Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm
Default Spin Off: Girl's Growth Trends

So Darcy's thread about her bigger boys and boys growing in general made me curious about what your experience has been with your tween/teen girls.

Katie just turned 12 and is in 7th grade and she's always saying she feels soo short compared to the other girls. She's at the younger range of the girls because she's a "just made the kindy birthday cut-off" date kiddo, but I'm curious how/when your girls at this age grew.

Is she going to grow more this year and next... through high school? I'm really curious because I honestly dont remember growing as I was always the tallest girl in my class.

Would love to hear your experiences on how your girls changed body and growth wise during middle school.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well, Kendra is 14, and in the past 2 years, she has grown a TON. She's now taller than I am, wears the same size shoe as me, and has filled out more - not in a "fat" way at all, but she's looking more like a young woman and less like a little girl.

Funny because K always tells me how short she is, but like I said, she's taller than I am. So, I tell her to stuff it. LOL
Old 09-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I remember hitting a growth spurt in the middle of middle school and freshman/sophomore year of high school. I just shot up in high school. My girls are little right now but they are always the tallest in class.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am really curious about it with lily. I was always the shortest and she is one of the tallest (she is one of the oldest in her class but still way taller than I was at her age) She will be 10 in january and just this summer skipped ahead 2 show sizes and is now has feet the same size as mine (well I wear .5 size bigger because i have wider feet but anyways)

I'm really curious to see if she is going to have more growth spurts or if she is just doing the majority of her growing a bit early and will be short like me or if she is going to be really tall lol
Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, Cheyanne doesn't have much chance of being too tall since both sides of her family are pretty short. (Her dad was only 5' 7" and I'm only 5' 4"). She has also been a peanut her whole life and has always been pretty much the smallest in her class weight and height wise.

That being said, she just turned 12 at the end of August and is in 7th grade. She is still on the shorter side for the girls in her class with several being well over 5 feet - some 5' 8" and up (but these girls have very tall parents!)

She did have her biggest growth spurt ever starting about this past May until August. She grew almost 5 inches taller in this time and grew 4 shoe sizes She seems to have slowed down a bit now. She is now 4' 11" and in a woman's size 7 shoe. She outgrew a lot of clothes and shoes this summer! And I swear all 5 inches grew in her legs alone

Her doctor says that once she starts her period she won't grow too much more - just a few inches at most, so he figures she's due for another spurt this year, as she hasn't started yet but probably will in the next 6 months or so. (Not sure how he figures this, but he's the doc - LOL).
Old 09-29-2012, 11:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

DD is only 3, but she's been tall for her age ever since she was born. My mom tells me that I was this way, too, and then slowed down when I hit kindergarten.

I had my one and only growth spurt in 6th grade where I grew to my present 5'3"/5'4". That was the only year that I was the tallest in my class!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

I am also wondering when my almost 12 year old daughter will grow she's still pretty short but I have hope that at some point she will have a growth spurt. I mean my 2 teen boys did!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Niki, has always been just about average for her age and in the last six months has shot up to being one of the taller girls in her class. She's grown out as well and has a real hour glass shape at age 13. the growing has slowed down a bit in the last few months and more girls in her class are catching up.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I find myself wondering how my 10 year old will grow. She didn't grow any over the summer this year but LAST summer she grew like a weed. Typically she has always been really slow to grow though, often wearing the same size jeans for 2 years in a row.

Me... I was on the tall side until the summer between 5th and 6th grade. All my friends grew that summer and I didn't. I suddenly went from tallest to almost shortest in my class. Strange feeling!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest is 10 (will be 11 in Dec) and has grown quite a bit in the last few months. She is almost as tall as me (I'm 5'3") and she just about wears the same size shoes (6.5-7 depending on the shoe) so she has been raiding my closet for shoes since school started! I think she'll eventually be taller than me if she keeps growing, she's already going to need new jeans soon cause the few pairs that still fit from last year will be getting short on her soon.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 11 year old is quite tall and towers over all the kids in her 6th grade class and probably some of the kids in 8th! She seems to continue to grow and often I worry that it is too much too soon - she looks like a grown woman but still has the little girl inside of her. Actually she is almost as tall as her sister who is 16 and we often joke that the younger sister will be handing down clothes and shoes to her older sister. Something my oldest doesn't always find so funny.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My niece had a big growth spurt between 12½ and 13½...she went from a couple inches shorter than me (5'7") to quite a bit taller than me...she's 6'1". She has not grown at all since that spurt, she'll be 18 in January. I had a similar spurt around that age, I went from 4'3" to 5'4" over the summer between 8th and 9th grades. I added another 3" during that school year and then stopped.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest has always been one of the taller kids, she's younger than most too. She grew a lot through middle school, at least 6 or 7 inches. I know for girls they tie a lot of growth to puberty and the arrival of their periods. She started high school this years, she grew a bit over the summer but not crazy.

My youngest is nine and also one of the younger kids but she's way bigger than most of the kids even in the grade ahead. She's got most kids beat by three or four inches.

There's almost a foot difference between DH and I and I'm really small boned and scrawny and he's big boned and solid. My oldest while a lot taller is built more like me, the youngest more like her dad. Their dr. said it was a lot harder to predict their final height because of the big gap in size, shape between us.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My oldest is 7 and she has always been very tall for her age. She is already just 11 inches away from being as tall as I am (almost 5'3"). My husband is 6'2" so she is most likely getting her height from him. When I was in 6th grade I was one of the tallest in my class. Sadly that was as tall as I'd get, lol!!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My daughter had a GIGANTIC growth spurt the Summer going into her sophmore year of high school! I mean giant, it was so noticable that on the first day of school the staff and kids were like "whoaaaa!!! You grew!!". She ended up being 1 of the 2 tallest girls in the high school (the other girl is same height!) and the only reason these two girls were not the tallest even over all the boys is because her best guy friend is 6'8! So he of course was the tallest boy... but other than him, the two girls were the tallest of everyone.

All through middle school she was kind of on the shorter side, but I always just assumed it was because she was also two years younger than the others - but then when I looked at the kids in the grade she was suppose to be in, those girls were even taller than her. So we just assumed she was going to be shorter like her grandma. But here we are today, she's 19 and a bit over 5'11" !!