Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69
Default Kindle vs Nook

ok...give me the low down....{I could do the research but I know you guys will be honest with me!!!}

1. which one do you have
2. which one do you think is better
3. why do you think one is better than the other
4. I need reading glasses, so which one would be better for that
5. which one can you buy more books for
6. how does the book sharing work {someone told me on the Kindle you can only share a book ONCE}
7. is it is to manueveur the menu
8. pros vs cons for each one

ok give it to me...I am going to get one for my birthday. but I just need to decide which one would be better Price is not an issue
Old 08-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It really is hard to say which one is better than the other. Its kinda like Nikon vs. Canon- depends on which you prefer. I have the original Nook and I LOVE it! I never had the Kindle so I can't say which I think is better but I just liked the look of the Nook better than the Kindle.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

1. which one do you have: Kindle
2. which one do you think is better: I only have experience with Kindle
3. why do you think one is better than the other: I love Kindle because it has Whispernet and it isn't backlit, and the price was certainly right
4. I need reading glasses, so which one would be better for that: You can adjust the font size on Kindle. Also, I wear bifocals and have no problems using my Kindle
5. which one can you buy more books for: I believe Kindle has more variety, plus you can put ebooks on pdf on Kindle as well
6. how does the book sharing work {someone told me on the Kindle you can only share a book ONCE}: I have never shared a book with my Kindle, but I know you can
7. is it is to manueveur the menu: I find it very easy to maneuver the Kindle. It's also very easy to organize your books
8. pros vs cons for each one: Again, I don't know about the Nook, but I love the Kindle. I don't really have any cons, and the pros I've listed above.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

1. which one do you have Kindle
2. which one do you think is better I love my Kindle...can't speak on the Nook
3. why do you think one is better than the other Whispernet on the Kindle is great
4. I need reading glasses, so which one would be better for that You can adjust font size on the Kindle
5. which one can you buy more books for I believe the Kindle has more books
6. how does the book sharing work {someone told me on the Kindle you can only share a book ONCE} Sharing is the same on both (it is set by publisher)
7. is it is to manueveur the menu Easy
8. pros vs cons for each oneI love my Kindle...I share my account with my SIL so we can both read all the books
Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

1. which one do you have: Nook

2. which one do you think is better I love my nook.i have no experience on the kindle though

3. why do you think one is better than the other? i had more experience with B&N and i liked the library feature w the nook

4. I need reading glasses, so which one would be better for that You can adjust font size on the nook as well

5. which one can you buy more books for? I don't use B&N to buy my books, so i can't really answer that. i LOVE the site I use.

6. how does the book sharing work {someone told me on the Kindle you can only share a book ONCE} Sharing is the same on both (it is set by publisher)

7. is it is to manueveur the menu super easy

8. pros vs cons for each one I honestly don't know anything about the kindle so....i say get a nook LOL

Old 08-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. which one do you have: Kindle
2. which one do you think is better: I looked at both and I bought the Kindle for a few reasons - a) market leader, so more books and b) I'm not convinced that B&N is going to be in business long-term and c) I wanted to use my Swagbucks gift cards for books at Amazon.
3. why do you think one is better than the other: I tried the apps for both and I had some trouble with B&N. Their process for buying & getting books seemed more complicated to me. Whispernet is amazing - so easy!
4. I need reading glasses, so which one would be better for that: Either one, they both have the ability to change font size.
5. which one can you buy more books for: I think the Kindle.
6. how does the book sharing work {someone told me on the Kindle you can only share a book ONCE} Yes, you can only lend once. But there are book lending sites where you can borrow a wide variety of books.
7. is it is to manueveur the menu: It is pretty easy, but I wish I could organize my books with a greater level of granularity. I also wish the covers of the books were visible in the organizational structure, like they are on the Nook Color or the iPad Kindle App.
8. pros vs cons for each one: I like my Kindle well-enough. In another Kindle/Nook thread, Elizabeth (I think) mentioned how much she likes that her Kindle is for a single purpose - i.e., she can't easily web surf or do other things on it, and it helps her to read rather than get distracted with other things. I think that's really true for me, too.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I should also mention, library borrowing is currently available on the Nook but not the Kindle...BUT Amazon has promised it by the end of the year in the USA (with rumor that it is coming in September)
Old 08-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Smile

1. which one do you have kindle

2. which one do you think is better
I think ereaders in general are great, but I LOVE my kindle. I liked it since they've been doing ebooks longer than the Nook, and I feel the same as Kara, I'm not convinced B&N will always be here, but I feel like Amazon will always be here.

3. why do you think one is better than the other
I like the way the screen is with the kindle, I assume the nook is backlit, which I specifically ::don't:: want - I can read my kindle on a beach in direct sunlight, it's awesome! Plus, I look at a computer often enough and ::don't:: want to read with a backlit surface. I'm not sure about the nook, but with my kindle, I only charge it after reading 4 or 5 books, - about once a month - I ::love:: that long battery life!

4. I need reading glasses, so which one would be better for that
As stated above, you can adjust the font size on the kindle. I only adjust the font size if I do my treadmill (rare event for this gal, lol) so I can not get sick while reading, and it's awesome!

5. which one can you buy more books for
I'm not sure how it compares with nook, I know I can get whatever books I have looked for the kindle!

6. how does the book sharing work {someone told me on the Kindle you can only share a book ONCE}

my library promises to have sharing and library books available for my kindle in the fall (which is about here, so we'll see) I do really want this feature!

7. is it is to manueveur the menu
the menu is cake for me!

8. pros vs cons for each one
overall, I think the kindle is the industry leader, although I do think the nook is taking a fair share of the market. I have ::zero:: complaints about my kindle.
Also, for some reason, I have had poor customer service from B&N multiple times and only outstanding customer service from Amazon. I trust Amazon much more and have even returned several books after I read the first few chapters and found them not to my taste, by the time I hung up the phone, the books were off my kindle and I had my money back! In my book (pun intended, lol) you can't beat that! Gotta love fabulous customer service!

Public Relations for www.digitalscrapper.com
(Photoshop & PSE digital scrapbook training)
Old 08-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Everyone's already pretty much touched on all the reasons I love my Kindle, but thought I'd just throw this out there. It's about the sharing thing. Just something to consider...

We currently have 7 Kindles registered to one Amazon account and can share books between them. It's me, my Mom, my Grandma, my MIL, and 2 of my very close friends (who happen to be in book club with me). All of us enjoy the same books. This has worked out very well for us. You can download the books to multiple Kindles that are registered to the same Amazon account. The thing is that you have to trust the people who are on your account - because they'd technically be able to buy something on Amazon and charge it to you or whoever has their credit card info stored on there). More than one person can store their credit card info and then when someone downloads a book, they can select which credit card to charge it to. Because most of us on my account are family, we all have a card on the account. It's my Amazon account and the deal is that they have to use their own Amazon account if they're buying something physical. But if they want a book for their Kindle, they have my log-on info and can log on, download a book, charge it to their own credit card, and then the rest of us on the account also have access to that book. Those of us in book club take turns buying the book club book. All the other books we read just kind of work out (even though my Mom probably ends up buying more books than the rest of us just because she has time to read more).

I think that a similar setup would work well for a group of friends - you could open up a new Amazon account, and register everyone's Kindles to that account, and really you could just use Gift Cards to pay for everything if you didn't want to have anyone's credit card info on there (but you can't see the whole credit card number once it's been stored, the only thing that shows up is the last 4 digits). Then everyone could take turn buying Amazon gift cards and enter them and then just use them to pay for everything.

I've read through all of Amazon's terms of use and such and there's nothing in there that says this isn't allowed. You can have as many devices registered to a single account as you want. Nothing says they all have to belong to the same person. I do thing there is a limit (I think it's 7?) to how many times most books can be downloaded - this is set by the publisher. And once I had to talk to someone in Kindle Support because I thought I broke my kindle (I didn't. User error) and for my own peace of mind I asked him "hypothetically" if this kind of thing was OK. He said it absolutely was and that it was an excellent idea. I felt much better then (before that I had always worried that we were somehow breaking the rules).

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there for Kindle users to think about. I hope it made sense. It's worked out well for us! And I LOVE my Kindle!! I'm on my 2nd, upgraded version (I gave my older one to my Grandma when I ordered my new one last month).

