Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-21-2022, 11:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Getting rid of daylight savings?

A bill unanimously passed the US Senate last week to get rid of daylight savings time in the US and be on daylight savings time all year.

I am in AZ where we do not even do daylight savings, so I am all in favor of getting rid of it everywhere. But, I would prefer standard time as the default rather than daylight savings since that would put AZ where it belongs -- on Mountain time rather than Pacific.

What do you think? Do you want to get rid of daylight savings and changing the clocks twice a year?
Old 03-21-2022, 11:21 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm in canada but i'd want to get rid of DST and be on standard permanently.. if it's DST year round in the winter our sunrise wouldn't be until 9:30 am LOL
Old 03-21-2022, 11:28 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

All for it! I hate the time change!
Old 03-21-2022, 11:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so old and have been doing this so long that it doesn't bother me either way. And, changing the clocks has become so much easier with the digital ones updating automatically.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes! Hate it! Although I agree with Kristin- the crazy late sunrise is a bit much...
Old 03-21-2022, 12:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm so ok with the time never changing.

Old 03-21-2022, 12:19 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

As someone that hates the darkness at 4:30 at night, I hate standard time. I'm also not a morning person so having all the daylight at that end of the day doesn't work for me.

When I worked at a CPA firm 25 years ago, I went to work in the dark and came home in the dark during the winter. That led to me having depression (stress of the job didn't help either). I needed medication to survive.

After changing jobs where my hours changed and the amount of stress went down, I was able to get off the medications. I still only had about an hour of sunlight when I got off work so the winters were long. Even now that I am retired I still get depressed during the winter although it is mainly the month of December. It just gets too dark too early in the evening.

I've also been changing clocks for too many years to remember so no big deal.

Quote:
A bill unanimously passed the US Senate last week to get rid of daylight savings time in the US and be on daylight savings time all year.

I am in AZ where we do not even do daylight savings, so I am all in favor of getting rid of it everywhere. But, I would prefer standard time as the default rather than daylight savings since that would put AZ where it belongs -- on Mountain time rather than Pacific.

What do you think? Do you want to get rid of daylight savings and changing the clocks twice a year?
This bill is not getting rid of daylight savings, it is to make the whole country unified in all states will be using daylight savings time. So for you in Arizona, you will have to change your clocks that one time and you will still be in Mountain Time Zone.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I kind of like the time change.....yes I'm weird, I know.

I am on Eastern time though so I wouldn't be in the same boat as Kirstin.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
This bill is not getting rid of daylight savings, it is to make the whole country unified in all states will be using daylight savings time. So for you in Arizona, you will have to change your clocks that one time and you will still be in Mountain Time Zone.

So which one do we keep...the "spring forward" or the "fall back" (I believe the "fall back" is the DST time?

Does anyone know when this would be official?

On the original question, yes I'm all for it ...either way, even though I'd prefer to keep the "spring forward" time settings.

Old 03-21-2022, 01:56 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I want the time when we have the most sunlight and sunset isn't until like 7:00-7:30 - which one is that?

My May This or That Post

My Rules to live by:
Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,
Speak Kindly and Leave the rest to God.
Old 03-21-2022, 02:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ugh - I don't care. haha. I just really really hate the "spring forward" one... I'm still so tired and can't get used to the hour ahead. Winter is depressing enough with all the cloudy days... does it matter what time you will see the sun?

Last edited by MamaBee; 03-21-2022 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:14 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I would love it if we'd stay on it!

Old 03-21-2022, 03:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'd prefer not to have to change back and forth ...
Old 03-21-2022, 03:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
So which one do we keep...the "spring forward" or the "fall back" (I believe the "fall back" is the DST time?

On the original question, yes I'm all for it ...either way, even though I'd prefer to keep the "spring forward" time settings.
I think I saw a blurb that said it wouldn't be until sometime in 2023
Old 03-21-2022, 04:03 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post

Spring forward is DST. So right now those that observe the time change actually spend more time during the year in DST than the Standard Time. Time sprung forward on March 13. It doesn't fall back until November 6.

Many years ago, DST was from April to October so about 6 months.

Also, there are some states that have already passed legislation to move to permanent DST but they need Congressional approval to take effect. Several other states are considering it.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
Spring forward is DST. So right now those that observe the time change actually spend more time during the year in DST than the Standard Time. Time sprung forward on March 13. It doesn't fall back until November 6.

Many years ago, DST was from April to October so about 6 months.

Also, there are some states that have already passed legislation to move to permanent DST but they need Congressional approval to take effect. Several other states are considering it.
Ahh so we'd stay on the "spring" time. Ok......
I really just want to stop changing back and forth. lol

Old 03-21-2022, 10:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm all for not changing the clocks, but I think they made the wrong call in which to keep. I live in an area with no street lights. With the time change, my kids walk to the (far) bus stop in pitch blackness for a few weeks right before and right after we change the clocks. I hate that, but one of the things that makes it tolerable is that during those stretches we tend not to have ice and snow yet. Now ask me how I feel about my kids spending most of their school year walking to the bus in the darkness, hours before sunrise while roads are icy and the sidewalks are too snowy or icy to use so they have to walk in the street for stretches...

