Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question Lithotripsy (kidney stone blasting)

Has anyone here ever had it done? Yesterday I had my second procedure to get rid of a 1cm & 5mm kidney stone in my left kidney and have to go back yet again next week for another one. It's in the city an hour away and I have to get someone to watch the kids each time as well as DH has to take the day off to take me so it's really annoying to have to keep doing it.

Both times I had HORRIBLE pain, like 8 or 9 on a scale of 1-10, for about 6 hours afterward and they say the pain shouldn't be anything worse than what a Tylenol #1 would take away. This next time I think I will insist on a pain shot before I go so that I won't be feeling sick the whole way home then laying in bed for hours waiting for the pain to subside.

Just wanted to see if anyone had it done before and what they experienced.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't had it done but DH has had it several times..I'd say 5 times in the past 10 years and twice this year. He's never had much pain afterward..the worst part for him is just getting over the anesthesia. I don't think you're really supposed to have that much pain so I would definitely tell your doc. In fact the procedure is usually the first time DH has any relief from pain with his stones.

Each time his doc prescribes Lortab for post op I think...but DH doesn't take it..he sleeps most of the day and then the next morning he's fine. This last time he went to work the next day.