Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Default John and Kate plus 8... what happened??

Okay so i saw the preview saying that they were having problems, then recently heard trash in magazines about them.. but i was waiting to see the show before i believed anything.. then i missed it! lol seriously..
so did anyone watch the new episode of John and Kate plus 8 and knows what really is going on?
i like the show and i like the family so i hope all is well...

Old 03-24-2009, 02:14 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

oh. i watch this off and on. i'm curious now.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:12 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

oh no. i don't even watch the show and now I'm curious to know what's going on. Somebody scoop!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

In my people magazine from last week (not this past weekend but the one before) Jon did an interview, like a 1 or 2 pager lol, and he said that he was accused of cheating on Kate when he went to take care of his mom for a few days (I think she had hip surgery orrrr something?? lol) Anyways he went out to a bar one night to relieve some built up stress of everything... kids... tv... everything... And I guess he took a pic with some college students and it got on the internet and automatically was assumed that he cheated... He said that they (just like ANYONE with 8 kids, annnnnd a tv show) are having hard times but his wife and his children... his FAMILY... are number one and would never do anything like that... I believe him... I didnt see the episode.... But I guess if it comes out later that he really DID cheat I guess I will say I'm not suprised... Just because I'm sure that TV puts alot of pressure on you...

I'm NOT saying I agree with cheating AT all... I would DIE if I found out my hubby was cheating and I would NEVER EVER EVER even THINK about cheating on him..

Mommy to two baby girls

Hayden Louise - 3.14.08
and
Leah Noelle -10.27.10
Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Oh and Laura, it says your from Olympia... As in Washington?? If so I'm up in Tacoma!! Small world! lol

Mommy to two baby girls

Hayden Louise - 3.14.08
and
Leah Noelle -10.27.10
Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

okay so i stayed up until 1am to watch it when they replayed it again lol
So basically what is going on is that John is having a hard time accepting that he cant go out and be just John, that he is John and Kate plus 8. He said he likes that their show is popular and everything but its hard to accept the fact that he cant be just him and stuff like that.
Kate is happy were they are in life and wants to continue on with another season, which would be their 5th. She is also working as a spokes person i believe and is gone on trips here and there leaving John to watch the kids.. Also John is now working at home and its like he's almost feels like he is loosing his identity..
so they said they have "wrinkles" to iron out and that they are really not sure whether or not they will be going on to another season...

i dont think divorce is in their future at all.. if you google it you will get all this crap saying that they are splitting up and John is out at bars with college women.. blah blah blah.. pretty much the normal slander that goes with being in the media.

so its nothing like what the magazines like stars and such are printing. but still a bit rough for them.. understandable for always having camera's in their life and 8 kids.. so yeah thats the scoop on whats going on... now its off to bed im so beat! lol

Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

he went to help his mom, she broke her foot and i guess her Husband was away or something.. they didn't go into detail about him though.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah what Laura said. The preview kinda hinted that they were having problems but what I got from watching it was he is having a problem with being on the show and having people recognize him and he can't just be himself. I hope they continue cuz I love that show!

~~Siggie by Laura (emmasmommy)~~
Old 03-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have never been able to get into this show-I realize that it must be hard to have this many kids-but I always thought that Kate was mean to John-talked down to him and pushed her opinions and feelings onto him and basically treated him like another child-mind you-this is my opinion after only watching a few shows, but it is hard to lose your identity in your children-and I only have three-I can only imagine how he must feel...poor guy.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Wow I record this show every week and I hadn't heard a thing about any of this. I can totally understand how John must feel, it has got to be tough.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

It didn't seem to me that they were having marital problems at all in last night's episode. I can totally see where he's coming from with wanting to be "just Jon." They have had their life taped almost continuously for 4 years. I think we'd all be just about done with it by then. I mean, I understand they've gotten a lot materialistically but he especially seems to be genuinely concerned for what is best for his family. You can tell that Kate really enjoys the fame and all that she can do for charities and stuff, but, I would imagine it would get old after awhile. The whole problems thing on the previews...IMO...they've always gotta boost the ratings!

Has anyone else noticed that Cara and Maddy haven't been on there much lately?

Old 03-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've noticed a lot of changes in Kate...she's changed her appearance and seems to be MORE into her appearance than she used to be, and I also think she's trying to be "nicer" on camera. I think she used to get a lot of flak for her snarky attitude because now she tries to be nicer to John...though the old, domineering control freak Kate does shine through occasionally. I think being on tv has gotten to both of them, just in different ways. She's hogging it up and he's tired of it. I can't say as I blame him.

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for this post! I was so upset when mine didn't tape last night...the one before taped but the final epidsode didn't.

I personally love the show. I don't always agree with the way Kate treats John but do I like the show and tape it every week.

As for the twins...they are in school now so they are not in it as much, unless they film after school or on the weekends!!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

She is really mean to him. And if they don't like the taping, they can choose to not renew their contract, kwim? They can't use that as an excuse, since it is their choice.

I always found her very controlling, and I feel badly for him. But I can see how they could both be a smidge overwhelmed! LOL
Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

ok. hold up. they asked for all this when they signed up to do a show, imo. they got a ton of money from doing this. the show is probably the only reason they aren't begging people to put money in their paypal. i get soooooo tired of people whining about the publicity. shut the crap up, john. suck it up. so there. i'm insensitive about this cause they got exactly what they asked for.

p.s. john knew kate was controlling when he married her.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura mcgee View Post
he went to help his mom, she broke her foot and i guess her Husband was away or something.. they didn't go into detail about him though.
His dad died several years ago. Is his mom remarried?

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 03-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyfizzy View Post
ok. hold up. they asked for all this when they signed up to do a show, imo. they got a ton of money from doing this. the show is probably the only reason they aren't begging people to put money in their paypal. i get soooooo tired of people whining about the publicity. shut the crap up, john. suck it up. so there. i'm insensitive about this cause they got exactly what they asked for.

Word.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Exactly, Liz! They used to be so grateful for what they had and what they were given because of the show. Now they just seem to resent it. Uh... Get over it or get out! You DO have a choice here, people! Gesh!

Kate may be a crazy control freak, but Jon is a whiner. I love the show, watch it every week. But I've been noticing this season that Jon whines about EVERYTHING. No wonder Kate has to do everything for him and boss him around! He's worse than one of the kids! That being said, she is also a total witch to him a lot of the time for no reason.

I think they're perfect for each other.

creating for

Old 03-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

hahahaha!! word to what jenny said too. i mean come on. people pray for this kind of break. they got it and now they complain about it. get a grip. balance this out...the show is a blessing.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
hahahaha!! word to what jenny said too. i mean come on. people pray for this kind of break. they got it and now they complain about it. get a grip. balance this out...the show is a blessing.
I mean, I'm sure there are downsides to the fame and popularity of the show. But they act like they have no choice. You DO have a choice! Either embrace what comes with doing the show and stop complaining... or quit the show and go back to your "regular" lives working your tails off like the rest of us normal folk!

creating for

Old 03-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think the real issue is they've lost sight of what made people like the show in the first place. Now every episode is basically "look what we got to do/get for free!" and it's not something people relate to. It's hard to feel sorry for someone when they buy a million dollar home and then throw a tantrum about not using a coupon on a shower head. Or when they complain about spending 4 hours cleaning a fridge only to have a brand new one the next episode.

I do feel somewhat sorry for Jon because I think he's having a much harder time with all the negative press than Kate is. She seems to be perfectly content flying here, there and everywhere promoting herself. I'm sure it was eyeopening to him to realize that people are watching what he does and judging it. But they should have realized that when you start flaunting your situation you're going to have people turn on you. You're no longer that struggling family of 8, you're that rich family that happens to have 8 kids which makes your whining and complaining that much less tolerable.

Last edited by Nettio; 03-24-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

ahahahahahaha!! so true lynnette!!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nonnie917

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinajoygarner View Post
Oh and Laura, it says your from Olympia... As in Washington?? If so I'm up in Tacoma!! Small world! lol
Talk about coinky dink, I live in Mount Vernon where I avoid leaving the house during tulip season.

I never watch the show. I caught it one time and couldn't stand the fact that Kate was being so mean to Jon. No more for me thanks.

Last edited by Nonnie917; 03-24-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I think the real issue is they've lost sight of what made people like the show in the first place. Now every episode is basically "look what we got to do/get for free!" and it's not something people relate to. It's hard to feel sorry for someone when they buy a million dollar home and then throw a tantrum about not using a coupon on a shower head. Or when they complain about spending 4 hours cleaning a fridge only to have a brand new one the next episode.

I do feel somewhat sorry for Jon because I think he's having a much harder time with all the negative press than Kate is. She seems to be perfectly content flying here, there and everywhere promoting herself. I'm sure it was eyeopening to him to realize that people are watching what he does and judging it. But they should have realized that when you start flaunting your situation you're going to have people turn on you. You're no longer that struggling family of 8, you're that rich family that happens to have 8 kids which makes your whining and complaining that much less tolerable.
exactly
Old 03-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaCola3 View Post
I have never been able to get into this show-I realize that it must be hard to have this many kids-but I always thought that Kate was mean to John-talked down to him and pushed her opinions and feelings onto him and basically treated him like another child-mind you-this is my opinion after only watching a few shows, but it is hard to lose your identity in your children-and I only have three-I can only imagine how he must feel...poor guy.
I couldn't have said this better...and she contradicts herself by saying she wants to make sure the kids get experiences...well then, don't make such a big deal when they get a little dirty for goodness sakes! She drives me crazy!

Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree 100% with Lizzy and Lynnette. I love the show but they wouldn't have half of what they have if it wasn't for the show.

~~Siggie by Laura (emmasmommy)~~
Old 03-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Ditto!

Quote:

*My Etsy*
Old 03-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Its so funny that you said this, Lynette. My son (7) and I watch this show every monday together (yeah, he's weird like that lol). And just a few weeks ago Cameron said, after the show was over, "I like the old episodes where they just play at home and go to the dentist and stuff". And I agree. It was more fun to get a glimpse into the life of this "extra-ordinary" family struggling to keep it all together. Now they're just spoiled brats running around in a big fancy house and getting things for free left-andight. Its not as appealing as it used to be.

Oh, and I have to say that Kate's appearance is bugging me these days too. She used to look like every other mom. Her hair wasn't always perfect, she often appeared on camera in her robe and slippers, and she dressed in jeans and tennis shoes. Now she looks perfectly coiffed at all times. Her hair and makeup are flawless, her skin in obviously been tanned, and her wardrobe looks like something out of a magazine. It bugs me.

creating for

Old 03-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Exactly!
TY Lynnette for summing up feelings about this show I didn't even know I had until you put words to them.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Yep, agree with Lizzy and Lynette!!!

My 5 yo LOVES this show. LOVES IT. I feel slightly uncomfortable watching it. It is what it is, though.

The product placement can be so cheesy sometimes. Did y'all notice Jon randomnly looking at insurance info online in one of last nights' episodes before leaving to go somewhere? Or I think it was last night. And Kate picking out outfits (for FREE I'm sure) from Gymboree and whining that they had to do an out-of-studio interview with Oprah. *sigh* that's just so hard, I can't even imagine. *roll eyes*

Yeah, they are getting what they signed up for. They basically turned their family into a giant advertising vehicle. I'm sure they do really enjoy some of the perks (HUGE house, lots of vacations, financial security for their family) but of course there will be some sucky downsides. But I do not feel sorry for Jon & Kate in the least!!!

