Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert
Unhappy I want to cry

I have spent the last couple of weeks completely organizing my portable external hard drive with over 125gb worth of digi kits, templates and digital scrapbook pages. Today, while my husband was backing it up for me, it died or crashed half way through the backup. I am so grateful that all of my finished and started pages made it to the backup before it crashed, I am bummed that my entire Sweet Shoppe File and Templates files did not. Holy cow. I want it all recovered, but my husband says it could cost a lot of money. He works for Amazon as a software engineer and I cannot believe there aren't people in his office he could have do it for me. Anyway, thanks for reading. I know you all can understand how sad I am. Still hoping we can get the info back.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh no! Mine has done this to me before too
Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am so sorry for you!
reminds me....I think it's time to do a back up aswell!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i'm so sorry.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

$700 is what it cost me to get almost 500 GB of data recovered ... not 100% ... but I think in the 90% ... if you decide it is worth it, I can get the contact information for this local company. They have been in business since 1988!!!!! They must be doing something right!

The Geek Squad could not recover ... but this particular store could ... they told me they didn't have "rules & regulations" like the other does ... they try everything they can. We were dealing with my photographs so it wasn't a choice not to spend that.

Another idea is to see if there is a "hackerspace" in your area ... they aren't the kind of people that hack into accounts (not what you see on tv), they are the tech savvy people that try all kinds of things to fix their computers and make new things. They are "makers" and inventors. I just took a 4 GB camera memory card to one of them and was able to recover hundreds of photos that had been deleted and written over ... I insisted on paying ... and he took $40. I was pleased!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so sorry! I hope you're able to get most of it back.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:18 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Ugh! I hate that kick in the gut feeling! Hope you're able to recover everything!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh man! I'm so so sorry. Crying would be totally appropriate in this situation. Also, a big slice of chocolate cake.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, that stinks! I don't have a lot of confidence in EHDs.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to coopert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
Another idea is to see if there is a "hackerspace" in your area ... they aren't the kind of people that hack into accounts (not what you see on tv), they are the tech savvy people that try all kinds of things to fix their computers and make new things. They are "makers" and inventors. I just took a 4 GB camera memory card to one of them and was able to recover hundreds of photos that had been deleted and written over ... I insisted on paying ... and he took $40. I was pleased!
Thank you for all of the good info Sharon. I will try to check hackerspace out. Fortunately I didn't lose photos or scrapbook pages. And I am finding kits and stuff in different places along with a file of my recent downloads. At this point it might be wise and cheaper for me to just do some buying in the Sweet Shoppe. Incentive to do the challenges. I am missing a few things from a couple of different stores I rarely shop at. And I am trying to reassure myself that I probably wouldn't have ever used those kits and that I should stop shopping the other stores anyway.

So as much of a kick in the gut it was at first, it's not working out as bad as I thought it might.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad its better than you thought. I store absolutely everything on my EHD (nothing on my internal drive other than installed programs) so I do worry about losing it. I had one crash and, thankfully, had online backup and was able to recover almost everything. I had a month's worth of photos that had not been backed up but it could have been a lot worse. Back when I had dvds of photos I lost 2 years worth when several dvds went corrupt. I was able to find a few pictures here and there to fill in the gaps, thankfully, but so many of those pictures I still miss.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ugh..what a mess! My DH has been working trying to get our server back to life to...
Old 02-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

So sorry that happened to you...It's never fun losing your stuff like that....And very sad and frustrating when technology lets you down!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I am glad it has turned out a bit better than you originally thought...still it's heartbreaking!! All this talk about EHDs failing, DH and I had a talk the other night about how much $$$$ I would pay to have it retreived. He just smiled and said yes, I know you would take out a second mortgage to pay for it if something ever happened! LOL

I freak out every time we do a transfer/delete to a new EHD...since I got a new computer with tons of memory, I decided to put my whole main scrapping stuff on the computer (and it's still on the EHD and a backup EHD)

DH knows how I am about pictures/scrapping stuff so he makes sure everything is backed up at least three times and if different locations! LOL
Old 02-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh that stinks. I'm so sorry.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Here is what I bought after the ehd (actually I had 2 identical drives crash within days of each other...one bricked!) ... image is linked...

I bought mine from Newegg ... I would HIGHLY recommend getting the wireless if possible ... it's faster. I bought the base unit and happened to walk into a Microcenter where they had the wireless add on in the clearance section ... I was amazed at how much faster it transfers data!

Now my only real worry is that someone would break into the house and steal it (It weighs a TON) ... so I do need to get an online backup or a blue ray writer ...
Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh that is awful! I'm so sorry that happened.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

That stinks! Sorry that happened but I'm glad you were able to save some stuff.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Do you know what happened to the HD? If it's the boot sector (what tells the computer what files to access), you may have hope with SATA/IDE adapter. My HD crashed and since the hard drive it's self was okay (the bearings were still working)... and hubby was able to get at the data by hooking up the disk directly to my laptop... it even helped a friend, she wrote about it here.

I know the feeling... we have our data backup in three places...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am so sorry that happened!!! I know the feeling! I have smug mug for all my pics and have all my other stuff on 2 EHD's - They mirror each other - and I don't keep anything on my computer - I love the link Sharon just posted - I have to get one!!

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland