Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-26-2021, 10:59 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default February 27 - Foodie Challenge

Can you believe we are almost to the end of our fabulous birthday celebration month?!? I hope everyone has had fun playing along with the party challenges.

I have a laid back challenge for you today that is both fun and relaxing . . . All you need to do is post your favorite birthday food(s). What food do you just NEED to have on your birthday? You can post a photo of your favorite food, share a recipe or even post your favorite meal menu.

NO SCRAPPING REQUIRED for this challenge, but you are free to post a new page with your birthday foodie favorites if you feel inspired.

I scrapped my favorite birthday dinner menu:

Deadline: 11:59 on Monday, March 1.

Everyone who participates & posts before the deadline will receive this fabulous coordinating piece of the You Say It's Your Birthday collab by Christine of Digilicious Design.

Don't forget that you'll receive a new piece of the collection for participating in each day's challenge, and if you successfully complete a Blackout on this year's Party Game A Day Bingo, you'll be entered to win a $100 gift certificate to The Shoppe too!

Have fun with this challenge - I can't wait to see all your foodie inspiration!
Old 02-27-2021, 06:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are usually fairly "low key" with the birthday celebrations. 90% of the time I bake a cake (vs buying one.) You just HAVE to have a cake! Well, we do. lol I posted a layout yesterday that showed one of the rare times that we went out to eat (probably mainly to take my husband's elderly parents out) and my husband BOUGHT a cake.

Here's that layout:
Old 02-27-2021, 06:57 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

The only thing I want on my birthday is chocolate cake. I'm not picky on the type as long as it's chocolate.

Last edited by jema; 02-27-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:12 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I start my day with a venti caramel macchiato from Starbucks! For dinner it has to be Mexican food-chicken chimichanga or Thai, house fried rice with chicken and extra spicy.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:22 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

There's no specific birthday food I have to have, but the day just doesn't feel right if I don't start it with a strong mug of coffee.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:30 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I never really celebrate my birthday. But I usually have my summer vacation in September and I try to visit a Hard Rock Cafe for a little pre-birthday dinner! My must haves are always the nachos to share and some sort of cheesecake, I love their cheesecake! These photos were taken last year when we were in Munich on my actual birthday 🥳

Old 02-27-2021, 07:35 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

No special menu, but cake has to be a chocolate cake! Yum!
Old 02-27-2021, 07:42 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Birthdays are basically required to have buns in Denmark. I actually think they are kind of boring, but there would be a riot if I didn't have them!
Old 02-27-2021, 07:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Beef tenderloin is my absolute favorite birthday treat!
Old 02-27-2021, 08:06 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

In our family everyone gets to choose the menu for their birthday dinner - lasagna is always the winner!

Old 02-27-2021, 08:09 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

For birthdays we usually get the family together and the person whose birthday it is gets to pick the restaurant. For my birthday, I usually pick Outback and they usually have the steak and lobster tail special which I love! YUM!!
Old 02-27-2021, 08:09 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Call me a stereotypical Texan, but my birthday hasn't officially been celebrated until I've had steak. I've eaten at III Forks and Fogo de Chao and Ruths Chris, but my favorite steakhouse in the DFW area, bar none, is Saltgrass. It's probably the one and only time my taste isn't for the most expensive option!

Sweet tea.
Beer Bread with honey butter.
An order of Queso Fresco - white cheese, brisket, pico de gallo, and cilantro served with tostada chips.

Then, a dinner salad. Or Caesar, if I'm feeling fancy.

And finally, their 9oz center-cut filet, medium rare.

I never, ever have room for dessert.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:17 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My must is my mom's Creme Caramel, the best ever!
Old 02-27-2021, 08:21 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

In our family, we have a tradition of letting the birthday celebrant choose a place to eat out for lunch, and sometimes we also do dinner. My favorite place for lunch or dinner is Mike’s American Grill. I always order the Hickory Grilled Fresh Fish (hand filleted in house daily), but first we need to have their Hot Spinach and Artichoke dip, so delicious. We have dessert at home, an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't always get to have it for my birthday, but if I got to choose the meal, it would be Filet Mignon (medium), asparagus, mashed potato, glass of wine and for dessert, chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting (heavy on the frosting!).
Old 02-27-2021, 08:26 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

It was my page for yesterday!
But what I really like to have for my birthday (even more than cake) is Starbucks! Frappucino Vanilla sugarfree! Nomnom!

Old 02-27-2021, 08:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

I don't have any specific birthday dinner.... like several others have mentioned, the person whose birthday it is chooses the place we eat. It really depends on what I'm in the mood for... sometimes, it's Chinese, sometimes Mexican, sometimes it's a steak on the grill (those steak photos above - OMG!). There is always some kind of dessert - not necessarily a cake - could be cheesecake or whatever - but there definitely must be ice cream!
When I was younger, I remember always requesting that my mom make a strawberry angel food cake with whipped cream frosting. I know I have photos of that somewhere - I'll see if I can find one.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:38 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

My favorite birthday meal has always been my mom's Puerto Rican rice and beans, with her fried chicken. It's my favorite, and now that I live too far to have it on my birthday, I usually have to make it myself. It's not as good, but it's close.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:48 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My favorite thing to have on my birthday is a grasshopper cake! My husband makes it completely homemade: 2 round chocolate cakes (from scratch- not box) with a mint whip cream (again, whipped by hand) center and a whip cream top with mini chocolate chips. It's sooooooooo good!!

