Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-08-2010, 04:19 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Overwhelmed with kits!

And alphas, and element packs, and CT gear and O.M.G.
No idea where to start the clean out...

I'm just so blocked at the moment and I think it MAY be because I have more kits than I could ever scrap with! Did any of you scrap before you had kids? Did you collect kits FOR your kids, or for when you EVENTUALLY got a dog etc. Yeah, it's that bad.

I miss the days where SSD was the only place I shopped. Then again, with the new designers, that could very well happen again. This place always has the irresistible goodies!

I'm avoiding damn sales. With Em Merritt retiring I freaked out and bought 4-5 kits ("they were so cheap!") I might not use for YEAAAAARS...

Anyway, just wanted to flail about and be heard.. I'm an attention seeker like that
Old 09-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
No idea where to start the clean out...

I'm just so blocked at the moment and I think it MAY be because I have more kits than I could ever scrap with! Did any of you scrap before you had kids? Did you collect kits FOR your kids, or for when you EVENTUALLY got a dog etc. Yeah, it's that bad.

I miss the days where SSD was the only place I shopped. Then again, with the new designers, that could very well happen again. This place always has the irresistible goodies!

I'm avoiding damn sales. With Em Merritt retiring I freaked out and bought 4-5 kits ("they were so cheap!") I might not use for YEAAAAARS...

Anyway, just wanted to flail about and be heard.. I'm an attention seeker like that
Ebs, I'm so there with ya.

When I started scrapbooking, I didn't know about SSD... didn't know about a lot of things, like "don't buy a kit just because you like the preview"... Got loads of stuff that way that didn't make me happy...

Then I discovered SSD and finally found a place of my liking - but that meant that most of the stuff I already had had to go.

That said, I still like stuff from other shops, and especially with "it's just 1 dollar" sales I'm sitting on a bunch of kits I never use, since I love SSD ones best anyway. Collecting portfolio points and the fact that you can only upload SSD stuff here and it's my only gallery means that the "oh it's so cheap" shopping was not the best of ideas.

Then I started being involved here, discovered sales, challenges, coupons and things, and OMG I have SO many kits that if I didn't buy anything from now on I'd have enough material for the rest of my life. One kit can be used many times after all, so...

What's worse, I find that my taste in design changes too quickly and I still haven't learned NOT to make frenzied shopping each time I have a new phase.

Oh, well.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:28 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

lol Yep! I feel ya! I just did a "reorganize" of all my kits because I was feeling so much pressure about all this STUFF I had to use and no idea where to start. So I created a folder and named it "kit archive". Everything except what I've bought over, say, the last 4-8 weeks was moved into that folder. That way I'm using what is new, but still have that archive folder to draw from when I need it. By just kind of "tucking it away" I feel less guilty about it and it makes my newer stuff easier to find and makes me feel better since I know I'll be using it, kwim?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL - I have close to 100 unused SSD kits sitting on my HD just waiting to be used.... It was one of the reasons I recently quit all my CT positions. I was finding it too overwhelming to *have* to scrap with kits, and by the end of the month I didn't feel like scrapping with my purchased stuff (of course, it didn't stop me from BUYING stuff, lol). I looked up my unused stuffs, realized how much stuff I had (and LOVED), but couldn't be motivated to use it. I decided to quit my teams, and begin scrapping just for me again. My mojo that had practically disappeared for 6 months has been slowly sneaking back, and I'm thrilled!!

Huge fan of:

Old 09-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to DeepGirl

Yes, count me in! When I started scrapping, I was buying everything cheap from different stores, but SSD has been proved as my No. 1 place So I rarely shop elsewehere now... and if, they are usually templates... I can decorate them with SSD stuff!

Old 09-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, me to. If I see something I really like at a sale price, I am powerless - maybe I need DH to change my PayPal password to help me resist

I've just started going through all my files and getting rid of lots of the first stuff I ever bought 'cos my tastes have changed so much. My HD is breathing a sigh of relief too

...I'm trying very hard not to think of the £££.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
Did any of you scrap before you had kids? Did you collect kits FOR your kids, or for when you EVENTUALLY got a dog etc. Yeah, it's that bad.

I have pregnancy kits like you would not believe... (I'm not pregnant).

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 09-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryredhead View Post
lol Yep! I feel ya! I just did a "reorganize" of all my kits because I was feeling so much pressure about all this STUFF I had to use and no idea where to start. So I created a folder and named it "kit archive". Everything except what I've bought over, say, the last 4-8 weeks was moved into that folder. That way I'm using what is new, but still have that archive folder to draw from when I need it. By just kind of "tucking it away" I feel less guilty about it and it makes my newer stuff easier to find and makes me feel better since I know I'll be using it, kwim?
That is actually exactly what I did 2 weeks ago!
Old 09-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Location: Hi Ya'll:) I'm a transplant from the "states" to Interior Alaska-

Hahaha, me too on the pregnancy kits (Not prego either haha). But, when I first started, I was part of a yahoo freebie group and since it was free, I had to down load it right? Then my computer crashed, so I have all this "old" stuff that I'm trying to sort through (it's all dumped unsorted into ONE ginormous folder!). Thousands! BUT, I won't delete it unless I absolutely hate it and know that I won't ever use it! haha, you never know what you're going to need! However, my style and "colors" change from one end of the spectrum to the other... so having a ton of variety is needed for me.

I LOVE sweet shoppe It's amazing, the kits are happy and useful and oh so worth it I can barely get everything downloaded, open and sorted before more new stuff is put up here AHHHH (think it's an addiction ahahaha)
Old 09-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I can totally relate. I am a sucker for school and Halloween kits. I just love them and have more now than I know what to do with!! There is no possible way that I will EVER have enough photos to use with the kits. So what do I do? I keep buying more! I was this way when I was a paper scrapper too. It's a sickness I tell you.

SAHM to three girls (17,12,8) and two (very) spoiled mutts!

5 year breast cancer survivor

Words With Friends user ID: kpnv70

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/Scrapper007/
Old 09-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLilGrahamCracker View Post
I have pregnancy kits like you would not believe... (I'm not pregnant).
LOL! I have often been tempted by boy theme kits, but I don't have any boys..only 3 girls!

SAHM to three girls (17,12,8) and two (very) spoiled mutts!

5 year breast cancer survivor

Words With Friends user ID: kpnv70

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/Scrapper007/
Old 09-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I have totally picked up pregnancy and baby kits and things. Not pregnant (yet ).

I've darn near given up on shopping elsewhere. It helps that I have so much to choose from here. I am never left wanting for anything from this shoppe. If I need it, it exists, or if it doesn't it's probably on a designers list to get done soon. I LOVE THAT!

I have learned that while I LOVE the things other designers create, I pretty much never have time to play with their stuff. So I've stopped wasting money elsewhere, which makes my husband VERY happy, lol.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
I have learned that while I LOVE the things other designers create, I pretty much never have time to play with their stuff. So I've stopped wasting money elsewhere, which makes my husband VERY happy, lol.
this is me exactly. i'll buy alphas, templates, or an occasional element pack elsewhere, but in reality, i know i probably won't ever use a kit if it doesn't come from here or one of my ct's.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

well i spent the first six months not actually digi scrapping but accumulating stuff. waiting for dh to put a new hard drive in my computer - then i will organize what i have - delete a bunch and move on!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
this is me exactly. i'll buy alphas, templates, or an occasional element pack elsewhere, but in reality, i know i probably won't ever use a kit if it doesn't come from here or one of my ct's.
me too....

I have a folder with "unused kits" and i'm trying to use as many as i can...after i've used them i move them to another folder...i helps me keep track of what i haven't used but it sometimes i really don't want to know just how much i haven't used...
Old 09-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to DeepGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Celeste* View Post
well i spent the first six months not actually digi scrapping but accumulating stuff. waiting for dh to put a new hard drive in my computer - then i will organize what i have - delete a bunch and move on!
Similar for me! Just today my DH has purchased 2 HDDs (for a RAID) for me and my digi-stuff!

Old 09-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just keep buying larger hard drives...might be better just to find some time to get rid of the stuff I know I'll never use - like from 2005.

And yes, I totally bought baby kits before I had babies...it's addictive! I'm no help with suggestions...I'm a wreck myself.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
this is me too
Old 09-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

L.O.L. At least I'm not alone right?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Celeste* View Post
well i spent the first six months not actually digi scrapping but accumulating stuff.
That's me!! I've not scrapping much this year, but kept buying and accumulating stuff... I *need* to use those kits now. Better start working on my portfolio!!!

All About ME
Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm also guilty of buying marriage kits, and baby kits, school kits, while single and childless and obviously don't go to school, but then, I do scrap a lot for friends, and they are married and have kids. But I'm sure I've bought some useless ones just because they seemed pretty.

Even with themed kits I like, sometimes there's only as many LOs to one theme you can make, and one kit might be enough, so why do I have five? Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
I have learned that while I LOVE the things other designers create, I pretty much never have time to play with their stuff.
This is so very true!

Old 09-20-2010, 04:39 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I've only been digi scrapping about four months and I already have about 700 kits! Only a small handful are freebies or cheapies (for lack of a better way to phrase it). I paid for all of them... mostly at the new release prices or with challenge coupons.

When I download them, I rename the previews with the name of the kit, the store I bought it at, and the designer's name. Then I have two different folders that I save the preview pages to:

One that is "Themes" like holidays, birthdays, beach, floral, kids play, etc.

