Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default OK I have a question for those who live where it snows

and please dont think I am totally stupid for this but when you have a bad snowstorm does it thunder?

Background for this question:

Basically we went to the movies today and we heard thunder while watching the movie (Eclipse was the movie) it was during the storm when Edward, Bella and Jacob were all up on the mountain in the snowstorm and I thought the thunder was part of the movie until the power went out. My daughter thought it was the funniest thing in the world because I thought that was all part of the movie. Like she knows more about snowstorms then me she was born in Florida and lived here her whole life. I of course have never seen snow or been in a baad snowstorm so I have no idea what goes on in a snowstorm LOL but my husband said no it does not thunder during a snowstorm. So really does it or no? I know ya'll are probably gonna think Im totally stupid for this question if it doesnt but I just have to know

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-11-2010, 05:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes, it's called "Thundersnow"... it's rare, and when it's a cold enough to snow, but warm enough for a thunderstorm, if that makes sense.

ETA... here is a wiki about it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow

Last edited by MamaBee; 07-11-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I just laughed at my husband because he was insisting there is no such thing as thunder in a snowstorm. Maybe it was not in the movie because it was raining really bad and the power did go out but it COULD have been in the movie in the snowstorm LOL. Now I dont feel like such a dingbat for thinking it was all happening in the movie at the time

Old 07-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

It's really rare and not the norm...iykwim....I've lived in the snow and I've never heard thunder in a snow storm...
Old 07-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It looks like Rebecca answered it well. Thundersnow. Yes, I've heard it. No, it doesn't happen that often.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My brother has some cool photos of lightening in a snow storm (so there was obviously thunder) but I can't find them. I'll post once I find them.....
Old 07-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yes, but its rare.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never seen/heard of it. I've seen lots of snow in my time though I would've bet there wasn't such a thing either, so don't blame it on the hubby!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Being close to the Great Lakes, we do have it probably 1-2 times a season... it's a bit freaky.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I live in Ohio and we get plenty of snow. But I have heard thunder when there is snow on the ground. I thought it was the craziest thing ever but it's true it happens.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just wanted to say I didn't think it was a stupid question. I've never been in a major earthquake or hurricane so I'm sure I would ask something "stupid" about those.

Also, snow is different depending on the temperature, amount of water content, etc. It can be very light or very heavy. Just because it snows it doesn't mean you can make a snowman. It depends on if it is what we call "packing snow" (able to form into a ball). Plus, depending on the air temperature and ground temperature it could be cold enough in the air to create snow but the ground may be warm enough that it melts upon contact. If you never lived in snow there would be a lot you wouldn't know so your question is definitely not stupid. Not all snowstorms are the same.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I've only seen thundersnow a couple of times. It's very cool.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I lived in Alaska for 3 years, N. Japan for 3 years (there we got over 150 inches of snow each year) and now here in Michigan, not once have I ever heard it thunder in a snowstorm. And I wonder if it thunders in Washington. It didn't in Alaska or Japan, and I don't recall it ever thundering in California when we lived there. Traci can correct me if I'm wrong about California, I lived in the same area she lives in.

Last edited by nesser1981; 07-11-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

It is extremely rare, but it can happen. I have lived in Canada, and thus snow, my entire life, and have never witnessed it even once.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I only recall witnessing it once in my almost 37 years of life (lived in Chicago suburbs my whole life)... super rare
Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had thundersnow this past winter. First time in my life I'd ever experienced that! DH said he'd seen it happen a few times growing up in MI, but not often at all.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:00 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Yeah - see - I would have said "no." I've lived in Utah - the good ol' Rocky Mountains - most of my life, and I can't think of a single time that we've had thunder during a snowstorm. But, I guess in other places it happens sometimes. Who knew? I've never heard of thundersnow, but I'll take all ya'lls word on it.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I live in ND and have never heard that in my entire life. We did however once have tornados, hail and snow in the same storm in November once. That was a strange, freak storm, normally November doesn't have hardly any storms here.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never heard of such a thing and I've lived in Oklahoma and Kansas all but 3 years of my life ... and it snows here every year! lol ....and I'm over 50 (ackkkk! did I admit that?) ... and never heard it or heard of it before.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I think I've maybe heard it once in my entire life. I've lived in Indiana- about an hour from Lake Michigan- my entire life.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

LOL it really was quite funny because the theater was so loud and apparently my daughter was trying to tell me it was raining and lightning during the latter half of the movie and I could not hear her. Then there was a really loud thunder and the power went out. I assume some lightning as well but we could not see it in there and I was like WTHeck?? There has to still be movie left and my daughter was like yea I told you it was raining couldnt you hear the thunder? I told her I thought that was part of the movie. Hey I cant say I am always the most observent LOL. Well anyhow I think we might have missed a scene or two because it started back up in a different spot then we left off. I read the book though so I knew what had happened and it was almost the end anyhow. Then when we left she was laughing at me saying how could you think the thunder was from the movie it was snowing in the movie and I was like it can thunder in a snowstorm cant it? So that is when I asked my husband and he said no it cant/doesn't or whatever and I thought it did so I figured with so many people living in the northern states surely someone must have experienced it if it happens. So its rare but does happen

Old 07-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
Yeah - see - I would have said "no." I've lived in Utah - the good ol' Rocky Mountains - most of my life, and I can't think of a single time that we've had thunder during a snowstorm. But, I guess in other places it happens sometimes. Who knew? I've never heard of thundersnow, but I'll take all ya'lls word on it.
that's where I am originally from and have heard the thunder during snowstorms, lol. I can think of twice I have heard it in the almost 20 yrs I lived there
Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via ICQ to Angela Spangler Send a message via AIM to Angela Spangler Send a message via MSN to Angela Spangler Send a message via Yahoo to Angela Spangler

Generally, there's no thunder. I've heard it before, but usually it's pretty rare. Freaky.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I've only seen/heard it one time
Old 07-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I live in Southern Ontario Canada and this year we actually had it happen three or 4 times.. all at different times too! It completely took me by surprise though as I cant remember EVER in my almost 40 years hearing that before! It was quite weird and we talked about it ALOT LOL It was the same with the earthquake we got just a few weeks ago! It was just a very small shake really but enough to cause a stir in the city! It has only happened one other time when I was 13 or 14. Weather and Mother Nature are quite an awesome wonder!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow...you learn something new every day!!

I lived in Alaska for 7 years and never heard it during a snowstorm. I would've thought it wasn't possible either.

Cool!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I live in Minnesota and have heard thunder during snow storms a few times. Not often, but it's happened.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i've lived in IL my whole life and up until 2 years ago i would have said you're insane lol

2 years ago we had thundersnow and OMG, it snowed SOOO hard. we also had it happen again this past winter. srsly freaky stuffs.