Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-17-2023, 10:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default dSLR

My dSLR is from 2008. It's obviously very slow and pretty unusable now. I have not felt the need to get a new one though since my iPhone has such a great camera now. But....all that said, I am going to Europe next year and questioning if I need a better camera for the trip. What do you think, do I need one or is my phone still good enough? It's a trip with my master's program to view the sites important to the liberation of France in WWII, including London, a ferry ride to Normandy, and then on to Paris.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would just take my phone and actually get more shots with it because it's so easy to whip out and use. Have fun on your trip!
Old 02-17-2023, 11:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Lynn. It's way more practical to use your phone since lugging around a DLSR is a PITB. The quality is probably better, but I'm not sure that would be enough to offset the convenience factor. If there is a new version of your phone that has a significantly better camera, I'd consider a phone upgrade over a DSLR.

My husband and I did a similar trip back in the early 2000's and it was fabulous! I hope you have a really fabulous time!
Old 02-17-2023, 11:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree, if you can get a phone upgrade I'd consider that before buying a DSLR.
have fun!!!

Old 02-17-2023, 11:59 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

What everyone said here. Phone camera is now so so good!
Old 02-18-2023, 02:48 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The best camera is the one you have with you. Phone cameras have improved significantly, and you can get some great snapshots that way.

On the other hand, if you want to capture more artistic shots as opposed to snapshots, a "big girl camera" is the way to go. I just got back from 9 days on Kauai in Hawaii, and I'm SO glad I brought my pared-down travel camera kit.

If you're going to replace your camera, I'd suggest going mirrorless instead of a DSLR. That's the direction all the big manufacturers are heading - Nikon, Canon, and Sony - and if you get a 28-200mm lens, it's perfect for travel. You can go from a wide-angle landscape or sunset shot to a zoomed-in closeup on people or architectural details, all without changing the lens.

The best camera is the one you have with you; it comes down to what you're willing to carry. I used my phone for snapshots last week in Hawaii, but I got the best photographs with my Nikon Z7ii and I'm so glad I brought it with me. For a once-in-a-lifetime trip like you've described, I'd want the more powerful camera. But then again, I'm a photography nut.

Old 02-18-2023, 11:47 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Angie at looking into mirrorless
Old 02-18-2023, 12:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

In 2018, we went on a road trip to seven different national parks. I used my Pixel phone instead of taking my big camera, and the photos turned out great. I think that it depends on whether you value photography over convenience and comfort. For me, I hated the idea of carrying around a heavy camera while we were walking, but if I was nitpicky about my photos and didn't mind the inconvenience, I'd have taken my camera. In the end, it all depends on what you value most.
Old 02-18-2023, 12:30 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I like Angie's way of thinking because any photos I take with my phone are blurry. I just can't get into using a phone for my camera because my hands shake when taking photos. Heck, I have a small camera that is in my purse at all times and use it instead of my phone. I need something to grip and a phone just doesn't do it for me but regular cameras do.

For a once in a lifetime trip, I would definitely take my Rebel. But again, like Angie, I'm a photography nut.
Old 02-18-2023, 11:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I debated this with Disney - decided to go with just my phone. I got a cross-body case for it, which I absolutely loved. It meant I didn't have to have a pocket or shove it in my bra, and it was quickly accessible.

Old 02-19-2023, 12:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A camera phone is portable and easy, that is true. I have a full frame sony mirrorless and lenses but don't travel with them. It is considerably lighter than my nikon d500 and lenses were but still too much hassle to want to travel with. I prefer portability when traveling. My other sony mirrorless is perfect for traveling, it is the rx10 iv and zooms from 24-600. I also bring my nikon p950 which is also fairly small and light and has a crazy long zoom on it so great for wildlife when traveling but not good for indoors. I love the sony mirrorless but I hear good things about all of the other brands too.
Old 02-19-2023, 10:13 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'd consider just upgrading your phone and really take some time to learn what your phone camera can do, because they actually can do a lot that most of us can do with a dslr.

When I was taking classes early in my photography degree, I tried taking two dslr cameras when we went to Hawaii because I was taking a film class at the time and wanted digital too, that was a mess.

I took my dslr when we went to Yellowstone and used it, but I also had my car with me, and we were always close to the car it seemed, unless we headed out on a hike.

I've stopped taking my dslr on other trips, even when we did DC for my daughter's 8th grade trip when I knew it would be mostly the details and buildings, it just wasn't worth the pain of swapping lens and the heavy bag.

Last edited by nesser1981; 02-19-2023 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 05:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I went on 6 weeks trip in the US recently and I brought my dslr but I ended taking 90% of my photos with my phone. It's more convenient and I'm happy with the photos quality as well.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like an amazing trip! If you already had a camera, I'd say bring it and see if you use it. But if you're going to invest money in something and you're not using a real camera at home anymore, I'd go with a phone upgrade instead.

Last edited by rach3975; 02-20-2023 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
The best camera is the one you have with you. Phone cameras have improved significantly, and you can get some great snapshots that way.

On the other hand, if you want to capture more artistic shots as opposed to snapshots, a "big girl camera" is the way to go. I just got back from 9 days on Kauai in Hawaii, and I'm SO glad I brought my pared-down travel camera kit.

If you're going to replace your camera, I'd suggest going mirrorless instead of a DSLR. That's the direction all the big manufacturers are heading - Nikon, Canon, and Sony - and if you get a 28-200mm lens, it's perfect for travel. You can go from a wide-angle landscape or sunset shot to a zoomed-in closeup on people or architectural details, all without changing the lens.

The best camera is the one you have with you; it comes down to what you're willing to carry. I used my phone for snapshots last week in Hawaii, but I got the best photographs with my Nikon Z7ii and I'm so glad I brought it with me. For a once-in-a-lifetime trip like you've described, I'd want the more powerful camera. But then again, I'm a photography nut.
I echo Angie!