Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question Zoom lens recommendations?

I am looking to buy a new zoom lens in the next couple of weeks. I've currently got my 50mm 1.8 and my 30mm 1.4 that I use 95% of the time. I also have the 75-300 zoom that I hate and use only when necessary. It seems like no matter what I do, the pictures don't come out as sharp as I'd like with it - indoors or outdoors.

I realized on vacation that although I am definitely a prime gal for my normal daily use, I need a zoom for specific occasions. Vacation, sports, school programs, etc. Can anyone recommend something that will fit the bill? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but I'm willing to let go of an arm.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL you ask the impossible question! I think every mom wants this. But here are some considerations. Oh and Canon or Nikon is the first question.

the best and the most expensive:
70-200mm f2.8 (either canon or nikon) this is the only one that will handle low light of indoor activities and still be sharp, sorry just is the way it is. And it is freaking huge/heavy. Sometimes you can buy used and save a little money.

if you don't need that much zoom (reach), there is the ever popular 28-70mm 2.8. again good for indoor stuff but you won't have a lot of reach of a full zoom.

Since you are a prime gal maybe you would just rather get the 105 2.8. It is technically a macro but I've known people to use as a "zoom". Or the 85mm for that matter.

The rest are variable aperture. This makes it nearly impossible to take photos inside and get sharp images in general. Can be used outside in full light. If you were looking for a just walk around lens, a few photogs I know use the 18-200 VRII lens. They do say it still isn't the same as their primes. But it is their one lens vacation solution.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I bought a 18-200mm lens recently and he didn't come off ever since. I love it!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL Oops, sorry. Canon please.

And does it help if I say that I'm more interested in the zoom for outdoor photos than indoor? I have been fine with using my current lenses for indoor activities - even concerts and sports photos.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

How are the tamron and sigma brands of lens compare to Canon/Nikon? Is it a you get what you pay for thing - or name brand=higher prices?

I'm looking for a zoom, too....
Old 08-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have a Sigma 18-200mm and I like it very much. For outdoors it perfect, even on 200mm zoom. And indoors I am using an external flash which I can put off the topic. As I said...it didn't come off anymore!

And the pricedifference is high enough to make me chose this one. The sales person said the Canon lens wasn't that much better....
Old 08-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I have the Tamron 28-75 and I adore it.
Tamron and Sigma are still really good lenses. And if you're not a pro, not gonna go pro, I don't think it's necessary to spend the money for the crazy expensive Canon/Nikon version. Just my opinion.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
I have the Tamron 28-75 and I adore it.
Tamron and Sigma are still really good lenses. And if you're not a pro, not gonna go pro, I don't think it's necessary to spend the money for the crazy expensive Canon/Nikon version. Just my opinion.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherKS View Post
LOL Oops, sorry. Canon please.

And does it help if I say that I'm more interested in the zoom for outdoor photos than indoor? I have been fine with using my current lenses for indoor activities - even concerts and sports photos.
Oh ok you had mentioned the indoor thing so I wanted to cover that base before you spent money!

You know what, Yes for most the Tamron/Sigma is fine. Just buy from a good place that you can return to if you aren't happy with (usually you get 30 days). I think B&H PhotoVideo and Amazon have these policies, read before buying! So I say try out the Tamron one (my first was a Tamron) with the vibration reduction and see how you like it. They come in Canon versions. I'd say rent it first but I don't think most places rent Tamron.

I took my Tamron to Disney with us and it did OK. I just am so used to my "professional" lenses that I could get aggravated with the variable aperture, but it was nice to travel light!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would probably go with a fixed aperture zoom, the Tamron's are actually really good quality and cheaper than the Canon versions. I had the 28-75 2.8 and sold it to upgrade to the 50 1.4 and even though I'm a total prime girl there have been some situations where I wish I still had the zoom lens! Someday if I'm lucky maybe I'll be able to afford the Canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200 2.8L lenses though....

Tamron 28-75 2.8
Tamron 17-50 2.8
or if you want a bigger zoom -
Tamron 70-200 2.8

Also there's a photographer in the Wichita Photographer's group that is selling a Canon 24-105 f4L IS for $900 which is probably equal to an arm
Old 08-13-2011, 05:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wow, thanks for the great tips. I am always wondering which one should I get which one and now I think I know which one. I THINK

Old 08-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnel View Post
Wow, thanks for the great tips. I am always wondering which one should I get which one and now I think I know which one. I THINK
Well if you know, please tell me, because I'm more confused than ever. LOL
Old 08-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

In general the rule is: The bigger the range you want to cover with one lens, the more compromises you have to make on quality.

So first question would be: Are you searching for a lens, that you bring for travels and leave your prime lenses at home? Or are you just looking for something to zoom in on farer objects, but will have your primes ready for the normal shots anyway?

I have the Sigma 18-250 mm image stabilised zoom lens for Canon. It's an ok compromise for me. I often bring it, when I'm dragging the camera along to events and day trips with other people. When me stopping and taking pictures is ok for them, but me stopping, changing lens, taking pictures would be a bit much. My personal impression is, that the lens is better at wide angle to mild zoom, but for good shots with full zoom I need to really concentrate. Also, the aperture...yeah...what you'd expect for this range and price. Max. 3.5 but only for maximum wide angle. Mostly I shoot at 5.6. This lens costs 500 Euro here, so probably about 500$ in the USA.

You can go cheaper, but only if you ditch the image stabilisation. For me that was not an option with a zoom and aperture of 5.6 shooting.

If you lower the zoom range though, you have a lot more options. Me for example, I cannot live without wide angle, but I know a lot of people don't use it as much. Also, if your arm is more expensive than that, you will get into the f2.8 zoom lens class. Which is on my wishlist for next year after I upgraded my camera body.

One last thing: Just ask yourself, if you can really live with the quality loss compared to your prime lenses. Or will you hate every photo and never use the zoom lens? Because if you'd go mental when shots don't come out as clear and sharp, as you're used to, I guess you better wait, save more and buy the top class zooms.

Last edited by Ginger_79; 08-14-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_79 View Post
In general the rule is: The bigger the range you want to cover with one lens, the more compromises you have to make on quality.

So first question would be: Are you searching for a lens, that you bring for travels and leave your prime lenses at home? Or are you just looking for something to zoom in on farer objects, but will have your primes ready for the normal shots anyway?

I have the Sigma 18-250 mm image stabilised zoom lens for Canon. It's an ok compromise for me. I often bring it, when I'm dragging the camera along to events and day trips with other people. When me stopping and taking pictures is ok for them, but me stopping, changing lens, taking pictures would be a bit much. My personal impression is, that the lens is better at wide angle to mild zoom, but for good shots with full zoom I need to really concentrate. Also, the aperture...yeah...what you'd expect for this range and price. Max. 3.5 but only for maximum wide angle. Mostly I shoot at 5.6. This lens costs 500 Euro here, so probably about 500$ in the USA.

You can go cheaper, but only if you ditch the image stabilisation. For me that was not an option with a zoom and aperture of 5.6 shooting.

If you lower the zoom range though, you have a lot more options. Me for example, I cannot live without wide angle, but I know a lot of people don't use it as much. Also, if your arm is more expensive than that, you will get into the f2.8 zoom lens class. Which is on my wishlist for next year after I upgraded my camera body.

One last thing: Just ask yourself, if you can really live with the quality loss compared to your prime lenses. Or will you hate every photo and never use the zoom lens? Because if you'd go mental when shots don't come out as clear and sharp, as you're used to, I guess you better wait, save more and buy the top class zooms.
You said it so more eloquently than I did! Thanks! I 100% agree!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:01 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I'm in nooo way an expert, but did want to talk about the Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8. Col mentioned it earlier. I also have it. I'm happy with it because it covers a lot of my zooming needs. It's the lens that stays on my camera always. The only problem I have with it is that sometimes it isn't enough of a zoom. My oldest use to play high school football and you really have to sit back aways from the field in the bleachers (strangely the coaches don't want parents wandering the sidelines... LOL). That lens just didn't reach enough for me to catch the action as much as I wanted to. But, my youngest plays soccer and the parents are right on the sidelines and this lens is great for that. In general I find I'm pretty happy with the lens for most things, going to the zoo, playing in the backyard, etc, it's just I wish for a bit of a longer zoom at times but not enough to fork out money for another lens.

Put your zoom on your camera and figure out how much zoom you truly need. Go outdoors and zoom in and out, checking out the difference between the zoom distances. For instance, if you put on your 75-300 zoom and think the 75 isn't zoomed enough, then don't even consider the Tamron AF 28-75mm, because it maxes out at 75 where yours starts there.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
Put your zoom on your camera and figure out how much zoom you truly need. Go outdoors and zoom in and out, checking out the difference between the zoom distances. For instance, if you put on your 75-300 zoom and think the 75 isn't zoomed enough, then don't even consider the Tamron AF 28-75mm, because it maxes out at 75 where yours starts there.
That is great advice! Now why didn't I think of that?