Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2023, 08:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Phone Backup

Do you back up the photos on your phone to your laptop or computer? Or do you use the backup service through your phone?

Earlier today (while traveling) I took the opportunity to delete photos I really didn't need on my phone. When I went back to the gallery, EVERTYHING was gone! Not one photo or video left!!

My heart sunk to my stomach! I spent over 90 minutes trying to find where everything went on my phone. Not in trash - not in any backups.

I ended up downloading software to "find" the photos videos to restore them. I'm SO thankful that worked but I still have no idea what happened, because I KNOW I didn't check everything to be deleted!

The restore found all 1911 photos and 424 videos. I would seriously have cried had I lost all of them!
Old 06-17-2023, 09:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That is so scary!!

I back up my photos and videos to my Amazon Prime account. There is an app you can download to your phone that will automatically upload any new photos when connected to wifi.

Old 06-17-2023, 10:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh no!! I would have thrown up if I couldn’t find my photos. I’m so worried about my photos, that they are in icloud, google photos (where I search for photos to scrapbook), Dropbox them to my computer where they get backed up to our personal servers which then are backed up via blackblaze. Total overkill, haha
Old 06-17-2023, 10:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My photos go to several different clouds, Amazon photo, google photo, Dropbox so I can transfer them to my hard drive and I started paying the .99 cent for the 50 gigs of apple storage too, so I know everything is good to go.

That is scary and I did have to use my Amazon photos once to recover some phone photos. I actually need to do a big update, I deleted everything out of my Amazon photos awhile back because it felt like it was such a mess. That’s a project for another time thought.

I use backblaze on my computer for my external drives.

Last edited by nesser1981; 06-18-2023 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:07 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I don't use my phone as my primary camera but sometimes have to use it if I'm away from home and the battery is dead on the camera in my purse.

So when I do use it to take photos, I email them to myself. I have used Dropbox as well to transfer but had issues in the past. So email works for me.

I then save them to the folders with my camera photos and once a week those folders get backed up to 2 different EHD's.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just had this conversation with Tracey. I lost Bianca's first 6 years because of an error from Apple on their cloud.

Old 06-18-2023, 07:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So happy you got your photos and videos back. I need to look into using Amazon photos.

My phone backs up to Apple iCloud
I have Smugmug and and an EHD for back up
And Crashplan backs up my laptop
Old 06-18-2023, 08:20 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I back up my phone stuffs and photos to my computer by syncing them up, as well as copy them using the image capture to monthly folders. Just in case.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:20 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I back up my phone to my laptop. My laptop has an external hard drive and an online backup.
Old 06-18-2023, 01:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm ... I kinda rely on the iCloud service. I have Backblaze, but because I use iCloud I don't know if it's backing up the photos or not. Anyone know?

I should probably do a better job of it - I have like 30,000 photos in my icloud, which are synced (small copies) to my phone.

Old 06-18-2023, 04:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
That is so scary!!

I back up my photos and videos to my Amazon Prime account. There is an app you can download to your phone that will automatically upload any new photos when connected to wifi.
Thank you for that info! I have the app downloaded and things have been backed up!! Appreciate the info!!
Old 06-18-2023, 04:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Oh no!! I would have thrown up if I couldn’t find my photos. I’m so worried about my photos, that they are in icloud, google photos (where I search for photos to scrapbook), Dropbox them to my computer where they get backed up to our personal servers which then are backed up via blackblaze. Total overkill, haha
Oh believe me, I was close to crying, but was trying not to over-react!! I don't believe there is such a thing as "overkill" when it comes to our photos!!
Old 06-18-2023, 04:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
My photos go to several different clouds, Amazon photo, google photo, Dropbox so I can transfer them to my hard drive and I started paying the .99 cent for the 50 gigs of apple storage too, so I know everything is good to go.

That is scary and I did have to use my Amazon photos once to recover some phone photos. I actually need to do a big update, I deleted everything out of my Amazon photos awhile back because it felt like it was such a mess. That’s a project for another time thought.

I use backblaze on my computer for my external drives.
I used to use Backblaze for my home PC but something happened and it stopped backing up properly. I'm using IDrive currently.

I understand the photos being a mess!! Since this happened, all 1900 photos are in one folder and previously I had them all sorted out. It will take me hours to sort them again - I'll probably connect my phone to my desktop PC and do it that way - hopefully it will be easier!
Old 06-18-2023, 04:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
I don't use my phone as my primary camera but sometimes have to use it if I'm away from home and the battery is dead on the camera in my purse.

