Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-11-2022, 03:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default What are you afraid of?

I've read that the biggest fear is speaking in front of a roomful of strangers. I know that is something I'd have trouble with!

I'm also afraid of deep water, heights, spiders and snakes. I guess I'm a mess.

Old 04-11-2022, 04:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am terrified of heights...like weak knees have to sit down...even malls that have an upstairs with railings...can't walk them. I avoid malls. Escalators that are open on both sides...but if I am leaning over a rail looking at a waterfall or lake I am good...LOL

I don't like the dark but manage esp now that we have been camping in dark sky parks

Snakes scare me but not run away scared.
I get nervous driving at night and in super heavy traffic but I have to do both of those so I manage.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Outliving my children.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
I am terrified of heights...like weak knees have to sit down...even malls that have an upstairs with railings...can't walk them. I avoid malls. Escalators that are open on both sides...but if I am leaning over a rail looking at a waterfall or lake I am good...LOL

I don't like the dark but manage esp now that we have been camping in dark sky parks

Snakes scare me but not run away scared.
I get nervous driving at night and in super heavy traffic but I have to do both of those so I manage.
Oh yes, add darkness to mine, too. I have moderate night blindness, so that adds to it.

I know what the "weak in the knees" feels like too. This is really funny, but the bottoms of my feet tingle. Hahaha

Old 04-11-2022, 06:08 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
Outliving my children.
I totally get that. I have lost a child, so I do get it.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylny View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm really afraid of heights - weak in the knees and all. I even have problems seeing it on tv! Or if someone is too close to the edge.

I'm also really afraid of water - ironic as I was a certified lifeguard when I was 16 - but my fear did develop when I was 15, so going for my lifeguarding was tough. I have a huge fear of being trapped under ice or driving off a bridge into water and being trapped in the car - that one really came to a head when Jake was little and couldn't get himself out of a car seat by himself.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am ridiculously irrationally afraid of rodents and anything rodent-esque. I give animals a wide berth in general but those in particular terrify me and I obsess about them regularly.

I am also afraid of drowning --- including in a plane crash even though I know I would die from oxygen deprivation in the fall before I ever hit the water. Bodies of water without a bottom that I can see are not my favorite.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I should never have watched Jaws as a kid--sharks terrify me! Not sharks in aquariums, but the idea of meeting one out in the ocean.

Other than sharks, I think I'm most afraid of losing someone I love or failing at something important. Most of the big changes I've made throughout adulthood are things I just had to close my eyes and leap for--if I think too long about it, I'll talk myself out of trying. (They've all been good decisions and right for me, but I have to commit quickly or I'll let my fear win out and won't go through with it.)
Old 04-11-2022, 11:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thanks, Lynn.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I'm really afraid of heights - weak in the knees and all. I even have problems seeing it on tv! Or if someone is too close to the edge.

I'm also really afraid of water - ironic as I was a certified lifeguard when I was 16 - but my fear did develop when I was 15, so going for my lifeguarding was tough. I have a huge fear of being trapped under ice or driving off a bridge into water and being trapped in the car - that one really came to a head when Jake was little and couldn't get himself out of a car seat by himself.
I can't watch heights on TV either - I can't even IMAGINE going out on that glass bridge over The Grand Canyon!

I'm afraid of deep water too - that's funny that you are and you're a certified lifeguard. I'm terrified of drowning.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I am ridiculously irrationally afraid of rodents and anything rodent-esque. I give animals a wide berth in general but those in particular terrify me and I obsess about them regularly.

I am also afraid of drowning --- including in a plane crash even though I know I would die from oxygen deprivation in the fall before I ever hit the water. Bodies of water without a bottom that I can see are not my favorite.
I just posted up above that I was also terrified of drowning - thus, I'm afraid of deep water. I think Titanic scarred me for life.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I should never have watched Jaws as a kid--sharks terrify me! Not sharks in aquariums, but the idea of meeting one out in the ocean.

Other than sharks, I think I'm most afraid of losing someone I love or failing at something important. Most of the big changes I've made throughout adulthood are things I just had to close my eyes and leap for--if I think too long about it, I'll talk myself out of trying. (They've all been good decisions and right for me, but I have to commit quickly or I'll let my fear win out and won't go through with it.)
Same here with Jaws! I could never watch the subsequent Jaws. I refuse to get in any big body of water - especially the ocean - above about my calves. I have to see the sand under my feet.

I know I'm afraid of failing and change, too!

Old 04-11-2022, 11:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am basically a big scaredy cat. I am afraid of bugs, heights, water, speed, confined spaces, too many people around me, reptiles, mice, etc.

I probably should not admit this, but one time, I was reaching into a box in the garage and a mouse jumped up at me and I literally peed my pants, that is how much it scared me. Talk about embarrassing. I also screamed, which made my son, who was a teenager at the time come running to find me with wet britches. Without missing a beat, he said, I knew you'd have to wear adult diapers at some point, but I never thought it would be so soon. Smart alec! LOL
Old 04-11-2022, 11:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
My condolences on such a tragic loss.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Terrified of sailing, deep water, heights and grasshoppers freak me out because I never know which way they're going to hop.

Old 04-12-2022, 12:06 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I am in fear of my body not being able to have fun with my 2 yo grandson. I have a right knee in need of a replacement and continual back pain with severe scoliosis (curvature of the spine), It affects Lumbar Spine 3-6 and the Sacroiliac joints. I go through shots every 3-6 months. I want to be able to play with him forever.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:06 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I am basically a big scaredy cat. I am afraid of bugs, heights, water, speed, confined spaces, too many people around me, reptiles, mice, etc.

I probably should not admit this, but one time, I was reaching into a box in the garage and a mouse jumped up at me and I literally peed my pants, that is how much it scared me. Talk about embarrassing. I also screamed, which made my son, who was a teenager at the time come running to find me with wet britches. Without missing a beat, he said, I knew you'd have to wear adult diapers at some point, but I never thought it would be so soon. Smart alec! LOL
That must have been embarrassing but I'd probably do the same thing! You can laugh about it now. LOL

Old 04-12-2022, 01:08 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
My condolences on such a tragic loss.
Oh, thank you so much. I don't mention it very often, but it just seems so appropriate in answer to Lynn's post.

Old 04-12-2022, 01:09 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lidia G View Post
Terrified of sailing, deep water, heights and grasshoppers freak me out because I never know which way they're going to hop.
Well, I'm not afraid of grasshoppers, but am afraid of everything else you mentioned. LOL

Old 04-12-2022, 01:10 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonbertol View Post
I am in fear of my body not being able to have fun with my 2 yo grandson. I have a right knee in need of a replacement and continual back pain with severe scoliosis (curvature of the spine), It affects Lumbar Spine 3-6 and the Sacroiliac joints. I go through shots every 3-6 months. I want to be able to play with him forever.
Oh Sharon, I'm so sorry. I'm fortunate that I could play with mine when they were little. My youngest is almost 11 now and only plays with his remote on his video games. Hahaha

Old 04-12-2022, 02:24 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

You know those street mime people that are posing like statues?......They give me the creeps. If there's any way I can reroute so I don't have to pass them I will. Make them come after me and I swear I will break the world record for fastest sprint.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirjam View Post
You know those street mime people that are posing like statues?......They give me the creeps. If there's any way I can reroute so I don't have to pass them I will. Make them come after me and I swear I will break the world record for fastest sprint.
Oh, Mirjam, they freak me out, too. You never know when they're going to move or IF they will. That's a good thing to be afraid of!

Old 04-13-2022, 01:42 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Snakes and spiders are right at the top of my list too.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:40 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Outliving my children.
I second that!!

I am also terrified of Spiders, but I am trying to overcome my fear.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Spiders and bugs are a big one for me...I found a cockroach in my house and was freaked out...I put a cup on top of him but he moved it across the floor and got out. I freaked. I trapped him again and put a book on the cup and it stayed there till hubby got home and killed it. Outside if I find wasps, fire ants I call our bug guy to come fix it....they make free house calls.

I found a HUGE wasp like bug in my kitchen I called hubby and stood in the kitchen watching it till he got home. I told him if it takes flight I am OUT!! LOL

No thank you! I let him get rid of them inside and outside I call for the big guns
Old 04-13-2022, 09:55 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Besides outliving my children I do have the fear of speaking in a room full of people. In my college graduation I had to present the final essay to the school's dean and some professors.. I cried for days before that happened...In the end everything went out fine and I got the highest scores but not without getting reaaaally nervous and anxious.

oh and some minor fears: rats, mice, roaches and bees... oooh and clowns... clowns give me the creeps for sure lol

