Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Did any of your kids ever go through a phase where.......

they had to get up and go to the bathroom at night? Ashley (she's 6) used to be able to go the whole night without having to pee and in the last week 1/2 she's been having to get up in the middle of the night and go. She used to take a sippy to bed in case she got thirsty, and was even able to drink the whole thing without needed to get up, now we've even limited that, and she's still having to get up and go.....which sucks because it's disturbing her sleep.

I did do a quick online search and diabetes came up when scared the crap out of me. I took her to the drs last week and they did a urine dip which came back fine, and they sent her urine in for testing and I'm assuming that everything was okay cause the dr. didn't call back. I'm hoping that since there was no sugar in her urine that we are safe on the diabetes aspect of thing because I don't want to put her through a blood test (Ashley and needles are a complete NIGHTMARE).

I'm wondering if it's become more of a habit now, or maybe she's not sleeping as soundly as she used to for some reason and when she wakes up she figures she has to pee?

Any thoughts?

TIA!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hope she's alright. I have a somewhat similiar issue with my son (3 yo)- he started waking up in the middle of the night, not to go pee, but for weird things like, needing to fix his blanket and blow his nose, or if he can't find his teddy. I think he's afraid of the dark but he won't let us put a night light in his room.

I hope you figure out what's waking her up at night and get it solved.

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini

Honestly, my DD (2.5 yo) and son (5.5 yo) have just started getting up in the middle of the night. My DD has a nightmare or something and just screams out...and my son gets up and comes into our bed around 3 or 4 am. (Both never did that before) I have talked to my friends and a lot of them are going through it too. I think it might have something to do with the time change and also it is spring and everyone is a little stir crazy. KWIM? The teachers were just telling me how the kids are going bonkers and acting out in class. It might just be a phase. I'd shoot a quick call to your doc just to be sure about the test.

Susan
Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

My daughter is almost 4 and we went through this same, exact thing about 3 weeks ago. She would wake up in the middle of the night and it was almost like she was bored so she'd come out of her room and ask to go to the bathroom. When she realized I knew she didn't have to go to the bathroom, she'd wake up and say "I had a bad dream." I wonder if maybe she's just sleeping less soundly and waking up and not knowing what to do. Emma would always go to the bathroom when she got up but now that we've beaten the whole "getting up at night" demon she goes to bed at 8:30 and doesn't go to the bathroom a lot of times until 8 or so in the morning. I'd just keep limiting her fluid intake at night and see how it goes. Maybe it's just a phase and she'll be ok again in a week or so.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Avery does this sometimes...but then I'd much rather him get up to go than wet the bed lol. She's probably fine..I bet it does have something to do with the time change..I know that's got mine all screwed up with their sleeping.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Mine sometimes does...when they tested her urine did they check for a UTI? I had them alot when I was pregnant and going more often then usual was one of the things they told me is a sign of an infection.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Gabe (5) does this a lot...he will wake up and just think of things to do though, lol! He will go pee a few times. He really does seem like he's just thinking of reasons to get up though...so I am really no help at all. Sorry!! I really hope everything is ok with your DD though Cindy!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You mean it's NOT normal for kids to get up in the middle of the night to pee? My 5yr old dd has done this almost every night since she graduated out of nappies. I know now it's a habit, but hey, at least she doesn't wet the bed. And she only gets up once each night. The thing is, she calls to me to help her, so I'M up too. Having her sleep through the night is a rarity. At least she stumbles back to bed and goes straight back to sleep afterwards.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sophia just turned 7 in January and she just started doing this in the past year. She usually just gets up and goes without waking anyone, a few times she has actually had a dream she was on the toilet peeing and tinkled a tiny bit in her underwear. I just figured it was normal since I myself am up at least once a night going to the bathroom.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 5 year old has done this pretty regularly ever since he's been potty trained. Not every night but definitely half of them.

I also would think that maybe her bladder hasn't caught up with the growth the rest of her body has done. And if there is not infection and no sugar issues then I'd say it is just the time change or maybe just her small bladder. Give the doc a call on Monday to check the status of her tests to put your mind at ease!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nonnie917

It could just be a simple bladder infection. Did the doctor check that out?