Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Knee Injuries?

I hurt my knee skiing 3.5 weeks ago and its still sore.. i went to the dr originally after it happened (not my dr but the dr in the town we were at) and he sorta just brushed it aside like he was doing with all his patients, sending them on their way.. lol.

Anyways. I don't know if I should go to the dr and get it checked out again or should I just wait longer and hope it heals? Should I be doing something??

I was exercising last night, have only done it a few times and last night was just painful for my knee.. It is SO frustrating. I hate going to the dr and I hate feeling stupid so that is what has been postponing me from going.. I just don't want to look like an idiot going there and having him tell me to just wait for it to heal..
Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

My dr. told me to stop exercising completely while mine was healing. Rest, give it time to heal without stress, etc. But to me, knee injuries are nothing to sneeze at and you should go get it checked if it's still causing problems after 3 weeks.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:22 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Go see the doctor! The first doc you saw on the scene was likely just evaluating for it's criticalness, broken bones, etc. But you could have a tear within your knee either ligament or cartilage or a number of other things. Sometimes a conservative approach works and things heal up, but a number of injuries don't heal by time alone. If you've been nearly a month like this then it is certainly something to be checked out. Until you see the doc, be sure to do RICE (rest, ice, compress, elevate). An Ace bandage or sports wrap for your knee can work wonders. I've been through this twice, with a dislocated knee cap and a torn meniscus. The doc should order an MRI to see the damage. I hope your knee is feeling better soon!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i told you 2 wks ago to go see the dr

Old 03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

For peace of mind I think you should go to the Doctor and get an evaluation of what your knee is experiencing now, after injuring it 3 weeks or so ago. I've had 4 knee surgerys and for each the Doctor was able to diagnose a problem in the office after putting the knee through several torture moves (lol). One time I was having great difficulty with one of my knees and went to the Doctor, I was sure that I would have to have surgery, but after his exam he could tell that I didn't need surgery at the time. He was right. That knee got better after awhile.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

With exception to the wrapping of the knee, ITA with everything Julie said. Having dislocated both knees numerous times, surgery on each knee once and various and sundry other knee injuries, I've learned it's best to not wrap the knee until you know what's wrong. Some injuries require leaving the kneecap uncompressed, some require it to be compressed (open vs closed bracing). Choose the wrong one, like I've done, and you can make things worse.

So basically, go see your doctor. I agree with the MRI, because it can be difficult to diagnose more than a sprain without one when it comes to knees.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

k.. thanks girls. making an appointment.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

well if you have iced it and then tried heat and it is still hurting after a few weeks I dont think that is being stupid I think it means there is something else wrong.

Put it this way my husband used to do alot of heavy lifting and hard manual labor. His shoulder would bother him off and on but he never got it looked at. Now he is very limited movement in his right arm and he found out he had tendonosis (which is similar to tendonitus but instead of an acute injury which can be pin-pointed it is continuous injuries to the same place...or at least that is how the dr explained it to us), Point is because he ignored the pain and just thought it would go away it just got worse and worse and now he needs to have surgery to try to get it better followed by a few months of physical therapy. So if you can get to the dr and get it looked at even if all they do say is let it rest and it should get better I think it is better safe then sorry KWIM? You dont want to ignore it and reinjure it and make it worse.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Go to the doctor. I cannot stress enough that going is better than not going, even if he does just tell you to rest. You may need an MRI to tell you what's going on. If it still hurts, cease exercise, and at least call the doctor. A nurse may be able to help you decide if it's serious enough for the doctor or not.

Your family practice doctor might call for an MRI to get a better look. If it looks like there may be something wrong, he may refer you to an orthopaedist that specializes in knees.

Or, feel free to PM me with more information (how it feels, where it hurts, when it hurts, how badly it hurts, if ice or heat help, if there's swelling, etc), and I may be able to help you out. Knees are one thing I know very well... after 10 knee surgeries and a lot of misdiagnoses, I've learned a lot about different knee issues and would be happy to help you decide if it's serious enough for a doctor, or not.

Feel better.

Try RICE until you are able to see a doctor-- Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Rest your knee as best as you can, trying to give it time to heal, meaning NO exercise. Put ice on it if it's swollen, and feel free to alternate ice and heat to make it feel better. Compress it- don't be afraid to put an ace wrap on it or another brace to make it better. And Elevate it... lift your leg up, preferably above the heart, to get any swelling that might be there down.

Good luck, and I hope you get better soon!

New Siggy Coming Soon