Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-17-2019, 12:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Reading False Starts...

Ugh. My reading momentum was seriously hindered this week with two false starts. Don't you just hate it when that happens??!! It's so frustrating. Especially when you get past a certain point and have already invested several hours/days into that particular reading journey.

The first was The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson... which is a truly remarkable book, honestly! The writing is fantastic and the world building is phenomenal... but after 300 pages, I just wasn't sure I was up to following these characters for another 700 pages! Yikes. I may choose to pick this up again at a later date, so I'm not officially labeling it a "DNF".

The second was The Gilded Wolves - Roshani Chokshi... it's another book filled with terrific writing... but after 175 pages, I just couldn't connect with any of the characters, and often found myself feeling complete apathy for the entire story. I'm not sure what happened, so I've decided to stop for now. Again, I hope to restart this one eventually, but at this time, it's not happening.

So what do you do when this happens?? Is it an issue that occurs often for you? How much leeweay do you allow a book before you call it quits? And once you stop, is it likely that you'll start it again later?

Thankfully this doesn't happen to me very often.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Gosh, I feel your pain! I seriously hate it when that happens. Honestly it's been so long since I even tried to get into something that I don't remember the last one I tried. I need a good series!!
Old 02-17-2019, 02:06 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Good for you! I used to trudge through books, tv series, various projects... they were totally joyless and a waste of my time but I felt invested, so I forced myself to finish.

I've gotten better at just walking away in the past few years. This year I actually made it a part of my WOBs (ways of being). I will walk away from projects that do not serve me anymore, guilt free.

It's really liberating!
Old 02-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ya, that happens to me too. I have 2 digital library accts so always have an assortment of books to read and only get 3 wks to borrow (unless I can renew) so I won't waste my time if a book doesn't grab me pretty quickly. But....if it was somewhat interesting, I hate to just let it go so I will skim and fast forward through a few paragraphs here and there, just enough to get an idea of how it ends. Life's too short to read a book that doesn't really grab you, right? Especially the long ones. I'm reading one now that is kind of middle of the road for me but it is a really short one so I'm going to keep going and if need be....will skim. I'm hoping it picks up and I think it might.

Sweet Lamb of Heaven