I think the kids will probably need therapy later... hope they have a therapy fund. But I think, in the end, they will be OK because they have each other, their siblings, to rely on. And I think they will be old hat after awhile, the family, if Jon & Kate have any sense at all to stop doing this as their kids get older.

But I am tired of the Maddy bashing. That makes me sad... my oldest has a very similar personality, very impetuous and high-strung... and she's not even on a TV show!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogwoodMama View Post
But I am tired of the Maddy bashing. That makes me sad... my oldest has a very similar personality, very impetuous and high-strung... and she's not even on a TV show!
See, I have a problem with Maddy. Well, thats not true. I don't have a problem with Maddy. She's a kid. I have a problem with how Jon and Kate parent her. Everytime that child does something ugly like hit one of her siblings, throw a screaming fit in public (she's almost NINE for the love of pete) or talk back to her parents, they just shrug their shoulders, looking knowingly into the camera, sigh and say "thats just Maddy".

Thats bull!! Yes, children have different personalities. Some are "easy" and some are NOT. I'm not arguing with that. But allowing your child to have atrocious behavior simply because its "just who they are" is NOT doing that child any favors.

Now, perhaps they discipline Maddy off-camera. I'm sure we don't see the whole picture of how they parent her. But her behavior ON camera is downright ugly and I can tell you right now that my child would NOT be allowed to get away with that behavior. On OR off camera. Period.

creating for

Old 03-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

I do agree with Lizzy and Lynette. I watch it now because it's really a train wreck that I can't look away from. I liked the show much, much better when Kate had no fashion sense, Jon worked outside of the home, like a "normal" person, and they didn't do something sponsored by someone every week. My daughter loves this show and she too won't watch the new ones, she wants the older ones where they go to the pumpkin patch or go get their haircut, the simple things.

While they did know what they were getting into when they signed up for this, I wonder if they knew that it would be to this extent. Honestly. Who would have thought that a show like this would go on for 4 seasons?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcameronsmommy View Post
See, I have a problem with Maddy. Well, thats not true. I don't have a problem with Maddy. She's a kid. I have a problem with how Jon and Kate parent her. Everytime that child does something ugly like hit one of her siblings, throw a screaming fit in public (she's almost NINE for the love of pete) or talk back to her parents, they just shrug their shoulders, looking knowingly into the camera, sigh and say "thats just Maddy".

Thats bull!! Yes, children have different personalities. Some are "easy" and some are NOT. I'm not arguing with that. But allowing your child to have atrocious behavior simply because its "just who they are" is NOT doing that child any favors.

Now, perhaps they discipline Maddy off-camera. I'm sure we don't see the whole picture of how they parent her. But her behavior ON camera is downright ugly and I can tell you right now that my child would NOT be allowed to get away with that behavior. On OR off camera. Period.
preach it, sistah sledge. i love you.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I sooooo agree with everything you said, Jenny! Sure, Maddy can be difficult sometimes, but they sure don't help matters by just excusing her behavior. They definitely could discipline her better, in my opinion. And of course, we're only seeing a sampling of their lives, but this is how I feel based on what we do see.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

wow this post got huge lol

Kate has changed a lot. I missed seeing her hair messed up and not so much into her looks all the time. There was one episode, a long time ago, back when the kids were still in diapers that John took her shopping and it was such a treat for her because she got to finally get new clothes..
now she is always in new clothes and the store new her by name! seriously?! Her hair is always perfect, her makeup never smudged or anything else.
don't get me wrong, id want to look nice too.. but yeah...
also when they first starting filming Kate was working weekends because they needed the money.. and i liked watching them, not struggle, but be normal because i don't have tons of money or anything and it was nice to see someone on TV that had to deal with that too..

