Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What makes you want to buy a kit most?
papers 26 32.50%
elements 26 32.50%
layouts you see made with it 28 35.00%
other (please elaborate) 29 36.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2011, 02:02 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default RQOTD:What makes you buy a kit more?

I am just curious what makes you want to buy a kit more? The elements? The papers? The layouts you see made with it? Or something else completely?

(I know totally random but Im bored and was unzipping some downloads and I noticed in most kits the elements are my favorite part of the kits but I do love pretty backgrounds as well)

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by jessica31876; 07-21-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a sucker for amazing patterned papers... but I also love really creative elements. I've bought kits before for either/both reasons. A killer alpha might entice me to a buy a kit too.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

what attracts me to a kit the most that it fits the theme for my pics, and my style

Old 07-21-2011, 02:57 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I think it is a little of all of the above...but I relaly do LOVE some fabulous paper!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

What gets me to buy a kit is awesome pattern papers with a few solids, alphas (preferably more than one) and frames, also if I see a page that makes me go WOW then it would entice me to buy it but mostly its the pattern papers x
Old 07-21-2011, 03:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chels85 View Post
what attracts me to a kit the most that it fits the theme for my pics, and my style
this..

if I like it I either wishlist it or buy it

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 07-21-2011, 05:20 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I like both, but voted "other" because at the end of the day, it's the kit preview that sells me. You can have really pretty papers, and cute elements, but if your preview sucks, then there's no way I'm buying it. KCB has the BEST previews (and I'm not just saying that cause I'm on her CT - I bought her kits for years because her previews were so great).
Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

colors of the kit... that is what gets me to buy a kit... that and a theme.... I'm a total sucker for a theme, even if I have no photos for it - then it becomes a challenge to use it in a different way.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I also like "full" kits. I want to have enough elements in the kit to do everything I want - to not HAVE to go searching other kits for extra flowers, or ribbons, etc. It's the scrooge in me - I want more for my money.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I also like "full" kits. I want to have enough elements in the kit to do everything I want - to not HAVE to go searching other kits for extra flowers, or ribbons, etc. It's the scrooge in me - I want more for my money.
I agree - I like my $$ to go as far as possible especially with being a student and dealing with the exchange rates

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I ticked all the options, because I'd say it's everything for me. It really depends.

Sometimes it's because of the papers, sometimes because of the alpha, sometimes because of the colour scheme (currently I love grey/white/black/pink), sometimes because of the theme (I love music-themed one for example), sometimes because it fits a photo I already have, sometimes because it's just pretty and I want it.

And it happens very often that a fabulous layout, or several lovely layouts sell me a kit I originally didn't want to buy. CT work is important!

Last edited by adrianka; 07-21-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
You can have really pretty papers, and cute elements, but if your preview sucks, then there's no way I'm buying it. KCB has the BEST previews (and I'm not just saying that cause I'm on her CT - I bought her kits for years because her previews were so great).
^^ This However, I HAVE bought kits with sucky previews because of the layouts I've seen using it. But I checked elements (having fun and unique elements is a big plus for me) and layouts.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm very cautious about fab previews. I used to buy kits based on lovely previews and it did happen that the kit disappointed me. Not that it's a rule, but it can happen. So I prefer seeing layouts done with the kit.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I'm in the "all the above" category as well. I LOVE beautiful papers and great elements, but CT pages have gotten me over a hump more than once, for sure.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am with Jacinda....the kits preview is what you see first. That attracts you or not. But I have to say that I scroll through the gallery often and then I see layouts of kits I don't have....and most of the time they end up on my wishlist for later or directly in my cart!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
^^ this - I like to be able to use kits again and again!

I think it depends on the occasion - whether I'm searching for something to match photos (I'd look more at the colours and the theme) or whether I'm browsing and just have to have a kit (I'm a sucker for cute elements!).

Normally I love to see really unusual elements in a kit, then I tend to look at the layouts that have been made using it to see how it all comes together. I hesitate buying kits without layouts made with them... I guess I need to kick start my imagination with something!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
I ticked all the options, because I'd say it's everything for me. It really depends.

Sometimes it's because of the papers, sometimes because of the alpha, sometimes because of the colour scheme (currently I love grey/white/black/pink), sometimes because of the theme (I love music-themed one for example), sometimes because it fits a photo I already have, sometimes because it's just pretty and I want it.

