Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Blurb book instead of layouts for P365?

So I'm thinking of doing P365 again next year (I did it in 2009 and 2010) but I don't like the idea of doing a weekly layout as I'm behind on last years as it is. I still have from July on to do! So I'm thinking of doing a blog as I normally do and print out a blog book using Blurb or something like that. Do you think that's a good idea? Has anyone had any experience using Blurb? (I think Megan has?)
Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I think Stacey has done the Blurb books. She can probably help answer this.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did a Blurb book earlier this year. I LOVE it! Great quality (I upgraded to the premium paper). Only downside is since I hosted my blog on my own domain, they couldn't "slurp" my book so I had to copy and paste all my entries into the software. If you use Blogger you're good to go. BUT you might want to upload the hies photos to your blog instead of resizing them or you'll probably have problems with the photos being too low quality to print.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnidge View Post
I did a Blurb book earlier this year. I LOVE it! Great quality (I upgraded to the premium paper). Only downside is since I hosted my blog on my own domain, they couldn't "slurp" my book so I had to copy and paste all my entries into the software. If you use Blogger you're good to go. BUT you might want to upload the hies photos to your blog instead of resizing them or you'll probably have problems with the photos being too low quality to print.
Ugh..I use my own domain. I could use blogger for it, but can you protect hies photos on blogger? I know you can with WP (at least on your own domain) as you can do an antiight click thing.

Although, c&p'ing 365 posts wouldn't be TOO horrible...less energy and time than it takes to make 52 layouts I'm sure!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I've made all my 365 projects into Blurb books - 2008, 2009 & 2010. They are all a mix of photos & layouts. I did not use the blog slurping thing because mine is self hosted & full of a ton of other stuff. I just used the photo books software & dragged & dropped. It went really fast.

What I did in 2008 was I chose a layout I made with a photo from every month and used them as the monthly divider pages between all the photo pages. I did a landscape sized book that year & just dragged & dropped photos into their preset pages & used a design with a square container for the layouts.

For 2009 I did all the photos in the front & then added the layouts I did with them to the back. This one was a square 7x7, which is kinda small but Blurb doesn't do 8x8 & 12x12 would have been far to much money.

In 2010 I deliberately took photos of certain subjects ever month & then made "A Year in 'subject'" pages with them & put in the rest of each month's photos onto two page monthly spreads (only about 8 per month were left). This time there were few enough pages I could pop for the 12x12 book.

They are great books & have held up to repeated handling by small boys. I love Blurb

You can do the anti right clicking thing in blogger. I had it on my blog for awhile but it was causing trouble with a couple widgets I ran as well so I turned it off

Last edited by Stacey42; 08-04-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennilyn View Post
Ugh..I use my own domain. I could use blogger for it, but can you protect hies photos on blogger? I know you can with WP (at least on your own domain) as you can do an antiight click thing.

Although, c&p'ing 365 posts wouldn't be TOO horrible...less energy and time than it takes to make 52 layouts I'm sure!
Well, since it can't slurp your blog anyway, you can go ahead and upload the web versions. Just make sure you stay very organized on your HD so you can quickly find all your photos that you want to upload into the software (I'd name the files by date and then put all the keepers in separate folders for the month/week/whatever). If you start the project with the intention of doing a blurb book, you cna build it as you go... updating your book in the software right after you blog an entry or maybe once a week or something. Then you wouldn't have this huge daunting task at the end of the project. haha

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnidge View Post
Just make sure you stay very organized on your HD so you can quickly find all your photos that you want to upload into the software (I'd name the files by date and then put all the keepers in separate folders for the month/week/whatever).
I have a folder for each year then a folder within that called 365 or whatever, so I'd know exactly where all the photos are

I'm kind of excited not to do layouts. Because of the health issues I had last year, I got into a funk and still have from July to Decembers layouts to do.