Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Are templates "cheating"?

I was showing a friend who isn't a scrapper but wants to get into it all of my stash. She asked what the templates were so I showed her one of cindy's empty templates and then my finished LO having used it.

Her response?

"Well templates are cheating, aren't they? It takes away all the creativity."

I was floored. I am an avid template user and I never thought it makes me less creative than someone who places everything on their own.

What do you think?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It is totally NOT cheating! I see it as a springboard for creativity... templates can be freeing in that it limits the number of photos to put on a page... and takes pressure of where to place things so I can focus on the picking out all the fun ellies and papers... that can really get my mojo going! And beside... I have way too many memories that I want to get down on paper, that I need templates to speed up the process.... LOL!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Definitely not cheating in my eyes!

I am a template addict, but I always add a lot more than what the template guides, so it's helping my creativity!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Noooooo!!!!!!! Seriously, I've never considered a LO that uses a template a cheat but I did (originally) think of myself as a fraud when I used them the first few times. But actually its exactly like using a sketch or doing a lift. The first time I used a tempate it was almost a carbon copy, now I adapt it for my kind of scrapping.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

And this isn't because I make templates at all. I was this way before I began being 'in the business'.

Templates are not cheating. Sure, they're building blocks, just like a pattern for sewing or recipe for cooking. For some, the time spent trying to figure out how takes away from our time to scrap, and templates help bridge that gap so we can scrap more and enjoy it more.

From the simplest photo cluster that allows us to have a basic structure to build on to the most elaborate templates, they're patterns. Some of us aren't great at design, but are great at photo taking or story telling and need some help with basic design. Some are short on time and need a paint by number quick step to put together a layout we love. How is it cheating?

Sure, if you were trying to pass yourself off as great layout artist with no mention of help from anyone else, that's a bit of cheating. But templates are tools, just like any other tool you use - whether you look at another layout and lift it, look at a sketch in a magazine and use it's influence, or use a template to help you put it together. You're scrapping for your family, recording your memories, and using the tools that are available to you!

Don't let her comment make you feel badly. If it weren't for templates, I wouldn't scrap 1/3 of what I can fit in anymore. I rely on them now for the time saver!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

No more than using a pattern when sewing, knitting or crocheting. It's a starting point & gives you some structure. You choose the colors, the patterns (the fabric, the yarn), choose your photos & your own embellishments (beading & lace) and you adjust it as needed to suit your vision.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ITA with Darcy, as long as you are crediting the maker I don't think its cheating. Personally I prefer to not use them as I feel limited by them. I rarely ever use one as its originally made. I guess I just don't work the same as others.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is a great explanation Darcy. When I swithced from PSE to CS4 I lost how to do everything and to be honest I don't have the time to learn CS4 (I wasn PSE BACK!!!!). So I rely on the templates to help me with that knowing I can clip.

I've been getting very creative with templates, spinning, twisting, moving, etc. I really never ever thought of it as cheating. Her comment totally took me off guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
And this isn't because I make templates at all. I was this way before I began being 'in the business'.

Templates are not cheating. Sure, they're building blocks, just like a pattern for sewing or recipe for cooking. For some, the time spent trying to figure out how takes away from our time to scrap, and templates help bridge that gap so we can scrap more and enjoy it more.

From the simplest photo cluster that allows us to have a basic structure to build on to the most elaborate templates, they're patterns. Some of us aren't great at design, but are great at photo taking or story telling and need some help with basic design. Some are short on time and need a paint by number quick step to put together a layout we love. How is it cheating?

Sure, if you were trying to pass yourself off as great layout artist with no mention of help from anyone else, that's a bit of cheating. But templates are tools, just like any other tool you use - whether you look at another layout and lift it, look at a sketch in a magazine and use it's influence, or use a template to help you put it together. You're scrapping for your family, recording your memories, and using the tools that are available to you!

Don't let her comment make you feel badly. If it weren't for templates, I wouldn't scrap 1/3 of what I can fit in anymore. I rely on them now for the time saver!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Also, we give credit, the same as we do for patterned paper or a journaling block. By her logic we should make our own paper and embellies and stuff.

Seriously though, if it feels like cheating to her then she shouldn't buy template. But she doesn't need project her idea of creative do's and don'ts on to you.

Sorry... I didn't mean to rant
Old 07-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I use them all the time and I am MORE creative with them. Something about a good template just keeps my mind going and spinning around with ideas. They totally work for me. Whereas on the other hand I almost never scraplift. Not my thing, not inspiring me.

Cheating? Oh please! In my eyes the argument against that is sooo obvious. Look into a gallery and you have your answer. Using a template by no means generates a stunning layout without effort. And that's what this type of comments normally implies. That anyone can do it with these. In your case, if she really thinks that way I'd tell her to use one of Cindy's template. And if her layout automatically looks as stunning as Cindy's originals I'm happy to change my mind...