And it happens very often that a fabulous layout, or several lovely layouts sell me a kit I originally didn't want to buy. CT work is important!
this. almost word for word...well, minus the grey/white/black/pink

Old 07-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The preview. I am a big picture gal, so if I can't see all of it, then I don't know if I want it.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mine would be papers and colors. It annoys me when the previews are so full of elements you can barely see the papers.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Number one reason for me - COLORS! I don't scrap too-too themey but if a kit has colors I can use and some basic elements, then I'll buy it.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post

this is me too... minus the grey/white/black/pink
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I like to see LOs done. It helps me visualize past the preview.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For me its: COLORS!! Love colors, but also want some neutrals too. I typically look for kits that includes neutrals, rather than a kit with 5 bright popping colors. I've passed up some kits because they seem to be the same color schemes I've had before.

Then the elements. I like kits with interesting elements. Especially ones that are rather unique. Love chunky ones, metal, things that look like fabric.

Then theme of the kit: if it's a theme that's perfect I might be daring and try a new color scheme. Did this with Jenn Barrettes 'Ice' kit. I don't scrap much in purple, but as an accent it might work! Her kits usually have lovely neutrals to pair with the colors.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:22 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Mine would be papers and colors. It annoys me when the previews are so full of elements you can barely see the papers.

^^

i love pretty papers <3
Old 07-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It just depends, sometimes it colors & how it all looks together, sometimes its theme & elements, sometimes I see a paisley paper that I LOVE & must have the entire kit, for that 1 single paper. Sometimes I see a LO with the kit & know that I need it.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I need to have pics that go with the kit or I know that I will taking pics soon that will go with the theme. I have my favorite designers, but I will go to a different person if I need the kit for my pics.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Quote:
Word.
With all my hybrid stuff, I almost exclusively use papers. So it's gotta have awesome papers to get me to snag it.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For me it could be any of the above: papers, colors, elements. For the most part though, I am a "themey" type person so I like elements. I also don't have many photos from my childhood so I love having elements for my "I don't have any photos" pages.

I really like it when the designers make a few previews: one with just the papers separate from the elements. When I can really see everything it makes it easier to make a purchasing decision.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love kits with beautifully patterned paper, but I also love kits with lots of fun, useful elements. Most kits have flowers, buttons and ribbons, etc, which is fine and I use them, but I also really like brads and tags and stars and bows and journal spots, etc. "Blink of an Eye" (TR and KCB) is one of my favorite kits because it has gorgeous papers but it also has some amazing coordinating elements. (I really like the brads that coordinate with the papers.) "Good Morning Sunshine" (KCB) also has some terrific elements in it. I also bought "Chemical Reaction" (Melissa Bennett) because of the really cool elements in it. Eva Kipler's "Best Day Ever" also had great elements. For me, I think I look at papers and elements together. I want beautiful papers, but I want some great coordinating elements too.

Buttons are good, but I actually also like brads and I don't think we see nearly as many brads in kits anymore. Leaves and some greenery also nice as well. Sometimes some kits have just too many flowers and buttons. I guess what I like is wonderful papers combined with a variety of elements. I love great alphas too, although I think a strong set of elements is more important than the alpha, because if there are some really great papers, you can make your own alpha fairly easily.

And yes, I do look at layouts in the gallery or in the message forum a lot before I decide on buying a kit.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That annoys me too. I love when it's an option to pull up the kit and scroll to just the pages, then just the elements and then to the CT LOs. I want to see it all by itself too.

That said, I look at the papers and elements. I love paper. It's my fave. I also want to see what kind of elements there are and make sure there is enough variety and uniqueness for me.

Happily creating for Two More Days and Guest for Little Butterfly Wings June & July
Old 07-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
I love kits with beautifully patterned paper, but I also love kits with lots of fun, useful elements. Most kits have flowers, buttons and ribbons, etc, which is fine and I use them, but I also really like brads and tags and stars and bows and journal spots, etc. "Blink of an Eye" (TR and KCB) is one of my favorite kits because it has gorgeous papers but it also has some amazing coordinating elements. (I really like the brads that coordinate with the papers.) "Good Morning Sunshine" (KCB) also has some terrific elements in it. I also bought "Chemical Reaction" (Melissa Bennett) because of the really cool elements in it. Eva Kipler's "Best Day Ever" also had great elements. For me, I think I look at papers and elements together. I want beautiful papers, but I want some great coordinating elements too.

Buttons are good, but I actually also like brads and I don't think we see nearly as many brads in kits anymore. Leaves and some greenery also nice as well. Sometimes some kits have just too many flowers and buttons. I guess what I like is wonderful papers combined with a variety of elements. I love great alphas too, although I think a strong set of elements is more important than the alpha, because if there are some really great papers, you can make your own alpha fairly easily.

And yes, I do look at layouts in the gallery or in the message forum a lot before I decide on buying a kit.

I really like brads too. I would love to see more brads in kits.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Usually it's the layouts that get me. Or a theme.

