Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Angry Has anyone . . . ACDSee question!

I'm about to pull my hair out!!! I got a new laptop and need to transfer my ACDSee database over to it. My old laptop is Vista, my new-to-me laptop is XP. I keep all of my scrapping supplies on my external.

I checked the digiscrapinfo site and I've tried the instructions for sharing a database between two computers, I've tried backing up the database and restoring it on the new computer, I've tried exporting and importing the database - NOTHING has worked!

I'm so frustrated and I refuse to give up and re-tag all of my stuff. I don't have that kind of time and I've done it once when ACDSee crashed on me a year or so ago. My stash has grown exponentially since then and I just don't have it in me to do it again.

Suggestions? Help? Anything!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry Heather, I know it can be done, but I don't know how (thank goodness for a geeky DH to keep me running!)

Sorry you are having problems!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, frustrating! I'm sorry!!

I'd try and contact heidi at digiscrapinfo.. she walked me through it (years ago) and it worked great!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I tried this about 18 months ago but the other way around (from XP to Vista) and I never figured it out. But I do remember a thread here some months later I think asking the same question. Try searching for it. I hope you figure it out Heather!!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went through this and figured it out. Right now I'm packing for a journey to Slovakia though. If you can wait until I return, or if I remember it when I'm in Slovakia, I'll PM you how it's done. Don't panick, it will work! I transferred mine from XP to Windows7 (it was the same laptop, but the drive was changed and I also switched the OS after the change) and before I figured it out I was right where you are.

ETA: I'll be back on Tuesday, it's not a long vacation. Anyway, maybe I will write to you before that. No worries, you won't have to re-tag anything. Simple export/import won't do it, as ACDSee still ties it to the old drive. You need to re-define the drive, and it's not that difficult, but with travelling fever I don't have a clear mind.

Last edited by adrianka; 02-02-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

heather - did you get sorted yet? if not, which version of ACDSee are you running?

Old 02-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nettie, no, I've been involved in other projects today so I haven't even tried. I'm using ACDSee Photo Manager 12.

Thanks Adrianka, I'm going to keep working on it but you can bet I'll be hitting you up when you're back from vacation if I haven't made any progress.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:41 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Heather - with ACDSee PM12 - I think they want you to embed first on the old computer. This step takes A While. Which likely you've already done?

If not, I'd try embedding first - then re-install ACDSee 12 on the new computer, and then Tools | Database and Catalog Files . It will ask to you find where your images (the actual digi stuff and pictures) are stored.

If there is still an error, I guess I'd then try to grab the orphan files? Tools | Database | Database Maintenance. Then you change the binding to map to where the images are stored on the new computer. Here's the link to the ACDSee support directions...

Note the actual ACDSee 12 database is stored differently between the two op systems, and I think this is what Adrianka is referring to:

On Vista and W7 it could look like this:
"C:\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Local\ACD Systems\Catalogs\120\Default"

On XP it could look like this:
"C:\Documents and Settings\[yourusername]\Local settings\Application Data\ACD Systems\Catalogs\110\Default"

and the break may simply be in the binding between where your images are and where they were previously mapped. No way should you have to re-tag everything!

Hope that helps and doesn't just frustrate you further. You can do this Heather!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My husband made mine all work so I don't know but... he did say make sure my EHD still had the same letter on the new computer. Like before it was S: and my new computer wanted to name it N: so I had to change it to S:

Beyond that, I'm clueless.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Nettie! That definitely gives me a place to start. I'll try it this afternoon when I get home. I haven't tried embedding so I'll start there.

Angie, I did try renaming the drive on my new computer but that made everything quit working - like it wouldn't even open ACDSee because of an error. After that I was so mad that I just shut the laptop and haven't turned it on since.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NettieB View Post
Heather - with ACDSee PM12 - I think they want you to embed first on the old computer. This step takes A While. Which likely you've already done?

If not, I'd try embedding first - then re-install ACDSee 12 on the new computer, and then Tools | Database and Catalog Files . It will ask to you find where your images (the actual digi stuff and pictures) are stored.

If there is still an error, I guess I'd then try to grab the orphan files? Tools | Database | Database Maintenance. Then you change the binding to map to where the images are stored on the new computer. Here's the link to the ACDSee support directions...

Note the actual ACDSee 12 database is stored differently between the two op systems, and I think this is what Adrianka is referring to:

On Vista and W7 it could look like this:
"C:\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Local\ACD Systems\Catalogs\120\Default"

On XP it could look like this:
"C:\Documents and Settings\[yourusername]\Local settings\Application Data\ACD Systems\Catalogs\110\Default"

and the break may simply be in the binding between where your images are and where they were previously mapped. No way should you have to re-tag everything!

Hope that helps and doesn't just frustrate you further. You can do this Heather!
Hello from Slovakia. :-)

This is exactly what I did, and I think I used the same tutorial from the official ACDSee site. If I can find the time, I'll try to link the ACDSee database in my computer here with my EHD. I wanted to do it anyway for ages, so maybe after refreshing I'll be very, very wise (haha), but what Nettie said is basically what I remember to have done (the Maintenance + Change Binding).

Old 02-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's done! It took longer than I thought it would because when I did the cataloging I had to do it in increments of about 25 kits or it would crash ACDSee. Ugh. But now it's all done and I can scrap again! LOL Thanks for your help ladies!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Glad to hear that, Heather. :-)

Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yay Heather! Glad you are fully installed and rocking!