Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Job related - would like some positive thoughts

As you might know, I returned to work after a 8-year hiatus (SAHM/WAHM) last January. I absolutely adore my job: I teach French to public servants, mostly one-on-one, but I also have a group of beginners, so that they can pass their French proficiency test required for certain jobs. Anyway, this has been so beneficial for my mind and my life.

The thing is that the Canadian government announced at the end of May substantial job cuts for the public servants all across Canada, but of course, the Capital region - the Ottawa region, where I live and work - is the most affected and people are scared of requesting French training in these uncertain times. The cuts are going to continue through the summer in different departments but in the meantime, the school where I teach is struggling to get new contracts and our hours were cut significantly. Already 40 teachers were laid off, but the kept me, even though I started in January, so I guess this is positive for me.

Tomorrow, we have a meeting to see what coming up in the next couple of months contract and job-wise and I'll have to decide what I'm going to do. If I let this job go, we need to stop the moving process (our house is for sale and we had the project to buy a house with a mother-in-law suite, but it's not going to be possible if I don't work - the offer expires at the end of may) until I find another job, which I can say won't be easy in the current state of things around here. Or, I could maybe keep my job and work very part-time hours (like 10-15 a week) all this summer and hope that things will pick up in september (which is always the busiest time of the year for French training. Again, this puts our new house project on hold.

The chances of having a full time schedule are kinda slim, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. Of course, the whole situation is not catastrophic, but the uncertainty is killing me. I just want some clear answers so that we can make some concrete decisions. I'm just hoping we'll get these answers tomorrow.

Thank you for reading my ramblings.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:46 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I hope everything works out for you to continue full time. I know how much you've looked forward to getting a new home that meets your needs, so I hope you will be able to continue with your plans. Like you said, the worse part is the uncertainty until you find out. ((hugs))
Old 05-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hoping for the best for you!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thank you girls

As I was saying, it's certainly not the end of the world, it's just living with the uncertainty for the last couple of month has been difficult, and the kids sense it even though we try to shield them from it.

These government cut are affecting everyone around here since it is one of the main employer and many private businesses also depend on the public service. And the real estate business is also slow as a result. Who wants to buy a house when you are not sure to have a job in a month or two? Sucky situation all around.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yuck. : ( I hope you get to keep your job; so glad you love it.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Wishing you all the best! Uncertainty is such a hard state to live in. Hopefully you will have some answers and be able to make some decisions soon. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

Hoping the best for your job!!! It's awesome that you found one that you love!

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Hoping all works out for you sweetie.....keep us posted.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

ugh hon I hope you get to keep your job!! Best of luck to you!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

Sorry you're going through this... uncertainty is the worst. The spring is always a tense and uncertain time in my school district until the next year's school budget is passed because we're never sure if everyone is going to keep their jobs.

Best of luck... I hope things work out!