Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default hunger games movie - what did you think?

well?? did you go? what did you think?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I saw it last night and loved it. I thought it stayed pretty much with the book and definately left it open to do the sequel.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Should I add some spoiler space here? LOL

I agree--I loved it and was so impressed with the cast The effects were amazing, though I did feel the whole flaming district costume could've been more dramatic. I was really picturing in my head that even their hair would appear to be on fire!

I think the only minor complaint I have had more to do with the camera work--it was a LOT of seemingly handheld camera movements. I understand its significance since there's a lot of shifting back and forth from 3rd person POV to 1st person POV, and it adds depth to the story, but it got a leeeeeeeeettle too much for me and I just wanted it to stop bouncing up and down, lol.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mye

Ack I'm lost! I haven't gone out of the house the whole week since i was sick but I am sure to watch this one.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshobbes View Post
I think the only minor complaint I have had more to do with the camera work--it was a LOT of seemingly handheld camera movements. I understand its significance since there's a lot of shifting back and forth from 3rd person POV to 1st person POV, and it adds depth to the story, but it got a leeeeeeeeettle too much for me and I just wanted it to stop bouncing up and down, lol.
THIS! I was really getting fed up with the camera work. Not only the bounciness of the camera, but the shallow depth of field and lack of focus. It was really overused and honestly ruined the movie for me a bit. I was dying to see people's faces more, to see the environment more clearly. I think they missed out on a lot of possibilities by choosing to film the way they did. However, because of the way it was filmed many details were lost (i.e. you didn't actually see people getting killed as clearly... maybe this was what kept the rating at PG-13).

Also, I was a little disappointed with the actress who played Katniss. She was kind of soft to me... not as hardened and angry as her character seemed in the books. She seemed too... soft. But she sure was gorgeous!

My favorite character in the movie was Haymitch! The rest of them just didn't reach their full potential.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
However, because of the way it was filmed many details were lost (i.e. you didn't actually see people getting killed as clearly... maybe this was what kept the rating at PG-13).
I actually liked this about the whole movie. The camera work kept it so that you knew WHAT was happening, but you didn't have to explicitly see it. It is in theory a young adult book, so I can see why they would want to keep it in the PG 13 range.

While the shaking made me a bit crazy from time to time, I do feel like it added to the "harried" nature of the situation, kwim?

Old 03-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

come discuss on the blog with me!!
https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/i...in-your-favor/

i LOVED it. i too agree that the shaky camera work just added to the effect of it all. i LOVED the grittiness of it all

Old 03-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

I blogged a ridiculously long stream of consciousness blog about it LOL. C&P my thoughts, sorry they are so disorganized

I feel like the movie was expertly done. The cinematography was beautiful. The acting was amazing. The story was pure. I'm so pleased that Suzanne Collins had a writing credit and that her hand helped the movie follow the book closely.

I missed words in the movie. I found it interesting that you didn't hear words like the seam, the hob, or tesserae. I felt like if you hadn't read the book, you may not have fully understood at first the mathematical details behind The Reaping. The contrast between Prim's name only being entered once, and Gale's name being entered 42 times, for instance, and how tesserae factors into that. I missed that there was no explanation of that. I think it is an important point to understand, because we can't comprehend the kind of hunger people in the district experience.

I am curious how they are going to introduce Madge in movies 2 or 3 (if movies occur). With Madge not giving Kat the pin, I wonder how they'll explain Madge's behavior and unlikely friendship in books 2 and 3.

I liked the stark contrast of the lack of color in the clothing from District 12 to the outlandish clothing at The Capitol.

This is a really little point, but Buttercup, the cat, was supposed to be yellow. Buttercup plays a slightly larger part than one scene in the 3rd book, so I wonder if they'll keep the same cat?

I was surprised at the lack of music in the movie. After hearing the soundtrack so much, I couldn't help but notice how little of it was actually in the score.

I felt like the hallucination sequence did a really good job of telling the story of Katniss' father's mine accident, but I don't think the daydreaming sequence did an adequate job of telling the story of Peeta throwing Katniss the bread. When reading the words, you get that he knowingly burned the bread and accepted the violent punishment he'd receive for doing so, weighed that with his desire to help Katniss, and make that romantic and noble choice. It speaks so much of his character, and I felt like that was lost in the daydream sequence. Also, Kat was supposed to be 11 when that happened. She doesn't really look younger, and neither does Peeta.

The Capitol residents have an accent in the books, and I found it odd that they didn't keep that. Effie clearly has one, as does President Snow, but others did not.

I loved Cesar Flickerman. Stanley Tucci did such a good job!

Visuals can be nice, because the "curtsy" that Katniss does for the Gamemakers is priceless!

Haymitch was one of my favorite parts of the movie. Originally I was disappointed that Hugh Laurie wasn't Haymitch, but Woody Harrelson did such a fantastic job with the role.

During the video shown at The Reaping, they speak of the past and show a treaty that would have been signed 74 years prior. It is written in calligraphy and had wax seals as though 74 years prior to present day would have been 1776. Such an odd little detail, but I thought it seemed like an anachronism.

Another one of my favorite moments in the movie was the poetic, creepy justice you see happen with Seneca Crane and the nightlock berries. They don't include that detail in the book, and I found it nice from a storytelling perspective.

In the general sense of things, I think they did a good job keeping the movie as minimally violent as possible. I thought the movie was more violent than the books, for sure. There's something about SEEING a child killing another child that is ridiculously heartbreaking. I think none of it was gratuitous or glorified, though.

Along the same lines, when I read the book, I was sad when Rue died. But seeing her die was worse. I cried. Both times

Seeing Peeta camouflaged was more striking in the movie than anything I could have imagined in the book. It was one of my favorite moments...so clever and fun to see.

They did a really good job of showing the love between Gale and Katniss, with so few words. In all of the cutaways Gale never says one word, but I think even the fact that he isn't watching the games when they commence speaks so much. Instead he's in the woods. Liam Hemsworth does such a good job acting with his eyes.

The camerawork is intentionally shaky in spots. It helps to convey confusion and disorientation in spots, and in other spots it helps you not have to see the goriest parts of such a sad story.

One of the most interesting things about the movie to me is that it is called The Hunger Games. But I saw the hunger part of their lives downplayed. You don't see Peeta and Katniss stuff themselves sick on the train. You don't see that soup was sold in The Hob filled with dog meat. I just don't think you understand what it is like in Distrct 12 unless you understand the desperation and starvation that occur there.

There is a great lack of detail surrounding the mutts at the end of the movie. They were scary and all, but their origin has no story or history. The small puzzle pieces that are missing make me really just feel sorry for the viewers who don't read the book. I think the movie alone tells a good story, I just feel some smaller nuances get missed. Some of this is the nature of film. Telling a story visually is different, and I get that.

I missed the detail with the Avoxes. I'm curious how they'll handle it in the 2nd and 3rd movies, if the movies exist, that is (I really hope they do!)

Hands down, one of the most chilling glimpses into the future, should they make more movies, is the scene with President Snow and Seneca Crane. I love President Snow's talk about the appropriate level of hope and his command of Seneca to contain the spark that Katniss is. The seeds of discontent that ultimately lead to the actions in Panem in books (and maybe movies) 2 and 3 are planted, and planted well, I believe.

I thought Katniss showed more emotion in her face during The Reaping than the books says she showed. That being said, Jennifer Lawrence did an AMAZING job being emotive with her face! ONE look. One expression on her face, while she was facing Prim and her mother said from behind that she had put a dress out for Katniss on Reaping Day. That one look encompassed so much. The role reversal due to her mother's depression, her understandable distrust of her mother, her strong connection as a mother figure for Prim. Jennifer Lawrence did this in more than one scene. She had this particularly horrified look on her face during The Reaping and when arriving at the cornucopia. It spoke volumes. The scene between Cinna and Katniss before going into the arena, with her visible shaking, is award worthy and I hope she is recognized for her hard work.

Last edited by LenaGardner; 03-25-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Hey Lena- I just watched Jennifer Lawrence's interview on David Letterman (on Pinterest) and she mentioned that there would be more movies.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

What a GREAT post, Lena! I only JUST read the book yesterday (late to the party, huh?), so now I'm super anxious to see the movie. Your post makes me even more anxious!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

wow lena that was some write up. i was disappointed that the characters weren't developed more. i felt that the part in the seam should have been more fully developed. i also felt like it was long - like it moved along slower than the pace of the book. if that makes sense. i will go to the second movie, but i'm not as excited about it.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Celeste* View Post
wow lena that was some write up. i was disappointed that the characters weren't developed more. i felt that the part in the seam should have been more fully developed. i also felt like it was long - like it moved along slower than the pace of the book. if that makes sense. i will go to the second movie, but i'm not as excited about it.
It felt slow to me too... so much wasted time when they could have been developing the characters and adding in more details from the book.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

Kristin--yay! I saw this just now, too!

Thanks, girls!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Just got home after a weekend away ending with seeing Hunger Games. I'm horrible on films from favorite movies - VERY nitpicky and VERY hard on them - and I * LOVED* it. Sure, there were things I wish had been made more - but it was already almost 2.5 hrs long. I wish the ending hadn't been so soft, but it was setting up for #2.

I'm glad they added Buttercup, even if they cast her wrong, it was such a sweet touch. . I think leaving Madge out was okay - it helped create more of a bond between Kat and Prim in this movie for moviegoers who didn't read the book - Madge can easily be written in later. I'm glad Snow was more prominent and setting him up for the evil, evil man that he. I missed Haymitch's original introduction to the story line, but still thought Woody did an AWESOME job.

I kept thinking people in the Capital would've had better teeth and to see the old woman who showed up a couple of times to be distracting because I envisioned them all so fixed up with plastic surgery that no one would look old and wrinkly.

I hurt more for the deaths because they were more intense and visual. The curly hair boy in the Cornucopia who died broke my heart....I got all teary eyed for the fifth time. Watching how easily Cato killed the boy who was watching over the stash....shocked me. I think not giving backstory on the mutts was actually for the non-book readers because while it made it more shocking for the characters, it didn't move the story forward - it was just another evil kink thrown into the mix by the game people.

For the first time, that bowl of berries made me feel sorry for a Capital character. He seemed to be wanting to move the games more towards the participants, but was left to kill himself by Snow because Snow is the epitome of evil. The whole process is evil and vile, but Snow is feeding off the vileness..and making it all worse. (Can you tell I really hate Snow?)

I wish more of the time between Gail & Kat had been shown, but I get why they had to remove so much of the history in an already really long movie. I loved the opening sequence of Kat hunting, though. I did miss the internal conflicts for Kat about Peeta. I was okay with the Avoxes not being talked about because, again, not integral to the story and they had to cut some stuff out. But I actually did like how they flashbacks to the bakery told more and more each time, and you watched Kat react more strongly to the memory each time.

While Jennifer Lawrence doesn't look like she can act - man - and she has more than one emotion!!! Watching her with Cinna (and *sigh* I have a bigger crush on Lennie Kravitz now)...just before she goes up in the tube, shaking in utter fright. It was SO good. And yeah - seeing her react to her Mom. brilliant.

So much of the movie was just like what was in my head (except Peeta). I absolutely loved it. Sure, there are things I wish could be different for me, and I'm so glad that I'd read the book before seeing it, but I still loved it. On FB I said, for the second time in recent history, the movie was as good as the book (but a little different). The Help was the other one.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

.....and oh, the irony of complaining about The Capital while paying to watch a movie on the same thing LOL that just hit me hard a few moments ago. Then Russ fixed it - you were there in support of the story against The Capital - you weren't taking a perverse enjoyment nor purposefully pushing aside responsibility in it. Phew - love that boy LOL
Old 03-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I loved the movie and loved what you said Lena! I missed some of the things you mentioned but understand for a film you have to leave some things out. I read the book so I feel like I had it all but yet one of my daughters who hadn't loved the book and didn't seem to feel she missed anything. Since she was young - I was ok that she didn't know about the mutts. I loved Woody Harrelson as Haymitch - he was perfect although I wanted them to push his hair back sometimes so I could see his face lol! My only disappointment was Peeta - this was not the image I had in my head when I read the book. I loved the moment with Rue - I cried when I read it in the book and cried again when I saw it in the movie. I could have done without the shaky camera scenes only because it made me a bit nauseous! Would I recommend it to anyone - oh yeah! It was a great movie and stayed pretty true to the book.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just got home from the theater and I really loved it. I think that they did as good a job as is possible in making the book come to life. I may even go see it again!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Victoria Feemster Send a message via Yahoo to Victoria Feemster

I just saw it this evening and while I thought it was good, I didn't think it was great. I felt like there should have been more arena and better camera views. The shakiness gave me a headache. I mean I understand why it was done but it was a bit overboard I thought.

I did read that this was set to be 4 movies overall. I hope they get better because I really want to LOVE them like I do the books.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I really loved Lenny Kravitz as Cinna, although it took me a minute to recognize him without the hair. I thought he did a great job.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with all of Lena's thoughts.

I would add...

I also really wish they would have had more time in the arena. I wish they would have shown Katniss' utter desperation for water in the beginning. It moved a little too quickly for me, but then showed her sleeping in trees a lot.

I also really wish they would have developed her relationship with Rue more. I felt like they hadn't had enough time together yet, in the movie, to warrant Katniss' drawn-out grief. Yes, I know she was also grieving someone who was kind of in place of her sister, but I still felt like the relationship hadn't been given enough time.

I liked the addition of the berries to Seneca's ending. Thought it was an interesting touch in the movie not found in the book.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria Feemster View Post

I did read that this was set to be 4 movies overall. I hope they get better because I really want to LOVE them like I do the books.
saw on Entertainment Tonight they are breaking the last book into 2 movies like they did with Twilight

Movie 2 starts filming in September Bigger budget too so I'm sure we'll see bigger and better graphics and production!

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I watched the movie before I read the book but I loved it still!

I just feel that:
1. The Katniss-Peeta love team was confusing - I didnt know if it was real or reel (acting just for the arena) and more specifically, if Peeta was just doing a role or really in love with Katniss, whereas in the book it was specific and spot on.
2. The Mockingjay pin is a symbol of the whole trilogy so Im curious how they would be able to play its importance in the next 2 movies.

The costumes were so nice though! As someone who didnt read the book before the movie, my heart wrenched at the thought of having KIDS kill each other for the entertainment of the capitol and found their citizens CREEPY - very very very effective!

I loved the movie so much that I finished the three books over the weekend - that hooked! So maybe the movie was really good!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I wish the characters were developed more as well! Liked that it moved fast, but she doesn't seem to have any feelings for Peeta or Cato in the movie!

I wanted to "design" mockingjay stuff (ie, pins, necklaces, t-shirts, etc)- I emailed the trademark attorneys & they said they only allow distribution with their own marketing firm
I would wear one!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I loved it! I usually am disappointed in movies from books (hated the Twilight movies and only saw the first two) but I thought they did an excellent job with this one. I think the actors were great choices. I loved Cinna, but in my mind I had him more made up than he was. I hated that we didn't get to know Octavia and Flavius better as they have bigger roles in the other books. I wonder how they'll work that. I pretty much understand why they changed the things they changed and left out what they did to translate the story to the big screen. I can't wait to see the next one now!