Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question Does anyone do their own acrylic nails?

I used to get mine done all the time and I really miss it but I just can't justify the cost and time that they take for upkeep. I happened to see a DIY kit at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago and picked it up to give it a try. They actually turned out nicely and I'd like to keep doing them at home.

I'm having a problem with lifting though so I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions on techniques or products that they use that might be longer-lasting. I assume beauty-supply-type stores carry different brands - any suggestions on what is best?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I use to, like 12 years ago. I went to Sally Beauty Supply and picked up all the supplies. Since my technique wasn't that awesome, I got a nice nail sander to smooth everything down. That helped get great results. And I recommend getting an antifungal liquid to be sure you don't get nasties under the acrylic... especially if you have lifting problems because yucky stuff can get trapped between the nail and acrylic and it will grow mold. shudder.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My aunt is a licensed manicurist (doesn't do them for income anymore because she's got a FT job with the USPS). She uses a primer called Bond-Aid prior to putting anything on the nail (after roughing them up a little with a file).
Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

My aunt too is a licensed manicurist! She doesn't do it for income anymore either because of another job. lol How weird.

Definitely go with the Bond-Aid...and rough up the nail a bit before applying the acrylic.

Go to Sally's. They have all the acrylic, tips, glue, files, everything. Get a file block that has different grits on each side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apphotos View Post
My aunt is a licensed manicurist (doesn't do them for income anymore because she's got a FT job with the USPS). She uses a primer called Bond-Aid prior to putting anything on the nail (after roughing them up a little with a file).
Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Bond-Aid! I knew there was something like that! I'll add that to my shopping list! Thanks girls!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ooh, I so want to do this! When I got married, I had fiberglass nails and learned how to do them myself, but stopped when I started having kids. A few years ago I started up again with acrylics and last summer had to take them off due to the expense and time.

So do you all do the tips each time? Or are you doing the formed nails? I liked the formed nails so much better, but those have to be so hard to do on yourself. My own nails are so bad. My thumbnails are so short, I can't text without typos! LOL

Heather - what all do you buy to do them?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherKS View Post
Bond-Aid! I knew there was something like that! I'll add that to my shopping list! Thanks girls!
bond aid is made by OPI. and therefore, won't be found at sally beauty. because OPI is professional only. just fyi.

i'm a licensed nail tech, but i'm allergic to acrylic. however, i can tell you that practice makes perfect. look on youtube, there are plenty of tutorials. i had to practice on myself when i was in school. and to make your technique better, just practice.

also, don't thin out your natural nail too much. you just need to buff off the shine, you don't need to take an entire layer off. (: