Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Family Picture advice

With my 1st son we had studio portraits of him at all of the milestones. Newborn, 3 mo, 6 mo, 9 mo and then professional shots at one year. Well I have not done such a great job with DS2 and he has only gotten professional pictures at newborn and then we had our family picture session last November. For my birthday my mom said she was going to get Dylan's first year pictures for me from the photographer I like to use. For some reason I can not stop feeling guilty... like my older son should be in the pictures too. Then I start feeling guilty that my youngest never gets anything on his own. Lol... lots of guilt for me.

Anyway, what would you do? We normally get family pictures once a year but am not sure if we are this year... although we get an amazing deal, it is still kind of expensive.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Skype™ to DeepGirl

Haven't you got any friend who can take good pictures? What 'bout a photo in the golden field, in the meadow or just in the park with a green grass in the background?

When you look at my avatar, the photo was shot by my friend Adriana... when we meet, we love to have photo-sessions as we both say nobody can make as good pictures as we to each other. And no one of us is a professional. And it even wasn't shot by DSLR... just with ultrazoom.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would take the second's first year pics by himself (less chaos) and then later when he's older do a sibling/family shoot. That is what I did and I love it! When they are older they interact so much that you can really capture that then. Plus that way DS#2 has something just his! And it gives your mom another opportunity to give you a gift later!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Get the pictures taken with the photographer you like! You can always explain it later to him how YOU grew and found a photographer you like. Everyone is always learning new things and it could be a teaching lesson for him ... how you thought going into the mall was better, but found somthing better. You don't want to regret getting a bad picture when you knew you could have done better.

You can also start taking pics every year at the same time with them. INclude both of them.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think you feel guilt for no reason at all. You can't have everything lined up, planned and done the same way for every kid. The kids, the situations, the budget, the time - none are identical. What's important is the photos themselves, the memories etc... Who cares if some pics were professional and some were not, or if one kid has more of these and more of those? I can perfectly see why you're worried, but it really, really doesn't matter.

P.S. As Zora (DeepGirl) said - sometimes unprofessional pics can be great as well. If you have a friend who can take nice photos, and has some time to spare, you might be pleasantly surprised. It's only important to do a lot of pics so that you have a choice and a higher chance of getting really great ones.

Last edited by adrianka; 07-21-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Im lucky that my boys birthdays are just 2 months apart so I split the difference between birthdays and take them in the middle of the two. Each child gets pictures my themselves and then they take pictures together.

But even if it didnt work out this way and I only did one childs birthday pictures at a time I would definitely have some pictures of both of them together. If Im already paying money for the pictures I dont think its a big deal to have pics of both of them together.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do understand how you feel. I took my first to have her pictures done several times during her first year and also for her second birthday. Since then I've gotten a DSLR and improved my photography skills. My 2nd DD has had studio pics taken once and she's a year and half old. I have felt bad sometimes that we had more pictures done of my first and not my second, but my photography skills have improved and the pictures I have of my girls now are better than anything I ever had done in a studio.

You could always have pictures of just DS2 for his birthday and then have a few pictures done with both boys.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I recommend lots of shots of your youngest and a couple of the 2 of them together.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies!!

I think that I will have most of the pictures taken of Dylan and then some of them together.

I don't have any friends into photography really who could take pictures for me. I really wish I was better at taking pictures!! My pictures are nowhere near the same quality of the photographer I use!

Thank you for all of the suggestions!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We had our pictures taken today! I took both boys and am really happy I did! Dylan all of the sudden decided he was camera shy and Andrew was a total ham so it worked out well. Andrew kept saying "Take a picture of me!" It was at the zoo and Dylan was irritated I made him wear shoes. We ended up having to ditch them to make him happy. I'm super excited for tomorrow when I get to pick them up! Yes... one day turn around... how awesome is that?!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's great that in the end it all turned out so well. :-)