Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default O.K. Help a girl out.

I am filing my taxes. With our return my DH wants new tires for his truck. And we just had a $450 repair bill for his truck I had to charge so I have to pay that off. So, to be fair, he is letting me get whatever I want with the same amount of cash. I have been through 3 laptops in the past 5 years. This one is pretty good. But I can't do my homework sitting in my recliner. So I need to motivate myself to sit at the desk. I have been thinking that I want a desktop. So here is where I need your help. If they come with the monitor, it is usually 19" Is that big enough? I use my computer for music, homework and scrapping. So what size is your monitor?
Also, I really want to upgrade from PSE4. I could get PSE7 or I could go for gold and get CS4
So to recap...
Monitor size???
PSE7 or CS4??
Worth the money??

Last edited by heatherdumas; 02-03-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

i have no idea...
Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

well that was helful. NOT!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a Mac girl and would never be able to suggest a PC over a Macintosh. But I can say this...

- I love my laptop and the freedom that it gives me, but I also love my desktop for my huge monitor - it's all personal preference. If the only reason you do NOT want a laptop is b/c you don't want to sit in your recliner while doing homework, then why don't you just put the laptop on a desk and use it when you are doing homework?

- I am a PS junkie and work on it all day while at work, and a couple hours each evening for scrapping - so I say go for PS. But if you like PSE and can use it to do everything you want do, then you could save yourself a lotta money by sticking with it instead of buying PS.

- Monitor size is another personal preference. I LOVE my ginormous monitor that I have at work - it's a dream. Again - personal preference, but I say go with 1. what you have room for, and 2. what you can afford. I would much rather have a nice sized monitor and some extra RAM rather than not enough RAM and a huge monitor. KWIM?

- As far as money... I learned my lesson a long time ago that you get what you pay for. You said you've been through 3 laptops in 5 years - have they broken? too slow? you just wanted a new one? If you are shopping for a $400 laptop right now, I think I would stick with the one you've got a little while longer and keep saving some $$ to upgrade to something a lot "better" - not something with the same specs that's just newer - ya know?

I purchased my Mac Titanium G4 Notebook nearly SEVEN years ago and it's still going like a tank. It's never had so much as a hiccup - never. At the time it really sucked b/c I paid a pretty penny for it, but several of my friends have been through 4 or 5 computers since I bought mine.

Sorry I can't help with PC specifics (brand, model, etc). I'm a mac girl and will never go back.

Good luck with shopping!!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I had a HP laptop first. It was in the $700 range. It literally fell apart after 2 years. My Windows died. It was just dead. Then I got a $400 Toshiba in a panic. I needed a computer NOW!!! That lasted just over a year. Just after the waranty was finished. I have a Gateway now. I love my Gateway. But i have 5 kids and 3 of them need a computer for homework. So I just figure I will get a desktop and then I won't mind them using my laptop. Right now, if they mess up my computer I am seriously SOL.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My desktop is a Gateway and I love it, I've had it for not quite a year and haven't had any problems with it. Mine has 3gb of RAM and a 500gb hard drive and I paid under $600 for it through Circuit City online (which unfortunately is no more). I use PSE6 and Ligthroom on it with no lag at all like there was on our old Dell laptop. My monitor is a 17" Dell flat screen that we already had before I got my new desktop and I think it's plenty big for me. With the desk I have now I don't think a larger one would fit anyway since there is a shelf above where the monitor sits.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I'm a Compaq girl through and through!!! We got our first desktop in 1998 (I think we paid $2000 bucks for that sucker ) and it lasted up till late 2004. It did have a hard drive crash in early 2003 and we replaced it. The only reason we "upgraded" was because I started scrapping and the processor (nor the lack of ram) could handle my PSE3!!!! But having said that my father still is using that first computer to this day and has not had a lick of trouble with it!!!!

In late 2004 we upgraded to another Compaq and she is still running strong today!!! I have upgraded it some (it only had an 80GB hard drive) with another internal 500GB hard drive and 2GB of RAM (only came with 1). I have also gotten rid of the HUGE monstrous monitor and replaced it with a flat screen......I want to say it's 17", but I'm to lazy to find a measuring tape to say for sure. I don't see my self replacing it anytime soon!!!

I treat it with tender loving care and keep it dust free and "tuned up" on the inside and I'll use her till the day she dies!!!!

Good luck and have fun shopping!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

just buy a nice snazzy desk. And if you are worried about squinting to see the laptop screen, you can hook up a monitor to it (trust me, I have it set up like that at work, I don't have a desktop there, but the 14" on my laptop is too small, so I have a 20" widescreen).
Old 02-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneskids View Post
just buy a nice snazzy desk. And if you are worried about squinting to see the laptop screen, you can hook up a monitor to it (trust me, I have it set up like that at work, I don't have a desktop there, but the 14" on my laptop is too small, so I have a 20" widescreen).
Yup!! This is my plan. It's really the best of both worlds AND it saves you some money for more scrap goodies. LOL! I plan to get a 22" or 24" monitor because I'm freaking blind and need everything huge.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I bought an HP computer package at Office Depot or Office Max (cant remember which one now) two years ago with our tax return. It came with a 19 inch wide screen LCD monitor and it is perfect for me. I love it. I cant help much on the CS4 or PSE7 as I used PSPXI and I prefer it because I know the program so well now. I think it does pretty much the same stuff as those two programs and costs alot less then CS4 so if I was going to get one I would probably just upgrade my PSP.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a 100% Mac girl. No PCs in my house anymore! LOL So, if you want Mac info, I'll be happy to help ya out, but I have no info or advice on PCs except that I'd recommend you not get one. LOL