Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-10-2021, 03:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Cutting the Cord

We cancelled cable years ago, but when we moved my mom in with us, we started up again with Directv because she watched more TV than we did. Directv has increased our payment by over $70 in the just over a year that we've had it. I'm done!

We have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I'm looking into YouTubeTV and Discovery+. I think the combination of the two will give my mom enough channels for a lot less money.

Have you cut the cable cord? What services do you use?
Old 08-10-2021, 04:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes, we cut cable pretty much as soon as Netflix switched from just DVDs to streaming. I don't even know how long it's been now.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a few. NETFLIX, HULU, PRIME, HBOMAX

Old 08-10-2021, 04:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have not cut the cord as they also provide our internet and phone. Our service during the lock down was pretty darn good, so they've got me for a while to come. Plus, my husband is the T.V. person, and he likes his sports.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We got rid of cable 10 years ago. We have Netflix, Hulu and sometimes Disney+. There's way more than we need on those three services so sometimes the girls binge watch Disney+ and then I'll cancel for a month or two and wait for more content and do another month membership. They make it really easy to just restart and it remembers all your profiles/info etc.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:37 PM
Banned

profile gallery

We have Hulu, Netflix, Discovery+, and Paramount+. It's about $25 for all 4 services and there's more than enough to watch. We had Disney, but the girls didn't watch it much, so we cancelled it. We don't have any live TV and don't miss it!
Old 08-10-2021, 04:38 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post
We got rid of cable 10 years ago. We have Netflix, Hulu and sometimes Disney+. There's way more than we need on those three services so sometimes the girls binge watch Disney+ and then I'll cancel for a month or two and wait for more content and do another month membership. They make it really easy to just restart and it remembers all your profiles/info etc.
Same! I told the girls we could restart Disney if there were things they wanted to watch in the future. So easy to start and restart.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh - we haven't had cable since Jake was like 4... haha. We had Sling, but are cutting the cord with that as can get bravo now on peacock. We also have Hulu so I can watch current tv, discovery plus as we love 90 day fiance, and netflix which we can let go as rarely watch it. We also have amazon prime - but don't watch it much. Hubby has paramount because they watch star trek... and we have Apple because we are cra-cra for anything Apple, haha. So - I we need to cut out the extra apps...
Old 08-10-2021, 04:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Maybe I'll just start with Discovery+ and see how that goes. There are so many options now. Thankfully hubs isn't a sports watcher, so I don't have to worry about that. Our youngest got Disney+ because there were some shows he wanted to watch. I guess I should watch it before he cancels
Old 08-10-2021, 08:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've wanted to forever, but DH is a big sports fan and will never give up DirectTV. It's ridiculously expensive, especially with the sports packages, and he's the only one who ever watches it. As for streaming services, we have Amazon Prime and Netflix plus a bundle with Disney Plus, ESPN, and Hulu. The Disney bundle was supposed to be temporary, but they keep coming out with new Marvel and sometimes Star Wars content that people here want to watch.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have Netflix, Disney+, Prime & Hulu. Hulu has so many shows my childhood, and I thought I would love watching that, but it turns out I don't. I really just want to watch the new Marvel shows and Agatha Raisin.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:27 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I cut the cord 5 years ago and after 6 weeks, I got cable back. What I wanted to watch wasn't available on streaming at that time. Well, actually I didn't completely cut the cord since I switched to a package for channels 2-13 which were all the "local" stations. I happen to live where we have no actual local stations and antennas don't always give a good signal for the ABC, NBC or CBS stations.

I also get a break on price since cable and internet are bundled. TV is on as long as I am in the house (even when I sleep) because I need the background noise to keep the tinnitus at a low roar. Streaming didn't work for me as it would time out on me.

I do have Amazon Prime but never watch it.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We cut it about 12 yrs ago when AT&T tried to pull one over on us and call us new customers bc we moved into a new house. I told them no more.
We have Netflix, Disney, UpFaith and Family, Hulu and Prime. Netflix is paid for through our Tmobile and Hulu we pay $1.99 a month. Hulu always run a special around black Friday for that price so we rejoin under new emails and different CC. LOL My hubby loves his sports but we use the ESPN channel on Roku and login to my inlaws account...same with TLC, Golf Network...LOL We have made it work. We got Disney when they first advertised so we paid some price for 2 yrs worth...
Old 08-11-2021, 08:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've never had cable. I hate American tv compared to the French one I'm used to. Commercials every 5 min is ridiculous. In France it was one commercial every half hour or so.

We have Netflix, Prime and Disney+ and it's more than enough for us.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I finally convinced J to cut cable many, many, many long years ago. Up until this last move, we had Disney+ , Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. Now that we've moved and it's just me paying for subscriptions, we have Prime (because I pay for prime annually) although we never use it for the streaming aspect of it. Netflix is our main source of tv/movies. Even then, we hardly are watching anything that if we did cut that out, it wouldn't be missed too much, with the exception of Camp Cretaceous and My Little Pony for the youngest!
Old 08-11-2021, 10:32 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

we did cut the cord! we have too many apps though - I like Youtube TV but we also have Netflix, Disney+, HBO max and a few others
Old 08-11-2021, 11:34 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We just got rid of cable and added Youtube Tv. It's saving us probably $30 a month from traditional cable. My husband wanted to keep something for sports. So far I like.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:42 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have dish TV and could honestly get rid of it and not miss it a bit, but my son and I watch some special shows together that are only available there. I also have netflix and disney+ but my son pays for those, so there is no need to get rid of them.

