Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-21-2021, 12:56 PM
Banned

profile gallery
Default Shadow Styles

Do you have a favorite set you like to use on all of your layouts or do you mix it up? I've been experimenting with multiple sets lately and I feel like my shadow style choices are as moody as my scrapping style. hahaha How do you choose?
Old 03-21-2021, 04:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I primarily use Mommyish shadow styles. I use them as a starting point and adjust them if they just don't look right for my current layout. I do have a couple of other shadows style sets and they each have a couple of shadows I really like that aren't in the mommyish set, so I grab them as needed.

I've actually been trying to learn to make my own, but that has a pretty steep learning curve. I am trying to persevere because most of the scrappers I really admire, tend to have at least one or two items on their pages with more realistic shadows (not completely even) that really make their pages look dimensional.

Last edited by stephc777; 03-21-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Does anyone have something like this for Affinity Photo? I'm just starting to play with that program.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've always made all of my own shadow styles. When I first started scrapping, I would scrutinize pages of designers and scrappers and re-create their shadows on my own. From there, I've created a ton of different styles I use. I adjust them based on the specific attributes of any given layout (I'm using PSCC). Most commonly I play around with the opacity, size and distance. I will occasionally put shadows on their own layers and adjust, but there are very few elements I think it makes a material difference for, so I would say that technique makes up less than 10% of my shadows.

Is there a specific look you are trying to achieve? What program are you using?
Old 03-22-2021, 07:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I've always made all of my own shadow styles. When I first started scrapping, I would scrutinize pages of designers and scrappers and re-create their shadows on my own. From there, I've created a ton of different styles I use. I adjust them based on the specific attributes of any given layout (I'm using PSCC). Most commonly I play around with the opacity, size and distance. I will occasionally put shadows on their own layers and adjust, but there are very few elements I think it makes a material difference for, so I would say that technique makes up less than 10% of my shadows.
All. Of. This.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:06 AM
Banned

profile gallery

I'm using Photoshop CS6. I have an abundance of styles I like, and I mix them up based on the style of layout I feel like making. I use more simple styles for simple pages, for example. I like the idea of maybe finding the most useful set and just tweaking them for the desired look. Maybe that will help me commit to just one set.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:34 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
Me too. I've worked with PS for years but I still like to play around with shadows to get the desired effect. I keep post-it notes right now with different settings so if I want to duplicate that I can. Other times I pull up a layout that is in my favorites and try to duplicate what I see...like this layout here...which is yours...I'm working on a layout right now trying to duplicate your shadows and the depth you have in your layout. It's stunning...yours, not mine, it's still very much a work in progress.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a shadow action from way back that I have been using since forever...

I have tried others and I might use one of the other sets that I have but this one is my favorite by far.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a huge stockpile of them but the style set I use 99.9% of the time is from Fiddle Dee Dee Designs.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 03-26-2021, 09:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jo View Post
Me too. I've worked with PS for years but I still like to play around with shadows to get the desired effect. I keep post-it notes right now with different settings so if I want to duplicate that I can. Other times I pull up a layout that is in my favorites and try to duplicate what I see...like this layout here...which is yours...I'm working on a layout right now trying to duplicate your shadows and the depth you have in your layout. It's stunning...yours, not mine, it's still very much a work in progress.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by biancka View Post
I have a shadow action from way back that I have been using since forever...

I have tried others and I might use one of the other sets that I have but this one is my favorite by far.
Blast from the past!! I totally remember Kristen Rice I loved all of her pages, even before she started designing. I was on the A5 store CT back in the day. Most of my shadowing started with Holly Grieco (Holly Designs). She retired eons ago, but I remember some of her kits came with pre-shadowed elements and I recreated her shadows on the non-shadowed elements. I was on her CT up until she retired. I still love her products.

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 03-26-2021 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:00 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekiwi View Post
I have a huge stockpile of them but the style set I use 99.9% of the time is from Fiddle Dee Dee Designs.
YASSS!! I was like what the heck are shadows and one wonderful scrapper sent me a link to the FDD ones and that is it, along with a few I have created myself. I am still learning and shadows are hard!
Old 04-07-2021, 06:24 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have a weakness for the range of blues and lilacs. I like to add shades of these colors, but I try to keep myself in hand so that the design is not monotonous.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:47 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I use PS... whatever the newest version is at any given time. (seems to change by the week anymore. )

Back in the olden days, I would buy shadow layer styles for specialized items - like vellum. But once I learned what the 'trick was', I would tend to create my own. I was always tweaking them anyway based on whatever color they were sitting on.

I will create a style layer to warp my shadows if I'm 'bending' a photo or other ephemera - and for my ribbons or string which tend to be closer & further from the paper at different parts of the ribbon/string/thread.

But it's so interesting to read other's pathways to create the same thing. ... And the A5D/Kristin Rice flashback gave me all the feels! I STILL miss them.

***side note*** I have been registered and shopped here since 2008. But have only in the past month+ started posting here... because I wanted to learn the magic that is SSD's clustering and shadowing! No one does it like you ladies here at SSD when it comes to 3D clustering - which is why I've finally jumped into the community. (as opposed to only raiding the shoppe shelves )

So, thank you for the inspiration and excellent exampleS!