Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-01-2021, 06:04 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Enquiring minds want to know…

What’s your fave musical ever?

We were supposed to go to Sydney on Sunday to see Hamilton. Unfortunately with Sydney in lockdown it got cancelled (for the second time! We were supposed to see it in the UK last year).
So, we pivoted and are now going to see Harry Potter instead here in Melbourne.

Our family LOVES musicals. Our daughter performed in every one when she was in high school and we went to EVERY SINGLE PERFORMANCE !!

What is your fave musical, both on stage or in film?

Last edited by JoCee; 07-01-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:05 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

LOL, this is a lot harder for me than it should be, because I love musicals too, but I am going to have to go with The Sound Of Music because it is such a classic and I will watch it every time it is on. But I love so many others ones too. Bucket list event for me is to see a show on Broadway someday.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:32 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
LOL, this is a lot harder for me than it should be, because I love musicals too, but I am going to have to go with The Sound Of Music because it is such a classic and I will watch it every time it is on. But I love so many others ones too. Bucket list event for me is to see a show on Broadway someday.
That is an awesome show!

It will be two years in August since I last saw a musical. Which was actually on Broadway funnily enough. We saw Come from Away… did not want it to end and Dear Evan Hanson… not a dry eye in the theatre.

Hope you get to fulfil your bucket list wish xx
Old 07-01-2021, 08:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry your plans got canceled. . .again. Personally, I'm the opposite when it comes to musicals. My favorite is the one I've never seen.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So sorry your plans got canceled!

I LOVE musicals as well.
My favorite musical is Les Misérables. I've seen the show in Belgium twice (in Dutch) and once in London (in English).
My second favorite is Phantom of the Opera.

I've also seen Joseph and the amazing technicolor dream coat, Mama Mia, Beauty and the beast, Sound of Music and some more.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:15 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post

I LOVE musicals as well.
My favorite musical is Les Misérables. I've seen the show in Belgium twice (in Dutch) and once in London (in English).

I've also seen Joseph and the amazing technicolor dream coat, Mama Mia, Beauty and the beast, Sound of Music and some more.
Beauty and the Beast is my second favorite! It is awesome.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:27 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Beauty and the Beast is my second favorite! It is awesome.
Oh yes, it really is!
Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite Disney movies.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love ooooolllllldddd musicals, like Summer Stock, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and anything with Gene Kelly. Or Howard Keel. I've seen Phantom, Les Mis, Miss Saigon, Hairspray, and Wicked in person, and they're all super fun. But give me that technicolor and amazing dancing from the golden age of film!

Old 07-01-2021, 09:10 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
I love ooooolllllldddd musicals, like Summer Stock, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and anything with Gene Kelly. Or Howard Keel. {snip} But give me that technicolor and amazing dancing from the golden age of film!
This!

Howard Keel... just thinking about him makes me melt!

However, I have seen one Broadway show and it was "Rent". Joey Fatone was in it. My friend chose what show we would see on our short trip to NYC in 2002 and I was actually disappointed that she chose Rent. I ended up loving it and later I bought the DVD that has Jesse L Martin in the cast.

I would have to travel to see what most people consider a good musical but I have other things that I'd rather do with that time/money.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Riverdance is my fave. On my first trip to NYC, the show was premiering and my friend got me a ticket. Loved it!!! I've since seen it in Chicago and I think 3 more times in Grand Rapids.
The Sound of Music is my runnerup. Every time it's on TV, I'm there for it. When I was in Vermont for work once, I made my co worker go with me to the Von Trapp lodge in Stowe. We had lunch overlooking the mountains and saw the lodge from the outside and I loved it!!
Old 07-01-2021, 10:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's so funny to me that so many people love musicals because I HATE them so much. I just feel like, "Why can't you just say what you need to say instead of singing it?" LOL
Old 07-01-2021, 11:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
It's so funny to me that so many people love musicals because I HATE them so much. I just feel like, "Why can't you just say what you need to say instead of singing it?" LOL
Sometimes I feel like this too! But it's the dancing that gets me! I wish that we would all spontaneously bust out dance numbers in real life, with a sound track and all of us knowing the right steps, lol. We would probably be a happier society.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Newsies or Greatest Showman (film)
Phantom of the Opera (stage)
Old 07-01-2021, 04:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

In person, I've only seen Cats and Phantom of the Opera. Years and years ago. Before kids. lol We do watch Sound of Music every year. I love Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Do they count? I was just telling Nathan how some musicals are people singing what they're saying and some are singing, more so, in between. I love old shows with dancing and singing with Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby, etc. And Oklahoma, Harvey Girls, Meet Me in St. Louis, Wizard of Oz... Do all those "singing in between" count as musicals?
Old 07-01-2021, 07:42 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My son is super into musicals as he goes to an acting school every summer that performs a huge musical. He plans to audition for it next year. He loves Newsies most. I think Hamilton is probably my favorite, but I haven't watched nearly as many as him. I had planned to take him to NYC this year to see a couple, but with Covid, we have delayed it. I don't know until when though.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We loved Hamilton, We saw it in Detroit in 2019.

I'm super boring, Grease will always be my favorite. I usually love any kind of musical though.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
This!

I could look him up, but I am testing my knowledge here. Was he Adam in the original Seven Brides for Seven Brothers? (Another favorite of mine. I remember watching it with my mom through the years because it was her favorite.)
Old 07-01-2021, 09:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes, he was Adam (swoon!)

Old 07-01-2021, 09:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yes, he was Adam (swoon!)
Score! My mom would be so proud of me. She was like a trivia superstar, so that I remembered that is a great tribute to a great musical and the great mom who taught me to love them.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:07 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Score! My mom would be so proud of me. She was like a trivia superstar, so that I remembered that is a great tribute to a great musical and the great mom who taught me to love them.
Another memorable musical he was in was Annie Get Your Gun. He played Frank Butler opposite Betty Hutton's Annie Oakley.

And, in his later years he was also in one of my favorite TV shows in the 80's.... Dallas.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:38 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
Sorry your plans got canceled. . .again. Personally, I'm the opposite when it comes to musicals. My favorite is the one I've never seen.
LOL, I love that!
Old 07-01-2021, 11:41 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post

I LOVE musicals as well.

oh we LOVE Les Mis, saw it in the UK many years ago, also have seen Phantom, Chess, Wicked, Beauty and the Beast, Book of Mormon, Legally Blonde and WILL get to Hamilton one day soon.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I love ooooolllllldddd musicals, like Summer Stock, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and anything with Gene Kelly. Or Howard Keel. I've seen Phantom, Les Mis, Miss Saigon, Hairspray, and Wicked in person, and they're all super fun. But give me that technicolor and amazing dancing from the golden age of film!
oooh some awesome ones here Ally... and yes, those technicolour ones... classic! I think I saw Grease about 5 times when I was young, lol
Old 07-01-2021, 11:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
This!

However, I have seen one Broadway show and it was "Rent". Joey Fatone was in it. My friend chose what show we would see on our short trip to NYC in 2002 and I was actually disappointed that she chose Rent. I ended up loving it and later I bought the DVD that has Jesse L Martin in the cast.

I would have to travel to see what most people consider a good musical but I have other things that I'd rather do with that time/money.
oh I can just see him with his big shite moustache in his later days. was a very handsome man indeed
Old 07-01-2021, 11:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
Riverdance is my fave. On my first trip to NYC, the show was premiering and my friend got me a ticket. Loved it!!! I've since seen it in Chicago and I think 3 more times in Grand Rapids.
The Sound of Music is my runnerup. Every time it's on TV, I'm there for it. When I was in Vermont for work once, I made my co worker go with me to the Von Trapp lodge in Stowe. We had lunch overlooking the mountains and saw the lodge from the outside and I loved it!!
oh how fun!!
yes, you can never turn The Sound of Music off when it's on tv, we all land up singing along
Old 07-01-2021, 11:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
now this is funny! love it
Old 07-01-2021, 11:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Sometimes I feel like this too! But it's the dancing that gets me! I wish that we would all spontaneously bust out dance numbers in real life, with a sound track and all of us knowing the right steps, lol. We would probably be a happier society.
the BEST answer eva, lol
Old 07-01-2021, 11:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Newsies or Greatest Showman (film)
Phantom of the Opera (stage)
oh heaven... The Greatest Showman... so loved that show
Old 07-01-2021, 11:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetChar View Post
In person, I've only seen Cats and Phantom of the Opera. Years and years ago. Before kids. lol We do watch Sound of Music every year. I love Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Do they count? I was just telling Nathan how some musicals are people singing what they're saying and some are singing, more so, in between. I love old shows with dancing and singing with Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby, etc. And Oklahoma, Harvey Girls, Meet Me in St. Louis, Wizard of Oz... Do all those "singing in between" count as musicals?
oh some amazing shows here Char... I think we saw Mary Poppins in the theatre too. and yes, singing in between counts, lol
Old 07-01-2021, 11:52 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
My son is super into musicals as he goes to an acting school every summer that performs a huge musical. He plans to audition for it next year. He loves Newsies most. I think Hamilton is probably my favorite, but I haven't watched nearly as many as him. I had planned to take him to NYC this year to see a couple, but with Covid, we have delayed it. I don't know until when though.
how amazing. our daughter was big into her school musicals but that was a long time ago. she was in one every year for six years and we went to every.single.performance.... but loved loved loved them. good luck to your son.

I was in NYC with my daughter two years ago August and we went to see a couple of shows.. was magical.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
We loved Hamilton, We saw it in Detroit in 2019.

I'm super boring, Grease will always be my favorite. I usually love any kind of musical though.
well, we've tried twice now to see Hamilton.. hopefully third time will be the charm. It is coming to Melbourne next year so maybe we just wait until then....

love Grease.. saw it many many many times
Old 07-01-2021, 11:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We are off to Harry Potter on Sunday.. wasn't sure we would make it as there are number restrictions still in play for theatres, which were supposed to lift today but with what is going on around us... but... we got confirmation yesterday our tickets are good to go. So excited to be going, plus with my 20 year old son... doesn't get better than that!
Old 07-02-2021, 09:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry, your plans got cancelled, I am usually the one cancelling plans. LOL!!!

Fav. musical. Moulin Rouge. I can watch it over and over! I even made my teen watch it with me. She said it was the weirdest thing she has ever seen but was glued watching it with me. LOL!!!!