As for dinner, I get to choose, but I usually choose something we haven't had in a while that I really like: homemade chicken alfredo, homemade beef and broccoli, Olive Garden (lol), steaks...whatever I'm feeling.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My birthday is mid May, which is usually when all the Seasonal Fish Shacks, Ice Cream and Burger places open up.... so I ALWAYS need to go to one of these places. More often than Not I'll get Haddie Bits and Fries.... lately, I've been getting that only upgrading my fries to a Poutine. For Dessert I prefer Strawberry Shortcake over traditional Cake. <3
Old 02-27-2021, 08:56 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I don't really care what I eat when we're overseas, but if I'm home for my birthday, I want to eat chips, salsa & cheese dip and drink all the punch at Mexico Chiquito, my favorite Mexican restaurant.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Growing up my Mom would let the Birthday person pick the food for the entire day... breakfast, lunch and dinner... and of course dessert. I have continued that tradition and love being spoiled and spoiling others on their special day.

As an adult, I find going out on my birthday to be half the fun. No one has to cook or clean up!

We have a local Thai restaurant that we all just love. We don't eat their very often. Shrimp Fried Rice would be my b-day treat. For cake, it would be devils food with Momma's whipped cream icing. Yum, yum and more yum!

I am going to be thinking about this all day now... I guess carry out for dinner and I need to find that icing recipe and make a cake today!

Old 02-27-2021, 09:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_merkins View Post
My favorite thing to have on my birthday is a grasshopper cake! My husband makes it completely homemade: 2 round chocolate cakes (from scratch- not box) with a mint whip cream (again, whipped by hand) center and a whip cream top with mini chocolate chips. It's sooooooooo good!!

As for dinner, I get to choose, but I usually choose something we haven't had in a while that I really like: homemade chicken alfredo, homemade beef and broccoli, Olive Garden (lol), steaks...whatever I'm feeling.
That cake sounds amazing! I love mint flavored stuff.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There really is no question where to go for my birthday dinner ... we've been going to The Candlelight Inn for nearly 35 years now. This was last year's birthday dinner - scrumptious!! There really isn't anything I "have" to have to celebrate my birthday, but hands down, we will go to The Candlelight.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love to have chocolate cake!
Old 02-27-2021, 09:23 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

My birthday is at the end of June, so I love the freshness of a good mixed salad: here, a potato salad with fresh shrimps, new first tomatoes, fresh blond mushrooms and salicornia (the best season in France to have them very tender )
Follow-up of the first strawberries from the garden ..... yum

Old 02-27-2021, 09:31 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don´t really care what we eat as long as I don´t have do it!
But I really want cake! <3
Old 02-27-2021, 09:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My favorite birthday cake is Pellman's carrot cake, so I always ask for that for my birthday!

Old 02-27-2021, 09:40 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Usually I don't get any specific food but if I had my way, I'd have a lovely crème brûlée with fresh strawberries or raspberries and a giant apple cider frozen margarita (a fall speciality at a restaurant near us).

Yum!
Old 02-27-2021, 09:44 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

On my birthday, I love to go to a restaurant called Toast (or it's other location - Hutch). It's local and yummy - my favorite is their Chicken Thai Wrap. If I have a cake - it must be chocolate! This is a layout from a particularly fun birthday in 2019 when my sister and her family were here to celebrate with us at Hutch! (Plus I got another favorite for breakfast on that birthday - Panera bagels!)

Old 02-27-2021, 09:50 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Usually we go to fancy steakhouse for my birthday. Their lobster Mac and cheese is to die for!
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My birthday falls in May, so strawberries are just coming into peak season and super yummy. My mom always made me "ice cream cake" but surprisingly there is no ice cream in it. It's an angel food cake - it's cut horizontally to dig out cake for a moat for vanilla custard. It's then frosted with the custard, topped with strawberries and the center ring is also filled with any remaining custard and strawberries. It's definitely "birthday cake" to me.

It's really an old layout and all products are retired, but in case someone wants the recipe... here you go.
Berry-licious and Berry-licious words by Happy Scrap Girl
May Freebie Templates by Chrissy W
Fonts: Traveling Typewriter and DJB With a Little Help from my Friends by Darcy Baldwin
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Before celiac became a thing in my life, I would've said cake, but it's a lot harder to ensure cake is available these days (especially living in not a big city), so now I'm pretty solid as long as I get a margarita on my birthday.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Definitely need to take pictures next time I eat there. My favorite place to eat is ShoGun it’s a Japanese place here. I usually get salad, filet, chicken, fried rice, and vegetables. For my cake I like chocolate cupcakes with vanilla icing. The kind I make. If someone buys me something I love edible arrangements with some chocolate dipped fruit and plain fruit.

