Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69
Default Can We Talk Anti Depressants...

I think this has been brought up before but I am thinking about asking the doctor to put me on something. I am constantly yelling at my kids, I always stress about everything {even if it doesn't show}, I don't sleep well and when I get home I really don't want to deal with anybody, but I am constatnly running through my mind all the things that need to be done {dishes, laundry, vaccuming, baths, plus all thos eother things like getting my garage cleaned out, how the car needs to be cleaned out....}getting my husband to do anythign is like pulling teeth as well {he is on his own anti depressants} but I can't even get him to hang a curtain rod on the window but he bitches about the sun coming in the windows...REALLY............don't get me wrong, I love him, but why do I ALWAYS have to ASK for him to do something, why can't he just do it without me asking when I am out my friends and coworkes they are my "therapy" so I do really well when I am not home, but when I am home I feel like I am the worst mom in the world cause all I do is yell and always have a chore that they need to get done {because I have been asking them for days to do it}...plus, sorry if this is TMI, but I have no sex drive and I haven't for years and wonder if I am depressed and don't even realize it....

can any of you girls relate and give me some advice...I feel like I am going to loose it soon thanks for reading if you made it this far
Old 02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well I'm no hope because I'm in the same boat, plus I feel awful because I've gained so much weight. So I'm praying for you Ang...I hope you find the right thing for you and that you'll feel better soon. I'm also watching this thread for advice because I feel like I'm dragging my butt through each day and I'm not even sure why any more.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Victoria Feemster Send a message via Yahoo to Victoria Feemster

Oh my gosh...I could have written your post. I unfortunately don't have any answers for you because I am completely in the SAME position so I will be watching this thread and hope you (we) get some good advice. (((HUGS)))

Old 02-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Angie - is there any chance it could be hormone related? Are you taking any kind of hormones/the pill? Sorry to be so personal, but I started menopause at 43 and those symptoms are exactly what I had/still have, except also throw in hot flashes. My sister started at 41. Even if it's not menopause, it could still be related to your hormones. Of course, even if it is hormones, an anti-depressant might still be your answer.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Mary I am not taking any hormones but I am always hot and I do think I am going through menopause {I will be 42 in Aug} and I have a feeling that is aprt of it as well. But I have felt overwhelmed for a really really long time

I have a dr's appt on Friday and am going to talk to her about the meopause and the anti depressant thing too
Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I felt this way for a long time. On occasion I still the only thing that has saved me, is me saving myself. In december I decided to start eating better and by January I began working out in the gym 6 times a week. I do it for me. Even if I have to wait till 10 at night to go. I sleep better and am growing happier. For me it ment I had to learn to put myself first. Though for awhile I did think of anti depressants. Have you seen your pmcs?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I dont really have any advice, but I hope your dr can help you. Have you tried a therapist/councellor? Maybe you just need someone to talk/vent to? I think Brittney has a good point though - maybe you just need some "me" time or something to focus on OTHER than work/home/kids...HUGS!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I currently take 90 mgs of Cymbalta for my depression. I have a family history of chemical imbalance and was on several different anti-depressants before everything happened with the twins and Colin passing away. I tried many others after my 2nd pregnancy and finally found the right combo for me. 90 mgs of Cymbalta and then I take 1/4 of a 25 mg pill of Seroquel to help me sleep at night.

I still yell at the kids but its not constant like it used to me. Im way less irritable too. BUT a lot of anti-depressants will kill sex drive too. Its that way for me but I would rather be a sane person than be a sex crazed person too. Luckily my DH isnt a horn dog otherwise that wouldnt work for us.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I DID write your post about 5 months ago. I told my doctor and she put me on prozac...it's night and day. I swear, I felt a difference the first day...
Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I tried therapy first and had gone in thinking it was post partum anxiety... but I had many of the things you're talking about... constantly yelling at the kids and no desire to do anything, not even get out of bed some days... at my first meeting she actually said she really thought I had ADHD and anxiety and depression are symptoms of it... seriously, I was sooo overwhelmed I couldn't do a thing it totally debilitated me.... I also had really bad tension headaches, seriously bad, like worse than migraines and it was constant nothing I did helped...

anyways... what I'm saying is, if you think you might need anti-depressants than you probably do... healthy eating and exercise sometimes isn't enough, for me it wasn't because it was more the ADHD that was doing it to me than depression or anxiety... but talking to a professional would be my first step... and don't be afraid to do it... you might be able to just do it naturally, or you might have to take some meds temporarily...