Last edited by Ginger_79; 07-10-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

well the funny part about this is that she doesn't scrap yet. I smiled at her and told her that in a year I'll look through her stash and fully expect to see it laden with templates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal Miller View Post
Also, we give credit, the same as we do for patterned paper or a journaling block. By her logic we should make our own paper and embellies and stuff.

Seriously though, if it feels like cheating to her then she shouldn't buy template. But she doesn't need project her idea of creative do's and don'ts on to you.

Sorry... I didn't mean to rant
Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'll bet if you picked a few random layouts from the gallery that were all done using the same template, she wouldn't even realise they were all the same template . I'm a template addict, and rarely scrap without them anymore. As everyone has said, it's just a starting block, and people will do different things with the same template, so they end up looking completely differrent!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I buy the kits and don't create the elements and papers myself - that could be considered cheating, too.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I don't think they're cheating! Whatever you do to make your scrapping experience better is fine in my books!

I'm not a template user, only very rarely, but that is my personal preference and I only have a handful of them in my stash. I am in the minority that I find templates difficult to use, but it's probably because when I make a layout, I move and reposition things SO much, a template feels too "fixed" to me LOL. I am weird like that, I know most people LOVE templates!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
I don't think they're cheating! Whatever you do to make your scrapping experience better is fine in my books!

I'm not a template user, only very rarely, but that is my personal preference and I only have a handful of them in my stash. I am in the minority that I find templates difficult to use, but it's probably because when I make a layout, I move and reposition things SO much, a template feels too "fixed" to me LOL. I am weird like that, I know most people LOVE templates!

Ditto...I say as long as you're giving credit it's A OK. Because I find them harder to use, I'm often really WOWed by the scrappers that can really rock them.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Darcy said everything I would have said!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh, Darcy's explanation is perfect!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_79 View Post
I am MORE creative with them.
this is how i feel! i was sooo against templates for the longest time, now i almost NEED them to do a layout. I generally use the photo placement and the paper pieces and delete all the other 'stuffs.' I tend to use the same photo placement all the time so templates help me get away from that!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Cheating - No WAY!

I agree with everything already said. And just wanted to add that I generally do not end up with exactly the same number of elements, papers, or even pictures that the template started with. It may not even be in the same direction, or the same size.

It just gets my mojo going and kick starts my design process.

I think you are right, she'll break down before the year is out. Especially if you gently show her where the freebies are each Tuesday.

Portfolios:
May June

Proud to be a Creative Team member for SusDesigns
Old 07-10-2010, 10:27 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post

Ditto on this for me as well. Templates are also difficult for me so I'm amazed by those who can create layouts that make it look so effortless! I have some of Cindy's templates and every now and then I'll use one because her compositions generally wow me and sometimes I'll just want a particular look for a layout. But I use it more as a guide and change so much, particularly when it comes to embellies. That's the wonderful thing about templates... because nothing is fixed, you have that freedom to delete and add and get as CREATIVE as you want. Is that cheating? No way!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Heh, reading this thread I suddenly remembered something I colleauge said to me once. I was explaining what scrapping is and to showed her my pages. She was impressed. To make it easier for her to understand I showed her a shop and kits, so she gets an idea of the process.

Her response (and she didn't mean it in a negative way I have to add): Ooooh, so it's all pre-made, yes? You just assemble it? So it's relatively simple if you can use the program?

I found it funny because it so reminded me of myself when I found out about digi scrapping. I saw the supplies and my head went: OMG! In no time I will creating masterpieces!!! Heh, for some unkown reason it was not as easy. And my first LO didn't look exactely stunning.

So, maybe it's just a general beginners thing? That we all think once we have the supplies it's smooth sailing from there?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This thread is cracking me up! Looks like you got a whole forum full of girls that got your back, me included. I ditto everything that has already been said. So, go enjoy your day and scrap with a template!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i used to never use templates. mostly cause i never found any that fit my style. and okay, cause i used to think of them as sort of cheating lol. but i use them a lot now. especially lately. but i try to adapt them to fit me. i don't think i ever use them EXACTLY as is; even if its just a few elements placed different, or if i resize it. i try to make it mine. they are immensely helpful when your mojo is lacking. and there are tons out there, you're sure to find one that strikes your fancy lol.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Going to jump in and say NO too! It's definitely NOT cheating... like the other girls mentioned - it's a starting point.

I pretty exclusively use templates when I scrap. I've tried creating on my own, and there are 3 in my gallery that look exactly the same (like I used the same template), lol! I am NOT great at placement, I can't seem to get anything to look right, you know? I had that problem as a paper scrapper and pretty much depended on sketches and scraplifts.

I don't feel like a failure, a fraud or a cheat. Templates take JUST as much creativity to make it your own as a layout from scratch. It can take me HOURS to get a template to look just how I want it... choosing papers, embellies, adding stuff, taking it away, resizing, flipping, etc.

