Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default anyone here have experience with heart palpitations?

I've been having these off and on for a few weeks now. Sometimes it goes on and on and I wonder if it will stop,sometimes it's just a few minutes. Well yesterday at work it started and just would NOT stop. THEN my chest started hurting. Seeing as I work at a doctors office I was bullied into going across the street to the ER where I stayed for 7 hours.

When I first got there, my BP was 200+/50. Weird, right? The doc said "that's not hypertension, that's a pissed off heart". They gave me nitroglycerin 3 times. Each time it got a little better but it took all 3 to make the chest pain stop. THEN my heart was still "flip-flopping and fluttering" so they gave me TWO doses of Morphine. So I was pretty stable and he ordered a 48 hour Holter monitor and sent me home on it. They didn't have a 48 hour monitor available at the ER last night so they told me to come back today to switch out the 24 hour one for another one. Get there today and they magically don't have one and now all of a sudden because the don't, the "24 hour test should be sufficient" and the doctor was just ordering 48 because he knew you and was covering his bases. Hello??? I just feel like it wasn't on long enough to really catch the symptoms Ive been having and if it was bad enough for Nitro x 3 and MORPHINE they why is that all they did? anyone have any experience with this? Am I freaking out over nothing?

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 02-09-2012, 06:46 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Scary! No experience with that here, but I hope they get everything figured out. Take care of yourself, Amy!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I've had them before but I also have a super fast heart rate and mine are usually just nerves/stress. Chest pains thankfully have never accompanied mine. My BP has never been that high either (although the bottom # is really low I think..normal on the bottom is 80)

could yours be stress related?

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 02-09-2012, 06:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yikes! I have heart palpitations - they only last a few seconds - when I asked my doctor. he told me it was pretty much acid reflux... I haven't had any chest pains... it's a freaky feeling, that is sure. Do you have hospital that does free or discounted heart tests? We can get a heart check for $50 in the next town over...

Good luck!!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've had this happen to me on and off for a few years now. It starts with the flip-flopping and my Cardiologists has done 24 halter monitor tests. I had 89 flip flops in one day, just sitting around doing nothing. The doc said that is normal. Mine is an extra beat even though it feels like it's missing a beat. I take Atenolol once a day to keep my heart rate normal and it does help with the flip flopping. I find sometimes it's caffine related, it definitely happens more the closer I get to my period and sometimes it's coupled with acid reflux or the need for a bowel movement. Weird huh!

I used to be a frequent flyer to the ER for what I thought was a heart attack and every time it's been nothing. I stopped going and started to learn to really listen to my body and take time to calm down. I just started to carry Nitroglycerin with me and can take up to 3 before I have to the ER.

I get the flip flop, or neck and arm pain coupled with back pain (which are all female symtoms of a heart attack) - then as I realize there is something that might not be right the adrenaline kicks in and I've learned to recognize that and control it.

I think you should see a Cardiologist ASAP and they will do an Echo and a stress test just to be sure there is no significant blockage. A Cardiologist will know how serious it really is and take the time to explain things to you vs. the ER.

You can PM me if you want to chat. I know how it feels!!!! Hugs!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My mother has heart palpitations for over 30 years. She takes a beta blocker to control the ryhthm of the heart. She has NEVER had chest pains. If you are having that kind of symptom, I would definately be persistent with your doctor. Women's heart problems are often overlooked and underdiagnosed.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Actually, yeah, just few minutes ago. Been having palpitations for about two weeks. It *feels* like a panic attack, but there's no reason for that. The one I just had was so bad I had to lie down, but it's over now.

As for you, if pain is involved, take it seriously!
Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to jocelinsmommy

I have tachycardia regularly because of my hyperthyroidism. So it's something I've regularly experienced even to the point of "taking my breath away." Saying some prayers they find a resolution to your problem I know how scary and seriously uncomfortable is can be! ((HUGS))

Old 02-10-2012, 01:52 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Yup. Had EKGs, Holter monitor and everything. Nothing wrong with my thyroid, etc. Am on a beta blocker because I had a fast heart rate at the dr in December. I'm pretty sure mine are mostly stress related, but not always. I have them all the time and I hate it. No chest pain though so definitely keep pushing.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

IDK how old you are, but heart palpitations can be a sign of perimenopause or menopause. I got put on a beta blocker to help mine, but my mom has to take nitro for hers. (Hers also came with menopause). I hope they sort it out for you!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would definitely press for more definitive answers. It could be any of the things others have described but it's not something to leave unanswered either. I have an extra heartbeat that causes palpitations once in a while but before they came to that conclusion I had an echocardiogram to look at my heart, a 72-hour Holter, an EKG, and a stress test. Premature heart disease is common in my family and they wanted to make sure my heart/cardiovascular system was in good condition.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That is scary! I get occasional palpitations or PVCs at night when I lay down occasionally. I don't drink any caffeine anymore because of it, and now it is a lot better. If/when it happens again, I'd just go right back there again. Eventually they will do the testing that is needed. I know if I was in your shoes I'd be scared silly and running to the ER every time it happened. I hope you get some answers soon! Hugs!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get heart palpitations maybe once a month, but it's only for a second, then it goes away. Like Kelley mentioned, I've heard that caffeine may make them worse -- but I had them before I used to drink coffee or soda, too. Your sound definitely more significant than anything I've ever experienced, so glad you are getting it checked out. Be persistent if you need to!
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

i'm going to ditto juli with getting a referal to an actual cardiologist.. the er is just going to do minimal testing-- but once you get in with someone who specializes in heart problems you'll get the full run through :] I have tachycardia & an arrhythmia and was seeing a cardiologist for years (after my hospital stint last year we found out that it was all linked to my other stuff ). Having palpitations alone is not a big deal according to my drs in the past-- but when it presents with other physical symptoms like you experienced-- they tend to pay a bit more attention. Hopefully they get to the bottom of it! Holter monitors suck, but all that testing will be worth it :]

eta: AND. most important lesson i've learned in the past year If you're not satisfied with the care you're receiving, and you still feel off.. PUSH for proper care. push and push and push.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have had them off and on for a couple years. The doctor diagnosed mine as PVC (premature ventricular contractions). They are extra abnormal heartbeats that start in one of the ventricles of the heart. They are apparently fairly common and if they are only occasional they are not too serious - just annoying.

A good friend of mine had them as well but hers were frequent and a couple of times landed her in the emergency room with nausea and symptoms similar to an anxiety attack. I can't remember the name for what she was diagnosed with but she recently had Cardiac Ablation to correct the heart rhythm problems. They use the procedure to scar or destroy tissue in your heart that is sending the electrical impulse that causes the irregular heart beat.

I agree with those that say you should push for the care you need. It's pretty important to get that EKG or have the monitor on when the symptoms are presenting. It may be nothing, but it is worth the peace of mind to find out for sure.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I would defenitely look into it more. I have had palpitations before but never with the other symptoms and never where I needed to go to the ER. Maybe they should refer you to a cardiologist to have a full checkup by him/her?
Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I have had experience with heart palpitations but zero chest pain. Several years ago I started feeling them and went to my doctor. He order an EKG which showed a slight blood vessel leak in my heart. It is so minimal that it's barely noticeable. In any case they told me to stay off caffeine and as long as I follow their orders I don't feel them as much. If you are having any pains along with palpitations or irregular heartbeat I would definitely suggest you follow up with a cardiologist just to put your mind at ease. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

well. I ended up in the hospital and am still here. it just got to be too much so my friend made me come back and I've been here since yesterday They started Coreg and are going to go from there but this is seriously NO fun :*( thank GOD for laptops lol

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh, feel better soon!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Glad you are getting taken care of! Hope the hopsital can get everything figured out so you feel better soon!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That's such a scary feeling! I hope you can get some answers!

I had a blood transfusion a few years back and I had heart palpitations for a few weeks after that. The tests all came back fine so I just gave it time and they went away and haven't been back. I think it was just my body trying to accept the 'new' blood. I can't imagine having to deal with that on a regular basis or in such an extreme case as yours.