Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Another homeschool thread - 1st grade

So my first-grader is dealing with some anxiety and behavior issues, and is not thriving sitting at a desk for 6 hours a day in a classroom with 30 other kids. I really think it would benefit him to be homeschooled at least for this year, as he's dealing with a lot of stuff (anxiety and all of the stress/chaos surrounding his little brother's medical issues) and needs more one-on-one attention.

If I can convince DH, I'm considering pulling him out of school and keeping him home this year. I've always wanted to home school, so I'm familiar with various curriculum and virtual school options, but am wondering what you all would suggest for a 1st grade boy who is at grade level in reading and math but just doesn't do well sitting still for hours at a time. Ideally, I'd like to do the core subjects in two or three hours and leave the rest of the time for active play and exploration.

Last edited by Kara; 09-09-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Don't sit Or change where he is when he does certain things. There's no reason for him to sit at a desk if he's doing reading - maybe he's more comfortable laid out on the floor to do his math, and when you do read alouds for whatever subject you're working on, there's no reason why he can't have a little toy in his hand that he plays with quietly if it helps him concentrate a little more than just being fidgety. You can also break up your day a bit if it helps. Do a subject or two, then give him 20 min to go play and shake off the fidgets!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Take a look at My Fathers World. I'm doing 1st with Ben right now and I love the emphasis on Bible and Charlotte Mason/unit studies. We only do about 1 hour of desk time, the other 2 hours can be completed on the floor, the bed, the park... The car! LOL! I love that the curriculum leaves one day a week for science and outdoor exploration, too.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
Don't sit Or change where he is when he does certain things. There's no reason for him to sit at a desk if he's doing reading - maybe he's more comfortable laid out on the floor to do his math, and when you do read alouds for whatever subject you're working on, there's no reason why he can't have a little toy in his hand that he plays with quietly if it helps him concentrate a little more than just being fidgety. You can also break up your day a bit if it helps. Do a subject or two, then give him 20 min to go play and shake off the fidgets!
WSS^^^

we "chunk" our time... do one subject, then play, do another subject, then play... I also create games out of the activities... you can make your own board game for phonics and learning to read...

on my list of books to read this year is: How to Get Your Child off the Refrigerator and on to Learning by Carol Barnier and it's all about putting motion and games into everything you can...
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Take a look at My Fathers World. I'm doing 1st with Ben right now and I love the emphasis on Bible and Charlotte Mason/unit studies. We only do about 1 hour of desk time, the other 2 hours can be completed on the floor, the bed, the park... The car! LOL! I love that the curriculum leaves one day a week for science and outdoor exploration, too.
ITA. My Father's World is where it's at for us, too. I've got one in PreK and one in 7th grade, and did a TON of reading about and attending conventions to see curriculum first-hand. MFW was my favorite because it did allow for so much exploration and freedom in the schedule while still helping kids learn a lot! I've learned so much during the time we've homeschooled, and I'm so excited for the years to come.

It's really helped with fidgets.

Oh, and there's no rule that school has to be done in a set place, at a table, whatever. The older one has gone outside and laid in the shade on the trampoline to do his reading, taking a jump break between chapters. We've done work on the porch swing, laying on the couch, in the kitchen-- everywhere in the house, really! (yes, we've even done some activities and lessons in the bathroom, especially any experiments that need dark, since it's our darkest room).

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

we do My Father's World too