Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 04-27-2020, 08:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Favorite Cookware? Have you had it more

than 10 years?

I'm looking for new cookware. I bought some Calphalon about 3 years ago. Well, the non stick coating has worn off, everything sticks, this is my 4th since 2006.

I really liked this set, and I know cooking spray was probably the main culprit to ruining my cookware, but I'm a little nervous to buy the same exact set again, I really want something that will last me at least a decade.

Also, anyone switch from non stick to stainless steel? How did you like it?
Old 04-27-2020, 08:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I bought a set of "Cooks" from JC Penney, in 2006. I've had to replace the non-stick frying type pans, but all the others are amazing, and I hope I don't ever have to get rid of them. I did just get a new set of non-stick frying pans from Costco, that are a lot heavier bottomed than any I had bought before, they seem to be holding up quite well for the use they get.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I stopped using non stick when I heard how bad it is for you once the stick wears off.

My husband bought me an All Clad pan. Stainless steel. I was worried at first but it really is great! Since then I have added more to my collection and love all of them. It's a bit heavy but at least I know they will last forever.

The only thing I still cook in non stick are eggs. I have a tiny pan for just my eggs in the morning.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have not had ANY sets to last longer than a couple of years. I got some Homegeek (through Amazon) skillets at Christmas time and I am enjoying them. So far so good and I've used them heavily recently.

My Calphalon did the same thing. Everyone told me they were the best. Within a few months the non-stick coating was flaking off. Maybe I'm just hard on cookware?
Old 04-27-2020, 08:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I stopped using non stick when I heard how bad it is for you once the stick wears off.

My husband bought me an All Clad pan. Stainless steel. I was worried at first but it really is great! Since then I have added more to my collection and love all of them. It's a bit heavy but at least I know they will last forever.

The only thing I still cook in non stick are eggs. I have a tiny pan for just my eggs in the morning.
I went to stainless for a while but everything stuck horrifically. I got tired of it and donated all of those pans. They still looked great, I just couldn't use them without spending an hour scrubbing off food residue after using them.

Have I mentioned I HATE cooking. My pans may well be a big part of that.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think the Calphalon vary a lot by which line the products come from. I have one of their pots that I've had since probably our newlywed days, so 20 years ago. I think it may have been from one of their lines that was meant for serious home cooks (ie, not professional quality but close). I got a good deal on it, but otherwise it would have cost more than I'd ever spend on a pot! That one is still going strong, but when I've bought some of their less expensive pots and pans they've only lasted a few years.

I have a few stainless steel pots that I use often and like. Most of them were my mother's first, so they're also a few decades old and still work well. They're Farberware aluminum clad stainless steel. (I have no idea if those are still made!) I find them easy to clean, but I guess it depends on what you cook in them. I also have a stainless steel WearEver pot that I got off Amazon 3 to 5 years ago, and it's still in great shape.

I haven't been able to make the switch to stainless steel pans. I've cooked eggs in my sister's and no thank you on that clean up! I've bought a few of the new "healthier" non-stick pans, but I always have to replace them after a few years.