got it this year and he's only 24. His symptoms were the same as yours. He had to get some expensive medicine (no insurance) and it went away at first, came back again and then finally with another meds (I think valtrex, not sure), it was finally gone.

It may take time and if its not entirely gone, go back to the doctor for re-evaluation or seek a 3rd opinion. The medical staff is set on this being limited to elderly but there are so many younger people (not just my DH and brother) who said they got it.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So sorry that you have them and so sorry that your Dr misdiagnosed you too.

I had them 10 years ago. Back then, they gave me prednisone (my already round face was really a moon-face!). If the Dr gave you any antiviral medication, I would take that. I saw this on the LIVESTRONG website: http://www.livestrong.com/article/24...-for-shingles/ that may help.

I have very little scars. If you feel that your eyes or ears are affected, then go see your Dr again. You poor thing. Shingles are awful! ((hugs))
Old 12-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My Mum has them now down the back of her neck and across her shoulder and then down her collar bone. She went to the doctors who thought it was a muscle spasm in her neck, a few days later the rash came out but the doctors wasn't open until the Monday and by this time it was too late for the anti viral medication to work so she's just sitting it out. Her doctor said it can take a few weeks.

We send lots of sympathetic hugs because my Mum is struggling a bit so we know what it's like xx
Old 12-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

That's awful...hopefully you get something soon to help relieve that pain!

I've never had them, but my dad used to get them on his butt and thighs...he whined like a baby whenever his flared up.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

no experience here at all, but it sounds miserable, so sorry and hope you are well soon!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am in so much pain...not just my head, but all the lymph nodes on the right side of my neck and jaw are swollen and sore as heck! I'm really hoping the anti-virals I got actually do something for me, and soon! I can only take so much Tylenol 3's. My doctor gave me some corticosteroid lotion on Thursday and it seems to numb it for a bit, but not for long. It's really hard to put on too since my hair keeps getting in the way. I can't imagine dealing with this pain for weeks! It's itchy too, but the pain is worse!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oh you poor thing sounds just so awful!!! hoping you heal quicker than expected.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Oh No - not fun... My husband had shingles this past spring - on the right side of his face - and forehead / brow area - very scary stuff! He was uncomfortable for about 10 days - hope you are on the mend soon!

Holly
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

oh no...I have no experience but my FIL had it a few years ago and he was miserable...and since shingles affect your nerves, which causes the pain, it just makes it even worse on top of the itching...{{{HUGS}}}
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Never had them. No fun!! Hope you get through them quick!

Incidently I've thought about getting a shot jsut for this. Anyone else had a shot?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

They have shots for this? My stepdad had them a few years ago and said they were awful. His affected his vision for a week or so in addition to the itchies.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You have to be 50 or older for the shot since it hasn't been tested on younger people. I'll be getting it when I can! I don't ever want this again! The itching isn't too bad but the pain is horrendous! I've almost fainted a few times because of it.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Last summer my then 13 year old son got them! He started telling me that he was having this horrible stabbing pains shooting all over his side! I had no idea what was wrong with him. Told him to take some motrin and see if that took the pain away. Then a few days later he started to get the "rash" It really looked like he had been in poison ivy or something and that is what I thought it was because we had gone on a hike the day before. But I showed it to my neighbors/friends and they said for sure it had to be shingles so I took him to the Dr. and sure enough it was and gave him some meds and it went away after about a week. I had no idea someone the age of 13 could get the shingles but apparently it doesn't matter. GL and I hope you feel better soon!