anyways, I'm on meds for both ADHD and also taking cymbalta for the anxiety/depression... the ADHD meds (Vyvanse) will be whenever I need to concentrate, the cymbalta is hopefully only temporary... but seriously, I feel "normal" again and I have energy I never knew I had and oh my gosh, being able to focus and get things done has been awesome... my headaches literally were gone within an hour of taking my first ADHD pill... I hardly ever yell anymore and I'm having so much fun with my kids and family... I'm the mama and wife I always wanted to be.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was you a couple years ago. I got fed up and sought help. It started with some counseling, and eventually they put me on 20mg of Citalopram (which is generic Celexa). I felt the change almost immediately. Mine is chronic, so I'm still on my meds, but you won't hear me complaining!! If I ever forget a day, I can kinda tell (I'm irritable the next day like crazy, and it's a good indication that I missed a day). If I miss two days (it's happened) I'm crying about nothing, pissed about everything, and I begin hating myself again for not being able to control things. So - for now, I'm on meds permanently. Again - not complaining. I'm actually thrilled to finally have something (I've battled this since I was around 16yrs or so, and I'll be turning 31 this month).

I would totally talk to you doctor and see what he/she thinks. Maybe they can take some hormone tests (do they even have those) and/or try you out on a small dose of depression meds. Good luck! I hope you can figure things out soon!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

lexapro changed my life. i lived in constant anxiety, had panic attacks over the STUPIDEST things, felt like a failure in so many aspects of my life, snapped at everyone i cared about...and was just a miserable b!tch in all honesty.

i've been off it for about a year now but, there's no way i could have gotten through the 5 years between when emma was born and when i went off it. i very firmly believe that. i still have days where i think i should probably still take it, but, it's nowhere NEAR what it was before.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
Mary I am not taking any hormones but I am always hot and I do think I am going through menopause {I will be 42 in Aug} and I have a feeling that is aprt of it as well. But I have felt overwhelmed for a really really long time

I have a dr's appt on Friday and am going to talk to her about the meopause and the anti depressant thing too
Angie, your doctor should be able to do a blood test to determine if it's menopause. The bc pill I take helps regulate my hormones and I don't take the placebos. Next month my doctor is taking me off of them though because of my age, so we'll be looking into bioidentical hormones. I tried going off hormones about a year ago and it about ruined my life.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
I ived in constant anxiety, felt like a failure in so many aspects of my life, snapped at everyone i cared about...and was just a miserable b!tch in all honesty.
this sums it up bery nicely!!! and the odd thing, all of my coworkers and friends love me, I think cuase zi simply don't let them know all the stress that I am feeling...I an vent to them wiht no issues, but I don't think they get it from my perspective
Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

and to top off my day I came home to my DD bawling in her bedrwwom and she says come here {in that I now something is wrong voice} and when I get up there her chinchilia is not moving. He is still alive, but not moving no matter what you do...she had to take him to the vet and they put him to sleep and are gonna cremate him.....I was sooo sad and it isn't one of those things I handle well and I am crying as I type this post. It took everything I had to hold it together to let my son {11} know what had happened. ...I ccan't even think of anything right now, but I managed to get the dishes in the dishwasher, a load of laundry folded and one in to the dryer....I am gonna take my ambien and go to bed with my heating pad on my back,....I'll will check back in with you girls on Friday afternoon.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:36 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
and to top off my day I came home to my DD bawling in her bedrwwom and she says come here {in that I now something is wrong voice} and when I get up there her chinchilia is not moving. He is still alive, but not moving no matter what you do...she had to take him to the vet and they put him to sleep and are gonna cremate him.....I was sooo sad and it isn't one of those things I handle well and I am crying as I type this post. It took everything I had to hold it together to let my son {11} know what had happened. ...I ccan't even think of anything right now, but I managed to get the dishes in the dishwasher, a load of laundry folded and one in to the dryer....I am gonna take my ambien and go to bed with my heating pad on my back,....I'll will check back in with you girls on Friday afternoon.
I am so sorry Angie

After struggling on and off with depression and anxiety (not that I realised that's what it was!!) since my teens, I have finally found a medication that seems to be working for me. Recent issues at work and in my personal life pushed me past a certain point and I finally had to admit that I really was not coping at all and I went to my doctor. A script and referral to a psychologist and I am on the way to feeling better . . I have a long way to go, but since I took the step to help myself it seems that my life got better from that day. For so long I had given up on myself, medications caused horrible side effects AND did not work. I guess I got used to feeling that way.

See your doctor, and keep your chin up girl!!! xxx

Donna
Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

hugs to everyone here dealing with this, I can totally relate... especially to Laura. I was taking Paxil for years until I got pregnant last year, then they switched me to Prozac. I have seen a bigger difference with Prozac than Paxil for sure, Paxil just sedated and sapped the life out of me.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I starte with Paxil a gazillion years ago Tanyia and I pretty much felt the same "out of it" way.