Old 04-13-2022, 11:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am afraid of bats. It is a result of having bats in our house growing up (old farmhouse type house). Waking up in the middle of the night, feeling the breeze from wings over your face...it gets to you!
Old 04-13-2022, 12:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
I am afraid of bats. It is a result of having bats in our house growing up (old farmhouse type house). Waking up in the middle of the night, feeling the breeze from wings over your face...it gets to you!
OMG I can't even imagine. Mice are one of my issues. We had/have them in our house. My mom always said they were more afraid of me than I was of them. I wanted to believe that until I woke up one night and one was munching on some little ears of decorative popcorn I had on my bookshelf for fall - about 18 inches from my face! I scream and jump and freak out anytime I see one. Our cat is a great mouser but he doesn't always kill them right away. More than once I've had to face down a mouse he brought me and left between me and the only way out of a room. Eeeek!
Old 04-13-2022, 01:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

um. pretty much everything. lol
Old 04-13-2022, 01:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
LOL
Old 04-13-2022, 06:11 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
Snakes and spiders are right at the top of my list too.
Mine too! I'm constantly on the lookout for a snake when I go out to work in my yard!

Old 04-13-2022, 06:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce Paul View Post
I second that!!

I am also terrified of Spiders, but I am trying to overcome my fear.
I am so terrified of snakes that I joined a "snake group" to try to get over my deadly fear. I think it helped a tiny bit, but I still think I might have a heart attack if I came upon one in real life!

Old 04-13-2022, 06:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
Spiders and bugs are a big one for me...I found a cockroach in my house and was freaked out...I put a cup on top of him but he moved it across the floor and got out. I freaked. I trapped him again and put a book on the cup and it stayed there till hubby got home and killed it. Outside if I find wasps, fire ants I call our bug guy to come fix it....they make free house calls.

I found a HUGE wasp like bug in my kitchen I called hubby and stood in the kitchen watching it till he got home. I told him if it takes flight I am OUT!! LOL

No thank you! I let him get rid of them inside and outside I call for the big guns
My granddaughter isn't afraid of much of anything but bees and wasps! She absolutely freaks out!

Old 04-13-2022, 06:14 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Hahaha - I'm afraid of lots of things, too. Whenever my cat starts creeping around, like he's hunting - I go into a panic!

Old 04-13-2022, 06:16 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeriapiemonte View Post
Besides outliving my children I do have the fear of speaking in a room full of people. In my college graduation I had to present the final essay to the school's dean and some professors.. I cried for days before that happened...In the end everything went out fine and I got the highest scores but not without getting reaaaally nervous and anxious.

oh and some minor fears: rats, mice, roaches and bees... oooh and clowns... clowns give me the creeps for sure lol
I've read that speaking in front of people os the #1 fear. I'm terrified of that, too. I hate rodents too and I can't believe how many people are afraid of clowns!

Old 04-13-2022, 06:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
OHMYGOSH - we had a bat in our house once - it scared the puddin' out of me. It was laying under a towel on the floor and when I went to pick it up - there it was - it looked like a tiny vampire!!

One time, in the fall, I opened the flu in the fireplace to start a fire and a bunch of birds flew into my family room. I was screaming and chasing them around with a broom! My kids still talk about me and the birds.

Old 04-13-2022, 06:53 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Mice, definitely mice. Oh, and rats. I don't mind chipmunks or squirrels.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
OHMYGOSH - we had a bat in our house once - it scared the puddin' out of me. It was laying under a towel on the floor and when I went to pick it up - there it was - it looked like a tiny vampire!!

One time, in the fall, I opened the flu in the fireplace to start a fire and a bunch of birds flew into my family room. I was screaming and chasing them around with a broom! My kids still talk about me and the birds.
Tiny Vampire is right! (although they look huge to me, no matter how little they may be!)

And too funny about that bird story! I can only imagine! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but hopefully you can laugh about it now!
Old 04-14-2022, 04:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurtt View Post
Mice, definitely mice. Oh, and rats. I don't mind chipmunks or squirrels.
I don't like mice or rats either! When we moved to the country I got a cat. LOL He's a little hunter.

Old 04-14-2022, 04:34 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Tiny Vampire is right! (although they look huge to me, no matter how little they may be!)

And too funny about that bird story! I can only imagine! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time, but hopefully you can laugh about it now!
Oh, we laugh about it now! I guess I looked like a wild woman running around with my broom. All I kept yelling was "open those sliding glass doors!!" I swatted those darned birds until I got them outside.

A broom is still my favorite "weapon"! I keep one on the front porch as well as inside. I can do some damage with a broom. Hahaha
"