And I just want to add that I hate when kits don't have solids that match the colours in the patterned paper! That is a must, IMO
Old 07-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Colors! And then papers and flowers!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I used to be all about the paper, but now I've got my EHD so full of things that it is usually the elements that catch my eye now. I'm a big one for wanting a lot of different/unique elements. I still get attracted to some kits based on the papers, but I'm getting better about not auto-purchasing unless I feel like I'm going to love the elements too. I have also been known to fall in love with certain LOs and want the kit. I'm pretty much just a pushover.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is exactly me! And Im the type of person that thinks EVERY kit should have flowers in it- they are GREAT filler items and a must have for those who like to cluster!

Quote:
Old 07-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It depends on the phase I'm going through. For awhile now, I've been in a very paper-heavy phase. I love papers with beautiful patterns or textures or just this "feel" to them, so I really look at the papers in a kit before I buy it.

Sometimes, I'm really in an element-heavy mode where I look for things with a LOT of elements.

I do have some must-haves in each element set that I try to look for before I buy a kit, but usually, it's either papers OR elements, but both makes a kit even more yummy.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 07-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For me its the elements & colors. I have 1 boy & 2 girls so kits that can go for both genders.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

LOL! I couldn't make up my mind, so I voted for "other" - for me it's a combination of them all - but generally it's more the colors & style of a kit that win me over.

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 07-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

for me it's elements because 9 times out of 10 I just use a plain (neutral) background. I do love pretty papers...but I'm kind of snobby and I only like papers from a handful of designers........I *NEED* a kit to wow me with their elements...I can always find a paper I love in my stash.....but I love love love unique elements!!! Those will get me to buy a kit every time...no matter what the papers look like!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 07-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I voted other. It just depends.....I really love papers and elements. The more elements the better for me because my style is clustering and layering. The more LO's I see done with that kit helps too. I am also a color gal or theme. It depends on what I am shopping for. I basically love to shop is what it boils down to.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Probably colors, then papers, then elements. However, I'm really picky when buying because I have a very small budget for scrapbooking. So, I always check out the CT pages before I buy. It always boils down to the completed pages I see done with the kit. I need to see how it all works together and be reassured that I'm going to be happy with my page.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

colors and style
Old 07-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Colors definitely...but papers and elements that are appealing are also important to me. Honestly though, I have been swayed more than once by an awesome layout done with a kit that I likely wouldn't have purchased otherwise.

I like when shopping to be able to see some sample layouts in the store.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:55 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

A big part of my choice is always colour - sometimes I buy a kit cause it's one of my fave colour schemes, other times I will choose a kit because it's a colour scheme that's out of my comfort zone . . but always addicted to pretty elements and papers!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The results make me giggle. It's not very definitive, is it??

I'm with Lynnette, colors and papers. Playing with papers makes me happy, so I don't buy kits if the papers don't look like something I can work with. And no matter how fun the papers are, I'm not gonna buy a kit in colors that don't make me happy.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

A good colour swatch always has me buying. I'm a little difficult on the papers, too. I need fabulous patterned papers with at least one including all the colours of the swatch and solids to match. Alphas I can give or take, since I have a huge stash. Same thing for elements, I can always pull from other kits by doing a search in Finder. Although it is a plus when a kit has good elements to layer, flowers and leaves.

And I have absolutely bought a kit after seeing only CT pages. A nice page can sell a kit for sure!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I always want a kit to be "full" and that makes me sick when the same flower comes in three or four different colors ! I can recolor if needed ! I want to have enough unique elements in the kit to do everything I want and to not have to go searching other kits for extra flowers, ribbons, etc... And i look at sample layouts in the store a lot before buying a kit because i need to see how papers and elements work together and be reassured that my own page is going to look good ! Cindy's layered templates are the only product i auto-purchase each and every week !

Last edited by Ingridfasquelle; 07-22-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Oh wow! I can;t believe how even the poll vote is right now! Looks like everyone has a different reason for choosing kits and it's pretty even across the board. I love papers and that's usually what draws me to the kit. BUT sometimes I buy a kit specifically for the elements that it has in it. Ans on occasion I have bought a kit or moved it to my wish list specifically because of a CT LO that I liked. Oh well, I 'm no help
Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

the first thing I look at is the preview, I'm a sucker for a bight colour scheme and a theme. I look for flat, non-layered elements, and clipart. I also prefer there to brads and other fasteners over buttons. At least one basic paper that uses the entire colour swatch (multi-coloured dots/stripes or plaids). Worart and an Alpha without a background.

I will say this though, all of this means nothing if i don't trust the quality of the designer's work. So the thing that pushes me over the edge: Am I sure I'll get what I think I'm getting.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
this. almost word for word...well, minus the grey/white/black/pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
this is me too... minus the grey/white/black/pink
Great minds think alike. Love the minus part, made me smile. :-)