Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When you get a package/certified letter what does your mail carrier do?
bring it to the door 42 79.25%
pull in and honk 1 1.89%
leave a notice in your box 6 11.32%
something else (please explain) 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default mail delivery question (and poll)

I am really annoyed with our mail carrier. She never comes into our yard when we have a package or certified mail. She just leaves the package next to the mailbox or just this side of the fence next to where the mailbox is. We dont have a gate so there is no reason why she cant come up. She doesnt even honk while at the mailbox. Today we got a certified letter with a check in it which we really needed but she didnt bother to honk so my husband had to go chase her down. Ive called and complained in the past about her dropping packages at the road and they said they would talk to her but obviously they either didnt or she doesnt care. When my husband found her about a block from the house he told her we were there all morning and asked her why she didnt just honk and he said she got an attitude about it and just snatched the letter and had him sign it then handed it to him. So now for the poll I am just curious when you get a package from USPS or say a letter which requires a signature does your carrier bring it to your door or at least pull in your yard and honk??

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I live in an apartment so my mailbox is on the wall next to my door... and I don't have a yard. So, they come to my door. LOL!

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 01-17-2009, 02:03 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

my carrier doesn't even bother to try to deliver things ^_^
Old 01-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

that really sucks that she is that rude! We used to have a mail box out on the curb but a drunk driver knocked it out, so now we have one ON our house. The mailman has to walk up the drive to us. He is a nice guy though. BUt maybe you could move the mail box back. Maybe do it in steps. You know, baby steps so the mail person won't know what to think! I would just report her again if you could.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Our mail lady always some up on the deck, leaves the package and knocks. She usually only honks for the other neighbors and if they don't show in a few....she gets out and leaves it by their doors. But 1.) She knows I have small children 2) our mail box is only like 20 feet from our door so she doesn't have far to come

I would totally report her again and this time I would do it by phone, email and certified letter so that there is proof. Then if nothing happens keep reporting her and keep going higher and higher in the chain of command!!! That is bull crap!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Jessica, I think we have the same carrier. Ours rarely delivers to our door. She often leaves things on top of our mailbox or makes futile attempts to cram them into our mailbox. About two weeks ago, she left my copy of PSCS4 at the end of my garage...10 steps from my front door. I'm lucky I even found it!! I have complained several times in the past. I think that the supervisor I spoke with this time willa ctually do something since he's had the same issues with his carrier. He was incensed that one of his carriers would pull stunts like this one has.

Keep complaining. Go higher than the first person if necessary.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think I've ever had a certified letter sent by USPS so I don't know what they would do in that case. UPS and FedEx always come to our door, no problem. We have a community mailbox down the street and as far as I know that's the only place the postal worker goes. I've never seen them drop anything off at anyone's house.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think because we live in a rural community where the yards are all like an acre or larger (ours is only one acre) she doesnt think she needs to actually pull in the yard. The old mailman was much better about this stuff. He even told me when we were having problems keeping a mailbox (teenagers think its funny to hit them with bats at night) that he would bring the mail to the house if there was no box. Not sure what happened to him because now we have this woman. She was just a substitute for the regular guy but now it seems she is the permanent delivery person

Old 01-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our carrier always brings packages or certified mail right up to the door, rings the bell and waits for us to answer. If we're not home he leaves it inside the door if possible or right by the door on the porch. We've had the same carrier for most of the 7.5 years we've lived here and he is very friendly. I definitely say keep reporting her to her supervisors (all the way to the Post Master of your station if need be) cause there is no excuse for her not to do her dang JOB! I have many family members who are letter carriers and I know they would advise you to do the same! Good luck
Old 01-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I'm very lucky to have a great carrier. He always brings things up to the door...I'd be furious if I were you...

Old 01-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A chance to rant about our postman! LOL

Mine brings things to the doorstep, but I've heard him drop or "throw" packages...lucky nothing has broken so far! He also always leaves the mailbox (attached to our house) wide open with the mail in it...even in the middle of the pouring rain. That's a lot of fun.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If we aren't home when the mailman comes to the door they will leave a notice in our box to collect it at the post office the next day. Our mailman lives on our street so we know him so that is really cool!
Old 01-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

We have a community mailbox but if the package is too big for the box our carrier will bring it up to our door, leave it by the door and knock. If it has to be signed for they always come to our door. And we have about 3 different carriers on our route for some reason and they all do the same thing.