I do think they knew to an extent of what they were getting into, but i don't know if they knew, or if you could even predict how you would, feel about camera's always there and being exposed and everything.. so i do understand John's feelings about it all...

i cant remember who asked, but yes his Mom re-married. His dad died a while ago, maddy and cara were only 1.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I willing to bet when they were approached with the idea of a TV show they didn't think about becoming famous or getting a big house or going to Disney. With 8 infants or toddlers undderfoot you are probably only thinking "oh thank you god for paying for the diapers and maybe we can afford to pay someone to come in and help." You don't think about the downside much when you are that sleep deprived and that harried. Someone throws you what looks like a lifeline you grab it and consider the cost later. Of course, they have had plenty of time since then to see what the cost is and walk away and I really gave up on the show thhis year because they are so out of touch now with living 'real lives' it's not interesting to me any more.

I'm also willing to bet John wanted out last season and Kate bullied him into staying. I think she's reveling in being "john & kate plus 8" and he isn't, but she won't let him out of it.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura mcgee View Post
wow this post got huge lol

Kate has changed a lot. I missed seeing her hair messed up and not so much into her looks all the time. There was one episode, a long time ago, back when the kids were still in diapers that John took her shopping and it was such a treat for her because she got to finally get new clothes..
now she is always in new clothes and the store new her by name! seriously?! Her hair is always perfect, her makeup never smudged or anything else.
don't get me wrong, id want to look nice too.. but yeah...
also when they first starting filming Kate was working weekends because they needed the money.. and i liked watching them, not struggle, but be normal because i don't have tons of money or anything and it was nice to see someone on TV that had to deal with that too..

I do think they knew to an extent of what they were getting into, but i don't know if they knew, or if you could even predict how you would, feel about camera's always there and being exposed and everything.. so i do understand John's feelings about it all...

i cant remember who asked, but yes his Mom re-married. His dad died a while ago, maddy and cara were only 1.
I agree with this, I used to LOVE the show, but they don't look like "normal" people any more, they just look rich with 8 kids. They don't struggle or worry about things like normal people, and they aren't as interesting to me any more. I haven't watched much this season, and hadn't figured out why, but I think this is probably it.

It was more appealing to me when they were just normal people, living lives like the rest of us do.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post

It was more appealing to me when they were just normal people, living lives like the rest of us do.
That is exactly how I feel.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:00 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

i kinda hope they don't do a 5th season and they take time to figure out what life is really all about and that family is the most important.. and get back to the important real things in life.
i do wish them the best in life.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
I willing to bet when they were approached with the idea of a TV show they didn't think about becoming famous or getting a big house or going to Disney.
See, now I disagree. Why else would they put themselves out there unless they knew they'd get a payoff for it. I mean several higher sets of multiples have been featured on TV before Jon & kate plus 8 and they all declared how gracious people were/are after seeing them on TV with free things, donations, etc. So I think they were happy to get the TV offer as it was obvious from the first several episodes that aired that they were having a hard time making ends meet, etc. And pretty early on it was obvious they would get lots of offers for free stuff. Kate got the tummy tuck and later Jon got the hairplugs. Not to mention the toys, clothes and trips they have received for free.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I see what you are saying. But I really don't put the blame with MADDY. She is a CHILD. See what I'm getting at? I don't think she has any business being on TV. She is not an adult who is fully-formed and responsible for her own actions, and should not be judged harshly for how she is now. I really feel so bad for her that she has been type-cast as "the brat" and even when not on the show, others might tend to view her that way. Of course kids will try to get away with what their parents let them. But I do think that her behavior is an indicator that she really needs her parents to shut down production, so to speak.

But I personally think that Maddy has a lot of potential to be a really bright, driven, engaged child. She just needs to not be on TV. I don't really think that kids being disciplined should be on TV at all. As matter of fact, when I need to speak to my own 5 yo when we are around other people I actually need to do it in a really quiet way, otherwise her embarrassment is so great that she literally can't process what I'm telling her.