Each preview gets saved into the themed folder... sometimes a kit may be copied into more than one "theme", depending on what it is. Like it might be a good "little boy kit, and also a "teen" kit, and maybe a "summer kit".

Then I put a copy of every preview all in another folder that just houses everything.

Sometimes I just browse, looking for something that strikes my fancy, and sometimes I just need a certain theme. But when I need to look for something from a certain store or designer, I can just go to that folder and do a search for everything that is "Sweet Shoppe" or "Kristin CB", or whatever.

All my kits are in one folder on my external drive, but organizing my previews makes the quantity of kits seems less overwhelming.

I also make copies of all my alphabet sets and put them in a separate folder for when I need to pick one. Same thing with some of my frames, favorite leaves, etc. This saves me from having to look at a bunch of stuff just to find one thing I might need.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I started digi scrapping in January if there was a sale I spent at least $10 - even if I didn't need anything. Now I limit myself to buying things that I can use within one week of buying it. If one of my favortive designers stops selling and has a sale (which thankfully hasn't happened yet) then I would most likely buy the kits I love from them (even if I couldn't use them right away) but my husband has limited me to only $40-$50 for those sales and only if we have the money.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
yeah this is the point I've gotten too. There are 2-3 other designers who I'll go and get a few new kits from each month, but for the most part if I'm buying something elsewhere its brushes, frames, or alphas.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
This is what I do too. But I do have a few favorites that are not here.

But the fact is, if I want something, I can get it here, almost always! I tend to really only scrap with my CT stuff, because I do work better when I have a deadline, plus I have the BEST CTs! So usually the stuff I buy, I never actually use. So I don't buy much any more.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I start first by cleaning out the "recolors" of the kits I want to keep. I delete ribbons, buttons, solid papers, etc. that are the same but just recolored. I also delete pre-shadowed elements and anything in the kit I don't like/isn't my style/or something I know I won't ever use. (I've never regretted it or thought later "I wish I had that!")
Getting rid of that stuff first always helps me, and it makes me get in the purging mood so it's easier to delete other stuff afterward
Good luck!

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapShabby View Post
I've only been digi scrapping about four months and I already have about 700 kits! Only a small handful are freebies or cheapies (for lack of a better way to phrase it). I paid for all of them... mostly at the new release prices or with challenge coupons.

When I download them, I rename the previews with the name of the kit, the store I bought it at, and the designer's name. Then I have two different folders that I save the preview pages to:

One that is "Themes" like holidays, birthdays, beach, floral, kids play, etc.

Each preview gets saved into the themed folder... sometimes a kit may be copied into more than one "theme", depending on what it is. Like it might be a good "little boy kit, and also a "teen" kit, and maybe a "summer kit".

Then I put a copy of every preview all in another folder that just houses everything.

Sometimes I just browse, looking for something that strikes my fancy, and sometimes I just need a certain theme. But when I need to look for something from a certain store or designer, I can just go to that folder and do a search for everything that is "Sweet Shoppe" or "Kristin CB", or whatever.

All my kits are in one folder on my external drive, but organizing my previews makes the quantity of kits seems less overwhelming.

I also make copies of all my alphabet sets and put them in a separate folder for when I need to pick one. Same thing with some of my frames, favorite leaves, etc. This saves me from having to look at a bunch of stuff just to find one thing I might need.

I envy your organization skills!!! I just have a folder for each store, one for each designer at that store, and then one "retired" and one "current."

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 09-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am still in the "cleaning" process and actually moving only items I think I will use to a larger EHD, but I'm tagging it into ACDSee! No duplicate copies of anything, no extra folders but I can find all the best of what I liked most in each kit! I have tagged "new" items so I remember to go back and scrap with it! I'm still not sure what is the most fun....shopping, organizing or scrapping!! LOL!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelsscraps View Post
I start first by cleaning out the "recolors" of the kits I want to keep. I delete ribbons, buttons, solid papers, etc. that are the same but just recolored. I also delete pre-shadowed elements and anything in the kit I don't like/isn't my style/or something I know I won't ever use. (I've never regretted it or thought later "I wish I had that!")
Getting rid of that stuff first always helps me, and it makes me get in the purging mood so it's easier to delete other stuff afterward
Good luck!
I envy your ability to delete like that! I'd rather keep the recolors because I'd rather not have to do the recoloring myself later (yes, I'm lazy that way). And my scrapping style evolves so that I might want to try using a type of element 6 months from now that I wouldn't even consider using today. It is incredibly freeing to purge, though... I wish I could do it!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I didnt start scrapping until my kids were older. I purge my supply every few months and rarely buy anything I wont use eventually. I love the kits here at SSD because the stuff is such good quality I rarely get rid of anything from here.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow