Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default eeaders...

I think I am going to finally buy myself an eeader. I am leaning towards the Nook Color. Does anyone here have one? How do you like it?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i have a regular nook....and love it.
lemme know what you get!

Old 08-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the K2 international, DH has the K3, my mom has the original K2, the K3, and the Nook Color(she works for a developer, lol). She likes them all, but the K3 is her go-to reader.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Jenn, I've got the Nook Color and I love it! I haven't figured out how to do the lend feature, but if you get one we can do that!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I love the nook color, especially the magazine features. I am typing from mine right now: the tablet feature is pretty fun also.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I am a Kindle gal. Its just like reading a new book. My so has the Nook and Nook Color. He likes the Nook Color but he turned it into a tablet/android. Its cool but I prefer reading a book from the non LCD screened kindle. If your eyes are sensitive and you read a lot, you may want to consider that before getting a color screen.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have only had the sony eredaer and now the Kindle 3g which I am in love with
Old 08-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauramarie View Post
I am a Kindle gal. Its just like reading a new book. My so has the Nook and Nook Color. He likes the Nook Color but he turned it into a tablet/android. Its cool but I prefer reading a book from the non LCD screened kindle. If your eyes are sensitive and you read a lot, you may want to consider that before getting a color screen.
This is me too. I have a Kindle (set up for US content) and I love it. The last 3 weeks we've been at the pool and I loved reading my books in the sunshine. The other screens I think you'd get major glare from the sun.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

DH has a nook color - he LOVES it! One advantage is that you can also get magazine subscriptions and see them in full color.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/PRD07T20WBL1-7.../dp/B004A8QT9O

It is much cheaper, but I will say it runs like its much cheaper LOL, I just wasn't ready for the nook price tag, and this one totally fits the bill just fine for me.

One other thing, this is true for all sorts of eeaders, but I absolutely ADORE having the ability to buy any book, any time I want to - and over the wifi too so it takes absolutely no effort!!! Sometimes I think it maybe is TOO easy considering that I've bought more books over the past few months than the whole last few years combined!

Last edited by Shawna Clingerman; 08-24-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Nook vs Kindle is kind like the Canon vs. Nikon, debate...both are awesome but one just feels better to you!!

If you just want to read books then either the Kindle or the regular nook are very comparable!!! They both use e-ink and I think they are both just as easy to buy/download books too. I think they both also get the same amount of free books offered. The only advantage to the Kindle would be if you want to use your Swagbucks...you can buy amazon gift cards and in turn buy books. You can get a Barnes and Noble gift card from Swagbucks...but I know they are more and not sure if you can use those in Canada!! And the only advantage to a Nook would be library book lending...and supposedly Kindle is getting that before the year is out...but I'm not counting on that till I see it.

If you are looking for something more then just a book to read, then I think you will be happy with the Nook Color, I'd stay away from any of the lower end models or off brand eeads for the very fact of what Shawna said...my SIL go the Pandigital for Christmas and her's has been nothing but a head ache......she used it for about 2 weeks and then it kept needing updates and they couldn't figure it out and when I was at her house in the middle of July...she still couldn't use it!!

I love my Kindle.....do I sometimes wish I could get library books on it...ABSOLUTELY....but not enough to switch to a Nook!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

NookColor here and I love it! My 2 main reasons for wanting this was the backlighting and to check books out from the library. I can't tell you how many times I've been so happy to have it backlit. And I like the extra stuff it can do too - email, apps, mags, newspapers, etc. My kids beg to use it for app games. Oh and I also love the crossword puzzles and sudoku on it.

Everyone seems to love what they have though!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

Kindle for me, and I bought a Kindle for Nathan for his 11th birthday. He ADORES his and I'm pretty in love with mine after owning it almost a year...I preferred the kindle because I spend enough time looking at a computer as it is, so I wanted the easy on my eyes screen of the kindle...I read it at the pool a lot so I love the no-glare!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I have a Nook Color and a Nook Simple Touch reader. No opinion on Kindle-I went with Nook specifically so that I could also download ebooks from my library-that has worked out wonderful! Kindle is supposed to eventually have that feature.

I bought the Nook Color specifically because it was multi-functioning. I can read books, surf the internet, play games, listen to music, take notes, and have scrapbook pages and photos to show others. The best thing about Nook is that it is in Color! I love color. With all the latest updates it functions very well as a tablet. I use it to read inside and with the adjustments available for changing the brightness I have not experienced any eye strain. The only down side for me was the weight of the reader. The Nook Color does weigh more that a plain Nook or Kindle. I have fibromylagia and my muscles in my arms can be very weak so it appeared heavy to Me. I worked around that by supporting the Nook with pillows and I just finished a 800 page book on it. For most people the extra weight is probably not even an issue.

Once Spring and Summer hit I found myself wanting to read outside while I supervise the pets. Nook Color was difficult for that. So when the new smaller, lighter, e-ink Nook Simple Touch came out, my husband bought it for me to try out. I love it! I can easily hold it in one hand and read outside in the sunshine. I also use it for the majority of my reading inside during the day when the light is good. I purchased a cheap clip on lamp from the Dollar Store to help with seeing the e-ink when the outside light fades.

So, I love both the Nook Color and Nook Simple Touch and use them both. If I'm charging one I can use the other and have all the same books downloaded on each one. I love reading!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like the Nook Color would be best for me. I don't read outside much and would be using it for library books mostly (or so I tell myself lol). I like that I could do some online stuff with it to. I am thinking it will be my Christmas present! Thanks guys!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got the anti-glare screen for my NookColor and that combined with the options to change your background and text colors, I don't experience any eyestrain. I'm on the computer all day and never experience any, so fortunately, I just don't have that problem.

I also found the perfect case for it on Amazon - it had everything I wanted.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Oh and another thing that drew me to just the Kindle (and I don't think this has been pointed out in these Kindle vs. Nook threads)....yes I would love all the stuff the Nook Color does, but I know me...I'd sit down to read and I'd say..."well let me just check my email real quick...well let me just check in the forums real quick...well let me just check [insert any time sucking activity] real quick..." And I'd never get to my book!!

I don't have the will power to say no...I do that cycle everyday when I sit at my computer to start scrapping....it's a vicious cycle I can't break!!! So at least I know that if I settle down with my Kindle....I'll actually get to read some before I'm sucked back to life with web surfing!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
Oh and another thing that drew me to just the Kindle (and I don't think this has been pointed out in these Kindle vs. Nook threads)....yes I would love all the stuff the Nook Color does, but I know me...I'd sit down to read and I'd say..."well let me just check my email real quick...well let me just check in the forums real quick...well let me just check [insert any time sucking activity] real quick..." And I'd never get to my book!!

I don't have the will power to say no...I do that cycle everyday when I sit at my computer to start scrapping....it's a vicious cycle I can't break!!! So at least I know that if I settle down with my Kindle....I'll actually get to read some before I'm sucked back to life with web surfing!!!
LOL, that is a good point.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

This is sooo true! I love the fact that Kindle really becomes your 'book' rather then another multi-purpose item.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:54 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I saw the cover of the newest Consumer Reports and apparently one of their features is comparing the ereaders. I need to head to the library and read that article. Just wanted to mention that in case you were interested in their comparison test.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
I saw the cover of the newest Consumer Reports and apparently one of their features is comparing the ereaders. I need to head to the library and read that article. Just wanted to mention that in case you were interested in their comparison test.
I saw this article at my local BN. It really does a great job of comparing all of the different ereaders out there!

My DH just bought me a Nook Color for my birthday last week and I LOVE it!!! Now I haven't figured out all of the features yet but love everything I have tested so far. I am actually going to go to a class at BN next weekend that is specifically for Nook Color owners to learn everything about them. I will be watching to see who all has the Nook Color as I think it would be great to be able to lend books to each other!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My only problem with my NookColor - it's kind of made my scrapping take a backseat lately...and just when I was on a serious roll.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I have the Kobo... it's cheaper.. and I can get library books on it. I <3 it.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Here's why I love my Kindle...

-I shop Amazon a LOT..I love the whispernet delivery
-I can use my swagbucks gift cards to buy books
-I didn't want a backlit screen
-I wanted something that still had the feeling that I was reading an actual book even though it was an ereader
-Amazon customer service is phenomenal...I broke my Kindle 2 weeks ago, called them and they shipped a new on no questions asked even though it was totally my fault
-I love how easy it is to organize my books on my Kindle (not sure how that works with nooks
-the battery life is unbelievable...like I only have to charge it every 4-5 weeks and longer if I remember to turn off wireless when I'm not using it

I think though it's like others have said...Nook vs. Kindle is like Canon vs. Nikon...just a matter of preference.

Also remember that Kindle is adding library lending by the end of the year.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappinsweetie

I was just coming here to post a question about the regular nook, which i have. i am taking an online class this semester where the course textbook is a pdf that can't be printed. does anyone know if i can put it on my nook? it is such a pita trying to take my laptop everywhere with me to read it. it hit me last night that i might be able to put it on my nook since it is a pdf. anyone know?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would love to get one, but I know I'd just end up buying children's books for it so my kids can read at restaurants and in the car. lol (ETA: I don't know anything about them at all)

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Last edited by rachaelsscraps; 08-25-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

you have the nook 1st edition?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...oks/379002704/

go there and look at number 10. there is a little video.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Hahaha I've never thought of it like that before but it's so true!!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Did you end up getting the Nook Jenn?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am saving up for it for Christmas I think Maybe before then if I get tired of running back in forth to the library here...
Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know which one to get...I heard the Nook was a pain to purchase books because of being in Canada, but it's compatible with my library. The only other one that is compatible and I would consider buying is the Kobo from Chapters. I like the Kindle though, so it's either the Kobo so I can "borrow" books from the library or the Kindle and not use the library. Ugh!

ETA I just saw on our library site that Kindle is going to be compatible in the fall! So maybe I'll get one of those!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I downloaded a Kindle eeader for my computer when I realized how many free Kindle books Amazon has. Now I really want to get the real thing so that I don't have to be sitting at my computer to read the books (It even motivated me to sign up for a Swagbucks account so I could get the Amazon GC's)