Last edited by ~Cindy~; 02-27-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I absolutely must have something chocolate. Cake, pie, candy, I'm not picky!
Old 02-27-2021, 10:07 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

My birthday has never really been about dinner itself but about cake! My favorite is white cake with buttercream frosting. We quit getting cakes for our birthdays because all three of us (son, hubby and me) have our birthdays within 30 days, and that was just too much sweets, especially with Halloween and Thanksgiving in that time period! We've switched to cupcakes. This is a photo of the cupcakes from Gigi's Cupcakes for my birthday a couple of years ago. The one on the bottom right is mine - white cake with buttercream frosting and sprinkles.

Last edited by lizziej; 02-27-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:09 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My birthday dinner of choice is coconut shrimp, mashed potatoes and salad from my favorite restaurant. Didn't get to go this year with the quarantine so my next birthday I may just need to get a double order to make up for it!

Old 02-27-2021, 10:11 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

A cake is a must but the birthday person always chooses the dinner menu. After visiting Japan several years ago I would also choose a Japanese favorite. One year I choose Ramen and potatoe croquettes which also warranted a gifting of my own Ramen bowl for Christmas.

Last edited by Route66; 02-27-2021 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:18 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

For as long as I can remember I have always had a black forest cake on my birthday. 30+ years at least A couple of years ago I realised I am not enjoying it as much as when I was younger, so have asked for it to be something different. But it is so ingrained in everyone's minds that I still get treated to a black forest cake, no matter that I mention changing it every year!

Old 02-27-2021, 10:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We also let the birthday person choose the menu for the day - at least dinner but if we are going to all be home for the other meals those too.
My husband is typically the one who cooks birthday meals - he's a much better cook than I am! My choice the past few years has been steak, mushroom risotto, and roasted brussel sprouts. I'm not a huge cake person, I love cookies though and cheese cake so often will have cookies (not cookie cake as most of the places we have tried to order a cookie cake from I don't like the icing lol) or maybe cheesecake
Old 02-27-2021, 10:39 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

We also go out and let the birthday person choose... it varies, but if my birthday were right now I'd pick Chuy's Tex Mex! Both their beef fajitas and their chicken enchiladas are incredible... as are their margaritas
Old 02-27-2021, 10:39 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

If someone my family is cooking me dinner at home my usual choice is Beef Stroganoff. If we go out I will typically pick a Mexican restaurant of some type because I also love enchiladas. For cake it is usually carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:40 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Birthday person gets to choose the restaurant in our house. I used to always choose a seafood restaurant and get lobster, which I don't get to eat the rest of the year. But 5 years ago my oldest was diagnosed with a shellfish allergy, so no more seafood restaurants for us. Now I usually choose an Indian restaurant. It's the only time we go for Indian because DH and one of the kids don't like it. Lately my favorite dish there has been Paneer Makhani, but any of their paneer dishes are good. I'm not really a cake person. We either go out for ice cream or have some sort of chocolate candy for dessert.

Back with a photo! I don't have any of my own, but this is from a recipe (linked to photo).

Last edited by rach3975; 02-27-2021 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:44 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Well, I really haven't had this in a while because my mom always made it for me. But, this is THE BEST cake I've ever had on my birthday...

Cherry Chip Bundt Cake with Powdered Sugar Frosting
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-27-2021, 10:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My ideal birthday menu is:
Sirloin Oscar medium rare from the Keg
a side of garlic mashed potatoes
a crème Brûlée for dessert!
Old 02-27-2021, 10:56 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

We usually have Indian food on my birthday. My favorite is mattar paneer, but I'm really pretty flexible about it. The birthday person gets to pick the food/restaurant, but if my kids are asking for something else, we can go that route.

As for the cake, I usually spend some time browsing Pinterest to find a new recipe to make. On my most recent birthday, I made a lemon bundt cake using the new bundt pan I got as a present. (My daughter added the candles, which is why they're on backwards!)

Old 02-27-2021, 11:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziej View Post
My birthday has never really been about dinner itself but about cake! My favorite is white cake with buttercream frosting. We quit getting cakes for our birthdays because all three of us (son, hubby and me) have our birthdays within 30 days, and that was just too much sweets, especially with Halloween and Thanksgiving in that time period! We've switched to cupcakes. This is a photo of the cupcakes from Gigi's Cupcakes for my birthday a couple of years ago. The one on the bottom right is mine - white cake with buttercream frosting and sprinkles.
Are you in Wisconsin? Every time we go there for hockey we stop at Gigi's! LOL!!!
Old 02-27-2021, 11:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OMG, I am starving and salivating after reading EVERY SINGLE post in this thread!

I wish there was a good puertorrican restaurant near me. For my birthday I want a "mofongo con carne frita". For dessert I want either puertorrican wedding cake or cheesecake!!!!

Most of the time we end up with just a really good GF chocolate cake that I bake.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:15 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

every year i have to get a lilikoi crunch cake from king's hawaiian.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:17 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

My birthday is in May, so usually a bbq is in order. The usual chicken, burgers, brats and fixins. These are not my favorite foods, but they are delish!