The thing I would like to cut the cord on is my house phone, but they also provide my internet, so I keep it.
Old 08-11-2021, 12:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
The thing I would like to cut the cord on is my house phone, but they also provide my internet, so I keep it.
With this move, I JUST cut the cord on my house phone and I HATE it!!! I miss having a house phone. I miss SO many phone calls on my cell. Although I have gotten a lot better talking on my phone, thanks to a friend's suggestion of using earbuds - but half the time I'm like "hold on, I have to find my earbuds" with the other person laughing!
Old 08-11-2021, 02:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
With this move, I JUST cut the cord on my house phone and I HATE it!!! I miss having a house phone. I miss SO many phone calls on my cell. Although I have gotten a lot better talking on my phone, thanks to a friend's suggestion of using earbuds - but half the time I'm like "hold on, I have to find my earbuds" with the other person laughing!
Truthfully, I hate talking on the phone, so if I don't know who is on the other end, I just don't answer. And I don't carry my cell around, so I miss calls on that all the time. I like it that way. LOL
Old 08-11-2021, 03:23 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

We ended our cable service many years ago, along with telephone. We currently have Mediacom internet, and then we have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, Disney+ and we also use VUDU for movies that we own and watch repeatedly. Hulu has been cut down to the basics until football returns and then we'll pay for the entire package again.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:52 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
My phone, internet and cable are all the same company. A local company. They have gotten with the times and now have a bundle package for those with just internet/cable. I can't go wrong with them because all service techs are from this area and quite often service will happen within 24 hours.

I cut my house phone many years ago. All I got were telemarketing calls. I am very selective as to who has my cell number also. I miss calls all the time because I have the cell on DND (except for contacts). Had to do that even before COVID because of all the calls about signing up for Medicare plans. Those started 9 months before I turned 65! And, 9 months after turning 65, still getting some.

If I give someone my number and they are not in my contacts, I do tell them that they need to leave a voice mail and I will get back to them.

But I do also hate talking on the phone for 2 reasons. Loss of hearing in one ear and tinnitus in the other. I have a hard time understanding people I don't know. Heck, when Dad was alive I sometimes had problems understanding him on the phone!
Old 08-11-2021, 04:34 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We wanted to get rid of the cost of our home phone but my hubby wanted to keep the number, so we transferred it over to Ooma. It is an internet phone, but we can use our traditional cordless phone system we had with our landline. It had an upfront cost to buy the ooma unit & we pay $5/month for all local/long distance. Good compromise for us =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
Old 08-11-2021, 04:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Truthfully, I hate talking on the phone, so if I don't know who is on the other end, I just don't answer. And I don't carry my cell around, so I miss calls on that all the time. I like it that way. LOL
I don't answer calls either. If I know who they are, I might answer them. But I'm really terrible about talking on the phone. The earbuds help because I'm able to do other things than hold a phone over my ear and do nothing. I'm trying to go outside of my comfort zone and talk on the phone to more people. I have my moments, but then I have my recluse "don't bother me days"
Old 08-11-2021, 06:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I have dish TV and could honestly get rid of it and not miss it a bit, but my son and I watch some special shows together that are only available there. I also have netflix and disney+ but my son pays for those, so there is no need to get rid of them.

We cut our house phone almost 10 years ago!! I don't miss it one bit!
Old 08-11-2021, 08:57 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Haven't had cable here for a long time. I am in Canada and we have Netflix, and Prime. I do also watch a few shows online through local carriers. New shows are usually available for a week after they air, and then they have also added older shows and movies which can be nice for a change.

Old 08-13-2021, 01:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!! I'm looking into Google TV right now because it seems like it might be the easiest for my mom. I still have to call Directv (ugh!). I'm dreading doing that because I know it will take a really long time!
Old 08-13-2021, 09:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Thank you all for sharing your experiences!! I'm looking into Google TV right now because it seems like it might be the easiest for my mom. I still have to call Directv (ugh!). I'm dreading doing that because I know it will take a really long time!
FYI when you call they will cut the price! Every time we've done this we get free premium channels for a period of time and a lower bill - lol

Old 08-13-2021, 10:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton94 View Post
FYI when you call they will cut the price! Every time we've done this we get free premium channels for a period of time and a lower bill - lol
LOL! Thanks, Krista!
Old 08-14-2021, 12:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Cable is a bit exhausting, you literally have to call annually and threaten to leave for them to offer you something reasonable. I actually have a reminder set to call and complain every year! lol We still have cable plus Hulu, Disney+, Netflix, Apple+ (free from our iPhone purchase) & Prime (purchased for shipping). I actually don't watch much TV, but the other 4 humans in my house do. We hardly ever use Disney+ (and it's ornery on some of our TVs), but it's only like $2/month bundled in with Hulu.