Last edited by JenTapler; 08-28-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ditto Amazon's amazing customer service. Their policy is that you can return any Kindle book for any reason within 7 days of purchase. I've also had several that I just haven't liked for whatever reason. I just send them an email and it's refunded within a couple of hours.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

1. which one do you have- A Nook 3G though rooting for a Color for Christmas!
2. which one do you think is better- No idea, but I did a ton of research before buying my Nook and ended up picking that one!
3. why do you think one is better than the other- I don't have a Kindle so a bit unsure..but the library compatible was super nice with the Nook plus I have been a loyal BN customer for years and years so I wanted to go with them. I liked knowing I could just go into a store if I have trouble
4. I need reading glasses, so which one would be better for that- No idea
5. which one can you buy more books for- It's about the same I think, though people say the Kindle has more. A lot of the ones they have for free on the Kindle are ones I am not interested in. I have never found the Nook books to be lacking
6. how does the book sharing work {someone told me on the Kindle you can only share a book ONCE}- I think others replied to this one.
7. is it is to manueveur the menu- I have never had a problem once I figured it out.
8. pros vs cons for each one- I don't have any cons for my Nook. I love it and use it daily and have never had an issue. It's my most favorite gadget ever!!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think you have to know what you want to use it for. Just reading? Then decide if you need the library feature right now - the Nook is for you. If you don't care about that and like Amazon better than B&N and can wait for the library feature, then the Kindle would be it.

If you want something you can do more with than read books, then get the Nook Color. Or if you want something backlit, then the NC is your only choice. I got the NC because I wanted something backlit and hooked to libraries right away. I have yet to buy a book (B&N has tons of free ones), and can't keep up with what I need to read. I *have* purchased a few apps for the kids like Angry Birds, and I'm enjoying some crosswords and playing freecell solitaire, too.

Everyone loves what they have so as long as you figure out how you want to use it, you really can't go wrong with any of them! I really haven't seen anyone post that they regret what they bought.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. which one do you have Nook
2. which one do you think is better neither. I choose Nook (at the time- 2 years ago) because of access to our library's epub books
3. why do you think one is better than the other no opinion on this. you get the same result
4. I need reading glasses, so which one would be better for that they are the same as long as they have a e-ink screen. you can change fonts and size on both
5. which one can you buy more books for the same- for Nook you can buy from other sites. not sure if kindle is amazon only or not? you should also know that some publishers/authors do not have ebooks at all.
6. how does the book sharing work {someone told me on the Kindle you can only share a book ONCE} depends on the publisher
7. is it is to manueveur the menu easy enough
8. pros vs cons for each one they are basically the same thing. I think the biggest difference right now is the Nook's ability to read pdf & epub without having to convert the file. If you are talking about Nook Color that is a whole different device. But between Kindle and Nook they are basically the same.

i have the first generation Nook. I am thinking about getting another ereader because my son keeps stealing mine. I will probably go with a Kindle this time ONLY because I like the shape better than the newer Nooks. I want the shape and size to be what I am use to.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

on the library issue, I read that the head of Overdrive (the service that makes digital library books) said his company has been working hard with Kindle to get library content available. At a conference for librarians, he refused to tell the exact roll-out date, but gave this visual-

S- streamlining (both downloading and ordering)
E- explosion (more devices coming)
P- premium (the library is the most premium site on the web)
T- traffic (enormous growth by year's end)

so... the big hint is September for this Kindle feature. If you are willing to wait for your birthday present, I'd see if the Kindle does indeed roll out this feature in September.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

AND..October usually brings a new update..there may be a new Kindle coming (I haven't researched enough to find out if this is true). I'm going to be purchasing one in November for my birthday, and am hoping there will be an upgrade by that point (cause then maybe this gen. might be a lot cheaper LOL)
Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
AND..October usually brings a new update..there may be a new Kindle coming (I haven't researched enough to find out if this is true). I'm going to be purchasing one in November for my birthday, and am hoping there will be an upgrade by that point (cause then maybe this gen. might be a lot cheaper LOL)
yes, I hear that in October that Amazon will release an android tablet (I'm guessing this will compare to the Nook Color?) and 2 new Kindles- one a touchscreen ereader and the second is supposed to be an upgrade of the current Kindle.

I'm excited to get one for Christmas. I'm being extra nice so Santa will bring me one.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to scrappinsweetie

I have a college class that has an online pdf textbook. I just d/l it and put it on my nook with NO problems at all. since then i have put other pdf's on my nook with no problem.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree that they appear to be pretty comparable. I got the Nook because I can download from my library (and other places) for free. I really like it.