Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke W
Default So, who'd think that it'd be so different? Mac v. Windows

Please, i'm imploring any of those who use a Mac, for help with Photoshop,lol. I have CS3. There are lots of questions I want to ask but there are a couple I want to pose.
1. How do you merge the shape you've made with a paper and the clipping mask together? I've tried right clicking and get nothing.

2. How do you install actions? Do you make copies of each one and drag it into photoshop to install it that way? I ask that because when I drag something out of a folder onto the desktop it literally takes it out of the folder,lol. NOT what I need; I can see myself misplacing something on the desktop. Not good.

3. Not a question. An observation. It is very disconcerting to have the workspace be totally missing, with just the toolbars on the top and sides showing, with your desktop itself as the backdrop,lol. This machine has OS X on it so I guess it's just part of the joy of PS on a Mac now.

As always, I appreciate the time anyone can give me.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Let's see...

1. Do you mean you want to merge the layers together? I usually just select the two layers in the layer palette and then Ctrl+Click will bring up the right-click menu. There should be an option to merge layers. There's probably a shortcut for it too but it isn't something I do very often so I'm not sure what it is.

2. The key is to drag the file onto the icon in the dock. This will install/open the file in that program. That one took me a bit to figure out, I kept trying to drag things into the window like I did on my PC.

3. Yeah that's a difference for sure. It takes some getting used but I don't even really notice anymore. Plus it's nice to be able to just click on something and go directly to it. I recommend learning to use Expose too for navigating all the different windows that open.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Lynette, thanks, i'm gonna try those out .

I hope you don't mind me picking your brain now and again about this. I'm sure i'll have more questions,lol.
thanks much.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I absolutely despise the transparent workspace. If you go to WINDOW and choose APPLICATION FRAME, it gives you a frame that you can resize to the size of your desktop. It took me forever to figure that out, but I sure am glad I did!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativepixels View Post
Oh, I absolutely despise the transparent workspace. If you go to WINDOW and choose APPLICATION FRAME, it gives you a frame that you can resize to the size of your desktop. It took me forever to figure that out, but I sure am glad I did!
I think this is a new feature in CS4.

And Brooke, ask away! I felt totally lost when I switched even though I'd used Macs before so I don't mind helping at all.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

1. How do you merge the shape you've made with a paper and the clipping mask together?
Use Command>Option>G to merge the layers and then you can use Command E to flatten them

2. How do you install actions?
In the actions section, there is a little arrow that when you click on it, a bunch of options show up. Select the Load Actions one and then you can load actions to your heart's content.

3. Not a question. An observation. It is very disconcerting to have the workspace be totally missing, with just the toolbars on the top and sides showing, with your desktop itself as the backdrop,lol. This machine has OS X on it so I guess it's just part of the joy of PS on a Mac now.
Can't you change that by going to Windows, then edit workspace and selecting the Basic workspace option? I haven't tried it myself because the transparent workspace doesn't bother me.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
Can't you change that by going to Windows, then edit workspace and selecting the Basic workspace option? I haven't tried it myself because the transparent workspace doesn't bother me.
I tried it just now in CS3 and it doesn't work. I know it's an option in CS4, it was one of the features they added.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh darn, I haven't tried it myself, but I was hoping that would help her out.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Alas, I have CS3 extended so that option isn't available to me. It's a small price to pay and like you Paula, it no longer bothers me. But it sure was a shocker at first. I thought something was severely wrong,lol.
The actions thing is going to take some practice. I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I will keep at it. I REALLY want to get those photo actions working,lol.
I'm keeping notes of everything you're suggesting