Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Your Children want YOU :)

A good scrap friend of mine shared this on FB and I wanted to share it here I'm not a mom, but I am no stranger to guilting myself to death because I'm not "THAT woman" who can "do it all."

http://powerofmoms.com/2012/04/your-children-want-you/
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I read that on facebook too. There have been a couple of really good links to various mom blogs lately that I have related to.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I thought it was a great read, too!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I LOVED it too!! <3 There is sooo much that can be taken away from that article... even stuff that wasn't really said kwim?

For me it made me think of people who get down on themselves with their scrapbooking - just remember this too - doesn't matter how many comments you get or if someone is doing it better or more often or or or.. just know that your kids are probably LOVING what you do with their photos and stories - just make sure you print it out so they can see it
Old 04-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
doesn't matter how many comments you get or if someone is doing it better or more often or or or.. just know that your kids are probably LOVING what you do with their photos and stories - just make sure you print it out so they can see it
this.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh my, I'm nearly in tears. This is just what I've needed to learn and I'm going to start using/stalking the Power of Mom's site. Bringing in our extra boy last year just threw me for a loop and I haven't fullecovered. I've spent hours in tears over the last 6 months or so, feeling like such a failure as a parent. I have my 2 bio kids telling me what an awesome mom I am, and I have a foster child telling me I'm mean and yell at him all the time and never spend time with him and generally hate him.

It's miserable right now. Confusing. I feel like I'm never 'doing enough' , handling things the right way, etc.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I so needed to read that today... It is so true, and I think all of us as Mums need to give ourselves a pat on the back for what we DO accomplish...

A funny little thing from the other day that this article reminded me of... I got it in my head to make a sock monkey each for the kids (so far only one is made LOL). So, I made this monkey for Josh (he's 4) - seriously the strangest looking creature that I've ever seen and I felt so discouraged because it didn't look like the ones on pinterest... And when I finished, I showed him to Josh and said "he's a bit funny looking isn't he?". And he said the sweetest thing: "it doesn't matter, Mum. I still love him". And when I asked him why he loved him, he told me it was because I made him. As imperfect as that sock monkey is with his lopsided ears and eyes that are too close together and appendages that look like they've been sewn on by a two year old LOL, Josh has not let him out of his sight for a week, and he has NEVER been attached to a toy. EVER.

So, I can totally relate to that article - it is completely true that they want YOU and the things you do are special because you do it for THEM and they know it.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is very sweet. I guess our kids give us much more credit than we do ourselves.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for sharing, Lex - even though it made me cry... It's a great reminder and I know I'm guilty of feeling that I'm not "super mom"... I get so wrapped up in trying to make things special and forget that just spending time together is special.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I loved it.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, gaah. Now Zoe is making me cry, too. LOL!

It was such a good read. And like Kristin said, there's so much to it... so much to take away from it. I've actually been waiting for someone to write a moving article like this about the negative side of Pinterest. It's such a great site... but it can be used as another one of those tools that make us feel that we are not enough. And I loved what Kristin said about memory keeping, too. YES-HUH! It's a beautiful thing to be recording your story and scrapping your memories. Don't think about the comments and the GSOs... because in the long run, none of that really matters! Think about what you're doing for your family. ::sniff, sniff::

Group hug!

Last edited by webseitler; 04-12-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: not enough coffee yet...
Old 04-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aww... *wiping tears* ... I don't even have words. That's a great read.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If I took a picture of myself right now, you would see me wiping away many tears, and more splashed onto my shirt.

I need to remember this. It's so true... thank you for sharing it!

Huge fan of:

Old 04-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you so much for posting this There's been more than a few days recently that I've needed this reminder!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Great post. I needed to read it this week, too. Lately I've felt overwhelmed by the day to day mom and house stuff. Between that article and some of the others I read on their site, hopefully I'll have things in better perspective tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

*sniff* Thanks for sharing, Lex. I totally swiped it and shared it on FB. I think I've got lots of friends who need to read it, too.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I so needed to read this!! It's so easy for us to beat ourselves up for not being "as good as" other moms. I did a scrapbook page about how all of this social networking can really be a bad thing for us women...it's funny (or not so much)...my mom has gotten on pinterest and she is FOREVER asking me about it and talking about all of the things she's done on there, blah blah blah...the guilt can really come from anyone, I suppose. I finally had to tell her that I don't spend all that much time on there - I've got too much else going on for that. She didn't say much, but at least she's stopped asking me so much!!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I saw it in FB too... I loved it!!!

Creating for Studio Basic Designs
Old 04-14-2012, 01:53 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mye

I read it a few days ago, Lex - and i totally loved it. i have had several of those moments but after reading that, it makes me just want to be a mom for my girls. someone whom they will run to when they grow old.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have been AVOIDING reading this on facebook, but you caught me in a moment of weakness. Now I have tears, and good feelings too. I think more than anything, what all of us moms want, is for our kids to have US, and here's a great reminder that that actually has nothing to do with grilled cheese sandwiches that look like ice cream cones, or any of those other things we all idealize in our heads.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I saw it on facebook and thought it was a really good read. I can say I have been guilty of thinking I am not good enough. Alot of my thoughts are based on what I didn't do with my kids when they were little though. But my daughter reminds me often how much I am loved and how I am pretty much one of the only people she knows she can count on at anytime day or night when she needs me. So that helps when I am feeling down. I know I made mistakes and did not do all the cool stuff I see other moms doing with their kids but I also know I was the best mom I knew how to be and I think that was enough for her and still is and it is enough for my youngest son too and Id like to think it was enough for my middle son as well. And whenever I make something for my daughter (like her wedding invites for instance) I wanted them to be "perfect" she did not see all the little things I noticed and I was finally done after about five revised versions. And the really funny thing is everyone at her wedding commented on the invites and how much they loved them and asked her where she had them done. When she told them I did them they almost all told me they were really pretty (or something similar). Made me feel good especially since I still did not think they were quite perfect LOL
Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That was so great - Thank you!!!!

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 04-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

That was a very uplifting read, well worth the tears.