Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When was your child potty trained?
18 months - 2 years 7 9.59%
2 years - 2.5 years 17 23.29%
2.5 years - 3 years 23 31.51%
3 years - 3.5 years 29 39.73%
3.5 - 4 years 13 17.81%
4+ years 7 9.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner
Default When was your child potty trained?

poll posted

Last edited by LenaGardner; 05-29-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I allowed multiple choice since many of us have multiple children who are potty trained.

If s/he is still wearing a pullup at night, I still consider that potty trained.

Just curious what the norm is.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:34 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

somewhere btwn 20-22 months, I can't remember exactly atm.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnieBananie

Both kids PT'd within a few months of turning 3... stubborn turds.

ETA: But that was TOTALLY trained. No pull-ups at night, etc.

Last edited by AnnieBananie; 05-29-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My daughter was right around 2. She was going potty before she was 2 but got a really bad case of the flu so I gave up potty training for like two or three weeks.

My second son was potty trained at home and at night around 3-3.5 but had accidents when we were out of the house. Like one day we were at the park and he was playing and went #2 in his pants because he was to busy playing to stop to tell me he had to potty.

My third was almost 4. He just was not interested at all in going potty. I finally stopped using pullups and just took him like every thirty minutes until he got it

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-29-2009, 10:49 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

My daughter was at about 2.5 and my sons at 3.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

also wanted to add in my experience girls are soooo much easier to potty train and your first is much easier to do then subsequent children. This was my experience anyhow.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

JP was fully trained (night trained too) by 2½--then my mom decided he wasn't read and stuck him in diapers again. So--finally trained around 4.

Devin took nearly two years to train--he was finally FULLY trained at 4½. He was night dry for over a year before he was day trained.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Mine were all around age 2.5-3, two girls and a boy. Mine all night trained at the same time as day trained, lucky for me.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

Mine were both trained within weeks of turning three. And, like Annie, that was 100% trained. Cameron never has had a bedtime accident. And Connor just potty trained POOF out of the blue. One day he was refusing and the next day he was potty trained for the most part.

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tried at 2, 'cos my mum told me to, and then again at 2.5. We failed miserably each time and he was sooo upset - but when we tried again at just after his 3rd birthday, Alex was in pants and dry immediately - both day and night completely dry (apart from the odd hiccup at night when ill - but that's more than forgivable 'cos he's my boy ).
Old 05-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Three of my boys were trained (day and night...I started the training and within one week they were dry for both) at 2 years 10 months. One of mine had a lot of trouble with it...his urine didn't concentrate, so when it was coming...it was coming! LOL!! He was probably about 3 1/2. He wasn't night trained till he was much much older though. He went through allergy testing and a lot of other things, which finally worked.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Rachel is 3-1/2 and still not completely there. She's good at home where she can just go whenever she needs to go, but she's apt to go in a pullup if we are out and about. She does NOT like sitting on an adult-sized toilet seat (she fell in at her sister's house last year and I think it scared her,) She still wears a nighttime diaper at night (cheaper than pullups), but I'm going to start getting her up a couple of times a night to go...dreading that because she is a total grouch if you wake her up!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Both of ours girls were easy to train, Kaylie was 2.5 and Kelsie was about 3mo past 2. My DH is a teacher so he was home during the summers (I was still working at the time) with the girls and he doesn't like changing diapers so he potty trained them instead! They were already showing signs of being ready so I'm sure that helped make it easier on him. Kyle just turned 2 at the beginning of this month and he has zero interest in the potty so I'm thinking he will be alot harder to train. We were hoping to train him this summer when DH is home again but I'm not so sure that's going to happen.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

My son just turned 3 earlier this month and still refuses to train. I need to just hunker down in the bathroom with him all day or something. The little girl that I babysit is 22 months and is pretty much completely trained now - she's gone all week without an accident. Sure wish Logan was that easy. My daughter was trained by 3...oy was she stubborn!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest dd was a mess. She was almost fully PT until dd #2 was born and she regressed, then she'd do well for a while and then regress again. She was finally daytime trained at about 3.5.

My second dd trained herself over one weekend right after she turned 2. She just decided to start using the potty and by Monday, she was in panties full time and never looked back.

My son (20 months) has been showing interest for over a month now - he goes when we change him, before baths, after he gets up from his nap, etc. I was planning to wait until MUCH later to give it a try with him because I didn't want the frustrations with starting too early but it looks like he's going to drag us into it. LOL
Old 05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mason was older than 4 (but that was because of bathroom issues stemming from chemo)...Natalie trained herself just before she turned 4.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest potty trained just after his 4th bday when I laid down the law and got hard core on him. He's still the most willful child I've ever seen.