So when I do use it to take photos, I email them to myself. I have used Dropbox as well to transfer but had issues in the past. So email works for me.

I then save them to the folders with my camera photos and once a week those folders get backed up to 2 different EHD's.
It's a great idea to email them to yourself!!

I am glad I am not the only one that uses two EHD's!
Old 06-18-2023, 04:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post
I just had this conversation with Tracey. I lost Bianca's first 6 years because of an error from Apple on their cloud.
OH NO Dalis! That stinks!!! I'm sorry!!!
Old 06-18-2023, 04:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalund View Post
So happy you got your photos and videos back. I need to look into using Amazon photos.

My phone backs up to Apple iCloud
I have Smugmug and and an EHD for back up
And Crashplan backs up my laptop
I will have to check out Crashplan, since Backblaze totally stopped working a few months ago. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-18-2023, 04:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
I back up my phone stuffs and photos to my computer by syncing them up, as well as copy them using the image capture to monthly folders. Just in case.
That's a great plan!! We sure can't ever be too safe!! I have to laugh though, I'm not sure everyone is as passionate about their photos as we scrapbookers!!
Old 06-18-2023, 04:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
I back up my phone to my laptop. My laptop has an external hard drive and an online backup.
I have done that a few times, but often times forget! It's sure easy enough to do - just need to get into the habit!!
Old 06-18-2023, 04:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
Hmmm ... I kinda rely on the iCloud service. I have Backblaze, but because I use iCloud I don't know if it's backing up the photos or not. Anyone know?

I should probably do a better job of it - I have like 30,000 photos in my icloud, which are synced (small copies) to my phone.
I am sorry, I do not know that answer Trina!! Don't let anything happen to those 30,000 photos!!!!
Old 06-18-2023, 06:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that, that's a bummer.

That happened to me too. I deleted photos I thought were backed up and synced on all of my photos devices and one dy when I checked to scrap about them, they're all gone. So now, I don't delete photos anymore, and I use icloud and amazon photos and I bought adsitional icloud space storage just in case just to be sure. It was so heartbreaking to lose thousands of photos
Old 06-19-2023, 02:22 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I also use Amazon Prime as a backup for my photos. Its easy peasy to download from computer when I scrap. Some also get downloaded and saved in my photo folders too.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 06-19-2023, 04:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh that'd be heartbreaking to lose those!

My routine is this:
-I backup to google photos at the low resolution- so even if they are "lost" at least I have copies.
- Around the end of the month or beginning of the next month, I open Lightroom classic app on my desktop. It syncs to my lightroom app on my phone and automatically copies all my photos and videos to my external hard drive. After I've done that, I completely delete everything from my phone from a few months back. That way I only really have a month or two of photos/videos physically stored on my phone. When I want access to an older pic on my phone- I just use drop box to transfer them back or just pull from my google photos app.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
I also use Amazon Prime as a backup for my photos. Its easy peasy to download from computer when I scrap. Some also get downloaded and saved in my photo folders too.
You know, I never even thought about using it to find photos to scrap! I usually dig through my phone and email them to myself and open them up on my desktop ... but now, I won't have to do all of those steps!! THANK YOU!
Old 06-19-2023, 06:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
Oh that'd be heartbreaking to lose those!

My routine is this:
-I backup to google photos at the low resolution- so even if they are "lost" at least I have copies.
- Around the end of the month or beginning of the next month, I open Lightroom classic app on my desktop. It syncs to my lightroom app on my phone and automatically copies all my photos and videos to my external hard drive. After I've done that, I completely delete everything from my phone from a few months back. That way I only really have a month or two of photos/videos physically stored on my phone. When I want access to an older pic on my phone- I just use drop box to transfer them back or just pull from my google photos app.
That's a perfect plan!! Thanks for sharing it!!
Old 06-20-2023, 02:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use Google Photos. I pay $20/year for unlimited storage, and I have had zero problems ever. I keep the app on my phone, and as long as I open it regularly, it updates everything to the cloud.

I cancelled my backup for my computer and invested in a second EHD (which I promptly backed up and then left in America when we moved back to the Philippines last month!). I just can't really justify spending that much money to basically just back up scrap supplies and layouts, most of which are already printed. If I lost all my scrap supplies today, I'd be bummed, but I'd also have a good excuse to do some shopping!
Old 06-20-2023, 01:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
You know, I never even thought about using it to find photos to scrap! I usually dig through my phone and email them to myself and open them up on my desktop ... but now, I won't have to do all of those steps!! THANK YOU!
You're welcome!! It's so easy to search too! Just click the year and month! (If ya happen to remember what you're looking for!)

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow