Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-09-2021, 07:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Back to bed or get up?

What time is the point of no return to you if you wake up in the night and can't get back to sleep? At 4 am I was still trying to get back to sleep (hubby was not feeling well so I was helping him). At 4:30 I got up because if I fell asleep I think it would be worse with that late hour of sleep than just getting up. My alarm goes off at 5:30,.

So when is the point of no return for you if you were to wake up early morning?

Old 09-09-2021, 07:05 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I feel your pain. If I wake up anytime after 4 AM, I usually end up just getting up and starting my day a little early. I like to rise early anyway, but I'd rather do 5 or 5:30. My brain starts churning if I awaken after 4, though, so that's my point of no return. Very rarely, I will fall back to sleep. Today I was up at 4:30. It was all good though--it's my favorite time to scrap.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yup like you my alarm goes off at 5:30am and I've always had the issue that if I wake up and go back to sleep too close to alarm time, then i end up feeling more tired.
So I would totally have gotten up at 4:30am if I was awake and have done so before. Hope you get some rest tonight!

Old 09-09-2021, 07:14 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm an insomniac and haven't been able to sleep longer than 2 hour stretches. BUT I know the value of laying in bed quietly without moving as it recharges my body and allows it to get the rest that it needs. So for me, what's the point of no return - when my alarm goes off. If I get up any earlier than that, regardless of how long I've been awake prior, I'm only hurting myself because my body needs that time to just lay still and in the quiet so that I'm not dragging that day.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:17 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
I feel your pain. If I wake up anytime after 4 AM, I usually end up just getting up and starting my day a little early. I like to rise early anyway, but I'd rather do 5 or 5:30. My brain starts churning if I awaken after 4, though, so that's my point of no return. Very rarely, I will fall back to sleep. Today I was up at 4:30. It was all good though--it's my favorite time to scrap.
My mind has been racing since I woke up - darn mind!! I'm never one to lay in bed and sleep in, once I'm awake, I'm awkae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
So I would totally have gotten up at 4:30am if I was awake and have done so before. Hope you get some rest tonight!
Thanks! Hopefully work won't be too bad. Worried hubby is sick - he has a positive case of covid at his work so the fever he seems to have is worrying me (he says he wasn't anywhere near the girl that tested positive but of course your mind goes there right now during these times!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I'm an insomniac and haven't been able to sleep longer than 2 hour stretches. BUT I know the value of laying in bed quietly without moving as it recharges my body and allows it to get the rest that it needs. So for me, what's the point of no return - when my alarm goes off. If I get up any earlier than that, regardless of how long I've been awake prior, I'm only hurting myself because my body needs that time to just lay still and in the quiet so that I'm not dragging that day.
I can't imagine only 2 hour stretches of sleep .... I really like my sleep lol As a one-off I don't mind getting up but I couldn't do it every night.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Unless I am in pain or wake up with a headache I try to stay in bed... even if I'm awake and just laying there with my eyes closed. I know how tiring my days get so it almost becomes a 'morning meditation' routine to relax my body.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Never! LOL I love my sleep...My alarm goes off at 645 during the week and only bc I have to take the kids to school, 730 on Sundays and if no obligations I don't' get up on Saturday till I just have too...usually 9 or 10. If I wake up before my alarm I try to go back to sleep...now this morning hubby woke me up leaving for work so I laid there and looked at my phone for a few minutes.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjscraps View Post
I can't imagine only 2 hour stretches of sleep .... I really like my sleep lol As a one-off I don't mind getting up but I couldn't do it every night.
I generally try to go to bed around 11 where I lay there until maybe 2am? Maybe I fall asleep, maybe I don't. More often than not I'm laying in bed not sleeping. I've tried every sleeping drug known to man, but nothing works. I'm beginning to think it's genetic because my father and my sister are the exact same way. I hate my insomnia and it's only gotten worse throughout the years.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Once I’m awake…. I’m awake. I’m somebody who has always functioned better on 4-5 hours of sleep. Hubby needs 8-9 and I drive him batty. I go to bed late (midnightish) and you by 5:30. If I wake up before, then I’m up…. Probably crafting!
Old 09-09-2021, 10:39 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Once I'm awake I get up, but I'm usually able to sleep until 6:30 when my alarm goes off. Sometimes I'm up earlier though. I think my point of no return is probably after 5 or so... but if I'm awake more than a few minutes then I just get up, no matter what time. I'm lucky in that I'm a solid sleeper, so my 5 or so hours a night is still refreshing.

I'm a night owl too, so not going to bed until after midnight or later most days. It doesn't help that I'm a shift worker... 7-7 night shifts, so my schedule is really all over the place. Thankfully, I sleep really well during the daytime too, or I don't think I'd be able to do those nights anymore.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm like Wendy, I don't get long stretches of sleep without waking up. I stay in bed though until after 6. I go to bed around 10-10:30 and watch tv for 30-40 minutes until I fall asleep. I wake up every couple of hours, if I'm lucky, I might go 3 hrs before waking up but generally can go back to sleep within 10 minutes or so. But if I don't I put the tv on really low so I can barely hear the volume but have the captioning on if I want to watch. This lulls me back to sleep.

The worst are the nights when I dose off, then open an eye, look at the clock and only 20-30 minutes has gone by and then this repeats throughout the night.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I generally try to go to bed around 11 where I lay there until maybe 2am? Maybe I fall asleep, maybe I don't. More often than not I'm laying in bed not sleeping. I've tried every sleeping drug known to man, but nothing works. I'm beginning to think it's genetic because my father and my sister are the exact same way. I hate my insomnia and it's only gotten worse throughout the years.
My DH is the same way. Always has been since. It drives me crazy because I know he needs rest.

Old 09-09-2021, 01:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Honestly it depends. If I wake up at 4 I'll wait maybe 20 minutes and if I'm not back to sleep I'll just wake up. My alarm goes off at 5.30 most days and then I go walking for 3 miles. I used to just get up and go but now that it's dark out so early I'd rather just lay in bed.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm a night owl (rarely in bed before midnight) & NOT a morning person- however, I do get up early for work (6:15) on Tues/Thurs. If it were up to me I'd sleep in until 9ish on my off days, but now that kids are back to school I'm usually up around 7:30. If I wake up earlier (rare!) I can pretty easily go back to sleep since I'm always so tired from staying up too late! Sometimes I'll wake up before my alarm, but I almost always either go back to sleep or just lay there until the alarm goes off!
Old 09-09-2021, 02:51 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

It takes me forever to fall asleep, with or without meds, so it really depends on what I feel like when I wake up. If it is early and I feel alert then I will get up. It I feel like I am groggy and can't focus then I will stay in bed (and either just lay there and rest, or fall back to sleep)

Old 09-09-2021, 02:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
Never! LOL I love my sleep...My alarm goes off at 645 during the week and only bc I have to take the kids to school, 730 on Sundays and if no obligations I don't' get up on Saturday till I just have too...usually 9 or 10. If I wake up before my alarm I try to go back to sleep...now this morning hubby woke me up leaving for work so I laid there and looked at my phone for a few minutes.
This is so me. 100%.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
I'm a night owl (rarely in bed before midnight) & NOT a morning person...If I wake up earlier (rare!) I can pretty easily go back to sleep since I'm always so tired from staying up too late!
This is me, too. I'm a night owl and struggle to make myself go to bed by 1. On school days my alarm goes off at 5:50. Luckily I've always been a person who doesn't need much sleep, but ideally I'd be getting 6 hours a night instead of 5. I can almost always fall back to sleep that early. If I can get 10 minutes or more, I just go back to sleep.

Last edited by rach3975; 09-09-2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

And I am up at 430am today! UGH! I could be sleeping BUT my back is killing me from sleeping all day yesterday and going to be at 7pm last night. Migraine days are tough on the body for me. I slept from about 11am to 3pm when I had to pick up my youngest for gymnastics then soccer...thankfully hubby went to soccer for me and my oldest and his girlfriend fixed dinner so when hubby got home from soccer I went back to bed for the night. I couldn't leave the two teenage love birds unsupervised! LOL
Old 09-10-2021, 11:14 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
I'm a night owl (rarely in bed before midnight) & NOT a morning person- however, I do get up early for work (6:15) on Tues/Thurs. If it were up to me I'd sleep in until 9ish on my off days, but now that kids are back to school I'm usually up around 7:30. If I wake up earlier (rare!) I can pretty easily go back to sleep since I'm always so tired from staying up too late! Sometimes I'll wake up before my alarm, but I almost always either go back to sleep or just lay there until the alarm goes off!
This is me, but I get up at 5:30 Monday through Friday. On the weekends, I sleep 6 hours and then wake up raring to go no matter the time. I can't seem to sleep more than 6 hours at a go.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love sleep! I need at least 8 hours (more is better). I am not a morning person or a night owl. If I stay up too late at night, I get giddy.

During the summer, I would get up with the girls at 4:15am for them to get ready for work, as soon as they were safely at work, I would go back to bed!

Now that school has started, I get up with them at 5:25am and depending on if I am still feeling sleepy or dose off scrolling on Facebook (oops, did I just accidentally like or click something?!!!) I will go back to bed once they are safely at school.

My husband changed shifts at work, so he gets up around 2am for work, he wakes me up so I can lock the door behind him. I can usually go back to sleep fairly easily, but this morning I was struggling (when I have a lot on my mind it keeps me awake, so I turn it into prayer time instead of laying there awake doing nothing). By 4:30am this morning, I still couldn't fall back to sleep. So I got up to use the bathroom, and ended up cleaning the sink (it's been backing up). Tried to go back to bed, and by 5am decided to just get up! Once they were at school, I went back to bed though! Ever since I had mono in college, I need about 8-10 hours of sleep a night.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tried to stay in bed even if it is just to rest and not to sleep.

Old 09-10-2021, 04:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
This is me, but I get up at 5:30 Monday through Friday. On the weekends, I sleep 6 hours and then wake up raring to go no matter the time. I can't seem to sleep more than 6 hours at a go.
I wouldn't mind it if my body only needed 6-7 hours of sleep but no matter how much I get, I never wake up raring to go!
Old 09-10-2021, 05:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

So I'm a bit of a night owl and a morning person.... it's hard.

I usually stay in bed till the alarm goes off...
I enjoy the peace and quiet after all have gone to bed so I can binge some tv and scrap. BUT I am up Mon-Thur at 4:30 so I can walk a few miles before having to shower, get everyone out the door, and be ready for the littles to start arriving by 7. I have been trying to be better about my sleep and going to bed a little earlier...like 11 ish...... but not always. On Fridays I let myself sleep till 5:30, and then walk after everyone is out the door since I don't work on Fridays (best decision I ever made to work a 4 day week!!)

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 09-10-2021, 06:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm up by 5:30 through the week, so 4:00 or later and I'm up for the day.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not consistent. I'm definitely capable of falling back asleep. Sometimes it takes me an hour. Usually I'll read and it makes me drowsy again, unless my mind is racing (like this morning, where I just resigned myself to start working).

I'm a night-owl, so I loathe getting out of bed before 6am.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

5:00 am on a work day as I wake up at 6.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a point of no return. If I wake up in the middle of the night I will lay in bed until my alarm goes off whether I've fallen back asleep or not. I usually do fall back asleep. If I wake up in the middle of the night, besides getting a drink or using the restroom, I don't move. I don't look at a device, read, watch TV, or get up at all. I feel like my body needs the rest, even if my brain does not.

My husband, on the other hand, if he wakes up, he's UP. Last night I woke up at 2:30 and got a drink. He heard me, woke up, and stayed up. A few times he would go to sleep at 9 and wake up at 1:30 and get up and go into work by 3, a full 4 hours earlier than necessary. He just can't fall back asleep.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:21 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I woke up at 4am last night and all I could think about was this thread. Do I get up? Do I try to sleep? In the end I stayed in bed because I knew I needed the sleep... (post night shift with only a few hours sleep from that morning.) I think it took an hour or so but I did fall back asleep. It was painful though... I wanted to get up! LOL