((HUGS)) Angie!! I have taken prozac and zoloft in the past and both worked pretty well for me. I gained some weight on Prozac but wasn't too awful. I finally went off zoloft not too long ago after taking it for years. It really changed my life. I'm still pretty antisocial and a tad spacy (was an ADD kid but really outgrew it as I got older) but the overwhelming panic and anxiety I had occasionally aren't there. I don't do well in public situations where there's a lot of people or closed spaces..pretty sure I have a touch of claustrophobia..I also have a kid with the same symptoms around a lot of people and small spaces (yah..Disney was an adventure at times for her)

I went off BCP and got an IUD and I really think that helped a bit as well...I hope you can find something that works well for you and some coping mechanisms to help with the parenting...

P.S...Heather--I have one on Vyvanse and it's been a lifesaver for us! Good luck with it!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, this is me too, and I am 100% positive mine's hormonal. I am about 3 different people throughout the month -- I have a really good week to week and a half; I have an 'okay' week to week and a half; then I have B!TCH week. SERIOUSLY -- my husband and I have an incredible marriage, and my B!TCH week has almost ruined it. I am a completely different person. My husband can tell you exactly what day the switch happens.

It's been a rough couple of years dealing with this. I was on Zoloft a few years back, but I felt like it just kept me flat all the time, and left me with NO sex drive.

I saw my gyno about all this last year. He sent me for hormone testing just to see if anything was abnormal. I was actually hoping something was wrong, so I could be "fixed". But everything came back normal.

My doctor prescribed "serafim" which, when I read the other names on the bottle of generic I get, it lists "Prozac." I only take it as needed -- I try to start it when B!TCH week is almost here (I really have started meticulously tracking it w/ an app on my phone). I just take it that week, and then get off it when I'm back to myself. The doctor said that it would not bring my bad week up to the level of my good week, but that it would bring me up to at least a mid, which is so much better than the low it was. He also said that it's hard for some women to achieve orgasm when taking it, but I haven't noticed that a whole lot and that doesn't really matter for just one week out of the month anyway (lol).

Hope this helps you. Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat. It sucks. I know that. I hate being "that person", because "that person" really only shows her face to the ones we love the most. It's frustrating and sad, and I pray all the time that God will just take it all away...

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 02-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I could have written your post a couple of years ago. Seriously, the depression, anxiety to the point of massive panic attacks, screaming at the kids constantly - I called it 0 to 60 because I would go from just fine to crazy b!tch all at once. I am definitely OCD too, so I can relate to getting bent out of shape over the tiniest missed chore and I have realized that things like that really set me off.

I talked to my doctor about it and we pinpointed that the symptoms definitely fluctuated with my cycle. I've been on a low dose of Zoloft since then and it has done wonders for me. Sure, I still get angry and upset, but it's more "normal" now and my anxiety attacks have disappeared completely. I agree with whoever said that if you think you need something, you probably do. You're the only one that truly knows what you're feeling and you need to go with your gut.

Last edited by HeatherKS; 02-07-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I am on Lexapro and I am a different person. It has been made abundantly clear to me several times that I cannot go off it and I have made my peace with that. I am not a nice person w/o my meds and that's just the way it is. Talk to your dr hon.. I've so been there. Hugs!!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

I know a lot of people who have taken Lexipro and it really helped.

I am not going through menopause, but have had hormone problems since my five year old was 18 months old. I was 36 and my Gyn thought I was going through menopause, except my hormone tests said otherwise. A lot of my symptoms were like yours. I am on hormone therapy but it took me a few doctors to get to this point. Compound hormone therapy is a controvercial subject in the pharmaceuticals and medical world. But they changed my life. I take progesterone, testosterone and an adrenal builder. I also take Benesom, which is a melatonin pill that helps me sleep.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much girls....cant wait to talk to the doc on Friday....and my poor dd woke up to her other chinchilia dying in the cage and I have to make a special birthday cake for ben in 2 days....I hope I can make it through the week.....again thanks for the support
Old 02-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Angie, I am so so glad that you started this thread. I just keep think that I am alone in these feelings and that I shouldn't be so overwhelmed with life. I should be stronger, braver, a better mom, ect. Starting to realize that I need to be honest with myself and not beat myself up. I will be talking to my dr soon also. I love this community. We can talk about the "hard" stuff and still get support. People don't run from these threads. They are here to help, encourage and support.

I <3 SSD! You ladies are the bestest!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Hormones are he!! so it is always wise to have that checked out. In fact you may want to have a some blood work done to see if there are any other health issues that might be causing your depression. When my thyroid levels are off I'm sluggish, moody, will cry at the drop of a hat, forget things like crazy and can become a raging b!tch. I've taken antidepressants in the past, but stopped once I got things on track with my thyroid. If I felt I needed to take them again, I would do so in a heartbeat.