Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Scar Question/Mederma for Kids

I am feeling a little sick to my stomach right now. Awhile back my son was bitten by a dog right on his face. Here is a picture a day or two after it happened back around Christmas time.

And here is what it looks like now.

Anyway my mother came by tonight and told me that it would probably always be a scar. I thought that since he is small still and has a lot of growing left that it would fade away and be barely noticable. Am I wrong?!

Have any of you used Mederma for Kids and has it worked for you?? I am scared my little man's face is always going to have this scar now!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've too wondered about that stuff. My daughter has a scar across her nose at about that point. She will be three soon, the scar is about 18 months old. She hit the cement step as she fell leaving the door. I couldn't catch her in time. I still hate it. Reminds me I need faster reflexes.
I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has used it.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

When Emma was 2 she fell into the corner of a wooden park bench. She needed stitches and the dr in the er told us to use mederma on it and you'd barely be able to see it. Here's some pics...

When it happened

and now...you'd never know it was there.

We totally just used the generic brand too.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh my, poor Emma! I am glad that it healed up for her though! Thank you Laura... I feel a little better everything. I am going to go get some today and hope it helps!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I bet when he gets older he'll think it's cool to have a scar
Old 02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Smile

It might go away. Cooper had a bad place under his eye where Keira hit him with a block sorter on Thankgiving, its finally gone now, I didn't put anything on it.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My son got bit by a dog at his grandparents house on his nose and he does have a scar still but the scar is mostly on the underside of the nose. I never know about Mederma but I would think you have nothing to lose by trying it though.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We used it when Ashley had her fall at the park last Sept. I actually stopped using it because I was making her rub at the one under her eye when it was healing and I think it made it a little worse. It dries and kind of a clear film, so it irritated her a bit. We started using Vit E oil instead, but I may try the Mederma again in a month or so, since it is just a matter of things fading now.
Here are her scars now.....the one above her eye is lighter and is covered by her hair usually, I notice the one below her eye more even though it is smaller....slightly more red.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I swear by that stuff!

On a camping trip this past July Wes fell in our camper and cut his upper lip all the way through. We have been using Mederma on it regularly since it happened and it has faded a LOT. I don't know what it would look like if we hadn't used it, but putting it on makes me feel better. Haha.

The day after it happened (July 2009)...

September 2009...

December 2009...

Last edited by wvasweetness; 02-24-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindys732003 View Post
We used it when Ashley had her fall at the park last Sept. I actually stopped using it because I was making her rub at the one under her eye when it was healing and I think it made it a little worse. It dries and kind of a clear film, so it irritated her a bit. We started using Vit E oil instead, but I may try the Mederma again in a month or so, since it is just a matter of things fading now.
Here are her scars now.....the one above her eye is lighter and is covered by her hair usually, I notice the one below her eye more even though it is smaller....slightly more red.
Gosh Cindy, she certainly did herself a mischief didn't she??

My daughter fell over at day care when she was younger splitting open her eyebrow and now she has a scar that goes right thru the middle...and of course no eyebrow hair where the scar is. She is just getting the age where a couple of people have said stuff about her having 3 eyebrows and now I'm wondering if I should have done something more to try and reduce the scaring. Does Vitamin E and Mederma work on older scars...I know she may never have hair where the scar is but maybe if it can reduce the scarring it might help.

Fee

Wear this -
Old 02-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the same question as Fee - when is it too late to start with the Mederma? My daughter got two scars on her face back in June of last year. They are still pink and visible and would love to do something to help them along.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Jenny, I'm not sure about Vitamin E, but I think that I read that with Mederma, you can start at anytime and it will help to fade any redness.

Fee....yes, it was really scary, especially considering that everything was so close to her eye. Kids are just mean too......Ashley mentioned about a month ago that one of the older kids came into the bathroom at school and told her she looked like a witch....real nice. I think it was when she first got her stitches out, but still. She never told me at the time it happened either. Hopefully she won't get too much of that going forward
Old 02-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have used this on my daughters' and it has worked....I would recommend it....
Old 02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I need to remember to pick some of this up, it sounds like it really works! Kyle fell out of our bed last June and had a nasty cut above his eye that the ER docs used dermabond to close up and it has faded quite a bit over the last few months but is still noticeable.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just make sure you talk to a doctor first! Andrew wanted to use Mederma on Devin's lip (he bit through it when he fell on a trampoline) and nose (scraped and sliced it open in a faceplant off a swing) and the doctor was adamant that we NOT use it near mucus membranes. I'd worry about it that close to the tear duct.

Devin's scars are still visible, but I'm confident that they'll fade as he grows. Or so I keep telling myself.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
Just make sure you talk to a doctor first! Andrew wanted to use Mederma on Devin's lip (he bit through it when he fell on a trampoline) and nose (scraped and sliced it open in a faceplant off a swing) and the doctor was adamant that we NOT use it near mucus membranes. I'd worry about it that close to the tear duct.

Devin's scars are still visible, but I'm confident that they'll fade as he grows. Or so I keep telling myself.
Oh wow, that's good to know. Maybe the one below her eye is cutting it too close to use it then. I don't remember reading any warnings about that on the package.....
Old 02-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It's sad seeing all of the ouchies in this thread!

I went out and bought the Mederma so we will see how it goes. So far Andrew has been good about letting me put it on... hope it helps!

Thank you for all of the responses... you girls made me feel better

Jenny - you can use it on old scars too... the directions just say to keep applying for a longer period of time compared to newer scars.

Cindy - Kids can be so mean! Poor Ashley
Old 02-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lltheo

We've used it every day (almost) since Whit's fall back in August. I think it looks much better now and I feel like, what did we have to lose? Here are some pictures. In the second picture, he was crying and his face is all red and blotchy, so it is more visible, but it's definitely still there, as you can see in the 3rd pic.

Anyway, good luck! I hate kiddie boo boos! You can read all about our interesting day here on my blog!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh Leigh!! I read your story and oh my! That sounds terrifying I would freak out! I always get freaked out when I see blood when it has to do with the kids... it terrifies me. And gushing... NO THANK YOU!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindys732003 View Post
Jenny, I'm not sure about Vitamin E, but I think that I read that with Mederma, you can start at anytime and it will help to fade any redness.

Fee....yes, it was really scary, especially considering that everything was so close to her eye. Kids are just mean too......Ashley mentioned about a month ago that one of the older kids came into the bathroom at school and told her she looked like a witch....real nice. I think it was when she first got her stitches out, but still. She never told me at the time it happened either. Hopefully she won't get too much of that going forward
Oh no Cindy that's terrible...little girls can be so cruel sometimes. I dread to think what my daughters teenage years are going to be like when she gets into that period when you are really self conscious...i just hope she is confident enough within herself to brush off any comments.

And thanks for the advice on the Mederma...I'm going to check with our GP next time we go.

Fee

Wear this -
Old 05-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Great thread...if I get brave enough to share I will post before and after pics on using this. I just started a few days ago putting it on a very large scar that is almost 4 years old. I am anxious to see if it helps it.

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've been using it on Keira's belly to see if it helps the scar from having her tumor removed. I hope so.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh I hope it does too Vanessa!

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 05-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had the same thing with Mederma making my scar itch. I switched to vitamin E oil because it was alot more comfortable. I think I would try the Mederma first though because I think it may actually do a better job.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Gabriella has an insulin pump and her infusion sets leave scars all over her arms, legs, belly and hips. We use Lubriderm Intense Skin Repair Lotion and Mederma and they fade better than if we just use the Mederma only.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I used the Mederma for awhile but it was causing the skin to dry and flake by his eye so I stopped. I will post a recent picture though... it is looking better. It is still noticable but it is getting lighter.

I hope it works for you other girls though!