Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default DSD QOTD: Your digiscrapping story

As DSD weekend draws to a close, I'm feeling all the feels about this hobby we love. So what's your digiscrapping story--when did you start? What got you into it?

I've been a digiscrapper since my oldest child (turning 14 this week ) was 5 months old. I wanted a way to record what was happening along with the photos, and I stumbled upon paper scrapbooking websites. I did one layout that was mostly paper, with only my title and journaling done on the computer. By my 2nd layout I was a hybrid scrapper. I did most of the layout on the computer, glued it to cardstock, and added a few purchased physical elements. By my 3rd layout I'd graduated to all digital, and I never looked back! In 2013 I tried doing a few paper Project Life layouts, and it was a disaster--I was so worried that something would happen to the albums and I'd lose all those memories forever. I ended up going back and re-doing all of those layouts digitally (the one and only time I've 'wasted' scrapping time on re-doing pages that were already scrapped). Give me digi layouts backed up in multiple places, please!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:24 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I started in February 2003. I had gotten married the previous year (to my now ex-husband) and wanted a way to capture the memories we were sharing with his daughters. Since they lived several states away, we didn't get much time with them so I wanted it to be something 'special.' I made a handful of paper scrapbook layouts but was frustrated by how crappy and simplistic they looked. I couldn't get my hands to do what my brain was envisioning, KWIM?

I stumbled upon 2Peas and found Ali Edwards' digital AAM pages. Lightbulb moment! I could do this scrapping on the computer?! SIGN ME UP! Coincidentally Scrapbook-Bytes had opened the month before & so I found that place after searching around the Internet for 'computer scrapbooking tutorials.'

That was my digital home for a long, long, long time. This was before people were creating digital supplies at all! I served as a Honorary Design Team Member and then a full-fledged Design Team Member there after winning a 24 hour contest they ran. I also helped with online chats & events, writing newsletter articles, vetting new Honorary Design Team Members, running the Featured Product program, and planned a digital retreat, several IRL get-togethers, and spent a long weekend at one fellow digital scrapper's house in Maryland + two weeks at another digital scrapper's house in Washington.

Over the past 14 years, I've worked for dozens of designers on dozens of CTs, seen the industry move from sharing supplies to buying CDs of supplies to opening up digital shops, watched dozens of sites & designers retire (and, in some cases, unetire), met so many digital scrappers IRL, seen the advent of art journaling and pocket pages, and was here when the doors opened at SSD.

I'm proud to say that it'll be my two year Babe anniversary in the next couple of days & I can't think of a better place to be for the next 14 years of my digital scrapping journey.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Started in april 2010. I saw a topic on a disneysite, started by fiona also a member on this forum, she posted lo's from disney.we went to dlp christnas 2009.en i liked the pages so much that i wanted to learn it for my christmasphoto's.
She wrote some tuttorials en i went on from there.
Later she started a duch scrapforum.the most of them are also members here from the netherlands and belgium
We share tips and tricks and post our lo's there.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

What Renata said, lol!
I made a paper scrapbook in 2005. That was fun, but I hated the fact that my dinner table was scattered with scrapbook stuff. So I figured that I could probably scrapbook with my computer too. I already worked with photoshop, because I liked photography too.
Googled digital scrapbooking and stumbled upon some scrapbooking websites, but it wasn't much yet. Downloaded loads of freebies then...
I made my first purchase at Scrap Matters and went from there on!

Later, I opened a topic on a Dutch Belgian Disney forum about digiscrapping and I had so many questions that I opened a Dutch Scrapbooking Board so I could answer questions and help people get started with digiscrapping. That was about 8 years ago since I opened that board. Mostly Dutch and Belgian Disney scrappers. We show each other our layouts and our purchases. And we have lots of fun with event like DSD, Black Friday and iNSD. We even do Secret Santa and send each other christmas cards every year.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I first discovered digi in 2013. I had been a paper scrapper but I had 2 little kid and never ever got around to it. I think I have about 20 paper pages total?

Anyways, We had recently taken a trip to Disney World and I had heard all this hype about Project Life and scrapping pocket style on Pinterest. I wanted to learn more about this to do a Disney album that way. I was googling for free printables (Hey.. diapers and pull ups cost big bucks! Lol..) and came across something called "Project Mouse". I didn't realize they were digital products cuz I didn't know such a thing existed. I ended up buying some (my first digi product ever!) and printed them off. So I was doing hybrid not even realizing it.

I happened to have PSE 10? maybe back then b/c I was taking a photography class from Jessica Sprague and wanted to putz around with the photos I had been taking. For whatever reason I decided to try to open one of the little chevron arrows in the Project Mouse kit and put it on my photograph. You guys. I was BLOWN AWAY when I picked up my photograph from Walgreens and there it was. All cute and stuff (of course no shadows b/c I didn't know yet). LOL! I had no idea what I'd just did but it was awesome.

I was so excited that I shared it with my IRL friend, Jerilie. Since we had been taking the photography class from Jessica Sprague together we searched her other classes and found the Beginner Digital Scrapbooking one. We took that class together and after the class we started searching stores/scrap kits etc. It just so happened to be iNSD. Holy cow what a weekend to start this amazing hobby!

So there you have it, that's how I (we) started digi scrapping!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I also helped with online chats & events, writing newsletter articles, vetting new Honorary Design Team Members, running the Featured Product program, and planned a digital retreat, several IRL get-togethers, and spent a long weekend at one fellow digital scrapper's house in Maryland + two weeks at another digital scrapper's house in Washington.
I was at one of those get-togethers! I met up with a group from SBB at Potomac Mills (the outlet mall). (Maybe it was the weekend people were in MD? I know it was more than just the mall for most people, but I'm local and could only make it for that part.) I remember meeting you and Amy--I forget who else was there. It kind of felt like meeting digital scrapbooking royalty!

Last edited by rach3975; 10-11-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I remember!

Old 10-13-2017, 10:07 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I started scrapping digi style when I was pregnant with my son who just turned 11. I paper scrapped for about 10 years before that, but it was the days of fancy scissors and lots of stickers.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I love reading these stories!!

Prior to having Lily I worked in a print shop in pre-press so I did a lot of boring business card work and a teensy bit of graphic design. I live in Canada so when I had Lily I had a year maternity leave. When Lily was 3 months old (2003) I found digital scrapbooking through a really small mommy forum (not one of the bigger babycenter places etc just a small one) Anyways that's where I found scrapbook-bytes. I made my first layout and I was hooked! I remember at the time I just had a really simple computer, I think it had like 42mb or ram?? something crazy like that! It was crazy how fast I fell into the digital scrapbooking world and I've been hooked ever since! I started designing when the stores opened up and moved around quite a lot before finding my forever home here <3
Old 10-13-2017, 02:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I started paper scrapping back in 2001. In 2011, I started dabbling in digital scrapbooking, and once I realized how many more pages I could fit in an album, I was hooked! I have a lot of super thick, heavy binders stuffed to the brim with paper pages, and then I have a few shelves of super-sleek, nimble photo books of digi-pages. I wish I could convert them all to digital! Sometimes I do go back and rescrap old events and things, just to satisfy my current aesthetic.