My 2nd and 3rd boys potty trained at 2 3/4 and 2 1/4 and they were easy peasy.

Sam is 2 3/4 right now and is not ready. He is able to start and stop and go on the toilet if he tries but he seems unaware when he needs to pee. Just not ready. We'll try every couple months and hopefully he'll get it this fall.

None of my kids nighttime train at the same time - they wear pull ups a long time - they all have a hard time with it. (I only have one in pulls ups now thank goodness!)
Old 05-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Abby was fully trained in 1 day at 3 1/2 when she found out she couldn't go to dance class unless she was potty trained. So clearly, she was ready, she just didn't want to do it.

JJ.. we're still not there. He turned 3 in Feb. He goes in both the toilet and his pull up... pretty much with no rhyme or reason. I'm not stressing yet. He won't go to Kindy in pullups.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've had it easy. Jilly was trained in about 2 weeks shortly after her second birthday. Evie woke up one Saturday & decided that she was going to use the potty. And that was that - she had just turned 2. Both were night trained a few months later.

And truely - this was the only parenting thing easy with Evie so far & even that was hard.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Sometime after age 3 they both started training. DS1 & I had a battle of wills over it at some point & he was almost 4 before he was fully trained. He has emesis as a result & even now at age 6 we're still doing regular scheduled potty visits. He still has night accidents sometimes. DS2 took a couple months to decide he was done with diapers but once he did that was it, he was dry & nigh. he only has accidents now when he is too engrossed in a Wii game to stop and wee.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Both my girls were trained at 2 years old exactly..it took about 5 days!

I tried at 30 months with my oldest DS, but he was not having that. I tried again at 35 months and he was trained within 5 days!!! BTW he has always seemed about a year "slower" then my girls (emotionally and to an extent some physically...at least with language)....so go figure!

With my youngest DS (he's almost 16 months) I'm not even gonna try probably until he is 3 years old!!! Although he seems to be hitting his milestones along the same timeline as the girls...so he might be different. But I figure I'm gonna have a new one in diapers here in a few months so what's it matter if he's still in them!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Kat Stokes Send a message via Yahoo to Kat Stokes

Derrick refused to potty train for me or my mom. So, DH did it when he was about 3-1/2. Worked out well. I left the house for the day and came back to a child who was completely trained. LOL!!! (DH made him clean up his own dirty diaper and he didn't like it one little bit. So, DH told him that mommy and g-ma didn't like to clean up the mess either so he had to start using the big boy potty. It worked!!!)

I am hoping Rhett will be trained sooner since his sitter will actually work on it with him.

Proudly creating for:
Libby Pritchett

Old 05-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I just wanted to add that mine trained within a few days. I think when they're really ready, it's not difficult, at least that was my experience. I had tried all of them previous to their successful attempts, and it backfired on me, they just weren't ready. I am just so stoked to never have to do it again
Old 05-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo_Bryn

I don't have the patience for it yet... Yorick will be 2.5 in August... and he just doesn't seem to get what your supposed to do yet.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:28 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo_Bryn View Post
I don't have the patience for it yet... Yorick will be 2.5 in August... and he just doesn't seem to get what your supposed to do yet.
when he's ready bryn he'll prolly just do it on his own. It's all the fighting withthem that makes it take longer (imo.. I obviously only have my kid to go off of here.. lol). But in general.. even in this thread.. you see they just did it all of a sudden and it only took a couple of days. That's when you know they're ready. so don't even think about it.. lol.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Started trying with Avery at around 2 1/2 he was NOT ready even though he'd been being dry overnight for several months. Stopped pushing it and then all of a sudden about a week before his 3rd b-day he told me he had to go potty, went and that was that..no accidents, and was in regular undies even at night within 2 weeks. To this day he has never wet the bed (knock on wood lol)

Old 05-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We tried at different points with Nathan after age 2. At 2, 2 and 2 months, etc....Then all of a sudden one day at around 2 and 7 months, he just got it. So I knew going into potty training age with Naomi to not push it.

When SHE started showing interest at around 2 and 2 months, we tried and successfully potty trained her....she went in the potty both pee and poo, and wasn't having accidents, was wearing a pull up at night.

When David came home in February she immediately un trained and I haven't pushed it at all. She's been back in pull ups for the last 3 months.

Now, she's about 2 and 7 months, same age as Nathan, and I began to wonder what was normal and what wasn't. I'm not trying to re-train her right now. I'll consider it later in the summer but right now I'm just not interested in the comittment and would rather just change pull ups unless she expresses interest.

I was really curious what the norm was though. I'm glad to see it's a bit later than I thought.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Michael was completely potty trained somewhere between 3.5 and 4 (but mostly long before then) and Thomas is still in the process. He'll be 3 in August. The frustrating thing is that Thomas is totally capable, he just chooses not to! He goes in the potty about 50% of the time *shakes fist* Right after he turned two, he said he was going to wait for his third birthday and then a few months later, he said he wanted to wait until June (which is coming right up). I am pretty flabbergasted that he actually has an agenda for this! The boys have been in daycare, so I haven't had as much time to work on it.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

my youngest turned 3 in March and he still has ZERO desire to use the toilet. He keeps saying he is a baby...It's driving me NUTS!
Old 05-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Libby was fully trained at 2 years 3 months. She was pretty easy, thank goodness!!
Old 05-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Sheri sounds like our kids are a lot a like! Boo to them though for being little Bums about it.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Emma was 2 years and about 3 months when she was trained. We never did pullups because she associated them with diapers.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest was 3 years 4 months. And it was easy and she was night trained right away as well... no pullups.

Hannah is 2 1/2 years old and we haven't even started. I will probably start in a few months, but I'm in no hurry. I don't want to worry about cleaning up accidents with my newest little one still so new.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
LOL

I'm convinced they train themselves and pretty much anything you try before they are ready is worthless... We tried everything under the sun with DS between the ages of 2 and 3, and nothing worked... Then at age 3.4, he took his diaper off and said "I don't want to wear diapers anymore," and never did again... So with DD, we decided not even to BOTHER until after age three... at arouond age 2.10, the preschool/daycare people came up to us and said "ummm.. we are wondering why you keep sending diapers? Penny has been toilet trained for months." OMG -- the stinker was totally using the potty at school but NOT AT ALL at home... Little stinker!!! She just turned 3 and is trained at home also, now that we figured out she can do it!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

See, my son is 2.5 and has zero interest in PTing. My mom kepts insisting he needs to start doing it, but I feel like its not a big deal yet.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWerners View Post
at arouond age 2.10, the preschool/daycare people came up to us and said "ummm.. we are wondering why you keep sending diapers? Penny has been toilet trained for months." OMG -- the stinker was totally using the potty at school but NOT AT ALL at home... Little stinker!!! She just turned 3 and is trained at home also, now that we figured out she can do it!

bahahhaaa...that is hilarious.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I was lucky with Ava. She was fully trained day and night by 22 months. We did the nekkid method. She only had 3 accidents on the floor (not fun to clean up ) and maybe 2 pee accidents in her undies since then (she will be 3 in August)
Old 05-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Gabe was a couple months after 3. Ezra just turned 3 a month ago and I have finally gotten him into talking about it, lmao! Might be later...
Old 05-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DS was right around 3 years old.

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 05-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We are potty traing Jason right now! He has been doing great for two weeks!!! He is diaper free when he is awake and has had very few accidents!! Yay!! Jason will be 3 on June 28.

My oldest was over 3.5 years when he was potty trained.

The little guy...well, he will be 2 on August 31 and we haven't started anything with him yet.

ETA: We just bought a foldable toilet seat that fits right in the diaper bag. It was $10 from BRU online. Jason still has some troubles when we are out in public b/c he is SCARED of bathrooms, always has been. We can't wait to use it...we just got it yesterday. Jason did try it out in the bathroom here...he put it on all by himself.

Last edited by kim21673; 05-29-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

um... i need a 'not yet' option.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:12 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Jason used the potty for the first time at 19 months (his idea), so I foolishly thought he'd be so easy to train. Ha. Every time I tried to get him to train fully he started resisting and stopped using the potty. He was finally potty trained at 3 yrs, 3 months, and that time it was easy. Physically he was ready early, but it took him a lot longer to be mature enough.

Ben is about that age now and not at all ready. He has low muscle tone, though, so from what I've heard/read that will probably delay things about a year.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:59 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

DD will be 4 in two months and still has the occassional accident at night but otherwise was day dry a few months back

CT for Britt-ish Designs & Amy Jaz Designs
Fan of SSD
Old 05-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest was the hardest...he would do one...but would hold the other in...he just didn't want to poop in the pot. We ended up having to take him to the doctor a few times because he was technically FOS and in a lot of pain. He was prob 4 years old.

Mine are all boys...I think that might make a difference as well.

My 2nd and 3rd are 17 months apart...once the 2nd one got trained...the 3rd one wanted to try. Can't remember ages for absolute sure though.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My DS was four because he was just too stubborn to take off the diapers.

Both my DDs were between two and three. They wanted pretty panties! LOL