Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Nightmare in Paris

So....we left Holland on Monday for a short vacation of four days to Paris. We were supposed to come home on Thursday and guess what? We are already home! Yesterday evening we got a text from our friend that the Belgium trainsystem would have a strike on Thursday. We didn't know anything about that so I was a little panicked! I already saw myself, pregnant and all, sitting on the streets of Paris at Christmas. But my hubby was relaxed as always so we made a plan...

We went to Paris Nord first thing this morning and tried to get another ride home. There was a possibility of validation for today but then we had no garantee to be able to sit down. And three hours is a lot to stand up. So in the end we bought new tickets! Most important was that we could go home....

And we did have 1,5 day of fun in Paris. Ofcourse, we wanted to see more of Paris.....but I did see my favourite part, the Eiffeltower. There's something about that thing....it's so ugly that it's beautiful!

Glad to be home though and a have a few nice pictures to scrap one of two layouts.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thankfully you made it home safe and sound! I love when significant others keep their cool and work things out to keep us stress free!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry you had to cut your vacation short!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

sorry you had to cut your vacation short but glad you got to see the Eiffel tower I can't wait to go back to Paris!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Glad you had fun while you were there, and sorry you had to cut it short!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, Paris and I just don't mix well...There is always something every.single.time we go...Last time, in May, it was DH taking out a couple of dudes on a moped.

Sorry your vacation got cut a bit short.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:25 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I really hate this. We only had1,5 day out of three. And i was so looking forward to our last trip together (possibly).
Old 12-22-2011, 03:35 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Too bad you had to cut it short, Leontine ! That strike in Belgium just sucks but at least you could see the Eiffel Tower !

Last edited by Ingridfasquelle; 12-22-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry you had to cut your trip short, but thankful you all made it back safe and sound.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well. France and strikes belong together. All included, so to speak. Even if it was a Belgian strike that cut your trip short. At least you enjoyed what you had and now have a story to tell. Not that much of a nightmare really. :-)

I was once thrown out of a hotel during my language stay in France (it was closed due to administrative reasons), had to pack within 10 minutes and find a new one - it's become a favourite story of mine to tell, even though I didn't really appreciate it at that time. And I got 3 days in a superb expensive suite with a king-sized bed before the school found me a replacement, so there was a positive side to it in the end. :-)

Last edited by adrianka; 12-22-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry to hear that you were also a victim of the strike, Leontine. It wasn't the railroads only, it was just everything that went on a strike yesterday. The postal services were gone too, that's terrible just three days before Christmas. The economical and political situation is not good in our country at the moment. People were basicly told they'll have to pay (even) more taxes (we're already one of the countries with the highest taxes in the WORLD) and work longer (until 65), so no wonder people start a protest.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:01 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Well....I have sympathie for strikers most of the time....but in this case I thought the moment to strike was a little bad chosen. Not only because I was in Paris, but in general because it's almost Christmas and all. This has effect on so many people and probably doesn't hit the people they strike for.

But that's my opinion....but you are right...there is happening a lot in Belgium at the moment. Luik as ultimate low point last week.