Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2022, 03:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Favorite things about where you live

I've been dealing with some health issues that made me unable to spend a lot of time at my computer. I'm happy to say that I'm about 95% back to normal!

I've been thinking about my favorite things about where we live. We moved to Boise, Idaho in June, 2017. Hubby and I and all our kids were born and raised in So Cal, so this was a major change.

We absolutely LOVE Idaho, and I couldn't even imagine living in So Cal ever again.

Some of the things I love about where we live is that people are so friendly and neighborly here. We love having 4 seasons! We're still like little kids every time it snows. We can drive just 10 minutes and be in "farm country", but we're also close to shopping, restaurants, etc.

I could keep going, but I'm sure you'd be bored.

I can't wait to hear about where you live!
Old 12-26-2022, 04:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

The main thing I used to love was the cost of living is very affordable but it has increased so much lately and it is no longer true. We do have really good, well-rated public schools. The size of the city is nice enough to still feel safe, but yet feel big enough. We are only 2.5 hours from a major metro area. We are less than an hour from many lakes.
Old 12-26-2022, 06:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
The main thing I used to love was the cost of living is very affordable but it has increased so much lately and it is no longer true. We do have really good, well-rated public schools. The size of the city is nice enough to still feel safe, but yet feel big enough. We are only 2.5 hours from a major metro area. We are less than an hour from many lakes.
It sounds like a lovely place to live! Our area has had affordability issues over the past few years. So many people are moving here from out of state, and it's creating higher housing prices.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What I love about New Zealand at the moment is that it's summertime with beautiful hot weather. I've been following you guys and the cold snap in the States and I am SO glad that's nowhere near me!
Old 12-26-2022, 09:48 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We'll be moving in the next 6 months or so (don't know where yet), so I've been thinking about this a lot!
-Hands down, the best thing about living in Alaska is the scenery!! I love seeing the mountains right from my window & when driving around. I feel like every time I'm in the car, I say "look how beautiful the sky/mountains/sunrise, etc.". I remind myself every day that I'll probably need to look a little harder to find the beauty in every single day wherever we live next.
-I also really like the casualness. Everyone goes everywhere in fishing boots & sweatshirts.
-I'll really miss the availability of pho. Seems like there's a pho place on every corner in Anchorage and I love it.
-Closer to home, I love living on a military base. I love the community, being able to walk to the library, being within 15 minutes of pretty much everything- work, activities, appointments, groceries- and the special and routine events we get to participate in.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:29 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I live in a relatively small town and I love that. Heck, I can walk 1/2 mile and see a cornfield! It is right by the river and the area floods very easily so when the addition was developed in the 1950's, that land was not included for housing. Some years it has corn, some years, wheat and some years beans.

I also have 4 seasons although there are times I can do without one of them... the last few days especially! We did get to a high of 22 today but we're forecast for 50's at the end of the week.

I had planned on moving to FL when I retired but when the time came, after thinking about it long and hard, I chose not to. My house is paid off, I'm settled and my life is here. I basically decided I'm an Ohio girl to the core. I can always visit the FL relatives if I want to!
Old 12-27-2022, 01:47 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I live just outside of the Kansas City area. First, we've got an incredible soccer team that I absolutely love, so being near that is always an amazing thing. It means I can sometimes score some affordable last-minute tickets to the games. We're also near enough to the science museum, and some other fun places like Legoland Discovery Center and SeaLife.

But more than anything, I absolutely adore our library system. They have regular craft programs, amazing groups for teens (a pride club, pokemon club, a video game room, etc), a gorgeous makerspace, and of course, tons of books.

We also live super close to a coffee shop and the cutest historic main street with lots of small businesses, which I adore!
Old 12-27-2022, 11:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love that Ohio has all the seasons. Never a dull moment weather wise.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
What I love about New Zealand at the moment is that it's summertime with beautiful hot weather. I've been following you guys and the cold snap in the States and I am SO glad that's nowhere near me!
I wish I loved hot weather. I'm so glad it makes you happy!!
Old 12-27-2022, 01:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
We'll be moving in the next 6 months or so (don't know where yet), so I've been thinking about this a lot!
-Hands down, the best thing about living in Alaska is the scenery!! I love seeing the mountains right from my window & when driving around. I feel like every time I'm in the car, I say "look how beautiful the sky/mountains/sunrise, etc.". I remind myself every day that I'll probably need to look a little harder to find the beauty in every single day wherever we live next.
-I also really like the casualness. Everyone goes everywhere in fishing boots & sweatshirts.
-I'll really miss the availability of pho. Seems like there's a pho place on every corner in Anchorage and I love it.
-Closer to home, I love living on a military base. I love the community, being able to walk to the library, being within 15 minutes of pretty much everything- work, activities, appointments, groceries- and the special and routine events we get to participate in.
I loved Alaska when we visited many years ago. It is so beautiful! I hope your next move is someplace beautiful that you will love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
I live in a relatively small town and I love that. Heck, I can walk 1/2 mile and see a cornfield! It is right by the river and the area floods very easily so when the addition was developed in the 1950's, that land was not included for housing. Some years it has corn, some years, wheat and some years beans.

I also have 4 seasons although there are times I can do without one of them... the last few days especially! We did get to a high of 22 today but we're forecast for 50's at the end of the week.

I had planned on moving to FL when I retired but when the time came, after thinking about it long and hard, I chose not to. My house is paid off, I'm settled and my life is here. I basically decided I'm an Ohio girl to the core. I can always visit the FL relatives if I want to!
I've never been to Ohio, but it sounds beautiful. LOL! We are supposed to be a "balmy" 49 today.

It seems like so many people move to FL when they retire. But I can appreciate deciding against it. Visiting is a good thing.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhartauthor View Post
I live just outside of the Kansas City area. First, we've got an incredible soccer team that I absolutely love, so being near that is always an amazing thing. It means I can sometimes score some affordable last-minute tickets to the games. We're also near enough to the science museum, and some other fun places like Legoland Discovery Center and SeaLife.

But more than anything, I absolutely adore our library system. They have regular craft programs, amazing groups for teens (a pride club, pokemon club, a video game room, etc), a gorgeous makerspace, and of course, tons of books.

We also live super close to a coffee shop and the cutest historic main street with lots of small businesses, which I adore!
Having activities close is definitely a benefit when the kids are young (or not so young). Your library system sounds amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
LOL! We always joke that if you don't like the weather here in Idaho, just wait an hour and it will be different!
Old 12-27-2022, 01:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love Boise too!

We are in Spokane, WA- just almost to Idaho border. We are about 300 miles east of Seattle & about 90 miles south of the Canadian (British Columbia) border. It is known as the birthplace of Father's Day! Officially, Spokane goes by the nickname of Hooptown USA, due to Spokane annually hosting Spokane Hoopfest, the world's largest basketball tournament every summer. It's the second-largest city in Washington! The cost of living is much better here on the east side as well!

We too have 4 seasons- Pretty Spring, Hot summers, beautiful Fall & Cold/snowy winters- & I am also a kid at heart when it snows! I love having a white Christmas every year (almost...been a couple just really cold ones..) The Spokane River runs right through the downtown Spokane district with a centralized park- Riverfront Park. It's beautiful year round! We have 5 ski mountains withing an hour or so drive & MANY rivers & 76 lakes within 50 miles for tons of outdoor recreation! The most famous is Lake Coeur d'Alene- just a 20 minute drive from our house. We are lucky enough to have family that has a house on the lake, so that's where you'll find us most of the summer! It's honestly one of the most beautiful places on Earth!

We specifically live in Spokane Valley- a smaller city, but feels a lot bigger. Downtown Spokane is 20 minutes from our house & has everything one could need as far as doctors, hospitals, theater, parks & restaurants. We also have highly rated public schools in our district here in Central Valley & a pretty low crime rate.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:12 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Hands down the best thing about NYC is the FOOD. Every kind of food you can imagine and even more you haven't. I also love that I live somewhere walkable. I rent a car for big road trips, but otherwise, we walk everywhere or take public transport. Not having to rely on a car, the maintenance, insurance, parking, etc. makes life so much easier. I can walk to a bodega and get snacks and there are plenty of markets nearby so I'm able to get everything we need close to home. Being able to walk everywhere helps me stay active and a bit healthier, too. It's a lifestyle I wouldn't trade for anything.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Another die-hard, Ohio-lifer girl here. I'm never leaving. People here moan about the weather, but I love it! Perfect growing season, fun winters with snow, gorgeous falls, spring (well, we do get spring some years, lol. Sometimes it goes straight from winter to summer overnight!) Specifically about my area of Ohio, I have plenty of space around me--lots of woods, farms, fields, etc, and I can be as introverted as I want. When I want people, they're not far away. We have the cutest town square (better than Hallmark, people), an amazing county park system, one of the best library systems in the country, a national park 30 minutes away, Lake Erie beaches, and a million pick-your-own farms. I have this funny little habit when I'm traveling. As soon as we pass back over the Ohio line, I think, "PHew! Now if we get in an accident at least I'll die in Ohio!" I have NO IDEA where that comes from, but every single time, I'm thinking it!

Old 12-27-2022, 04:24 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
Especially this week... below 0 on Saturday (24th), looking at 50's on Thursday (29th) not to mention 60 on Tuesday, Jan 3!
Old 12-27-2022, 06:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sometimes I feel like there is absolutely NOTHING here... but that's part of what I love about it, I guess.

I grew up in Arizona, bouncing around between Phoenix, Mesa, and Apache Junction. Things were a LOT different there. I've now lived in Southeast Kansas longer than I lived in Arizona, but I still miss some things about 'home'... like the Superstition Mountains. I miss the mountains SO much!

Living here, we are a few miles outside of town. We are 10 miles from my job, and about 12-13 from my husband's. We are close enough that we don't mind driving into town for things, but far enough out that we have a lot of privacy and seclusion. We live on 10 acres and are surrounded by a lot of acreage that isn't used except to hunt on and mow for hay once a year. Our closest neighbor is 1/4 mile down the road. We can see his barn from our house but not his house or anything else. Since moving here we've gotten goats, chickens, ducks, and turkeys. We also had a miniature horse for about 4 years.

Cost of living is really reasonable here. While housing has gone up, it is still a far cry from most other areas. We aren't too far from entertainment. We can drive an hour to Joplin, Missouri. We can drive 2 hours to Tulsa, Oklahoma or Kansas City, Kansas. We don't spend a lot of money on entertainment because it does require a drive and planning but we are still close enough that it isn't too hard to go those places if we want to see a concert or something.
Old 12-28-2022, 01:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
I love Boise too!

We are in Spokane, WA- just almost to Idaho border. We are about 300 miles east of Seattle & about 90 miles south of the Canadian (British Columbia) border. It is known as the birthplace of Father's Day! Officially, Spokane goes by the nickname of Hooptown USA, due to Spokane annually hosting Spokane Hoopfest, the world's largest basketball tournament every summer. It's the second-largest city in Washington! The cost of living is much better here on the east side as well!

We too have 4 seasons- Pretty Spring, Hot summers, beautiful Fall & Cold/snowy winters- & I am also a kid at heart when it snows! I love having a white Christmas every year (almost...been a couple just really cold ones..) The Spokane River runs right through the downtown Spokane district with a centralized park- Riverfront Park. It's beautiful year round! We have 5 ski mountains withing an hour or so drive & MANY rivers & 76 lakes within 50 miles for tons of outdoor recreation! The most famous is Lake Coeur d'Alene- just a 20 minute drive from our house. We are lucky enough to have family that has a house on the lake, so that's where you'll find us most of the summer! It's honestly one of the most beautiful places on Earth!

We specifically live in Spokane Valley- a smaller city, but feels a lot bigger. Downtown Spokane is 20 minutes from our house & has everything one could need as far as doctors, hospitals, theater, parks & restaurants. We also have highly rated public schools in our district here in Central Valley & a pretty low crime rate.
I visited downtown Spokane last August and was in awe of the beautifully restored buildings. I didn't get to see much else. Hopefully I'll have time to see more when I help my son move up to CDA for the summer again! And, hopefully I'll get to meet you, Amie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScrap View Post
Hands down the best thing about NYC is the FOOD. Every kind of food you can imagine and even more you haven't. I also love that I live somewhere walkable. I rent a car for big road trips, but otherwise, we walk everywhere or take public transport. Not having to rely on a car, the maintenance, insurance, parking, etc. makes life so much easier. I can walk to a bodega and get snacks and there are plenty of markets nearby so I'm able to get everything we need close to home. Being able to walk everywhere helps me stay active and a bit healthier, too. It's a lifestyle I wouldn't trade for anything.
I've heard that about NYC. I'm so not a city person, so I think it would be overwhelming to me. I love that we're all so different, and there is a place for each of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
Another die-hard, Ohio-lifer girl here. I'm never leaving. People here moan about the weather, but I love it! Perfect growing season, fun winters with snow, gorgeous falls, spring (well, we do get spring some years, lol. Sometimes it goes straight from winter to summer overnight!) Specifically about my area of Ohio, I have plenty of space around me--lots of woods, farms, fields, etc, and I can be as introverted as I want. When I want people, they're not far away. We have the cutest town square (better than Hallmark, people), an amazing county park system, one of the best library systems in the country, a national park 30 minutes away, Lake Erie beaches, and a million pick-your-own farms. I have this funny little habit when I'm traveling. As soon as we pass back over the Ohio line, I think, "PHew! Now if we get in an accident at least I'll die in Ohio!" I have NO IDEA where that comes from, but every single time, I'm thinking it!
I've noticed the beauty of your area from your layouts, Ally. I'm so happy you love where you are. It sounds idyllic! Someday I'll get to visit. ROFL! Your thought of "at least I'll die in Ohio" is hilarious! ...cradle to grave Ohioan!
Old 12-28-2022, 01:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
Sometimes I feel like there is absolutely NOTHING here... but that's part of what I love about it, I guess.

I grew up in Arizona, bouncing around between Phoenix, Mesa, and Apache Junction. Things were a LOT different there. I've now lived in Southeast Kansas longer than I lived in Arizona, but I still miss some things about 'home'... like the Superstition Mountains. I miss the mountains SO much!

Living here, we are a few miles outside of town. We are 10 miles from my job, and about 12-13 from my husband's. We are close enough that we don't mind driving into town for things, but far enough out that we have a lot of privacy and seclusion. We live on 10 acres and are surrounded by a lot of acreage that isn't used except to hunt on and mow for hay once a year. Our closest neighbor is 1/4 mile down the road. We can see his barn from our house but not his house or anything else. Since moving here we've gotten goats, chickens, ducks, and turkeys. We also had a miniature horse for about 4 years.

Cost of living is really reasonable here. While housing has gone up, it is still a far cry from most other areas. We aren't too far from entertainment. We can drive an hour to Joplin, Missouri. We can drive 2 hours to Tulsa, Oklahoma or Kansas City, Kansas. We don't spend a lot of money on entertainment because it does require a drive and planning but we are still close enough that it isn't too hard to go those places if we want to see a concert or something.
I have family in Oklahoma. I was surprised at how FLAT it was! Is Kansas like that, too? Did you move there so you could farm/homestead?
Arizona is a beautiful state, but you really have to like heat! LOL
Old 12-28-2022, 07:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I live in a pretty little historic town on the water. I love that I can hook up Harlow, go for a walk day or night and be safe. We have all 4 seasons, sometimes in the same week, lol. I am only 30 minutes from the city if I want to hit the big box stores and I am a 4 minute walk to work. We have quite a few nice trails and conservation areas close by. However, if you are looking for hills all we have to offer are speed bumps.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye View Post
I live in a pretty little historic town on the water. I love that I can hook up Harlow, go for a walk day or night and be safe. We have all 4 seasons, sometimes in the same week, lol. I am only 30 minutes from the city if I want to hit the big box stores and I am a 4 minute walk to work. We have quite a few nice trails and conservation areas close by. However, if you are looking for hills all we have to offer are speed bumps.
It sounds beautiful! I love being by the water.
Old 12-29-2022, 03:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are in San Antonio Texas and the weather is amazing...except in the summer when it is over 100. The food is great and people are friendly. The city is big but in each community you have what you need so you don't feel like you are living in a huge city.
Old 12-29-2022, 04:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I grew up in southwest Michigan. I loved every minute of it. 17 years of Michigan life spoiled me on the seasons.

Senior year of high school I moved to Tennessee. I met my hubby there right after I graduated and we moved in shortly after that. I love the scenery in TN. But I've always hated the extremely hot summers and not having all 4 seasons. Spent another 17 years of my life in TN being in love, getting married, starting our family (picking up the southern accent lol)....finally in 2011, hubby was stalling in his career and we were in MI for a funeral so he decided to put some "feelers" out for jobs.

He interviewed shortly after and April of 2011 we moved to Michigan and have been back here since. Now that I'm older and my kids are almost adults I'm definitely tiring of the cold, heavy snowy winters.

If we follow my pattern, then I guess 6 more years (that will be 17yrs, ) and we'll be moving somewhere else.

lol - I don't know where I'd want to go though......

Old 12-31-2022, 02:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
We are in San Antonio Texas and the weather is amazing...except in the summer when it is over 100. The food is great and people are friendly. The city is big but in each community you have what you need so you don't feel like you are living in a huge city.
I've always thought of San Antonio as a big city, so it's nice that each community has what you need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
I grew up in southwest Michigan. I loved every minute of it. 17 years of Michigan life spoiled me on the seasons.

Senior year of high school I moved to Tennessee. I met my hubby there right after I graduated and we moved in shortly after that. I love the scenery in TN. But I've always hated the extremely hot summers and not having all 4 seasons. Spent another 17 years of my life in TN being in love, getting married, starting our family (picking up the southern accent lol)....finally in 2011, hubby was stalling in his career and we were in MI for a funeral so he decided to put some "feelers" out for jobs.

He interviewed shortly after and April of 2011 we moved to Michigan and have been back here since. Now that I'm older and my kids are almost adults I'm definitely tiring of the cold, heavy snowy winters.

If we follow my pattern, then I guess 6 more years (that will be 17yrs, ) and we'll be moving somewhere else.

lol - I don't know where I'd want to go though......
Oh wow! Tennessee would be a huge change from Michigan! And then back again?! What a change.
I've heard a lot of people say they get tired of the heavy winters. Since we never had that in CA, and don't really it here, it's hard to comprehend. I hope you find a place that you really love for the next 17 years