Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you judge people at the gym?

I know the unspoken rule is you know.. don't stare at anyone else and don't judge anyone else.

I can't help looking at people It gets boring when i'm resting between sets.. or staring off into space on a cardio machine.

If you're a dude doing bicep curls in the squat rack behind me, yes.. I'm judging you.

if you're the smelly smelly smelly farting guy on the bike next to me.. yes, i'm judging you.

if you're the girl who's been sitting on the leg machine I need, for an hour and not moving, yes.. I'm judging you and plotting to stab you in the eye.

if you're the girl doing some weird.. hop run thing on the treadmill.. yes, i'm judging you.

and really.. the one i 'judge' the most.. Is this stupidly beautiful in shape girl that is always there at the same time as me. Why does my body not look like yours >< she was doing pull ups today and i was like geez i hate you. go away. you're making me feel bad about myself. you may no longer be at the gym at the same time as me.

it all makes me feel very self conscious.. because while I convince myself when I leave that no one cares that my hair is messy, or that i'm going to make silly faces.. there are probably other 'me's' out there who are noticing and noting and judging
Old 04-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I will say, that while not at the gym, but at the track, I tend to judge those in shape and able to do better than me in a fit of jealous rage. And self-loathing. Doesn't matter that I'm out there now trying to be better. I let myself get this way, they didn't. I hate them. (me, really, but I can transfer that to them and feel condescending about it).
Old 04-07-2014, 03:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hmm... I don't at the gym... well, except if there is someone closer to my age - I only do water classes with a lot of blue hairs... haha

But I do kind of judge people at the grocery stores... I have always been a person that will look at someone's cart and then try to figure out what their family is like... a cart pulled by a guy that is all beer and pizza - probably single... another cart that is filled with cereal, chips, soda, and kids tv dinners... family with kids... Now, that I'm more into nutrition, I'm like... "OMG, you feed that to your kids????"
Old 04-07-2014, 03:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't care if they judge me as long as they don't talk to me. The gym is not a happy place, and I have no time for idle chit-chat (that I hate when I'm NOT a red-faced sweaty gross hot mess... let alone when I am).
Old 04-07-2014, 03:39 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I don't care if they judge me as long as they don't talk to me. The gym is not a happy place, and I have no time for idle chit-chat (that I hate when I'm NOT a red-faced sweaty gross hot mess... let alone when I am).
ugh yes. no one may speak to me ever. I used to have enough trouble dealing with people doing the smile and wave while i was running. just whatever. don't force me to make eye contact.. and never try to make me speak to you.

granted, i don't usually want to speak to anyone no matter where i am if I don't know you you do not have permission to converse with me
Old 04-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
if you're the girl who's been sitting on the leg machine I need, for an hour and not moving, yes.. I'm judging you and plotting to stab you in the eye.
omg you sound like John! lol he constantly texts me from the gym that he can't do this or that because "some idiot" is just standing/sitting there texting talking instead. lol

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 04-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Okay, I must chime in on this hilarious rant. I get this ALL the time at the gym: "Oh, you're late today." Excuse me? Is there a time clock I was meant to punch AT THE GYM? And why, exactly, would anyone else care what time I get to the gym? Like it's not hard enough to be motivated to work out every day, now I've got people clocking my arrival? Aargh.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:58 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

goodness gracious. yeh i wouldn't be able to deal with that.. though that goes in the 'do not speak to me' pile LOL. I put my headphones in on full blast while I'm still in the car in the parking lot so no one even has a chance while i swipe in
Old 04-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I never much liked the gym unless I could go when all the retired old people went. I liked that crowd. They were sweet and just grateful to be walking in the door that day.

I've been going to a martial arts studio instead of the gym. I like that a TON better. We all wear BLACK baggy 2 piece suit things and etiquette is a must if you don't want to be thrown out!

Then I lift weights at home.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I miss the gym! But when I used to go there, the people I judged the most are the people that come in there like it's a flipping fashion show. Stop redoing your perfectly messy up do in the mirror, stop checking out your butt in the mirror, ahhhh! It made me crazy. One time this chick got on the treadmill in a little tennis skirt and like clogs and she was was talking on her phone while walking sloooooow. Yes I was totally judging her.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Maybe a little. But really my judging is mainly about technique - like someone's butt to super high while doing a plank or they are squatting incorrectly. I also notice the super fit people and wish I had their body! I love the gym - it makes me happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My first instinct was to say no but I guess I do. I hate slobs in the locker room, machine hogs and I too judge form. Aside from class settings I pretty much hate the gym, I'm much happier working out on my own where I can wear whatever I want and grunt and sweat without an audience.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I've never been to gym, but I started CrossFit about 9 months ago and I LOVE the crowd there. No one is judging anyone, always encourage each other, it's a like a community. I'm usually the slowest/weakest of the crowd, but I just have to keep in mind that I'm also the oldest one there and I just can't compete with them.

However, there are few that I do get annoyed by. They're perfectly capable of doing something, yet whine about it just to get attention. I just can't deal with it. I try to ignore those kind of comments and keep doing my own thing.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

On the machines and gym floor? No. I'd rather keep my head buried in a book (okay, an audio book) and ignore them all. But watch out in the locker room; I judge mercilessly when people spread their stuff out over an entire bench or are so busy chatting or texting that they don't realize they're blocking your locker.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I judge, too. Mostly about what people wear to the gym.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Yeah, I judge, too. Mostly about what people wear to the gym.

Oh you would be judging me! Lol I'm in a corner wearing sweatpants and sweatshirts! Lol as many layers as possible

Old 04-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I toyed with the idea of going to a gym, but I am SO self-conscious at the thought of people looking at my form (I have terrible coordination so for sure I would get stuff wrong) or silently judging me for what little I can do (since I am almost totally sedentary). I'd rather work out at home or train with the hubs, whose corrections to my form I don't mind.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad I work out at home, ha, ha
Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I just came from the gym. I don't generally notice other people unless I am in a class or they are using a machine I want. I'm there at 7am with the others working out before work, most are in their 30s, 40s & 50s and very very few of us are 'hard bodies' We all do our thing in our own mental zones for the most part, except for random questions about 'are you done with that machine/weights'.

Now in the summer, when I am there around 9 or so, at a time when the classes are happening & a younger crowd & the 'mommy groups' are there... I'm often wondering just what some women are thinking wearing full face makeup - foundation, eyes, cheeks, lips, the works - to work out. Who are you trying to impress? The hard bodied guys in the weight area? Yeah, they are so not looking at you. They are FAR too busy looking at themselves.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna Clingerman View Post
I miss the gym! But when I used to go there, the people I judged the most are the people that come in there like it's a flipping fashion show. Stop redoing your perfectly messy up do in the mirror, stop checking out your butt in the mirror, ahhhh! It made me crazy. One time this chick got on the treadmill in a little tennis skirt and like clogs and she was was talking on her phone while walking sloooooow. Yes I was totally judging her.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Totally me.... and I can add the people sitting at the machine and take 10 minutes between reps because they are playing on their phones.

On the other hand, a part of me does give people credit since they are there and moving. The ones who look like it is more effort, look like me (sweaty/yucky), and are working hard are better off in my book.

I do go after work mostly, or after a regular day so I'm often wearing make up... but it'll be sweaty and mostly rubbed off on my face from my towel. I also read on the treadmill during my cardio. Keeps me focused and I'm not counting down the time.

I go. I don't like it. I sweat. I look yucky. Leave me be. Judge if you want. lol!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:33 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranslow View Post
Oh you would be judging me! Lol I'm in a corner wearing sweatpants and sweatshirts! Lol as many layers as possible

I assure you.. I much prefer being surrounded by people in comfy clothes than the ones with body parts hanging out
Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went to YouFit and loved it. If I had the time and a sitter for my kids I'd still go. But I didn't judge anyone. I always went with my friend and we would just catch up and chat about life and stuff. We did check out the hot guys on the machines and it made the time go much much faster. But I never judged anyone who went, I figured we all were there to work on our health and some of us were farther along then others. I know that for me to be comfortable I had to block out the notion that someone was judging me so I made sure that I didn't judge someone else.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The only people I judged at the gym were the creepy old dudes who'd walk around in gross 90s muscle shirt tank tops and check out the girls half their age. Everyone else I figure is awesome just for being there.

Well and now I go to an all-pregnant lady class and we all look ridiculous exercising with our giant bumps so yeah. No judgement here.

Last edited by Nettio; 04-08-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
Who are you trying to impress? The hard bodied guys in the weight area? Yeah, they are so not looking at you. They are FAR too busy looking at themselves.
bwahahaha! that cracked me up!!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't even notice anybody else while i'm working out. I try very hard not to judge anyone ever because I've got two auties and get judged all the time when i'm out with them. Once you've been on the harshly judged side of things, you get a new perspective and stop judging people yourself. I use to judge people A LOT until I had my boys. It always pisses me off when I see people looking down on me when they ahve no idea what I've been through!

So my answer would be no, i try very hard to go in, do my thing and go back out. i don't interact, I don't look at people and i avoid any contact in any form until I'm out. or I stay home and workout with Chalene Johnson of ChaLEAN Extreme because she's the bomb and I swear she's Buffy in adult form. For REALS

Last edited by adi&co.; 04-08-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranslow View Post

haha...no, more the ones who are all dressed up and trying too look hot or wearing heavy makeup, etc. Or once a girl who showed up to a high intensity cardio class wearing a hoodie, fleece pants and clogs. Yeah, she didn't make it through the class well.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Our gym has strict shoe rules. I cannot imagine someone showing up in clogs! I got grief when I started wearing my Vibram Five Fingers because they look like water shoes, not workout wear.

My favorite clothing though is the old guys, like over 65, who are working out in dress pants & nice shirts. I'm never sure if they are just new at this & didn't realize there is a different wardrobe involved or if they have worn those types of clothes for so long that they find them comfy to work out in. I know I wouldn't like wearing a belt on the ab machine.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

the only ones i judge - well maybe less judge, but just really don't understand - are the ones in full makeup and perfect hair that you know they sprayed 2 seconds before they walked out of the locker room. do they not know where they are?? you're at a gym weirdos - you sweat here and breath hard, and sometimes make crazy faces...get over it and just work out and be done with it already!!