Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default iMac vs Macbrook Pro - WWYD?

Ok so we might be looking to take the plundge and switch to Mac. Right now, I have a HP 18.4 inch laptop and it's just not working good, even after repairs.

Anyway, DH and I were looking into Mac computers and here's the deal: I have to choose between
A) 21-inch iMac, 3.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB, 2TB Serial ATA Drive
OR
B) MacBook Pro 17inch, 2.53GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB, 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

Right now, I am leaning towards the iMac, because I feel I get more bang for my buck (btw, both choices have the same retail price - between 2300 and 2400 $ CAD). However, about 6 times a year, I go to crops or week-end retreats and I would have to haul the iMac. Is it worth it or should I go with the laptop? By the way, I'm not at all convinced with the MacBook since it comes with a 500 gb hard drive. I need more that that and I'm not to keen on EHDs.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

well it might help to know that the iMac is pretty portable for a desktop (obviously not as portable as a laptop but when you compare it to the hassle of carrying around a PC desktop it's a HUGE difference) i often bring it around with me if i have to spend a weekend away from home. it's a bit heavy but the box has a handle for easy carrying and it's so quick and easy to pack it up. it takes all of 3 minutes!

so if this were me, i'd go with the iMac and just carry it around to the crops those few times a year. like you said, more bang for your buck and you can still bring it with you!

good luck with your decision!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I have both an iMac and a MacbookPro and I love them both. I will say that it really depends on what you want out of it and how you enjoy using your computer most. I ENJOY sitting out in the livingroom on the couch with the kids to work more than I like sitting in my office at the desk, so I prefer my Macbook, but really both are amazing machines and you won't regret either purchase : )

Congrats on going Mac! You won't go back!

R
Old 04-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

the new macbooks were announced yesterday sooo..i'd wait a little bit and get one

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think it ultimately depends on what you value more - the hard drive space or the flexibility of a laptop. I have a MacBookPro and I love that I can use it in any place in the house. 99% of the time I scrap on my living room sofa. But I've also dealt with a lot of hard drive space issues so I do know how frustrating that can be too. For me I would rather delete or risk losing some files in exchange for the flexibility, but you'd have to decide what you prefer more.

One thing to consider is that it is possible to upgrade the laptop hard drive at a later date. My MBP is almost three years old and in January I just upgraded the drive from 250GB to 500GB. But it will be awhile before you see a 2TB drive in a laptop so if you're already close to maxing out the 500GB drive and really really don't want to use an EHD, I'd probably go with the iMac.

Like Robin said, either way you really can't wrong. Plus with the iMac you get that nice big screen too.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It really does depends on your needs. I had a laptop and realized that I hardly ever took it with me anywhere... I always was using it in our front room.... so I opted to get the iMac when I upgraded and my desk is in the front room so I can be with the family while I'm on my computer. It was important to me to have a huge HD and lots of RAM... speed and space were more important to ME than portability since I found I never really needed the portability of a laptop.

Plus my iMac is freakin' gorgeous.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you for your input!

Flirtatiousbrat: I've got the Apple e-mail this morning, so it seems that the specs that I put in my first message are for the new Macbooks. They didn't change the hard drive space, it seems.

I'm a little scared of going back to a desktop computer, because I usually scrap on the couch. But, I use a table to put my laptop on anyway and it would work with an iMac too if I really want to scrap on the couch. It's like a foldable hospital table, the legs go under the couch. I don't really like having a laptop on my legs, so I really need the table even if I get the Macbook. It can also double as a desk when pushed against the wall. It's not the cutest - it's grey plastic, lol, but it works ad it's durable and right now, with three young kids, function beats style.

As for the EHD, we are really pushing the budget to get a new computer, so I don't want to add another expense, especially since Macs are really more expensive than PCs (DH likes to repeat that to me - he is a pure PC guy! lol!). Back ups aren't really an issue since we have a network double hard disk box thingy (don't know the name in English...) with 2TB of space. All my pictures and scrap stuff are backed up on them.

I think I'm really leaning towards the iMac.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnidge View Post
It really does depends on your needs. I had a laptop and realized that I hardly ever took it with me anywhere... I always was using it in our front room.... so I opted to get the iMac when I upgraded and my desk is in the front room so I can be with the family while I'm on my computer. It was important to me to have a huge HD and lots of RAM... speed and space were more important to ME than portability since I found I never really needed the portability of a laptop.

Plus my iMac is freakin' gorgeous.

Well, that it for me too and for DH, I think we need space and performance more than the flexibility. We always use the computer in the living room.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Well.. I have a macbook and my bf has an iMac.. I would pick the macbook because I love the idea that I can take it with me anywhere, Office, Park.. And while I travel. Anyway, congrats on getting the mac Im sure u'll love it.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:21 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I've been debating this too and when I'm able to get one, I'm getting the iMac. I need that big screen!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I have the iMac and its my baby! I mainly got it for work at home, but I use it for scrapping as well, I love the big screen ( I got the 21", but want to go up to the 24"). I have been known to pack it up and take it on holidays with me! I did just that last christmas when we went to Tasmania for 3 weeks! I needed my baby with me!!
I just got a laptop for my birthday though, so I'll be taking that with me from now on, cause of convenience.

MY BLOG | PINTEREST

BIG FAN!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have both. But, before I got my Macbook back in September, I took my iMac to crops and such and it really isn't that much trouble to tote around since the monitor also contains the computer and the only other thing you'll be carrying is the keyboard and mouse, which you can put in a tote bag.

And I have ALL my digi supplies on my Macbook and there is still plenty of room to store things.