Huge fan of:

Old 07-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

When I first started digi scrapping about 6 years ago, there weren't really templates around to use. I made every page from scratch and it would take me hours and hours. I didn't like templates when they came out at first, because back then it did feel like cheating. (Plus at that time I was really focused on being published, and trying to be innovative with all of my layouts.)

But when I first tried a template, I found I really liked it and templates changed my scrapping world! I can create layouts in an hour or so. I went from getting 15 pages done a year to close to a hundred. I get so many more of our stories told with templates. So, now I love them and use them on 98% of my layouts. I no longer feel like using templates is cheating, I feel like they are another tool in our scrapping tool box.

And, can I add that Cindy's templates rock?! I love seeing how so many scrappers use them and make such amazing pages with them.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to suze

as a template designer... i say no!

but seriously Im more creative with a template, and I use mine and other template designers.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I find it important to say that while I was posting in this thread I was doing a layout using darcy's totm template.

I must just be a cheater! :-)
Old 07-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with what Kim said- if I didnt use a template then I would get NO scrapping done. I have done more LO's in the 2 months that I've been here at SSD than I have in the past 2 years and thats all because of Cindy's awesome templates! I LOOOOOOOVE them. You might even say ADDICTED!

Besides, anyone can take a template and throw stuff together but it takes a great scrapper to be able to create a very eye pleasing LO. you can't just fill it with any old paper and elements, it takes creativity to get the colors to go together just right and to embellish the page to make it go from drab to WOWZA!

But if that is cheating then call me a big ole cheater and I will wear that title proudly!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Then I'm a HUGE cheater! Lately, I think all I've scrapped with are templates! Obviously, you have a springboard to work with, but you choose whether to use the template as it, change it, flip it, leave parts out, add things... AND you have to choose what to use where- patterns or solids? Ribbons or paper strips? etc...

Plus being a full time working mom, I may only have a couple hours a week when I MAY be able to scrap. And so I need them to get scrapping done! I say use what you like and don't worry about it!

Stephanie = The template junkie

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I agree with everyone else! Templates for me are just like SKETCHES in the paper world. I use sketches all the time. MY paper layouts usually don't end up looking like the sketch at all in the end though. IT's just a creative springboard to getting started. Sometimes just looking at a sketch or an idea can get the mojo going.

ANd like stated before give 4 people the same template and you get lots of different looks! Depending on their photos, stories, kit choices etc..... Templates ROCK! And I love how flexible they are. You can delete, add, etc... And I can use the same template a few times and it looks different with every layout!

Plus I find it easier to create a template before I scrap even an original page. I have a ton of my own templates for this purpose. It's easier to clip a photo then to resize it just right.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

You're awesome, Darcy!

I am in the group of people who is pretty good at photographing & journaling, but the design of a page sometimes stumps me, especially photo placement and I find a really great template takes away the stress of trying to make a nice page. I don't use them all the time, but I do LOOOOOVE them (especially Cindy's) because they take me outside the "bubble" that is my usual style, and I love how my pages look when I use them. And at this point, I am all about making pages that I love, and not feeling the "competition" side of feeling like I need to be more creative than person A or B, you know?

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I do not think so and I will show you why:

Both of these were made with the exact same template by Crystal Livesay but they are both incredibly different looks both because I used different kits which can totally change the look of a template AND because I changed the position of every single thing in the beach layout. So when using a template you get a starting point and can add to, take away from, move, rotate, flip etc every single piece of the template and really make it your own. Also you do not make every piece that goes into your own designs (like papers, elements, fonts etc) do you? And that would apply to digital OR paper scrapbooking but it would not be considered cheating then. So I would say using a template is just the same as using everything else that you do to make a layout it is just part of a creative process that we use to preserve our families memories

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to erica922

I don't think so, a good tool for some who loves them. Personally I don't like themplates lol
Old 07-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

heck no they aren't cheating. I use a template for just about every layout - however a lot of the time i change something in it. Plus you still have to put it all together and make it look right.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think they're cheating... when others use them! lol I've just never been a big template user. I'm trying to use them more and more to get over my thoughts on them, because I see these awesome templates and gorgeous pages made with them. I just can't bring myself to spend the money on them (to be totally honest). I just can't get over this double standard I have in my head. I truly do not think they are cheating, I just feel kind of guilty when I use them. (Yeah doesn't make sense I know) But I know lots of people who use them ALL the time, and I never think less of them or their pages when they use them.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

What she said.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via ICQ to Angela Spangler Send a message via AIM to Angela Spangler Send a message via MSN to Angela Spangler Send a message via Yahoo to Angela Spangler

If you get a page done and it documents what you want, how is that cheating????
Old 07-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post

So when using a template you get a starting point and can add to, take away from, move, rotate, flip etc every single piece of the template and really make it your own. Also you do not make every piece that goes into your own designs (like papers, elements, fonts etc) do you? And that would apply to digital OR paper scrapbooking but it would not be considered cheating then. So I would say using a template is just the same as using everything else that you do to make a layout it is just part of a creative process that we use to preserve our families memories
What she said.