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 01-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Mine leaves packages on my car seat. (We never lock the cars, it's a rural area with really long driveways, you'd have to have a car to come & steal a car.)

If I happen not to be home or for some reason there is no car available he leaves them on the porch (sometimes in the storage bin, sometimes not, making it a game of hide & seek when I am expecting things)
Old 01-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

In the small town where we live we only have PO Boxes, so they don't deliver to our house. If we have a package or something we have to sign for, the mail lady puts a notice in our box and we have to wait until business hours to pick it up.

Some places up here where there are only boxes, they have an extra box or two that are bigger for packages and they put the key in your mailbox if you have something in there. I loved that because no matter when I got the mail, I'd get my package too.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We live in the country too. If it is UPS/FedEx, they always bring the packages to the door and knock. Our USPS carrier will pull in the drive way and honk for us to come out if it is a package or something we have to sign for. If we aren't at home then she will put the card in the mailbox.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
I am really annoyed with our mail carrier. She never comes into our yard when we have a package or certified mail. She just leaves the package next to the mailbox or just this side of the fence next to where the mailbox is. We dont have a gate so there is no reason why she cant come up. She doesnt even honk while at the mailbox. Today we got a certified letter with a check in it which we really needed but she didnt bother to honk so my husband had to go chase her down. Ive called and complained in the past about her dropping packages at the road and they said they would talk to her but obviously they either didnt or she doesnt care. When my husband found her about a block from the house he told her we were there all morning and asked her why she didnt just honk and he said she got an attitude about it and just snatched the letter and had him sign it then handed it to him. So now for the poll I am just curious when you get a package from USPS or say a letter which requires a signature does your carrier bring it to your door or at least pull in your yard and honk??
Jessica, my dh is a 30 year postal employee. Simply put, your carrier isn't doing her job. His suggestion, and it's an extremely good one is this. Physically go in and talk to the postmaster or the supervisor (depending on the size of your office. With yours being rural,i'm guessing it's fairly small, so the PM). IF they give you a hard time, and this is only if you're treated like gum on the bottom of a shoe, let them know you're going to write your congressman. Believe me, that works. The problem should stop at the office, that's their job. But if it doesn't work, call your congressman if the previous step doesn't work.
You've just got a lazy carrier who doesn't want to do her job.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think Im going to do that. Its been awhile since the last time I talked to them. It is kinda annoying especially since we were home all day and we know for a fact she didnt try to pull in or even honk. I dont even expect her to bring it to the door...I can walk out to her car. She doesnt even have to get out and we have a circle driveway so she doesnt even have to back out LOL just pull back around.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
Our mail lady always some up on the deck, leaves the package and knocks. She usually only honks for the other neighbors and if they don't show in a few....she gets out and leaves it by their doors. But 1.) She knows I have small children 2) our mail box is only like 20 feet from our door so she doesn't have far to come

I would totally report her again and this time I would do it by phone, email and certified letter so that there is proof. Then if nothing happens keep reporting her and keep going higher and higher in the chain of command!!! That is bull crap!!!

I've never even heard of honking, if I heard a honk I'd just ignore it LOL Of course our mailbox is a cluster at the end of the street so boxes are just left in a locked box unless they don't fit then they are left on the porch. I THINK they are legally supposed to attempt to deliver certified mail!

Old 01-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Uggh, this is a topic I could go off on!

Our mailperson brings NOTHING to our door...our mailboxes are basically apartment-style...all in one spot and locked. If we have a package, there are about 10 large locked mailboxes...she'll put the package in one and drop the key to the box in our mailbox.

But anything that has to be hand delivered/signed...she doesn't even try to deliver...she sticks that 'sorry we missed you note' in our box. Never mind the fact that DH works nights and is home all day, and I'm a SAHM...so there's always somebody here in the daytime. I've griped and complained about it, but it never does any good.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to juliemarie

We're in a rural area, and have 2 mail carriers. One is really nice, the other is not.