I've also read some articles by sleep experts saying that as bad as the time change is for us, the move to permanent DST would be even worse. Apparently it leads to a mismatch between our circadian rhythms--which are more closely linked to daylight and darkness--and our daily schedules. They predict more sleep problems and other illnesses if we adopt permanent DST instead of permanent Standard Time.

With all the gridlock our government has been experiencing for years, I'm baffled that THIS is what the Senate chose to pass unanimously with no substantial discussion first!
Old 03-21-2022, 10:30 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I've also read some articles by sleep experts saying that as bad as the time change is for us, the move to permanent DST would be even worse. Apparently it leads to a mismatch between our circadian rhythms--which are more closely linked to daylight and darkness--and our daily schedules. They predict more sleep problems and other illnesses if we adopt permanent DST instead of permanent Standard Time.
No matter which one they would choose to stick with, there will be people that have issues with their "circadian rhythms". I'm one of them that has trouble during standard time but am good in daylight savings time.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
With all the gridlock our government has been experiencing for years, I'm baffled that THIS is what the Senate chose to pass unanimously with no substantial discussion first!
This! I don't care either way, but I wish they'd pick the more important matters to work on. It's like how they passed a bill banning the sale of Russian vodka. I read that it represents like 2% of vodka sales in the US, plus, those who are really affected are the store owners who already have it in stock and can't sell it now.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm ok with keeping it the same all year round, don't really care which they pick, just stick with all the same for everyone all the time.
Old 03-22-2022, 03:36 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It would mean over a month of 11:00-11:15 a.m. sunrises in Anchorage (December 9 to Jan 12), so....no thank you!

And yes, it seems like there are bigger fish to fry...
Old 03-22-2022, 06:57 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I wish it was daylight earlier in the morning if I’m being honest.

We didn’t have it when I lived in Japan or the 6 months I was stationed in Arizona. I never noticed a difference, but that was 20ish years ago. ��
Old 03-22-2022, 06:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
It would mean over a month of 11:00-11:15 a.m. sunrises in Anchorage (December 9 to Jan 12), so....no thank you!

And yes, it seems like there are bigger fish to fry...
That’s a hard thing to adjust to. I worked 12 hour rotating shifts, so sometimes if no a month without seeing the sun in the winter.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:18 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I don't even know what to think about this. I do know that the spring forward time change always messes me up for about a week, but I sure do like the extra time in the evening with the sun shining! In the middle of the summer though it's 10:00 pm and still light outside though, so that's kinda weird. We have movie nights in our town and they can't start the movies until after 10:00 in July.

I totally agree that it's bizarre that this is the issue the politicians could agree on. Sheesh!
Old 03-22-2022, 01:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I'm in canada but i'd want to get rid of DST and be on standard permanently.. if it's DST year round in the winter our sunrise wouldn't be until 9:30 am LOL
I'm with you on this. In December our sunrise wouldn't be until 9am Yuck!
Old 03-22-2022, 01:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure yet. At first I was excited...I hate it getting so dark so early in the winter. And I hate the time change cause it messes up my littles schedules for a week twice a year. But, the more I think about it, I am not sure how I will feel about the later sunrise yet....

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 03-22-2022, 04:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I don't care which one goes, but I'd like to get rid of one.
Old 03-23-2022, 02:54 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I've lived in QLD (no DLS) and NSW (has DLS) I much prefer life without it, especially when you have children who are sensitive to their routines being changed.
Old 03-23-2022, 03:26 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Living in South Africa we don't change the clocks at all. In summer we have sunlight from about 5am to 8pm and in Winter from 7am til 6pm. So we are golden either way.
Interesting to read everyone's feelings though. I can't imagine it only getting light after 9am.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:13 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
Living in South Africa we don't change the clocks at all. In summer we have sunlight from about 5am to 8pm and in Winter from 7am til 6pm. So we are golden either way.
Interesting to read everyone's feelings though. I can't imagine it only getting light after 9am.
Living in West Africa (Cameroon) is similar to S.A. Our daylight hours don't even shift as much as yours do. When it comes to calling family in the states it is much easier to be on the "spring forward" time as our schedules match up a bit better having only 5 hours difference. I do think it would be nice not to have to worry about changing clocks in the US, though.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:50 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I would be good with sticking to one time, for sure. I prefer the "spring forward" if I had to choose, but would probably be okay with either one.

As to the politicians, they chose this one because it was low hanging fruit and easy to pick. I think they are afraid to work on the bigger issues or maybe they just know that there is no way they are ever going to agree, so they figure why waste their time. I honestly think the two parties are so divided that getting anything done is a mammoth effort that a lot of them don't want to expend.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I personally like having the longer days in the summer, and having as much light as possible in the winter. We haven't noticed the time change for years.... the only clocks we have are our phones and computers and they all automatically change for us so clocks are never messed up, alarms are never messed up...... in fact, it was a few days after this years change before any of us even knew it happened, and that was only because someone outside our circle had mentioned it. lol
Old 03-25-2022, 09:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
I personally like having the longer days in the summer, and having as much light as possible in the winter.
When I first heard about the bill passing I thought that I liked the idea of not changing but that I'd rather keep ST instead of DST. But the more I've thought about it since, the more I agree with you. I think there was a good reason that we started changing the clocks, and if we eliminate the change people are going to realize that the week or 2 of adjustment weren't as inconvenient as the morning or evening darkness we end up with instead.