Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD: 06/24 Noise

Are there certain noises that you hear a lot in your area, or home? Do you block it out or does it irritate you? What are some enjoyable noises? Do you live in a quiet area or a noisy area?
Old 06-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I thought of this question today b/c Taz is driving us crazy this morning LOL.

Darrell is home from work today (he's taking off most Monday's throughout the summer as mini holidays/long wkends). Taz is almost constantly barking at the squirrels and birds outside at the feeders. I think he's showing off for D, showing how good he is at scaring off the critters LOL.

We live in a woodsy area with lots of wildlife but it's also heavily populated so there are a lot of home/townhouses and apartment bldgs around. We hear a lot of car and house alarms going off at all hours. We glance outside but it happens so much we mostly ignore it unless it's really loud b/c then maybe its one of our vehicles.

I'm sure most of you know (from seeing my LOs), my happy noise is the birds chirping outside. We are early risers, usually between 6-7, so early morning chirping doesn't bother us, we find it a nice way to start off the day, seeing and hearing the birds in the backyard/at the porch feeders. I never thought my hubs would enjoy watching the birds so much but he does. He will call out excitedly to me when new ones come or when they are doing something interesting.

The most annoying noise is the coyotes. Their howl is very chilling and eerie.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I struggle really bad with noise.. I have misophonia. Some people have mild forms where they have trouble with noises like eating sounds/chewing and then some people hate most sounds (yay I fall into this category) I have struggled since I was 11.. back then there wasn't a name for it. Years ago it was called 4s and then eventually misophonia became the term but most doctors still don't know anything about it and there is no cure or real solid treatment

I wear earplugs 24/7 unless i'm not at home and I always have a white noise machine going too. It pretty much impacts my entire life. I try to hide it when I'm with people as I"m really embarrassed by it and I don't want people to know how bad it can actually be for me. I don't think i'd be able to work out of the home so I'm really really thankful that I'm able to do what I do for a job. Often times I think people think i'm just being dramatic or overreacting but there isn't a day I don't think about it.

Dogs barking and music from neighbours is a huge struggle
Old 06-24-2019, 01:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We live in a similar area Rae- neighbors, but in the hills with LOTS of wildlife! Just yesterday there was a little tiny fawn that was sitting in our backyard trees with no mama around- He was gone later in the day, so I'm hoping mama came back to pick him up!

As far as noise- we have a neighbor dog who barks- but I've befriended the owners & they are much better about quieting the dog down. The WORST right now is the owls at night that sit in the pine trees I swear RIGHT outside our bedroom window & hoo-hoo at each other all night long! As long as I get to sleep early before they get going I"m fine, but if I wake up & hear them, I find it impossible to go back to sleep!
Old 06-24-2019, 04:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Wow - that sounds horrible, Kristin. I have not heard about it before. I know I am thankful that you are available to create such beautiful things for us to enjoy.

Where i live is pretty quiet & I like it a lot. We can hear the freeway faintly, but I don't really notice it most of the time. My kids have all played the piano and I love to hear that being played. I struggle with two things sound-wise. I can't handle repetitive sounds (minecraft or video game background music anyone?). I also struggle with listening to beginning violinists. I played violin as a child and have a pretty good ear and cannot handle the playing of beginning violinists because they haven't mastered finger placement for being in tune. I have a difficult time keeping a neutral expression during concerts where they play LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
I struggle really bad with noise.. I have misophonia. Some people have mild forms where they have trouble with noises like eating sounds/chewing and then some people hate most sounds (yay I fall into this category) I have struggled since I was 11.. back then there wasn't a name for it. Years ago it was called 4s and then eventually misophonia became the term but most doctors still don't know anything about it and there is no cure or real solid treatment

I wear earplugs 24/7 unless i'm not at home and I always have a white noise machine going too. It pretty much impacts my entire life. I try to hide it when I'm with people as I"m really embarrassed by it and I don't want people to know how bad it can actually be for me. I don't think i'd be able to work out of the home so I'm really really thankful that I'm able to do what I do for a job. Often times I think people think i'm just being dramatic or overreacting but there isn't a day I don't think about it.

Dogs barking and music from neighbours is a huge struggle

Last edited by stephc777; 06-24-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've gotten more sensitive to noise as I've aged. I'm really sensitive to repetitive noises. Like clicking their pen constantly, or when my toddler starts banging stuff I immediately tense up. I also hate chewing noises, slurping and nail clipping. I can definitely tune out some noise. It's very situational.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I've gotten more sensitive to noise as I've aged. I'm really sensitive to repetitive noises. Like clicking their pen constantly, or when my toddler starts banging stuff I immediately tense up. I also hate chewing noises, slurping and nail clipping. I can definitely tune out some noise. It's very situational.
Yes...me too!!! My hubs drives me insane when he clicks the battery tab on the tv remote repeatedly or when he taps his finger nails on the table. He does it without even being aware of doing it and I have to ask him to stop before I go insane.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kristin - ear plugs sound like a good idea and thankfully you are working at home. I think you should discuss it whenever appropriate with people b/c that's how others will start to understand. I had never heard of that term. I know Bailey struggles with noises now and we got her noise blocking headphones so she can put those on and lay back and relax when she feels stressed.

Amie - glad the neighbor's dog is quieter now. I remember you talking about it before and being worried about how it could be resolved.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

On the home front, I love to listen to the birds chirping outside … we live in a pretty rural area so there aren't a lot of other noises going on most of the time.
On the work front … a co-worker that sat on the other side of the office from me always played her radio a bit too loud. I asked her to turn it down, which she did - and then she started singing! Ha ha. I have since moved to a different (much quieter!) office!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:40 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

We live in a big city and right by an 8-lanes road, so noise is unavoidable. There is also almost always a construction going on somewhere near, so we hear those heavy machineries digging the ground a lot, as well as some people living above/below us drilling the wall.
I used to go crazy because of them, I am not a big city girl and I love quietness and nature noises instead. I'd welcome the rain drops, bird chirping and cicadas any time! But, I am slowly getting used to it, since I have no way around it, except for masking the noises by listening to music that I like.

I too am sensitive to some repetitive noises, my husband's fidgeting drives me up the wall, the sound of a drone flying gives me headache that I have to stay away from DH and DS, when they play the drone.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I grew up CODA (child of a deaf adult)... my mom had ultra powerful hearing aids from when I was 2 years old - deaf in one year and if she took the aid out of her other, deaf... up until a few years ago when she lost the rest of her hearing and then had cochlear implants. I was my mom's ears, for the most part... so I've always been pretty tuned into sounds and they usually don't bother me too much.

However, right now since May, they are doing road work on the road that butts up to our back yard... so from 6:30am to 6pm or so, it's constant road construction noise. They should be done by August.

Otherwise, I live in the residential area. We have a major highway not that far away that I hear road noise, but that blends in the background since have been here for 15 years. We have a lot of birds. The only noise that can drive me insane is that across the street (the one they are working on) is a church, set waaaaay back. They are known locally as the "rock concert" church - and I can hear their thumping bass anytime there is a service, youth event concert, or band practice. My windows can be closed and I can feel the vibrations in the floors. They refuse to be good neighbors and turn it down... multiple neighbors have called the cops more than once, but they some how know and not play when the cop is there. *sigh*
Old 06-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We live in an old farm house and we're surrounded by cornfields...which means there are tractors...and manure trucks...running all hours of the night and day. Not every day, but still drives me nuts when they are plowing at 2 am...
Old 06-25-2019, 02:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I live in a residential area so it’s somewhat noisy with cars and motorcycles but not all the time. Sometimes dogs barking, planes flying over but I can’t hear them unless I’m outside. Lots of birds tweeting too which is annoying at 5am lol.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So interesting to read how different our experiences are. I'm loving this thread!
Old 06-25-2019, 04:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have misophonia too, and it is not much fun. I was much worse about noises when I was younger--definitely had a fight or flight response to chewing noises, gum popping, any annoying sound my brother made, unbalanced ceiling fans, the ticking of the grandfather clock and the sound of music (or just bass) coming from other rooms in the house or outside. I was a mess! I've learned to handle most of these now, but there are times when I just have to leave. We use a lot of white noise to drown things out, but to this day I can't be in the same room as my husband when he starts typing on the keyboard of his computer. I love natural sounds, though, as they tend to drown out the annoying human sounds. So birds, wind, leaves rustling, rain--these are good things for me!

I think I may just have sensory issues though, because lights also really bug me. Fluorescent lights are the worst and the buzz from outdoor sodium lights makes me crazy. Light shining in from under the door at night or in the window really bothers me.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am much more sensitive to kid noise than adult noise. Family gatherings on one side where there are 6 kids playing, running, & shouting on top of each other set me on edge. I could never be a teacher (not only the noise but also not being able to have my own space). I am also really sensitive/embarrassed about noise that happens when it's not supposed to be --- people talking during class, a movie, church, etc. Being in a large talkative crowd does not bother me -- I can tune it out to a murmur.

We live in a relatively quiet neighborhood without much traffic. I'm sure there are birds and other Nature noises that I completely tune out. The houses are very close together but all of our closest neighbors are child-free or have grown children. The boys that my son plays with down the alley never come down this way (not sure if they're not allowed or just not interested) so he goes there to make noise & play. A couple have dogs that bark sometimes but, thankfully, not excessively.

I'm a very light sleeper so I appreciate the lack of outside noises. We have plenty of inside noises to make up for them.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

There aren't too many noises that bother me, so long as they're not too loud.

I have tinnitus so actually prefer some noise to mask the 24/7 high pitch ringing in my ears. If its too quiet, and I start thinking about it, the ringing really bugs me.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:33 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Noises have really never bothered me since honestly I can't stand being in a "quiet" house/car. In fact I always had to have the TV on to do homework. I can't seem to focus when it is quiet so I would turn the TV on and turn my back to it.

I live in a rural area so if I leave the windows open I can hear birds, frogs and squirrels.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I live in the country. It is so incredibly quiet out here, at least what I consider quiet. No traffic noise, no neighbors, etc. There are times when it is practically silent. I'm not a fan of noise, so this is heavenly for me. Except when it isn't... 2 minutes ago it was silent. Now I hear coyotes and my two LGDs barking at them.

When I am really trying to concentrate, I need quiet. I HATE when I am sitting in the living room working on homework and my husband comes in and puts on a movie. I end up having to go into the bedroom to study because I can't focus.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:56 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I live on the edge of a suburb, so it's mostly quiet especially compared to my old apartment which was near a main road and loud. I even had trouble sleeping through the silence when I first moved here. The sounds I head the most are kids playing, lawns being mowed, people enjoying the outside. I love it here.