The nice one always brings packages to the door, when I'm not home she leaves the mail under the package at the door so I don't have to go to the box aslo, she calls me by name, visits with me etc.

The not so nice one, 2 years ago when we moved to this house, she informed us our driveway was too difficult for her SUV (this is SUMMERTIME she is saying this...) so she leaves packages on top of the mailbox. Doesn't matter if its raining, snowing, or windy (I have had them blow off and the neighbors dogs get them). In the wintertime, most of the time she won't leave us mail in the mailbox, saying it hasn't been plowed out enough to get to the mailbox. Oddly enough I have no trouble getting to the mailbox in my car or truck to see if there is mail.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to juliemarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke W View Post
Jessica, my dh is a 30 year postal employee. Simply put, your carrier isn't doing her job. His suggestion, and it's an extremely good one is this. Physically go in and talk to the postmaster or the supervisor (depending on the size of your office. With yours being rural,i'm guessing it's fairly small, so the PM). IF they give you a hard time, and this is only if you're treated like gum on the bottom of a shoe, let them know you're going to write your congressman. Believe me, that works. The problem should stop at the office, that's their job. But if it doesn't work, call your congressman if the previous step doesn't work.
You've just got a lazy carrier who doesn't want to do her job.
We are in a rural area on a highway contract route, which has been explained to me, is that the route is routinely put up for bid, and the lowest bid gets it. The mail carrier isn't an employee of the USPS, but rather a subcontractor, and they are only obligated to deliver to the mailbox, nothing more. If there isn't room for the package or there is a signature required, all they are required to do is leave a notice to pick up at the post office. Any idea if what I've been told is true?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

um, we don't have mailboxes here, we have to go to the post office to get our mail. If it's a package or a certified letter, they leave a slip in our box that we take to the counter, they scan the slip and give us whatever is there for it (we sign if needed).
Old 01-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneskids View Post
um, we don't have mailboxes here, we have to go to the post office to get our mail. If it's a package or a certified letter, they leave a slip in our box that we take to the counter, they scan the slip and give us whatever is there for it (we sign if needed).
Dude...they scan the slips there? Hahahha...ours is allll done by hand here. They finally got electronic equipment so they can weigh and ship packages, and a debit/credit card machine! But it's not up and running quite yet. LOL!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I get my mail at a PO Box now, but the last place we lived the UPS lady was the problem. She would chuck the box in front of the door, ring the doorbell and take off. It didn't matter what the package was marked or what it was like outside. She left personalized M&Ms outside in 90 degree weather when it was marked that it was perishable and had M&Ms written on it. She also came during naptime and was forever waking Nicholas. The one we had in the place before that just didn't deliver most things. I swear I have never had so much mail lost in my life. Sometimes things would show up that had been postmarked weeks earlier, too.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we have the best mail carrier EVER. seriously. like today... we already had about a foot and a half of snow on the ground and it snowed on and off all day. she had a package for me (too big to put in our mailbox), but rather than just toss it on the porch and take off she first went to our box and took out the stack of mail that was still there from yesterday (um, dh brings it in like every 2-3 days). then she brought yesterday's + today's + our newspaper that was lying in our driveway + a biscuit for our doggy, rang the doorbell and waited 'til I came to the door. the mail/paper was handed to me and the biscuit was placed directly in doggy's jaws while she petted her little head. and all this WITH a smile on her face... during a snowstorm! she's awesome.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I am on very friendly terms with my mail lady (Renee), my UPS man (Ernie) and my FedEx lady (Cheryl). They always come to my door and Cheryl even gives my doggy a treat when she comes. He LOVES her! LOL
Old 01-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah I would be pretty peeved!! Thats nuts. Mine always comes to the door.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You are so going to envy our mail lady...she also is our back yard neighbor...she knocks on the door when we have something that needs a signature...and she feeds our dog treats...she is the favorite in the neighborhood. My dog barks when she comes to the door to drop off mail...not because he is alerting us...because he wants to go outside and see his friend with treats. lol

We gave her a huge bag of dog treats from Sam's Club for Christmas...I figure she prob goes through a ton of treats in a year. She is the sweetest lady!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Joe comes to my door. my mailman.